Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

oh no its definitely bad but like, it couldve been good. i feel like they rushed it out to compete wth zelda and if they'd given it another six months it could have been pretty good. id way rather play it than like hydlide though

I swear I read an article or interview somewhere and this almost exactly what happened

I owned it as a kid and it sucked back then too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

Wizards & Warriors (NES)

I think I used four continues? I wish I'd known about the feather in level 2 back in the day so I could've beat it then, instead of dying 300 times in level 3 waiting for a blue potion to spawn. Now I want to try Ironsword again but I know I won't beat it.

Lol I looked at Ironsword for five minutes then remembered what a turd it is.

I don't think I ever got past the fire boss.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

tmfc posted:

there's a quality of life ROM hack called Metroid + Saving that replaces the PW system with save files (which i think were in the FDS version) and a mini-map that you can access by pressing select but that defeats some of the challenge imo

The version packed in with zero mission had a quick save which is why I finally was able to beat it. As a kid I would inevitably gently caress up some part of transcribing the 24 character case sensitive password.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Love to finally see it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Beat Peglin. Pretty good game concept but it felt a little too "early access" if you catch my drift.

Did you beat it on Cruciball mode? I've been banging my head against it and yeah it needs more time in the oven for sure.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Martman posted:

Final Fantasy XIV (All Fish Caught)

This is the most unhealthy gaming task I've ever taken on, and I've done plenty of grindy MMO bullshit. I still love this game but I really want to ease off of any video game stuff that requires you to adjust your real life schedule based on what's happening in the game.

There's a fish in this game, Ealad Skaan, that is often unavailable for days of IRL time, sometimes over a week between windows, and when it's up it's available for literally 90 seconds. And during that time there's about a 1% chance of your casts actually getting it. And it's far from the hardest fish to catch in the game (well, probably top 20 out of over a thousand).

Still felt super satisfying to get 'em all though.

loving Sick. Imp Static crushes FSH

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i spent 1 week trying to beat legacy of the wizard and then my mom turned off my nes, in the process tearing my heart out and killing me. not doin that again any time soon

I tried to beat this and played it on emulator just to not deal with the 32 character password system, but joke was on me cause turned out whatever emulator I was using crashes on the final boss and only the final boss.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Martman posted:

First time I tried Dishonoured I was dumb and wanted to avoid killing entirely, and it made it pretty lame. I need to give it another go and go hog wild with the murdering

The story kinda pushes you towards nonlethal cause 95% of the enemies are just random security guards who have nothing to do with the bad guy's conspiracy. But yeah gameplay wise the nonlethal toolbox is like a quarter the size of the lethal one so I dunno why they set it up that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Halo 1 combat evolved: very mixed bag. super open environments that are mostly empty, lots of copypasted areas (theres that arena you fight covenant in that is a circular hallway surrounding a room with glass panes separating them with like 3 variations and you see it like at least 14 times in the campaign, the parallel bridges that you fight in like 5 times, the goddamn purple corridors in the covenant ship that go on forever), straight up reused maps, the library is one hour of copypasted large flat rooms and enemies being spammed at you, the driving controls are absolutely some of the worst poo poo ive ever experienced in my life, the flood are boring, the assault rifle sucks rear end.

the levels have a very quake-y chunky brush style design with blocky shapes which often they let you climb with no invisible walls and im a fan of that, and they seem to do some level streaming so loading screens are basically only at the start of chapters.
theres some very good atmosphere in a bunch of areas with lighting and fog effects (which the anniversary graphics completely massacre so i never used them), and theres a lot of music, most of it very good and great mood setters. it avoids the awful cartoon sci fi synth sound and instead uses a lot of percussion.
the absolute best part of this game is that they give you grenades constantly to encourage throwing them everywhere, and grenades on the floor can be detonated by explosions which make for great chains that often kill you in funny ways. also sometimes its got a nice sense of humor in the cutscenes.
oh and the 4 way battles between you, the covenant, the flood and guilty spark were cool, wish there had been more of that.

overall i think it was mediocre, and would rather replay fear fifty times before this. i liked the very short time you spend in the swamp cause it looked moody. bye

These were pretty much all my exact thoughts when Halo first came out so I guess it didn't get any worse with age