Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I hope you kidnapped that guy, locked him in a hotel room for fifteen years and then orchestrated a series of events to make him feel the same pain you did.

I hope you tortured him psychologically by engineering a situation in which he was about to have sex with a bunch of hot women before suddenly remembering he's married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

I hope you tortured him psychologically by engineering a situation in which he was about to have sex with a bunch of hot women before suddenly remembering he's married.

Lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

b_d posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

b_d posted:

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reserved.

1/17 Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Happy Home Paradise

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 17, 2022

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

.hack//G.U. Last Recode

The atmosphere was on point all the way through. Glad to be done with it though, too much grinding.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[1]Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (PC) 1/6/22

one of the absolute best games ever made, and it's free. It's literally a perfect game. 10/10

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

one of the absolute best games ever made, and it's free. It's literally a perfect game. 10/10

Congrats dude

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Well done.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:cheerdoge:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell yeah dude. now beat nethack

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Beat Ancient Donajns of Mastery, or whatever, nethack, Times of Middle Earth(?) and dear fortress’s adventure mode. And Rogue Legacy - the coupy de grace. ThHEN I’ll be impressed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Shadow Man Remastered - 120 Dark Souls

This is one of those games that I was always interested in when it was current on the N64, but I never got around to getting it. The Remaster was a very nice surprise so I grabbed it, and played it with a friend who was also interested. We ended up really liking it! I'm an absolute sucker for exploration, and this game has that in droves and then some.

Good stuff:
+ going "ah poo poo we never ended up going in this hole, did we?" and finding that last Dark Soul in an area
+ finding the second Violator and dual-wielding the supermachineguns
+ atmospheric as hell
+ the writing is over-the-top corny in just the right way
+ really like the overall progression
+ pacing super strong until the very end

Eh stuff:
- combat is p boring, most things have too much health and once you get the shield, it's basically solved
- no ingame map, eventually you'll just get lost as hell
- some obscure progression stuff we had to look up because we just didn't get it
- the real life locations suck. The Remaster added two new areas and I can see why they were cut in the original, but also the originally-there apartment complex for example is absolutely terrible to navigate, insanely boring (no enemies, just thousands of tiny rooms to get lost in) and the bosses at the end are mountains of HP and zero fun to fight

Generally a strong recommendation to try out when it's one sale, of the 26 hours we played we had great fun for at least 20 of them, the rest were getting lost and refighting boring enemies. I'll take that ratio any day for such a cool-looking game, very strong art and design that still holds up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

2) KeyWe (2P Co-op)

A lot of fun, will definitely be trying to get all gold rankings.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Shadow Man Remastered - 120 Dark Souls

This is one of those games that I was always interested in when it was current on the N64, but I never got around to getting it. The Remaster was a very nice surprise so I grabbed it, and played it with a friend who was also interested. We ended up really liking it! I'm an absolute sucker for exploration, and this game has that in droves and then some.

Good stuff:
+ going "ah poo poo we never ended up going in this hole, did we?" and finding that last Dark Soul in an area
+ finding the second Violator and dual-wielding the supermachineguns
+ atmospheric as hell
+ the writing is over-the-top corny in just the right way
+ really like the overall progression
+ pacing super strong until the very end

Eh stuff:
- combat is p boring, most things have too much health and once you get the shield, it's basically solved
- no ingame map, eventually you'll just get lost as hell
- some obscure progression stuff we had to look up because we just didn't get it
- the real life locations suck. The Remaster added two new areas and I can see why they were cut in the original, but also the originally-there apartment complex for example is absolutely terrible to navigate, insanely boring (no enemies, just thousands of tiny rooms to get lost in) and the bosses at the end are mountains of HP and zero fun to fight

Generally a strong recommendation to try out when it's one sale, of the 26 hours we played we had great fun for at least 20 of them, the rest were getting lost and refighting boring enemies. I'll take that ratio any day for such a cool-looking game, very strong art and design that still holds up.

the n64 version ive had since i was a kid came with a physical map

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lost Judgment

Amazing as always

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

the n64 version ive had since i was a kid came with a physical map
This one?

we consulted that a lot, or rather the updated one for the remaster:

For overworld navigation, it's fine and it helps a lot to see where your next progress point and possible upgrades are. For inside the levels, not so much - though I don't know what an "ingame map" for those could actually look like unless you go full Metroid Prime, which would take away a lot of the "oh lol we're back in this room" moments. It's mostly fine, but there were definitely a few cases where I went through an entire huge level in circles three times before I realized that I'd never taken one specific door, or - embarrassing example - where I didn't realize that there's not one giant lava room with a rotating churner-blade setpiece, but two that look identical.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

yeah thats the one, i still have it and will be using it when i decide to replay the game on dreamcast

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

is shadowman the game that opens with narration from jack the ripper? i think i vaguely recall playing that at a friend's house.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

is shadowman the game that opens with narration from jack the ripper? i think i vaguely recall playing that at a friend's house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1O7Zio7c0

jup

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lode Runner
this was a pretty cool puzzle game in the vein of Wrecking Crew. gold is scattered throughout the level, as are enemy guards. you can move, climb ladders, climb horizontally along ropes, and eliminate a brick block that is immediately underneath you; they reappear after a few seconds. you can fall as far as you want. you lose if the guards get you, if your brick reappears in a space that you're inside, or if you get stuck in an area that you can't escape from (this is easy to do, on purpose). sometimes there are invisible holes that both you and guards will fall through if you try to walk on them (this is surprisingly not as annoying as it sounds most of the time). if the guards end up in a brick as its reappearing, they respawn, but they can also easily get stuck. there's a lot to do with those basic concepts! personally, i don't think there is 150 levels of it, though, so i'm glad i played the NES port, which only has 50 levels. that felt just about right. when you beat the game, it just loops back to the beginning - no ending. i was curious if there was supposed to be a story, so i read the instruction booklet - apparently you are supposed to be a galactic rebel stealing unfair food taxes back from the vaults of an evil empire, lol.

interestingly, there's a level editor, which i think would have been pretty revolutionary at the time. it feels pretty clunky now, and the main game feels like it explored most of the interesting things that you can do with the mechanics, with more screen room than the level editor has. still, it's a very early example of letting players make their own content, and probably the most impressive thing about the game.

some complaints: often the puzzle aspect is figuring out how to dig into a set of bricks to get some gold without locking yourself in, which is fine, but on a few levels, the solution for getting out is falling through an invisible hole. that sucks. the difficulty curve on this is also weird. there are levels in the teens and 20s that are middle-of-wrecking-crew hard, but most of the levels after 40 just involve moving quickly to capture the guards, and the puzzles sort of start to fizzle out. also, in wrecking crew, you could pause and pan over the screen to plan. while it's not as necessary in lode runner, there are levels where it would have helped (i believe this is unique to the NES port, as you can see the full screen on the apple 2 version).

next up: Raid on Bungeling Bay, which sounds like it was designed purely to give imps an opportunity to make fun of its name.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

next up: Raid on Bungeling Bay

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anyway, lode runner kicked rear end as a kid, theres no game exactly like it and the level editor was a real cool idea. they do some real cleaver stuff with a limited toolset

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Lode Runner
this was a pretty cool puzzle game in the vein of Wrecking Crew. gold is scattered throughout the level, as are enemy guards. you can move, climb ladders, climb horizontally along ropes, and eliminate a brick block that is immediately underneath you; they reappear after a few seconds. you can fall as far as you want. you lose if the guards get you, if your brick reappears in a space that you're inside, or if you get stuck in an area that you can't escape from (this is easy to do, on purpose). sometimes there are invisible holes that both you and guards will fall through if you try to walk on them (this is surprisingly not as annoying as it sounds most of the time). if the guards end up in a brick as its reappearing, they respawn, but they can also easily get stuck. there's a lot to do with those basic concepts! personally, i don't think there is 150 levels of it, though, so i'm glad i played the NES port, which only has 50 levels. that felt just about right. when you beat the game, it just loops back to the beginning - no ending. i was curious if there was supposed to be a story, so i read the instruction booklet - apparently you are supposed to be a galactic rebel stealing unfair food taxes back from the vaults of an evil empire, lol.

interestingly, there's a level editor, which i think would have been pretty revolutionary at the time. it feels pretty clunky now, and the main game feels like it explored most of the interesting things that you can do with the mechanics, with more screen room than the level editor has. still, it's a very early example of letting players make their own content, and probably the most impressive thing about the game.

some complaints: often the puzzle aspect is figuring out how to dig into a set of bricks to get some gold without locking yourself in, which is fine, but on a few levels, the solution for getting out is falling through an invisible hole. that sucks. the difficulty curve on this is also weird. there are levels in the teens and 20s that are middle-of-wrecking-crew hard, but most of the levels after 40 just involve moving quickly to capture the guards, and the puzzles sort of start to fizzle out. also, in wrecking crew, you could pause and pan over the screen to plan. while it's not as necessary in lode runner, there are levels where it would have helped (i believe this is unique to the NES port, as you can see the full screen on the apple 2 version).

next up: Raid on Bungeling Bay, which sounds like it was designed purely to give imps an opportunity to make fun of its name.

raid on bungling bay was the first famicom game to do hoizontal and vertical scrolling at the same time in 1984 or w/e. for some reason they hadn't thot of it yet. also will wright designed it and him dicking around with the map editor toolset maxis made was what inspired simcity. farewell

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

2. Gorogoa. Neat puzzler with some cool designs but I don't think it would be worth paying more than a buck or two for imo. thankfully I have gamepass

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

raid on bungling bay was the first famicom game to do hoizontal and vertical scrolling at the same time in 1984 or w/e. for some reason they hadn't thot of it yet. also will wright designed it and him dicking around with the map editor toolset maxis made was what inspired simcity. farewell

cool. thanks.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

1/2: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Classic poo poo. I was disappointed in how the time loop gimmick only gets used properly in clock town, and is basically just a time limit in the outer four areas. I probably would have beaten this yesterday if it wasn't for closing without saving after doing an entire dungeon twice. Stone Tower is probably my favourite N64 Zelda dungeon. Gyorg was a bad boss. Fantastic game overall.

Now 100%

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

hell yea. don't feel like looking are you doing all of em or was this a one off

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

heehee posted:

hell yea. don't feel like looking are you doing all of em or was this a one off

one off

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

loving hype.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

loving hype.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Raid on Bungeling Bay, Game B

it turns out that this is the coolest thing about this game (it's 1987 for the record), which sucks, very badly. i'm guessing it's the port, because i can see how a lot of things would be better on a computer. it's clear that a lot of effort was put into it and it's unique and a lot of the ideas are sound, but the execution is just terrible. if you're a programmer, i think reading about how it works might be interesting - it was too big for memory so they recycle a lot of the screens.

so apparently the bungelings were the same bad guys as from lode runner - this is technically a sequel. this time instead of taxing food, they're building some kind of AI war machine at six factories, and you have to destroy them or they're going to blow up earth. you control a helicopter can that shoot bullets at the various hostiles or drop bombs on a factory. there's a carrier ship you have to get to in order to refuel (and it can be destroyed by the bad guys). the map is 100 screens big, in a 10 by 10 grid, and you have to find the six factories and bomb them all. the factories create more hostiles (planes, battleships, helicopters, etc) so it's important to get them fast. once you do, you beat the level. i'm letting myself cheat here - the game technically has 9 levels, but they are all identical in Game B (in Game A, the game apparently starts you off with an easier level 3 times and then is identical to Game A :rolleyes: ). and there's no ending (it just loops), so i'm calling it after beating one level, and no one is going to talk me into playing more. i acknowledge that games like Athena are worse than this because at least this is innovative and gave birth to sim city, but this was the most excruciating one for me to play so far except maybe for the wrestling games. i'd probably be putting this whole project in a sock drawer if Bungeling Bay were longer. one level takes about 15 minutes, but it took me like three hours to even figure out what i was doing. there are tons of units and a lot of rules and math involving damage to the carrier, the units, the factories, etc that i didn't get super into, learning the basics were enough. i wish it had been a turn based strategy game.

why is it so bad? the controls. your helicopter goes faster when you tap up and slower when you tap down, and you use left and right to steer. A shoots the gun, B drops bombs. it is slow to turn. it is slow to speed up. it is slow to slow down. your bullets have very little range and they're also slow. the bombs are so slow and finicky, i had difficulty telling when i had run out of them. in general, your inputs feel like they are being relayed by a game of telephone in a fast-moving combat that requires a lot of strategy to defend your own base while attacking the enemy. i thought the instruction manual was wrong about how to refuel because of how difficult it is to land on your carrier. the factories themselves do not particularly stand out compared to the design for the rest of the buildings and they don't respond differently when you bomb them (until they finally explode, and some of them have more hits than you have bombs), so for a long time i thought they were not factories and kept searching. the factories also regenerate while you're not actively attacking them, which can really gently caress you over. eventually i memorized where all the factories were and drew myself a rudimentary map, and was able to eke out a win, although i still ended up speeding past my objective often and wanting to throw my hat on the floor and stomp on it like diddy kong. the map:

i think all this needed to be a good game was intuitive, responsive controls, but as it is, it feels like playing a real time strategy game with a broken keyboard. there's a reason will wright preferred loving around with the level editor to playing the game, and it's because the level editor was the basic starting point for sim city.

e: next up is ring king, which i expect probably got eclipsed by punch out, since that came out the following month.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 7, 2022

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I just beat I am Dead

game was weird and kinda bad, oh well, it's done now.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Gorogoa. Neat little puzzle game, on gamepass and only takes an hour or two.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 3-5 rune run

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
1.) The Ultimate Doom - UV Pistol Start all 4 episodes in Crispy Doom

Didn't bother with 100% kills or secrets and really started save scumming around e3. Also gently caress Thy Flesh Consumed.

I reckon SIGIL is next.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

kirby: star allies. really fun game, kind of short but i liked it a lot. takin a break now bug may come back for the extra modes sometime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
1) Katamari Damacy. quick playthough of one of my faves. still brings a bitg smile to my face when you go from getting big stuff to ripping buildings out of the ground.