Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Man it’s gonna be real awkward opening this thread on a plane this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I have to travel regularly for work so I was traveling even at the peak of last year :shepicide:

I’m sure I’ll be out and about in a couple of weeks too

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

a neat cape posted:

It's still 2021

You’re not allowed in here for another 41 minutes :colbert:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Microsoft’s most recent update to Exchange broke everyone’s on-prem email servers at roughly midnight GMT because a line of code couldn’t translate the new year :psyduck:

IT is great if you don’t believe in things like holidays, weekends, etc.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Went on a snowy hike, 10/10 first day of 2022, would recommend

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’m also going to assume that Timby sold an ape NFT but right-click, saved-as before sending it and I’m not going to be convinced otherwise.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

It’s always weird to me that people opt for home birth when it seems like birth before it was an option was basically a coin flip for the mom, the baby, or both dying.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

D-LINK posted:

She said yes, my brother. Turns out she's been impatiently waiting for me ask bc some snitch in my family blew up my spot :blush:

Congratulations!

Stick the snitch at the worst table at the reception.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I live in Denver and have never done a weed, AMA

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Do cultists worship the blue horse god

tbh I think it would be really hard to have an occult ceremony around it since it’s just on the median of the highway

But probably yes

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Meanwhile our CEO was asked about a bonus for last year and he apparently said he didn’t want to give it because then “people will just expect it every year” :fuckoff:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The south and not knowing how to handle snow, name a more iconic duo:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Also I am squarely on the side of the southerners every time this comes up, because why the hell would you have our multi-million dollar snow removal infrastructure for the one storm that hits every year.

Yeah I laugh but it’s not unreasonable to not have that sort of investment for a rare event, but i don’t understand why every time it happens the same lesson has to be learned. Just cut your losses, shut things down, and let your people stay home.

I’m also from NC and dealt with that same scenario many times so it’s not coming from a place of “lol South dumb”

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I sure hope the follow-up question was how big his bonus would be...

I wish I were privy to more info, but alas. To be a fly on the wall of that meeting…

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

15 bucks/test for the rapid tests in the US has been close to the norm all along, sadly. I paid 150 bucks for 7 boxes of two each to take with us for Christmas.

I still get unreasonably angry thinking about Psaki’s churlish “what do you want us to do, send a test to every American?” response. Y… yes?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Think that one's been around a while, from what I heard.

It was discovered back in November, so I don’t know why the news is blowing up with it now.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

It's crazy how many more people I know have been affected this time around compared to even 2020 (pre-vaccine). I'm at my second close contact in three weeks now.

Stay safe goons. Hoping for speedy recoveries for LeeMajors, Raku, and anyone else who catches it.

Cases are absolutely off the charts right now. In CO we’ve blown past the max cases per day during last winter‘s surge by like 70 percent. The good news is that if we take South Africa as a bellwether we’ll have another few weeks of bad cases and then it’ll tumble back down. They also didn’t report an appreciable increase in deaths, so fingers crossed that that bears out here.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

We’re governed by the dumbest loving people.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I despise DeSantis as much as the next guy but all of the breathless (heh) speculation and zaprudering his appearances is kinda pathetic. Maybe he’ll keel over from COVID but he’s probably gonna be fine and disappoint a lot of people hoping for a touch of schadenfreude.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

There must be some sort of cosmic rule that prevents the mayor of NYC from being a normal human being.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

I didn't think they were that hard to make. Just be sure to let the cookies dry out a bit before you bake them.

I agree. I think the idea that they’re difficult to make comes from people who want to make them perfect with the good looking foot and everything. If you’re fine with them not looking like the 4-dollar cookies you buy at a bakery or whatever they’re easy enough.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Speaking of treason, Happy Capitol Insurgency Day :toot:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/LinzDeFranco/status/1349737447622545411?s=20

We’re so beyond satire at this point

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Like I’m cackling because there’s some terminally online aide in someone’s office who saw that tweet and mentioned it as a joke, but their boss thought it was actually a good idea

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Getting COVID to own the libs eat the froot loop hot dog

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I remember when the bottom fell out on all the ‘X’ Hero games and you could get full bundles for like 20 bucks. The coupons forum helped me get the Beatles Rock Band and DJ Hero for something like 60 dollars.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

I have the neighbors app with my ring doorbell and it is 50/50 missing pets and someone asking if every bang is gun fire.

It’s amazing how bad people are at distinguishing gunfire from other loud bangs. I mean I guess it’s good that most people don’t experience it enough to have a strong idea of what it sounds like, but still lmao

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I'm perpetually at a loss.

This hasn't become policy here, but I am invited into the homes of extremely vulnerable people daily (elderly, immunocompromised, a billion comorbidities) and the idea that our leadership is growing cool just letting us carry our illness into those spaces....

https://twitter.com/codebluememes/status/1480324986854424576?s=20

gently caress, man. Why the hell are we even doing this?

And like, also, HCWs have been perpetually forgotten and abused during this whole thing and we aren't even given a break for a loving super infectious illness?

Look, we clapped and banged pots for you guys for like 4 months, what more can you want?

But seriously, my SO and her colleagues are all on the verge of breakdown because of the last 2 years. They gave up a year of training to work COVID wards instead, and now that they’re back to it they’re seeing like 2.5 times the number of patients than they would normally see because of all of the people who (reasonably) deferred care because there was a pandemic on. On top of that, there’s the constant threat of being called upon to work COVID cases again because people just have to go out and lick light poles or whatever while unvaccinated.

But the dean of medicine or whatever said thanks once and I think she got 50% off at the North Face so I guess everything is all even!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

You know, I don’t want much but we haven’t been extended any emergency leave after 1/1/21 and they haven’t suspended any of the ridiculous punitive call-out policies wherein we are punished for using our sick leave ‘excessively’ to get tests or whatever. Also we aren’t regularly tested at work.

I used to take pride in healthcare being an indispensable resource but now I just kind of wish I was doing anything else.

It’s really unconscionable. I don’t know how people who were considering going into healthcare before the pandemic can remotely want to do it now. My SO used to be so enthusiastic and now the only reason she’s not calling it quits is because of the decade+ that she has invested in it now.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I just wish I could get the old American Apparel triblend track shirts from like 10-12 years ago still. The newer ones aren't nearly as good, and I still have 4 or 5 from way back that are hanging tough. No labels, fit great...best shirts I've ever owned.

Gildan bought AA when it went bankrupt and promptly ruined what made them good, but the AA guy started a new company after being forced out called Los Angeles Apparel that supposedly uses the same fabric and cuts as AA. Dov’s probably still a sleaze though so I guess consult your own moral compass before patronizing his company.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My maternal grandparents had one of the first computers in our tiny town and dial up in the early 90's. I wrote my "please choose me for our town's spring fair pagent" essay on it in between my grandpa playing a lot of Doom.

My paternal grandparents also had a computer with AOL and I got my own account as a pre-teen in 1999, I think. My friends and I used to to go to random chatrooms and AOL specific message boards for like Lord of the Rings and Sailor Moon since my account was not age restricted. ~~memories~~

lol my granddad would also play a lot of Doom, and then go lay down because it gave him motion sickness

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Everyone remembers the Oregon trail, but I loved playing the Yukon Trail and Amazon Trail games.

Other childhood PC games:

- Warcraft 1 and 2
- mechwarrior 2: mercenaries
- Diablo 1
- kings Quest games

Diablo 1 was my jam. I think I mentioned it in last year’s thread but I bought the remaster of 2, turned the “original graphics” option on, and immediately :ohno:’d as it made me feel 1000 years old.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

swickles posted:

Myst. I wonder how that game holds up.

I played it recently and it’s still good. You can get it cheap on Good Old Games

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Samadhi posted:

Chewy bacon is superior bacon.

I prefer my bacon to have a little chew to it if I’m eating it alone, but on a sandwich? It needs to be crispy enough that it breaks cleanly with every bit so you don’t end up pulling out whole strips of it with you teeth.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

There’s many an editor who has enlivened a slow news day by sending a junior reporter out to the town square to spring citizen ship test questions on unsuspecting passers by.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Driving a Prius is not one of the things that makes me think “this person might be packing” but Florida gonna Florida

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

It’s always amused me that the final cover of the sci-fi series for tweens was a riff on the cover of a greatest hits collection that came out almost two decades before the target audience even existed.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Speaking of dipshit evangelicals, The Righteous Gemstones is back and picked up right where it left off.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Was just driving to the store and stopped at a light and there was a guy walking his dogs on the sidewalk a little behind me. I guess the guy in the car behind me had a Biden sticker or something because the dude with the dogs just starts SCREAMING gently caress Joe Biden at him over and over

I can’t imagine living in that headspace that’s a guy that just lives in a constant state of anger.

tbf I, too, spend most of the day screaming gently caress Joe Biden

Mostly after reading this thread

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Samadhi posted:

I watched the most recent episode of The Book of Boba Fett, and it seems like they really pushed this out the door too quickly. The biker chase scene was really cheap looking and not engaging at all. The fight scene with the wookie made no sense, and the rancor subplot seems rushed and tacked on. I really wish they did a better job on this show, but it's like a discount Mandalorian.

The flashbacks are much more interesting than the present day political intrigue stuff, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Oh hey he’s not white what a crazy coincidence

Yeah I saw his name and the light bulb went on