Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We're supposed to be going to my sister's house for a second attempt at christmas, but my wife drank a whole bottle of champagne last night and decided to get up this morning and take a tylenol on an empty stomach, so instead I'm sitting around while she pukes for hours.

I kind of want to go over there just to drop off presents & food, but my wife wants me to stay home and it's an hour each way.

I hope everyone else is ringing in the new year a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah if I'd been awake I'd have told her not to. She avoids ibuprofin now because of her previous bouts of acid reflux. But this would have been a time to go ahead anyway. Or to just take a literal old-school aspirin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

When I was in Europe at 22 everyone was terrified of taking aspirin for hangovers.

Why? Is there something I don't know about aspirin?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

If you suffer from acid reflux whatsoever i cannot imagine drinking any champagne. And hope things get better on the homefront leper

Thank you, she's doing much better this evening (managed to eat some oatmeal). The acid reflux is in remission I guess.

We watched the Hawkeye series and it's surprisingly decent! Also definitely qualifies as "a christmas movie" even though it's six episodes instead of a movie.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

D-LINK, my heartfelt congratulations on your impending marriage! IIRC you and the lady have been into each other for a couple or three years now, you had to go for a very long time without seeing her during the start of covid, and you're still totally into each other... that's a really good sign for your future together, to have that resilience.

So when does she get an account?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suspect the people who work in test-manufacturing facilities are all getting covid and missing work just like everyone else, yeah. Also the people in shipping & logistics, not to mention retail workers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

literally call the governor and rescue him with emergency vehicles, a helicopter, etc.
call any of the dozens of fabulously wealthy lobbyists and see who can come get you in a snowmobile or something
exercise undue power, subvert the proper channels, be a boss

This is what normal people imagine all people in power do constantly: but it's really only what people like Trump do constantly, and their peers all go "wait I could actually get away with that poo poo? no way" and then are too chicken-poo poo to do. They're not morally opposed, mind you, just too small-minded or fearful. "Congressman receives free bail-out from Corn Lobby on snow day" would make these people (by which I mean, some democratic congressperson) resign in shame, while Trump would just smugly grin and be like "gently caress you I do what I want" and then somehow not magically lose power due to the outraged constituents.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guze posted:

A single guy getting plucked out of a 27 hour traffic jam because he's a Senate special boy would enrage people, literally leaving people in the cold while he's whisked away by a helicopter.

That's more or less the first half of my point, yes.

It's inconsistent for these people to feel shame and avoid behaving like this when it comes to escaping traffic jams, while simultaneously crushing millions of americans via policy action/inaction. People like Trump are actually more honest, in that they flagrantly don't give a poo poo and take maximal advantage of their power and privileges. The only explanation I can come up with is cowardice. It sure isn't an actual conscience.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Norton has been effectively malware since like 1990, lol. I had friends whose computers got hosed by it and this was the DOS days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Another reason why there's two dakotas is +2 non-southern states, which continued to be important to the balance of the Senate after the civil war.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'd say the south thoroughly lost that particular balancing act since the Dakotas were states 3 and 4 of nine-straight northern states lol. I'd never thought about the choice to absolutely rinse the southerners with northern states

Yeah. Reconstruction fell apart within ten years anyway. We learned a bit (pretty superficial, but a bit) about the civil war in grade school; I don't recall any time being spent on the post-war period, particularly the politics of the time. But whooooo boy did they suck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i thought it was more than 500k? poo poo we've about doubled that just from COVID, which isnt alarming at all

I see numbers of 750k, which probably includes both civilian casualties, and war casualties that were due to disease (dysentery, for example) which killed more men than actual combat wounds. But also consider that that 750k was ~2.5% of the nation's population of the time. If Covid kills 7M+ Americans, we'll be in the same ballpark.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

we're already in the cook the books phase of the pandemic so i doubt we'll ever see official numbers over the 2 million mark but im not sure at what point anyone in power starts pretending to care again regardless of how many people it kills or disables

maybe if we also burn down Atlanta? It's worth a shot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can simultaneously recognize that a person who lived to nearly 100, and lived well, and was wealthy and apparently cognitively healthy to the end, has lived a good life and got a nicer ending than the vast majority of people get: and also that's someone who you were fond of, and enjoyed experiencing new things they made or did, and feel sad that they're gone now and there will be no more new stuff from them. And maybe also on a more personal level, feel sad that a unique individual, their mind and thoughts and feelings and all that, have been utterly destroyed and wiped from the universe, and that's awful to contemplate no matter how old they were.

We don't get to live forever and if we did, we'd run out of resources and it'd be terrible, so obviously death is necessary at least as long as we're confined to this earth. It still sucks and I wish everyone cool and good could live forever, somehow, without horrific consequences. It's sad to me that they don't, and extremely tragic and awful that I won't either.

RIP betty white, you were cool and I wish I could have seen you do more stuff for more years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got no testing to prove it, but I'm at this point like 60% sure I'm about 8 days into a bout of Omicron myself. We found a mold problem early last week concurrent with onset of symptoms that are basically identical to my mold allergy, I took care of the mold (and we've found a stucco repair contractor who is gonna come give us a quote tomorrow, finally) but my symptoms have persisted. Mild cough, mild congestion, kinda fuzzy-headed, sleeping heavier than usual, and I can hear the tiny soft pops of bubbles of gunk in my lungs when I breathe at night.

Was still able to go for a non-strenuous hike on Saturday, so I'm hardly debilitated. Looks like a shot of J&J plus a booster of Moderna put me in good stead. Although also maybe I'm still just reacting to mold spores and don't have covid. Who knows.

My wife seems fine. She could have been asymptomatic though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My at-home blood pressure test says:
-it should be taken while sitting with arms in a specific position, not perched on a stool
-it should be taken while you are sitting quietly, not reading or watching TV or having a conversation
-even then the result can vary by a lot

All that said, that's just to get an accurate series for comparisons, I'm sure even putting the cuff on upside down while chatting while on a stool can tell you if someone's BP is way way too high, somewhat too high, OK, or somewhat/too low. Ballpark poo poo. It can't be much worse than those self-serve grocery store BP stations.

Also obviously they should be masked, and he should be disinfecting the cuff between uses, etc. so there's that bit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm mad about the vagueness of the "advice and consent" clause. We all know perfectly well from constant experience that if you don't give a committee a hard deadline, they will dicker around forever. It's also just super dumb in general to think that any given Senate would not use its power to undermine a President of the opposite party by loving with their nominations. Also that you could get a nonpartisan judiciary by piping nomination and approval through partisan branches of the government.

I do not have a brilliant idea for how to actually get nonpartisan judges.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I tested negative on a take home test last night, but it's been over a week since I started symptoms so that's expected. Still like 60% that I got covid I think.

I maybe missed the "first computer game" stuff but my first computer game on a PC was Zork. My sister and I also got given a Pong game by our grandparents, but that was at the time that the atari 2600 was already out, they were just badly out of touch. We got a Colecovision not long after that.

When I finally got my own PC, in about 1992, I installed Rogue, Space Quest III, and started downloading pirated games off of the local BBSes too. My buddy and I actually played through Space Quest III together, we wanted to find all the hilarious different ways to die. God that was a good game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"We're all gonna get it anyway" seems to be an increasingly common attitude, it's very understandable, but it also more or less dooms everyone who is immunocompromised or otherwise cannot be vaccinated, so we still gotta keep doing what we can to limit the spread. We've also desperately got to flatten the curve (again) because the hospitals can't take it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

scorched earth

played SO MUCH scorched earth

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the starfleet uniform helps to distract you from how enormous her sunglasses are

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

today is the day I learned that in witcher 3, when you're in a boat, you can open the map and there's little green anchors and you can fast-travel to them

I've got 133 hours into this game lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Andrew had been stripped of all his royal titles and privileges. My guess is the crown’s lawyers just received a batch of discovery.

He's still the Duke of York, but he'll be tried as a private citizen and has lost his military titles and patronages. And yeah I wonder if this is also so there's no question as to whether he can be extradited to the US. It also means e.g. he can't demand a military trial, and he can't spend Crown money on his defense, both of which would look really fuckin' bad for the whole royal family.

The Queen is infamously a hardass. She will 100% always do what she thinks protects the Crown and the royal family, over any concern for one of her family member's needs or feelings or whatever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Can someone give me the recap of this Prince Andrew thing cause I have zero idea what y’all are talking about.

He was one of Epstein's pals and probably hosed underage girls on airplanes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your withholding is supposed to make it so you don't owe much or be owed much, it scales with your income. If your income all comes from a normal job (e.g. not 1099s ) and you filled out your W-4 correctly that should be the normal experience regardless of whether your income went up or down this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Seeing them March 1st!

But that's a Tuesday. Is that even legal?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd guess that first hump corresponds to movies with a built-in intermission so theaters could sell more snacks, and the current one corresponds to directors getting better noninterference clauses in their contracts that prevent studios from forcing them to cut down to a particular length. But I'm speculating right out my rear end on both counts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I can’t prove it, but I’d suspect the dip in length in the 80s directly corresponds in part to what could fit on a single VHS tape for home release, and the accompanying rise of direct-to-video stuff. The return to longer run times in the 90s probably came as tape costs came down/tapes getting slightly longer run times, and then DVDs making that mostly not an issue later that decade.

That is a really good point, yeah. I remember some movies had to be cut down for home release just so they'd fit onto VHS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They literally made thinner tape, so they could wind more onto the spindle in extra-long-play cassettes. There was a time where you went to the store and paid extra for BASF GOLD ULTRA LONG PLAY 240 tape because it had four hours of space on it (if you recorded in normal mode).

VHS got really weird towards the end. S-VHS, multi-head players, component audio, S-Video connectors... My stepdad had a special audio recorder thing that used the whole width of a VHS tape to record multitrack audio in ultra high quality, for example.

e. ADAT and V-Eight!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 20, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is a Spanish idiom you use to say you were daydreaming: "pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo" which means, "pondering the immortality of the crab"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I'm extremely skeptical there's already $1,000,000,000,000 worth of crypto...

"Market value" takes the most recent transaction amount for one (or a few) shares of something and presumes all of the shares are worth that. It's like if someone anywhere in the world paid $1000 for a beanie baby on eBay, we now magically assign a $1000 value to every existing beanie baby, and just ignore that there aren't millions of people with millions of dollars clamoring to all pay exactly $1000 for every beanie baby on earth.

This is exactly how e.g. Musk, Gates, etc. are supposedly worth hundreds of billions, too: they own shitloads of stock, and of course they periodically sell some, they could totally reap a few billion if they sold all their stock at once but they absolutely could not convert their entire holding into cash in the space of a few weeks or even months and reap that full quoted valuation, because dumping that much stock onto the market would drive down the price.

With crypto, the valuations are even more suspect. For one thing, a huge amount of bitcoin etc. is essentially destroyed/lost/vanished, but these valuations almost always count every single bitcoin ever mined. For another, the marketplace of people willing to shell out huge piles of cash to speculate on bitcoin is far more limited; and for a third, the glacial pace of actual bitcoin transactions means that the only way to handle huge volumes of exchange is via third-party exchanges, and those exchanges have a maximum amount of real-world cash they could hand out to their clients if those clients started selling coins and trying to cash out. In other words, there's no protection against a "run on the bank" with these exchanges, and no government FDIC type insurance backing them up so if a significant fraction of crypto holders ever tried to all cash out at once, the crash in price will occur more precipitously than it does with stock or real currency.

So yeah there's not a trillion dollars "worth" of crypto; but there's totally several trillion of theoretical market value, which crypto-heads absolutely treat as if it were real money.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 21, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Today I'm gonna crawl under the house to find out if we have a water leak or what might be causing all the condensation along one wall in the bedroom. Yes yes moist jokes but we got the stucco repaired and it's still happening so I think there could be a water leak. If it's not under the house, it might be the ancient outdoor sprinkler system which has its control box thing right outside that corner of the house, it's not supposed to have water in it but maybe the valve going to it is leaking or something.

January home repairs rule

for all of you with covid, I hope you get well soon and completely

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Braks if someone makes some super uncalled-for lovely post about you or anyone else, please report it. Mods can't keep up with most threads and in particular GDTs, we rely on reports a lot.

Not saying you should go back to GDTs, I can't keep up with them and only rarely bother myself. Just, you don't have to put up with being run out of any thread for BS reasons. That's unacceptable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol having credit makes zero sense

"Hey we're going to give you a rating that will show your credit history and reliability. Oh also it'll be from three different companies. No, none of them will be the same because they all look at different factors and weigh them differently. Oh those numbers you see? Lol those aren't actually your real credit number, that's another number you can't see or access until you apply for a big loan like a mortgage also lol it'll probably be lower because gently caress you"

Like it didn't really affect my ability to get a loan/pre-approval except that my lender is telling me the rating she pulls from Equifax is a full 30 points lower than the one I see when I look at Equifax myself.

e: also I decided not to offer on that house, I wasn't fully on board with it and I can wait.

If you investigate deeply, you'll discover each "credit rating" has some kind of additional qualifier on it, e.g. they're different ratings for different things. The one you probably see when you pull your own rating is VantageScore. The one a bank uses for lending depends on the type of loan - FICO Auto for an auto loan will be a bit different from FICO Bankcard score for getting a credit card.

Equifax has its own scoring though! Because why use the same scoring as the other two agencies? Equifax's score goes from 280 to 850, instead of the 300 to 850 that TransUnion and Experian. Fun!

The important thing though is that you are probably not going to be offered a significantly different mortgage rate if your score is 30 points different, unless you drop below some key threshold from "good" to "bad" credit. If you're above around 740 or so, you'll get the going rate the day you apply for a mortgage from a particular bank, they are not likely to be offering significantly better rates to someone with 800+ and they're definitely not offering a different rate to someone at 780 vs. 750.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My credit score dropped 20 points randomly in October and I spent like three hours trying to figure out why, to no avail.
Probably something that was benefitting you fell out of a particular calendar range. E.g., you used to have a year of paying >$X off of a credit card "within the past five years" and now it's been 5 years 1 month and so it is no longer as heavily weighted.

Don't obsess over 20 points though. It's a meaningless amount. The important thing to do when you check your credit is to look for fraud or major errors on your report.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 24, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

My credit keeps crawling toward 800 and just before reaching it dropping back down to around 760

Frustrating

I assume it's because I only have one credit card and keep it with a low limit

The former, possibly; "credit mix" is about 10% of your FICO score.

Here are the major components:

This article breaks them down pretty well. https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm willing to bet that roughly the same number of people will die from in 2022 as in 2021, and depending on what new mutations we get, roughly the same number will continue to die every year. Also we will never have another lock down like we did in 2020.

Illness and hospitalizations are high because we've got far more people infected at once right now than ever before in the US: but on a per-infection basis, deaths are way way down, because vaccine worked and vaccinated people mostly don't die.

We'll get new variants for sure; and they'll continue to be fatal, although probably decreasingly so (over many variants, the tendency of viruses is to mutate toward non-fatality because mild symptoms correlate strongly to more opportunities to spread); and they'll continue to mostly kill the unvaccinated.

I agree that there likely haven't been and won't be enough fatalaties skewed towards republican voters to significantly skew most state elections.

The exceptions are places like Wisconsin, that are very very tight swing states. Trump barely won Wisconsin in 2016 (by 0.77%), Biden barely won it in 2020 (by 0.63%), and so it's concievable that a strongly-republican-skewing death rate could swing that state if the candidates would otherwise have very closely split it again (which is not a given).

Florida hasn't been a swing state since 2000 and probably won't be any time soon. Part of the reason it swung in 2000 was because independent pat buchanan picked up some republican votes (infamously, the butterfly ballot lol).

e. I should note that Biden won 306-232 and Wisconsin only has 10 EVs, so he could have lost Wisconsin and he'd still have won the election. 2016 was special in how incredibly close it was, that's very rare.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 25, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think if we assume a fairly similar electoral map in 2024 to 2020, we'd have to have the republican death rate swing about five states, and that seems vanishingly unlikely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The bolded I think is untrue for Covid. It is true that for some viruses there is a tendency for less fatality. I can’t remember the specific reason why and I have a headache so who gives a poo poo but there was some reason why that trend isn’t necessarily true for Covid.

I think it has something to do with the timing of max infectiousness vs tangible symptoms.

I'll look into it. I think it's probably true over the course of decades (per Influenza) but I may not know something important about Covid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a lot of elderly, and they tend to vote at a high rate. Despite that:
1. Of eligible voters, a record-high 70% were registered to vote in 2016;
2. Of eligible voters, a record-high 61.4% actually voted in 2016.

The numbers are much lower in mid-terms and generally lower even in general elections when the electorate isn't as motivated (e.g., angry).

So OK, you can presume that the anti-vaxxers skew to the right, and you can presume that deaths skew to the elderly, and elderly vote more while more right than left die; you still have to lower your envelope numbers by probably 40-50%. E.g., instead of 50k republican actual-voters in 2022, probably more like 30k, distributed unevenly across the state.

I suppose it could still swing a handful of very tight state-level elections. At a national or presidential level, I don't believe it's going to be a deciding factor in 2022 or probably 2024 either.

Everyone expects the republicans to re-take the house by a bunch of seats in 2022. If it winds up actually being very close, there might be a few swing districts across the country where a half percent push to the left due to covid deaths mattered? Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I have been told that Pokémon don’t mate but there’s too many of them in that tall grass for nothing to go on.

And no I’m not searching Google for that one.

perhaps they reproduce asexually, by budding or with spores or something