Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH the problem is I have *too many* ideas, nowhere near enough execution, and the too many ideas end up killing whatever execution I actually try because I just hating it for not containing all of the ideas I do have.

I *have* got the beginnings of an idea of how to square this particular circle but I have to test it out. Also THAT FUCKER Jago Hazzard has literally just done the exact idea I had as a test of it (a walk around the London wall); I need to work out a way to use this apparent psychic link we have to get him to hand over all his patreon money to me.

If you’re open to suggestions then: just pick an idea, execute and iterate. The perfect really is the enemy of the good, and if you try one and it doesn’t work you at least can mark it off and see what bits you can move forward. Ideas are really plentiful, but execution is everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

keep punching joe posted:

John major was fairly normal (with the exception of being pegged by Edwina Currie). He even had a relatively normal school life, and shunned following in the footsteps of his circus parents to be a bank clerk.

The only man in history to run away from the circus to join a bank.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Deketh posted:

Oh really? Alright, thanks. I'll have to take a closer look at the catalogues

You can take a look at JustWatch and put in a few things you might like to see and see where they're streaming.

Plus all of these have trials or single monthly subs, so you can switch around.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Let's see him find three friends.

Four friends. There's no way he'll put himself at risk doing it. Better to 'just ask questions' and 'oh my, I cannot believe someone did this!' after.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s interesting about the NMS tags! Awful app doesn’t hide the content (which is fine with me) but it’s a cool idea.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

I still have a Raclette I bought in LIDL 8 years ago in germany that i have never even plugged in but have taken it through 4 countries...its got a heating coil, some super hefy cooking plates and 8 little non stick pans for melting raclette and or nibblies in that go under the heating element like a grill.

One day... One day i will host a dinner party with lots of little cheesy nibblies and things and it will be the pride of the table. At which point I'll plug it in and it'll either burn the house down or be so laughably ineffective it won't even melt the cheese.

I don't even own a table to have a dinner party on because lol. People visiting.

I now want to go browse the aisle of wonder =(

If this is the one that has a heavy stone on one half and a metal plate on the other (and coloured buttons on each of the little pans) then I've been using the same for about 7 years now and it's absolutely amazing. (Bought in LIDL in France)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

Thats the one!!

Try and use it - it's an absolute trooper considering the price. You can use the trays to do more than just cheese too - eggs fry nicely in them, you can warm gherkins etc. Cook bits of meat and ham on the stone bit too. Man, I want a raclette now.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

By the Freddo index (taking the price of a freddo and looking at how that has changed) I worked out that even at £70 a game, games are slightly cheaper than they were when I was buying them in the early 2000s. I'm sure I put my working on this forum somewhere.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

"On the throne" doesn't necessarily imply also being alive, I suppose

E: posted while I'm on the throne

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Reveilled posted:

I always found it amusing how this picture makes it look like The Emperor of Man is wearing flares, like Horus attacked earth while the Emperor was at the dancing and he didn't have time to change out of his threads before having the fight that led to him getting dumped on the throne. Maybe he's only called the emperor of man cause he was wearing a huge necklace with a male symbol pendant when it happened.

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY DISCO

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I don't think he's ever resigned a job in his life, he'll have to be fired like all the others.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

They can only challenge once a year though right? Must be tempted to wait until after the May locals.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Question IRL posted:

The "Avril Lavine died in 2003 thing" requires her to have died of an accident. But the record label had a bunch of her songs to release and decided it was better to have a fake Avril Lavine made to keep up the air rather than admit she ever died. Like it moves from a conspiracy to a conspiracy to keep a cover up going.
And it's not like Avril Lavine has been some multimillion dollar money making machine since 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JTdAUv9Uik

And that would work because artists famously have no demand for them after they die suddenly.

That's why you've never heard any songs by Elvis, B.I.G, Tu-Pac, Cobain, Holly, Holiday.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gravity is a gently caress anyway though, who knows how it might work?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

What about sending an associate to measure the shadow on a building of known height a certain time while you measure another one a known distance away at the same time? You could keep in contact to know it's at the same minute.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

"Garden-gate" was right there Steerpike, you absolute hack.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

:golfclap:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Would TV tax be more progressive if it were charged by the inch?

There used to be a black and white discount, so maybe?

Should be full-on means tested if it has to exist. I know 'BUYING FLATSCREEN TVS ON BENEFITS' is still a trope (despite non-flatscreens not being available for years) but a decent TV investment is a very, very efficient entertainment-per-pound use for someone who doesn't have much disposable income, especially if there are children.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Going to make a short film about how prince andrew encrypted a child in a pizza express.

you wouldn’t encrypt a CHILD

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

I had some of that along a silicone seam in my kitchen, I ended up getting that hypochlorite gel that you leave on for 4 hours and it works much better than anything else that I tried

Tell me more.

Seriously, I want to sort out mould on some seals before I move out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Great mould chat! Thanks everyone, have some shopping to do.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

1965917 posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1483321790168702978

OAP bus pass is an acceptable form of ID, student rail card or student pass isn't.

Feeling depressed today, its just one torrent of poo poo after another.

quote:

In this rule a “specified document” means any of the following

documents (in whatever form issued to the holder and regardless
of any expiry date) that contain a photograph of the holder—
(a) a United Kingdom passport (see paragraph (1I));
(b) a passport issued by an EEA state or a Commonwealth
country;
(c) a licence to drive a motor vehicle granted under—
(i) Part 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, or
(ii) the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 (SI
1981/154 (N.I. 1));
(d) a driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands,
the Isle of Man or an EEA state;
(e) a biometric immigration document issued in accordance
with regulations under section 5 of the UK Borders Act
2007;
(f) an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards
Scheme hologram (a PASS card);
(g) a Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card);
(h) any of the following concessionary travel passes—
(i) one funded by the Government of the United
Kingdom, the Scottish Government or the Welsh
Government;
(ii) an Oyster 60+ card;
(iii) a Freedom Pass;

(i) any of the following concessionary travel passes issued
under the Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme—
(i) a Senior SmartPass;
(ii) a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s
SmartPass;
(iii) a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled
SmartPass;
(iv) a 60+ SmartPass;
(v) a Half Fare SmartPass;
(j) a badge of a form prescribed under section 21 of the
Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 or section
14 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons (Northern
Ireland) Act 1978 (blue badge scheme);
(k) an electoral identity document issued under section 13BD
(electoral identity document: Great Britain);
(l) an anonymous elector’s document issued under section
13BE (anonymous elector’s document: Great Britain) the
holder of which has an anonymous entry at the time of
the application for a ballot paper;
(m) an electoral identity card issued under section 13C
(electoral identity card: Northern Ireland);
(n) a national identity card issued by an EEA state.

Relevant part bolded. Unless the student railcard/passes are governement funded?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm intrigued about the idea of counting the letters. We know that only Sir Graham Brady gets them and have to take his word that they've been received.

But when they've 'reached' 54, does he then have to prove it? Or does he just say it's at 54, vote time.

I get that he'd be stupid to make it up, because if you can't get 54 to trigger then you won't get the vote through, but even that raises another question. If the vote can only be held each 12 months, could he 'declare' early to make sure it fails?

Regarding the Hodges tweet, much as I'd love it to be true, Hodge's is full of poo poo normally, so it would be hypocritical to believe this one just because it's what I want.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 19, 2022

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Answers Me posted:

Is the running tally made known to them too? I can't remember from the May one. If so, I should imagine there's a flurry towards the end, with people hedging their bets submitting only when they're sure it'll definitely go through.

As far as I can tell it's totally up to him.

Jedit posted:

No, because there's no deadline by which letters must be submitted. Once an MP puts a letter in to the 1922, it's there unless and until he withdraws it. As soon as there are sufficient letters, a leadership contest is triggered.

Sure, but my question is "does Brady ever have to actually prove anything (to the 1922 comm)?". Could he just decide it's time for a vote and lie? Or conversely do the opposite?

By every 12 months, I mean that they can only hold a vote of no confidence every 12 months, not that there's a deadline for the letters.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rustybear posted:

i asked this yday and i think the answer is he doesn't have to prove anything, so he can def do extreme grey area poo poo like hold off announcing teh threshold has been reached while the whips try to talk a few into retracting or announcing early to encourage others to bandwagon and get over the line proper if anyone checks the numbers later somehow

Ah, nice one, found your previous post and I'll read around that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

What is the story behind that list? Where did it come from? Rory Stewart's entry (as it were) is perfect.

Stewart's entry is absolutely incredible for sure.

I seem to remember it being leaked about 4 years ago.

Interesting to look at it now knowing things about e.g. Hancock.

Liam Fox's entry is something too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Prole posted:

Been here a week now. Want to say thanks for welcoming me, even if you did all think I was a spy or a banned user at first. Totally understandable given the way I barged in, and no biggy I hope. Good in here, init?! Here's to the future.

(Also, I didn't realise that list of Tories having it off with their assistants etc was released in 2017 originally... How did I miss that?!)

I'd take it as a compliment - it's unusual to have someone join who's got their finger so much on the pulse and in tune with the thread right from the off.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

keep punching joe posted:

Trump speeches are so brain meltingly stream of consciousness, worth it purely for the "where are you going with this?" novelty.

I've only ever seen one person manage to convincingly mimic just how insane and non-sequitur they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-ZBYyjsko

I agree entirely - so many impersonations are relying on the likes of 'the biggest, just juuge', the hand gestures and hyperbole, but missing that the real uniqueness is the stream of consciousness and the way that he starts so many more sentences than he finishes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Reveilled posted:

I find it truly remarkable that the idea that the people who engineered this pandemic are using it to pre-vaccinate their sheep against a much more deadly plague that they plan to release in the near future and is 100% fatal in unvaccinated individuals seems never to come up among conspiracy theorists. Get rid of all the malcontents, leave behind the docile ones who do what they're told.

gently caress it, let's use that to meet the anti-vaxers half way.

"COVID was engineered by the government. They've also produced a vaccine, so that everyone who listens to the government and their so-called experts will survive, and everyone else will die. You can either listen to the government and live, or not and die because of them. But you can't Fight The Good Fight™ if you're dead so I guess take the vaccine for now?"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

notaspy posted:

I don't see us "savage, orc-like inhabitants" of South London so aggressively, and mindlessly slagging off you (presumably) North Londoner's.

Or maybe you were looking at a mirror when you typed this.

I'm 90% sure goddamnedtwisto is Isle of Dogs, which although it's technically north of the river is south london in my book.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

I noticed an odd change in Wikipedia's nomenclature for towns/cities/villages where that naming may be contentious, but suddenly it makes sense.

So what is settling the Isle of Dogs? :cthulhu:

(Other than the obvious answer :shibe:)

I am moving to Streatham in the next month so shall relate back the status of the humans settled there.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I bought a “gaming chair” for my office use and it’s great. Very adjustable and comfortable. Only problem is you look like a wannabe streamer.

Regarding office chairs - sites like reyooz allow you to get ex office clear outs.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aerons are actually pretty cheap considering they're effectively indestructible - there's ones in my office that are left over from the dotcom era when they were part of the tech company starter pack with an SGI desktop and a 21" Trinitron. Funny thing is they're not actually that comfortable, at least without investing hours in tweaking them.

I was very excited when I started in a place that had Aerons. Until I started using it and was really disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And https://www.reyooz.com/