Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1477323568794898433?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

yeah if I'd been awake I'd have told her not to. She avoids ibuprofin now because of her previous bouts of acid reflux. But this would have been a time to go ahead anyway. Or to just take a literal old-school aspirin.

When I was in Europe at 22 everyone was terrified of taking aspirin for hangovers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Why? Is there something I don't know about aspirin?

I think they were confusing it with the Tylenol thing. I made sure the package said acetylsalicylic acid because it's not called Aspirin in Spain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MollyOShah/status/1477407306493087745?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Too bad he’s a billionaire, otherwise he could be our mascot.

This is why I didn't get the Bill Gates sexual harassment thing, if you want some strange, you're Bill Gates, you can get women who don't work for you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I gave him some money, but I never thought it was a loan, and from what other people posted in the previous incarnation of this thread it didn't sound like y'all were expecting a payback. The linked post in the probe is him selling something, so I'm guessing he never sent the thing he sold and also didn't refund it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Do I have to start liking Jake Paul?

https://twitter.com/doinkpatrol/status/1477412016335765508?t=WdJO13y2uNC9BkA2F8hdPQ&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

Antivax has had a bit of a foothold in California for a while hasn’t it? Like dating back well before Covid. Seems like there’s a bit of horseshoe theory at play when it comes to vaccines and GMOs.

Yeah, it was one of the major anti-MMR hot spots well before COVID. There's a bunch of weird hippie spiritualist people who went from that to COVID denial to full blown Qanon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

For over a decade Vancover, Washington (the bedroom community just north of Portland) has been a national hub of both proud boy fascists and wine mom antivaxxers. We should have known these strains of humanity would eventually crossbreed.

Everywhere outside of Pierce, King and Snohomish county in Washington State is basically the South with fewer black people and worse food.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barudak posted:

The single best predictor of if you gently caress on the first date is saying "I think surviving the apocalypse would be fun".

Some people are just crazy

It (thankfully) doesn't come up near as often any more, but like back in Walking Dead's hay day when someone would ask something like ""How would you survive a zombie apocalypse?" I would say "Become a zombie. The world ain't gonna eat itself, that's gonna take a lot of boots on the ground." Usually enough to derail the conversation before they went into their overly elaborate survivalist fantasy that sharing with you was the only reason they asked the question in the first place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fsif posted:

I'm not certain I've ever heard of someone breaking edge at 35 before. What led you to this journey?

I think a lot of people who never smoked in their late 20s and early 30s tried it for the first time as it became legal in a variety of states.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

So are there jobs that don’t drug test?

Tons of jobs. If you don't operate machinery the post office doesn't drug test, no restaurant I've ever worked for tested (haven't worked for any large chains but I've worked for a couple regional ones), the vast majority of desk jobs don't drug test. Retail will sometimes drug test at hire, but then never again according to friends who've done that. Starbucks doesn't drug test, I'd be very surprised if Amazon warehouse employees were drug tested (they churn through so many people so quickly it would be expensive and time consuming, and they'd probably be dosing their employees with speed already if it were legal). Any computer touching job that doesn't require security clearance (I don't know one way or the other about the ones that do) likely doesn't drug test.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They are specifically going for outrage retweets. The tweeted that exact same thing back in may, which, if you click through, is when the article that links to was published.

The article itself is a fairly levelheaded look at the growing field of artificially produced diamonds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's kinda the same thing as teachers right? The industries they work for don't generate a lot of money so hey wait a minute

It's almost like public goods shouldn't be run the same as a used car dealership. Sanitation and Postal delivery aren't huge profit centers, but the employees are relatively well compensated because it's recognized we need those things for a functional society. Education and healthcare not being treated the same is insane to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

There's kind of a salary penalty for lines of work with altruistic appeal like medic or teacher or elder care, because the altruistic side of itexpands the pool of potential workers compared to jobs that no one would ever want to do for any reason other than money.

Which also explains why cops are so highly paid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

Eh, I think some cops are definitely in it for the love of the game. They got a union, though. Gotta love those unions.

Yeah, but whatever internal motivation they have I wouldn't refer to it as "goodness of the heart."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

True, but that altruistic appeal is also exploited as gently caress by administrations to depress salaries all around.

Yeah, when they were first talking about a $15 minimum wage in Seattle you'd hear a lot of poo poo like "EMTs are paid $17, should they be paid barely more than burger flippers?" Obviously the answer is no, but the solution to that isn't to pay burger flippers less money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving hell.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1478479483585933312?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

That’s just amazing.

Skwirl posted:

They are specifically going for outrage retweets. The tweeted that exact same thing back in may, which, if you click through, is when the article that links to was published.

The article itself is a fairly levelheaded look at the growing field of artificially produced diamonds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

We're all loving doomed

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1478506987780513796?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wandler20 posted:

This is some bullshit.

Where the gently caress do you live? North Alaska?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wandler20 posted:

North Dakota.

Why are there two Dakotas?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

Was one territory, south half was basically sorta civilization and the north half was weirdo proto-libertarians, criminals and snow farmers. Some con-man moves the capital way up north and so a bunch of wealthy families who owned all the poo poo by the train lines in the south said gently caress you and made their own state.

Yeah that's 4 senators representing like 50,000 people and California has 2 senators representing 40 million

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I didn't learn about reconstruction until college. It's the period where black men had the most rights in this nation that they would have until the late 1960s and maybe even longer. There were more black elected officials in the south immediately following the civil war than there are still today. It was actually a decent time for a lot of people, but it made the nazis uncomfortable so we compromised with them again. It was a massive mistake to not try all of the traitors to this nation as traitors. Instead they got welcomed back with open arms.

The biggest mistake we've probably made as a nation was not executing all the southern generals. Like random Confederate soldiers I got no beef with, they're mostly conscripted poor farmers, but we should have loving killed all of the Confederate leadership, and actually followed through on the promise of 40 acres and a mule for the freed slaves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Generals didn't secede. We should have executed every one of the politicians that signed an article of secession. Every single one that participated in and perpetuated the conferderate government. It would have been a lot of people, but it would have prevented a lot of poo poo that we're still dealing with over a century and a half later.

Yeah, this.

I sometimes wonder about what our country would look like if Lincoln hadn't been assassinated. It was before term limits so he could run for a third term and there's no way he loses and he would have stayed the course in regards to reconstruction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The generals are at least the ultimate leaders of the military, everyone below them is taking orders. All lines are somewhat arbitrary anyway, so it seems like a good stopping point. Generals were likely part of the aristocracy then too, where lower positions probably weren't.

If the US executed every member of the Davis administration, every member of the confederate congress, and every general, you'd be looking at like 200 people to execute. That seems like a lot.

500,000 people died in the civil war, it's still the highest loss of American lives in a single war. 200 executions doesn't seem that big.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

The Democratic Party is trying to turn me into a full bore Stalinist aren’t they?

Welcome to the party Comrade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Huh, The CW is up for sale. Anyone want to buy a network?

Eh, they cancelled Supernatural, what are you even buying at this point? Nancy Drew?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yea, the still have Whose Line, Arrow, Riverdale I think?

Arrow has been cancelled for a couple years now I think? They killed him off in the last DC crossover. They still got Flash and Supergirl maybe? That Legends of Tomorrow show?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Just say "you should see the other guy" and refuse to answer any further questions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

T-Square posted:

We have these stupid awards at work people across the company can nominate each other for if they think someone went above and beyond on something, and you can use them to exchange for stuff I think? But I keep getting nominated for it from HR people that keep asking me to do poo poo absolute last second which is basically just doing my job at this point.

Anyway, one of my coworkers hasn’t gotten one yet and he’s super swamped all day every day and generally kicking rear end. I needed his help for something that someone nominated me for another award on today, so I told her she should give it to him instead and she did, now he’s all happy :3:

This sounds like a thing your company does instead of properly paying people

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving hell man.

T-Square posted:

Nah, we’ve had some growing pains implementing our new system this year which kinda sucks but we all get paid good wages and they paid us all a four figure bonus as a project completion bonus this year too.

But, yeah y’all should see how much some of these Union technicians on our payrolls get paid, holy gently caress I’m in the wrong business

I think you just proved my point. Your company can afford to pay these union workers apparently insane amounts of money, and you get a piece of paper with an empty compliment on it instead of a larger paycheck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It should be legal to kill people who want to do poo poo like this. It's just "not only do I refuse to contribute anything to society, I want to monetize people having their worst day." Outside of literal blood sucking insects I can't think of a better definition of parasite.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My Cousin Vinnie is one of the best movies ever made. We should replace Columbus Day with Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinnie day, if we want to pay proper respect to Italian Americans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nGQLQF1b6I&ab_channel=Movieclips

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Man, I've been sleeping on Marissa Tomei

Lucky bastard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress. I just saw Sydney Poitier died.

Seriously, how are people days late on this?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I remember Paul Walker and Nelson Mandela dying in the same week and I felt more sad about Paul Walker because he was only like 40 years old and Nelson Mandela was 90.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

ruthkanda forever

I'm not normally in favor of bullying children, but if I thought there was the smallest possibility that story was true, that kid deserved a swirly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

What does TFF think about the potential resurgence of the 2014 'tumblr girl' aesthetic, as predicted by NYT fashion writers?

I'm not seeing it but I won't pretend like I was hanging out in Paris last fall or anything.

No idea on this specific thing, but NYT fashion writers tend to write articles that are "three people talked to me about this in a SoHo bar, so it's definitely a nationwide trend."