Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I知 an adult, sorry. Ah知 the one who operated a successful YouTube channel. Me! GrEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

I知 an adult, sorry. Ah知 the one who operated a successful YouTube channel. Me! GrEE!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Never change Mamkute

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mamkute posted:

1. The Ratchet and Clank Movie: The Game (Platinum Trophy)

lmfao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mamkute posted:

1. The Ratchet and Clank Movie: The Game (Platinum Trophy)

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

going to continue my quest to get through every NES game by release date, and finished game 57:

The Legend of Zelda (Second Quest)
ngl i got kinda burned out on this by the end. there are too many wizzrobes in the second quest. i got wasted a ton of times starting at dungeon 6 or so just by being impatient. i think next time, i'll take a break between the first and second quest. i had beaten this before, both as a child and as an adult. it's always good to come back to. i love the zelda series too much to be objective, but why do i need to be? it's an awesome, groundbreaking game, with open-ended exploration, great dungeons, a catchy and iconic soundtrack, cool bosses, a good bestiary of monsters, a ton of cool gear, + epic battleborn heroes. getting the sword upgrades feel so fuckin' powerful. unless i'm mistaken and missed one in one of the earlier games, i think this was the first north american NES game to use a battery save, setting the stage for all the RPGs to follow.

reading about myco's randomizer runs, i think the biggest flaws in this one are how many screens involve using the candle or bombs on every square - if there had been some kind of a rule (always in the center or something), it would be a lot more managable. i also don't love all the doorways in the second quest that involve just walking into a wall until you push through.

heading into september of 1987 next, which was a big month for the NES - 15 games! we have stuff by broderbund, bandai, acclaim, konami, sun soft, and, first up for me, the first NES game developed by Square: the 3D battles of worldrunner. my rough count says 86 games until castlevania 2.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the second quest is stupid

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

castlevania 2 wasnt nearly as bad as people said it was (if you have the hot tips from nintendo power)
its a worse zelda 2

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mbt posted:

castlevania 2 wasnt nearly as bad as people said it was (if you have the hot tips from nintendo power)
its a worse zelda 2

i thought people wanted me to get to it because it was good, lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i thought people wanted me to get to it because it was good, lol.

its got a lot of really cool ideas but also a bunch of translation problms that make it impossible to beat without havin a guide or at least some tips. i think its cool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

1) Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

mysterious loyall X posted:

i wont update this post

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Fungah! posted:

its got a lot of really cool ideas but also a bunch of translation problms that make it impossible to beat without havin a guide or at least some tips. i think its cool

theres a hack with a better english translation that doesn't just give everything away and also includes a map:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mbt posted:

its a worse zelda 2

you motherfucker you ruined it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
he was looking forward to it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

castlevania 2 is okay. doesn't hold a candle to real bad games like 900 out of 905 official nes games, or truely awful games such as halo infinite, dark souls 3, sony game xyz, open world 3rd person aaa games, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The 3D Battles of Worldrunner
you gotta admire this for its ambition. square clearly wanted to do their own take on a home version of space harrier (all of the boss fights are basically slight variations on the first boss in space harrier, really). the best part about it at the time must have been the graphics. it has a stereoscopic 3D you can turn on, which is certainly a first for the NES, but i have to miss out on it - i'm stereoblind. i'd be interested to see what other people think of it, you just need the typical red/blue glasses to make it work, i think. even without the 3D it looks really cool for the hardware that it's on (it looks way better while moving, but still, cool backgrounds) :

other than that, it's not too impressive. besides the bosses, you don't fly like in spare harrier, you just run across the bottom of the screen and have a really long jump. there are enemies on the screen all over the place and they can kill you, but the real difficulty is in all of the bottomless pits and timing your jumps, especially when you have to bounce on springs or pillars within the pit itself. there's also a fairly quick timer that can kill you due to obstacles like gloved hands that block your way. at one point in the later stages i got stuck for a long time because the solution was to jump on top of a flaming pillar that kills you normally, which felt stupid. often the difficulty feels created by how little ahead you can see - sometimes you suddenly see the point you need to jump to and just don't have time to get there. nobuo himself does the music, although there isn't very much of it (there's just "stage," "boss," "tiny victory fanfare" and some music at the end). i don't think i'd have known it was the final fantasy composer. the pause sound is the same as the menu beep from final fantasy, which is sort of jarring if you've played that as much as i have. the bosses all felt kind of samey and what they do is just give them more HP (which makes you in danger of running out of time before killing them) and make you fight more and more of them in a row (you have to beat six on the last level). there are power-ups that you get by bumping into pillars, but i never really understood what most of them did (one, a mushroom, just kills you, lol). i started to ignore pillars unless i was low on time (one of the powerups gives you more time). at the end of the game all the bosses crawl in one at a time and tell you to press a bunch of buttons? i tried it and nothing happened.

basically, this was cool, but i think square's reach exceeded its grasp.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

1. Metroid Dread (84%, 11:07:12)
Badass, much better than I expected. Glad I took my time instead of trying to rush through it on NYE. On top of the movement and abilities being sweet, the boss fights are fun as well. Immediately going to get 100% and then I guess play it on hard and try to go fast. And finally read the IZ thread.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

OH y eah i played it all using a PRO 8BITDO PRO PLUS CONTROLLER 2 and i mapped the back buttons to L3 and R3 which made it way nicer than trying to click the sticks. except it was easy to accidentally turn invisible and die. at some point i'm going to want to play it handheld but i'm' going to miss my pro gamer buttons.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

1. Shin Megami Tensei V - Secret Ending

I was gearing up to get this under the wire for 2021 but didn't end up finishing until 1 am on New Years. Managed to beat Shiva on the last attack before I was going to lose after losing my entire party, it was great stuff. Loved it.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
1. MediumNaut, S-Rank, was pretty fun small metroidvania by Nigoro's main dude of LaMulana game.
2. Astalon: Tears of the Earth, a hugely overlooked Metroidvania from last year. Was alot of fun, beefy game, satisfying to explore and reach the end. Getting full 100% is pretty tricky though, I'm missing at 99% of rooms explore lol.
3. Rachet and Clank: Rift Apart

Until Elden Ring is out, I'll be playing through Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Shadow of War, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and THPS 1+ 2

ROBO_ERECTUS fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 13, 2022

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Oh and Guardians of the Galaxy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aria of Sorrow - Julius Mode

I was really looking forward to this one after Maxim mode really exceeded my expectations, and Aria is a great game after all - but I ended up being disappointed by it. There's no reason for Julius to explore the castle, as there are no upgrades for him, except for the bosses. Because they are the same, the smartest thing to do is staying in sequence. If you do, it's braindead easy. It's fun clowning on dudes, but overall it feels a bit empty.

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1478458497985515520?s=20

Case in point.

Took me one hour and small change to complete it. Maybe it's got more teeth on Hard, but I'll postpone that.

First, I started the last game on the CV collection, Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss. I did play the Dracula X Chronicles remake, but this one's very different - I hadn't known before that the SNES version is basically its own game. It's loving hard!!! I reached the Werewolf today and got my rear end kicked, that's enough for now. I feel like I can beat it, but it's insanely unforgiving...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

1. Metroid Dread
Feels really good to hit those counters on the final boss, just a great end-cap to a great game. My percentage was only 54 and I'm not even going to say my time.

back to Yakuza 5!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nuclear Blaze (Steam)

Got this after the Spelunky guy recommended it. Short (beat it in 2hrs) firefighting platformer where you go down through a mysterious facility putting out flames. Pretty fun up until the last quarter when it starts introducing combat by way of a fairly silly plot twist. The final boss (why does a firefighting game need a final boss?) is dumb as hell, but at least I was able to find a decent way to cheese it. Lots of granular difficulty customization options, which is nice.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
metroid dread: great game. kinda wish i had played through the 3ds one first. the metroid suit at the end kicked rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i know i'm wordy with some of these but it's not like anyone has to read them.

Deadly Towers
this game sucks. it's ugly-looking and the music sounds ugly (it's not the composition, it just doesn't know how to use the sound chip).

at the beginning of the game, basically every monster can kill you in 2-3 hits, but you've got to hit everything like 20 times before it dies. not that it's a HUGE problem, because if you get close enough, you stun-lock every monster in the game and just sit there, hitting them forever. any time there are a bunch of things on the screen, there's slowdown and some of the sprites become invisible. entering a room is always dangerous because you might just walk into something that will hit you, stunlock you, and kill you. rooms that contain valuable items have swarms of enemies so that you can't move - you just have to bash the attack button and won't survive if you don't have the right armor and enough hit points. you can also be knocked off a cliff or, quite easily, touch the edge of a hitbox for a cliff without realizing it and instantly die. walking into random walls takes you to secret areas and there aren't any zelda-y old men to advise you how to find them. there's no explanation as to what the mountain of equipment that's sold does, so there's no way of knowing what's good. this is about as much information as you ever get (not even the shopkeepers talk to you):

i almost immediately resorted to using a guide and i knew i was in trouble when the author noted that first we would be doing a few things to "mitigate the game's many flaws" (thanks TVotava0077). once you get almost literally all of the best equipment in the game, it gets less repetitive, partially because things actually die to 3-4 hits and partially because you can afford to just walk into things instead of carefully cornering every monster one at a time. at that point it's trivially easy until the end boss (the other bosses, you typically can hide in a corner and fire at them, they're all on a tiny screen, so it's not like there's a lot of room for dodging, it's always just "hide out of their hit zone").

anyway, you can move in eight directions, which is cool, you always have the sword-shooting power from zelda (but as mentioned, it's not terribly useful, because you have to get up close to stun-lock things). the game is pretty enormous for an NES game and it's basically one long dungeon crawl littered with shops. there are dungeons that are so big they feel randomized, and those have shops where you can spend money on all the items and armor and stuff. you can only carry 250 at a time and everything costs about 100, so there's kind of a lot of grind. there's a brief movie at the beginning that gives you your objective: to burn seven bells in the sacred flame. the flame serves as kind of the hub, and you explore towers around it to find the bells. burning a bell also recovers your HP (the only other way is to collect little heart drops or buy potions). the ending boss run (there are three bosses) is the only time that this felt like a good game, and even then, only by comparison.

so what would have made this good? i think all it needed were three major changes. 1) the HP needs complete rebalancing. there's nothing between "you die almost instantly and you have to whale on things forever" and "everything is extremely easy." 2) if your guy could move a little faster and you couldn't stun-lock enemies, combat would be challenging instead of just a slog. bosses would need bigger areas. 3) LESS content. a game like this doesn't need 10 secret dungeons and like 30 things to buy. it doesn't have the gameplay to support that. they should have just put the shops in the towers and given you like one upgrade in each one. better sprite art and sound design also would have helped.

next up is Double Dribble, the first NES basketball game.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I like them but I think you know that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

deadly towers sucks but its at least interesting, theres like 80% of a good game in there and ll they needed to do was do some rebalancing and changes to fix it. i dont ever want to play it again but its got this rep for being a epically massive turd and there's way worse on the nes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

deadly towers sucks but its at least interesting, theres like 80% of a good game in there and ll they needed to do was do some rebalancing and changes to fix it. i dont ever want to play it again but its got this rep for being a epically massive turd and there's way worse on the nes

i think the player/regular monster HP imbalance and the fact that you'd take forever wandering very long, samey, hidden dungeons to correct that problem without a guide make it actually bad. someone could probably make a playable romhack by changing a handful of variables, though. overall, it's 80 percent of a good game that's dragged down to turd level by a few major flaws.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i think the player/regular monster HP imbalance and the fact that you'd take forever wandering very long, samey, hidden dungeons to correct that problem without a guide make it actually bad. someone could probably make a playable romhack by changing a handful of variables, though. overall, it's 80 percent of a good game that's dragged down to turd level by a few major flaws.

oh no its definitely bad but like, it couldve been good. i feel like they rushed it out to compete wth zelda and if they'd given it another six months it could have been pretty good. id way rather play it than like hydlide though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Despite its negativity, Hydlide was one of the first action RPGs to hit Japan and although it hasn't aged well, it had a few mechanics that are used today. For instance, you are able to regenerate your health by standing still. Future games such as Halo (in the form of a regenerating energy shield, and later, also regenerating health) and Call of Duty would use this mechanic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

lmao

Despite its negativity, Hydlide was one of the first action RPGs to hit Japan and although it hasn't aged well, it had a few mechanics that are used today. For instance, you are able to regenerate your health by standing still. Future games such as Halo (in the form of a regenerating energy shield, and later, also regenerating health) and Call of Duty would use this mechanic.

Lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

oh no its definitely bad but like, it couldve been good. i feel like they rushed it out to compete wth zelda and if they'd given it another six months it could have been pretty good. id way rather play it than like hydlide though

I swear I read an article or interview somewhere and this almost exactly what happened

I owned it as a kid and it sucked back then too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

was going to hold off on posting in case i finished another one today, but that seems unlikely.

:stare:

Double Dribble

my only experience in the real world playing basketball was in gym class. usually the teacher would just leave us on our own and this one kid, who was actually on the basketball team, would periodically throw basketballs at the back of my head while i tried to play with my similarly sports-inept friends. i don't know why, i pretty much never spoke to him. then during COVID he got really into trying to organize high school reunions and contacted me on facebook apologizing for it. like this long, moving heartfelt thing about how he had to be a better person now so he could be a good example for his kids and how toxic masculinity had tainted his teen years or whatever. it was one of the most genuine apologies i've ever gotten in my life, completely out of nowhere. i'm probably always going to think of that dude when i see a basketball now, lol.

so obviously the sports video games are mostly not for me. but as far as NES sports goes, even i can tell this is well-made. konami knew what they were doing. i have the same complaint i have with a lot of these, which is that it's hard to tell which player you're controlling at times (when you're on defense, here, you switch with B, but it takes awhile to understand how it chooses which player you're switching to). i was really frustrated with it at first until i read a FAQ with the controls (i couldn't tell why it kept saying "travelling," because in this game, that just means holding the B button too long when you take a shot). i felt way better playing it once i had all the information that would have presumably come with the instruction booklet in the cartridge. i should have just read the controls instead of trying to figure them out and getting creamed badly.

like most early sports games, it has difficulty settings (three, i chose the middle one), an option for 2 player, and you can pick what team you play as from a pool of 3 (no licenses, so no real teams). you can set the timer for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes per period (and it counts in ticks rather than seconds, so you can beat it in about 15 minutes once you know how to play). it has cool cut scenes that are kind of impressive for the NES at the beginning, end, at halftime (cheerleaders dance) and, most awesomely, whenever you dunk.

it even has some voices (mostly just saying "Double dribble" but still cool for the time). i think this holds up pretty well even when you compare it to a lot of SNES basketball.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

was going to hold off on posting in case i finished another one today, but that seems unlikely.

:stare:

Double Dribble

my only experience in the real world playing basketball was in gym class. usually the teacher would just leave us on our own and this one kid, who was actually on the basketball team, would periodically throw basketballs at the back of my head while i tried to play with my similarly sports-inept friends. i don't know why, i pretty much never spoke to him. then during COVID he got really into trying to organize high school reunions and contacted me on facebook apologizing for it. like this long, moving heartfelt thing about how he had to be a better person now so he could be a good example for his kids and how toxic masculinity had tainted his teen years or whatever. it was one of the most genuine apologies i've ever gotten in my life, completely out of nowhere. i'm probably always going to think of that dude when i see a basketball now, lol.

i hope you rejected that rear end. think you can write your way out of a guilty conscience? wrong bitch!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

i hope you rejected that rear end. think you can write your way out of a guilty conscience? wrong bitch!!

This.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hope you kidnapped that guy, locked him in a hotel room for fifteen years and then orchestrated a series of events to make him feel the same pain you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

Double Dribble

This was a major holy poo poo moment when I first saw it as a kid