Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

We're supposed to be going to my sister's house for a second attempt at christmas, but my wife drank a whole bottle of champagne last night and decided to get up this morning and take a tylenol on an empty stomach, so instead I'm sitting around while she pukes for hours.

I kind of want to go over there just to drop off presents & food, but my wife wants me to stay home and it's an hour each way.

I hope everyone else is ringing in the new year a bit better.

My condolences to her liver. (Acetaminophen interacts very badly with alcohol and should never be used to treat a hangover, as it can lead to liver toxicity.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Silly Burrito posted:

Sometimes the best thing a husband can do is to shut his mouth. :)

Speaking as an ex-husband ... truth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

he was a huge drug addict

Yeah, Saget had a well-publicized cocaine habit.

Still a bummer. His telling of The Aristocrats will always be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHeZS3mGDKY

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Braksgirl posted:

Same but if we're doing 90s clothes again, I want my grunge back. Or the flowery dresses with the little t-shirts underneath. Those were fun.

My fashion is so boring. I basically wear jeans and a button-down shirt, occasionally with a sweater, and that's been my style for like 20 years.

Edit: Hell, my haircut / style hasn't changed in 20 years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Give me a closet full of No Fear shirts

Are you my older brother? He basically wears ratty No Fear shirts and a Dale Earnhardt baseball cap. He even tried to wear the cap at his wedding (until my mother actually got up and yanked it off his head while he was standing at the altar).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

Man, I haven't thought about tubgirl in like over a decade looooool

what a weird internet time

You and I are roughly the same age (I'll be 38 in July); it's really kind of amazing to think of what the Internet was like 20 years ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

I just remember all the trial discs of Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom....

Flipping a billion 3.5 floppies to play 688 Attack Sub.

Great times.

My first real PC gaming experience was switching out like 100 5 1/4 floppies to play the original Mechwarrior. It was a real lesson in pain.

I think my first real PC gaming experience, outside of poo poo like Reader Rabbit and Number Munchers and all those educational games, was playing Strike Fleet, a horribly crude naval simulator.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

This was like a mindblowing high tech video game intro back in the day and I have no memory of what the actual game looked like, but it's very funny to remember.

Mech2 looked incredible for its time, and, honestly, the gameplay still holds up. I keep it and Ghost Bear's Legacy (I never liked either installment of Mercenaries) installed on a WinXP machine I have in my closet. Given how much of a clusterfuck MechWarrior 2's production was--they were doing some insane programming tricks to get it to run--it's a miracle it turned out as well as it did.

The soundtrack is still an absolute banger, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM3MwpkVYKQ

Braksgirl posted:

I got a Commodore 64 when I was 10 and I thought I was hot poo poo.

We had some sort of Atari computer when I was a Tiny Timby, and all I remember of it is getting blisters on my fingers from using some atrocious Epyx controller to play Winter Games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Loved Mech Warrior 2, it was tough from what I remember.

Some of the Clan Jade Falcon missions are downright unbeatable without using cheats.

Edit: Like on the scale of you being in some pissant Rifleman and getting ambushed by three or four Dire Wolves.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 11, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abugadu posted:

Apple II+ for me, though the neighbors had a TI and a Commodore 64, so we didn’t miss out on anything early.

I think my elementary school had Apple IIs (and then in fifth grade, which would have been like, I don't know, 1993 or '94, we got a Commodore 64 in our classroom :lol:), and then I learned video editing on a goddamn Video Toaster in 7th grade.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, I get what you're saying but AOL, IRC, BBSs, stuff like that weren't subject to a malignant algorithm and the sort of automated funneling toward extreme ends of every ideology and interest.

That's true, but IRC in particular was home to a lot of malignant poo poo. There was some incredibly awful poo poo that got passed around in the #wcnews channel on DALnet back in the day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was playing old DOS games (IIRC Dungeon and the ever classic Oregon Trail) when computers first came out. I remember when data storage on home computers were on cassette tape. :corsair:

I used to manage an Irish-themed bar in Galena, Illinois. Each night, I had to back up the night's receipts on a data tape.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CannonFodder posted:

That sounds like trying to score some coke but you're not a regular so they have to send you three places first so they can get all the money they can.

But the cocaine is Photoshop 6.2

Hey, I learned Photoshop on 4. Before the program had vector text. Talk about hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freaquency posted:

There’s many an editor who has enlivened a slow news day by sending a junior reporter out to the town square to spring citizen ship test questions on unsuspecting passers by.

I mean, this was basically the entire concept of Jaywalking when Leno hosted The Tonight Show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I love Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan the most of all the Trek movies, and I feel that Star Trek: First Contact treads similar ground (as well as taking stuff from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).

That said, First Contact is still a rewatchable fim to me.

The Wrath of Khan is very, very good, but there are times when the movie's tiny budget (it was produced by Paramount's television division, and they had a deal to sell it to ABC as a movie of the week if the higher-ups weren't liking the dailies) is really, really obvious--Reliant's bridge just being a redress of the Enterprise; Kirk and Khan never actually meeting because they could only afford to have Montalban for a few weeks; re-used footage from The Motion Picture; re-used model from The Motion Picture; Regula One is just the orbital office model from TMP flipped upside-down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Robert Rodriguez directed so it’s gonna look cheap. Plus I think the fact a lot of stuff seemed practical for it didn’t help

Rodriguez only directed two of the seven episodes of the series. They're using the same StageCraft technology as The Mandalorian. And Dean Cundey is one of the directors of photography, it shouldn't look cheap.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amy Pole Her posted:

2 out of 3 Peacemakers - it’s fun as hellllll
1 boba fett - nope. It’s amazing to me how simply a being Star Wars property gives shows / movies a +5 in some folks ratings. It’s horribly boring

I think the issue is that there just isn't much to Boba Fett as a character. Prior to this show, what did he ever do?

1) Picked up his father's decapitated head.
2) Followed the Millennium Falcon to Cloud City.
3) Got yeeted into a sand pit by a blind man.

That's it. There's nothing else there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, I remember being blown away by the graphics on Need for Speed 2 on PC and seeing it on youtube now is pretty loving hilarious.

I had Need for Speed 2 for the PlayStation and it was amazing just how much of a step down from the first game it was. It was nigh-unplayable due to an atrocious frame rate, and the car handling was beyond terrible.

And then Hot Pursuit came out on PlayStation a year later and all was right in the world.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 14, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There's something oddly peaceful about being the only passenger on an intercity bus. Makes the trip from Dubuque to Madison nice and quiet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was in Wisconsin spending the long weekend with my girlfriend, you ding-dongs.

First off, I am eternally grateful to all of y'all who gave me some cash to help me float through some tough times.

Second, I'll explain the probe. It wasn't an SA Mart thing, it was a private transaction via another forum. I was literally on the way to mail a DVD set to a fellow, and my bus got re-routed from downtown Madison because of the George Floyd protests. A day or two later, oh, hey, I was hospitalized again. And then spent ages in and out of the hospital. In a drug-induced haze, I sold that set to someone else for cash.

That fellow, justifiably, wanted his money back. I said I'd get it to him by January 1, because I have been working full-time since December 13. My agency pays weekly. I had to cover some utilities before I could do so, so I ate the probe. But then I paid him back, with interest, with money from my own paychecks and nothing that I have been (very graciously) given from y'all.

Does that answer things?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Where did your bus get rerouted to, a crack house. The time skip there is concerning

I mean aside from literally admitting you comitted fraud

I committed no fraud. Look it up: The central Madison, WI, post office is on the Capitol Square. It got torched and boarded up. Buses were suddenly getting rerouted. I lived in Fitchburg at the time, which is not exactly a stone's throw from downtown Madison, particularly on a bus route.

I loving paid the guy with money that I can show from a W2. Jesus Christ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bill Dungsroman posted:

But...you sold it to someone else. You said you did.

Yeah, and I made the other guy whole. With interest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress it. People asked me to tell the story, I told it.

See y'all on the other side.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

And Timby made the other goon whole plus interest which seems fair!

That was always my intent. I knew I did the guy bad during the time when I was out of the hospital (which, as some of you may recall, was very little during 2019 -2021), so I paid him back plus interest. I'm grateful to be working full-time--even though my contract ends in April--and I work to make good on my debts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress it. I'm getting emails harassing me. I explained how I didn't defraud anyone, how I made the guy whole, paid him interest, and y'all know that I spent most of 2019 and 2020 in the hospital. Congratulations, you have successfully chased me off the forum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ostentatious posted:

hold strong like I did when I got harassing telegrams from when I said Derek Carr is good. We cannot lose another posting superstar

Go gently caress yourself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pedant: A tax return is the paperwork you file. The tax refund is the money (if any) you get back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrLogan posted:

Timby being pedantic about refunding money is not the twist I expected.

I have journalism and PR degrees (edit: and I work in marketing, despite being a Salesforce / Pardot admin at the moment). Being pedantic comes naturally. :v:

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 18, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigPaddy posted:

I worked on Salesforce/Adobe Campaign integrations for 5 years. You have my sympathy.

Right? My contract might get extended because they're migrating from Pardot to Markeo (barf) and I know that platform as well,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’ll pet every dog itt.

Hell I’ll pet every dog ott.

My will is indomitable.

Want to help me form a rescue team to liberate my dog from my ex-wife?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pops Mgee posted:

I watched Eternals the other night. Pretty boring.

That was my takeaway. It's not bad, just boring and aggressively mediocre.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Eternals felt super rushed. Just didn’t enjoy it much.

Nothing is as bad as the Disney marvel TV shows, though. Every one of them has ranged from “decent” to “insultingly bad” with Loki and Scarlett Witch being the two best by far, which doesn’t say much

Hawkeye was good. WandaVision was awful, and I can't recall a single thing about Loki outside of Richard E. Grant showing up in pajamas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dirty shrimp money posted:

New at the shrimp money house this week:

A good and noble tiel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, if was still living in my old apartment, WFH would have driven me crazy, but I already had a dedicated office space in my current house, so it was an easier transition. Especially once I got a second monitor

I'll be honest, WFH is kind of rough on me because I live in a three-room apartment (living room / kitchen, bathroom, bedroom). There isn't any room for separating work from the rest of my life, which, to be honest, sucks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Play posted:

Yeah I'd probably like it more if I had a separate office instead of just me sitting unshowered on my couch in the exact same place I play video games and watch movies and tv from. Also there's no free espresso and motivation is harder to come by.

My boss wants me to work remote after I move back to CA but I've been feeling for a while that I'd rather get a fresh start and find something else. Doesn't help that my organization is kind of a shitshow and things would be even harder than they are now remote.

Also I'm a very frugal person (and not very wealthy) so I'm not someone who's going to own a house with a backyard and a home office or some poo poo. It'll just be some dingy apartment most likely.

I'm incredibly frugal, myself. Rule of two: If I buy something twice, would it cause me financial pain? If so, it's a no-go.

My current job is driving me nuts, as the scope has radically expanded beyond what my contract calls for, so I accepted an interview from a guy who's been chasing me for two months on LinkedIn. Direct hire (no contract), very simple expectations, even more money than I'm making now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Silly Burrito posted:

Well hell, lump me in with with the chat thread Covid Crew. One of my kids got it, now I have it, but I must be asymptomatic because I feel fine.

This is why I wanted to stay home this week and work from home so I didn't potentially pass this crap around and now I'm glad I did.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. When I had COVID, I basically spent two days in bed but was otherwise fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wandler20 posted:

Thanks. I've got a pretty sore throat and a mild cough. Mucinex seems to be doing the trick.

It's probably been said a hundred times in this thread, but it bears repeating: Keep yourself hydrated. I generally drink 3 - 4 liters of water a day (one of my blood pressure meds has diuretic side effects), but when I was sick with the 'rona, I upped that to six liters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Congrats and condolences. Hope you aren't in one of the many absurd real estate places right now

Joey's in the Bay Area, I think? So he's looking at absurdly inflated mortgages right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

whats the best website for tax returns again

I've done free filing via TaxAct and H&R Block for the last ... ten years, I think? Neither site has given me issues.

Edit: I did an in-person filing at H&R back in 2014 because I had spent time in both Maryland and Wisconsin in 2013, and I had been switched from an employee to a contractor, so my employer was no longer doing my withholdings.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Credit Karma will do them for free I think. That’s who I used that last couple of years. Might not be best if you have really complicated taxes.

The IRS requires that tax return providers offer a free return option for basic filing.

But, yeah, if you have complicated taxes, call an accountant; you're more likely to avoid an audit that way.