Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status/1478464261575823364

quote:

The court heard how Thomas, of Mayfield Road, Port Talbot, tried to break into the building just days after it was revealed the piece was set to leave Wales. Prosecutor Sian Cotter told the court neighbours called the police after hearing him breaking a window at 05:30 GMT.

"Witnesses heard him saying, 'It's the only thing in Port Talbot and they are taking it away'," she said. "A couple and their five-year-old child heard the defendant shouting, 'It's for us. They're taking it away, some rich man has it'.

Thomas was given a 14-month suspended prison sentence, suspended for two years.

Judge Geraint Walters told him: "There was an intention to move the Banksy artwork out of Port Talbot to the London area, and that angered you. It may well be that it was not Banksy's intention that the painting should ever leave Port Talbot. I am aware the decision to remove the work has caused consternation in some quarters."

The judge said Thomas reacted "bizarrely" by breaking into the building with the intention of destroying the Banksy. He added: "This work does now belong to an individual who has had to pay for it."

"The commercial reality is that it is a work of art of great value and now it's in private ownership."
Extremely powerful :capitalism: aura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Angepain posted:

Why was it just those four that were put on trial, anyway? Are those the ones the police managed to track down or the ones who were willing to contest it in court or what
The former I think, they were charged with causing criminal damage together with "others unknown".

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

namesake posted:

Bojos Wild Adventure.
'Mr. Johnson's Mild Ride'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Remember the outcry a few months ago when a judge decided not to jail a neo-Nazi who downloaded 70,000 white supremacist documents and bomb-making manuals, and ordered him to read some classic literature instead? Well, good news everyone:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It'll be lovely in a year or two, I assume.
My mum was a primary school teacher when the Angel of the North was first built, and the school arranged little outings for the kids to go behold the new Symbol of the Region or whatever. So mum takes her class of Year 1s out, and they all look at it silently for a minute, and then one of them goes 'Well... it'll look nice when it's painted, won't it, Miss?'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jamiesmart/status/1484574028459384833

TBF this is how I think people should react to anyone wearing a top hat now. At best they're a magician (or, as Sam Delaney calls them, a hand-liar), and at worst they're an Etonian.

(It's possible there might be an Etonian magician out there and if so I hope to plummet from a cliff while locked in battle with them)
Not to ruin it, but that article's probably a Victorian era joke/fabrication.

The modern day point still stands though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1485608608683503620

quote:

Duff was arrested on 5 May 2013 on suspicion of obstructing and assaulting police after trying to hand a legal advice card to a 15-year-old caught in a stop-and-search sweep in Hackney – allegations she was later cleared of in court. She was taken to Stoke Newington police station, where Sgt Kurtis Howard, in charge of the custody area, ordered the search when she refused to cooperate with officers.

In 2018 Howard appeared before a disciplinary panel, which cleared him of gross misconduct. He argued the search was necessary to assess any risk Duff might pose to herself, and its chair concluded his actions were those of a responsible officer. The CCTV footage now obtained by Duff of the police station custody area on the day she was searched shows Howard telling officers to show her “resistance is futile” and to search her “by any means necessary”.

“Treat her like a terrorist,” he says. “I don’t care.”

In a cell, three female officers bound Duff by her hands and feet, pinned her to the floor and cut her clothes off with scissors. Duff described the ordeal, which left her with a number of visible injuries, as like a sexual assault.

The CCTV footage then shows the officers who searched Duff returning to the reception. A male officer asks them: “Didn’t find anything untoward on her, ladies?”

“A lot of hair,” one of the female officers replies. The others laugh.

About a minute later, as two male officers go through Duff’s possessions, one asks in mock alarm: “Sorry, sorry, what’s that smell?”

“Oh, it’s her knickers, yeah?” his colleague replies.

A female officer then returns again from handling Duff. “Ugh, I feel disgusting; I’m going to need a shower,” she says.

“You need defumigating,” a male officer tells her.

Another female officer asks her: “Is she rank?”

“No, she’s not actually,” she says.

“She is, her clothes stink,” another male officer says.

“Is it? Her body isn’t,” she replies.

The Met did not say whether any officers had faced disciplinary action, but said allegations of misconduct relating to the comments had been referred to its professional standards directorate. “This investigation remains ongoing,” it said.
Jesus Christ

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1485990630610329615
Sounds like they're all just winging it, tbh.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Terror Threat: More Images of Boris Johnson Could be Released Imminently

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1486334067842899968
Is it still a Witch Hunt when they have, like 20 different videos of you turning people into toads?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

BBC are reporting applause, cheers and MPs being turned away because it's so crowded. What's the loving point, I hope the Tories do scrap it all.
I am enjoying the live feed, which appears to be alternating entries between

:( : grieving family member describes how their mother died scared and alone

:) : a tory source tells us 'another Brilliant Barnstorming performance by Bulldog Boris, he's played a Blinder'

:( : these red wall swing voters say it's unbelievable how politicians could be smiling and laughing about this terrible thing

:) : a tory source tells us 'Boris has got the party onside, we were all smiling and laughing in the meeting'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

Everything is a crime if someone in power wants it to be, the law is just there to give lawyers something to do.