Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aria of Sorrow - Julius Mode

I was really looking forward to this one after Maxim mode really exceeded my expectations, and Aria is a great game after all - but I ended up being disappointed by it. There's no reason for Julius to explore the castle, as there are no upgrades for him, except for the bosses. Because they are the same, the smartest thing to do is staying in sequence. If you do, it's braindead easy. It's fun clowning on dudes, but overall it feels a bit empty.

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1478458497985515520?s=20

Case in point.

Took me one hour and small change to complete it. Maybe it's got more teeth on Hard, but I'll postpone that.

First, I started the last game on the CV collection, Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss. I did play the Dracula X Chronicles remake, but this one's very different - I hadn't known before that the SNES version is basically its own game. It's loving hard!!! I reached the Werewolf today and got my rear end kicked, that's enough for now. I feel like I can beat it, but it's insanely unforgiving...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shadow Man Remastered - 120 Dark Souls

This is one of those games that I was always interested in when it was current on the N64, but I never got around to getting it. The Remaster was a very nice surprise so I grabbed it, and played it with a friend who was also interested. We ended up really liking it! I'm an absolute sucker for exploration, and this game has that in droves and then some.

Good stuff:
+ going "ah poo poo we never ended up going in this hole, did we?" and finding that last Dark Soul in an area
+ finding the second Violator and dual-wielding the supermachineguns
+ atmospheric as hell
+ the writing is over-the-top corny in just the right way
+ really like the overall progression
+ pacing super strong until the very end

Eh stuff:
- combat is p boring, most things have too much health and once you get the shield, it's basically solved
- no ingame map, eventually you'll just get lost as hell
- some obscure progression stuff we had to look up because we just didn't get it
- the real life locations suck. The Remaster added two new areas and I can see why they were cut in the original, but also the originally-there apartment complex for example is absolutely terrible to navigate, insanely boring (no enemies, just thousands of tiny rooms to get lost in) and the bosses at the end are mountains of HP and zero fun to fight

Generally a strong recommendation to try out when it's one sale, of the 26 hours we played we had great fun for at least 20 of them, the rest were getting lost and refighting boring enemies. I'll take that ratio any day for such a cool-looking game, very strong art and design that still holds up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

the n64 version ive had since i was a kid came with a physical map
This one?

we consulted that a lot, or rather the updated one for the remaster:

For overworld navigation, it's fine and it helps a lot to see where your next progress point and possible upgrades are. For inside the levels, not so much - though I don't know what an "ingame map" for those could actually look like unless you go full Metroid Prime, which would take away a lot of the "oh lol we're back in this room" moments. It's mostly fine, but there were definitely a few cases where I went through an entire huge level in circles three times before I realized that I'd never taken one specific door, or - embarrassing example - where I didn't realize that there's not one giant lava room with a rotating churner-blade setpiece, but two that look identical.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

is shadowman the game that opens with narration from jack the ripper? i think i vaguely recall playing that at a friend's house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1O7Zio7c0

jup

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Final Fantasy is a cool series because every player has a different Best One. People say "oh it's just the one you played first" but that's reductive as hell. The games are so diverse that they resonate differently with everybody, and I think that's not a flaw because it keeps nerds arguing, it's instead a wonderful achievement because you can play the whole series and you WILL find your personal GOTY in there unless you, like, hate the concept of JRPGs.

Personally 6 leaves me kinda cold but I love 9 (world and story), 5 (mechanics) and 2 (it's broken but super fascinating). IMO an "ideal playing order" would be to pick what looks interesting either in presentation, or from what people tell you they love about it, and see if it also is your jam. Don't force yourself to go by a certain order and don't force yourself to finish one that you don't really enjoy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

https://ggapp.io/SimplySimon fun site

Maybe it'll help me remember what I actually have when I next think "oh I want to try a new game"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Me: yeah just gonna add this year's games from now on

Also me scrolling through an imp who followed me's list: yeah I played this too and this and that and ooh nice taste *click click click

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

gat drat sekiro is kicking my rear end. feel like i'm not even at the first boss (beat a few generals and the..ogre dude?) and im struggling so much on the lil mini dudes, the lil babbies. am i supposed to go further into the Harata(sp?) estate, or gently caress up more of the Ashina Castle?
Sekiro has a bunch of different ways you can go very early, you found two of them. I don't think there's a clear "best" or "supposed" route, just poke around in the routes you have open until you find enough upgrades and/or practice so you stop getting owned

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

No Dignity posted:

First game of the year complete - Unsighted. I only even heard about this through Iron Pineapple's souls games you've never heard of series but I think this is being massively slept on. It's pretty much a straight cross between a 2D Zelda and a Metroid, there's practically no distinctions between dungeons and field areas either so everywhere ties into each other through loads of map links and and can sequence broken wide open through movement techs and secret equipment applications. You can really tell the dev really liked Twilight Princess too because it's straight up got the spinner and dual hookshots but they're both insanely useful movement options in this game and the stars of the show. Also the entire thing looks like an insanely lush 2D PS1 game with 90s anime cyberpunk aesthetic, just a complete treat from start to finish
that's like five selling points at once, I should check it out

fadam posted:

1) Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster

Awesome game, couldn’t pick a better one to start the year off.

It was a lot harder than I remember. I had to lean really heavy on Mix, Gil Toss, And Rapid Fire/Spell Blade to beat some of the last bosses. I might try the four job fiesta out this year and try to use some of the shittier classes and see how far I can get. I hear Blue Magic and Item Throw are both really strong but I barely used them.

These Pixel Remasters kick rear end, they look fantastic (other than the font lol) and every song remaster is amazing. I bet the FFVI is insane.
fiesta rocks, I'm looking forward to doing it on the remaster the first time. I've done a bunch of dumb combos, hmu if you have issues

also: do you know how to fix the font? If it works like it did for FF1, it's super simple

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sonic Generations (3DS)

Really short game just to finish (I think it took me under 2 hours), but except for 1/7 levels which sucked, it was really fun. It sadly does not have Red Rings to collect - which I really liked doing in other Sonics - but at least the S-Ranks are quite tricky to get, so I have a "reason" to try and get the shortcuts and high paths - and there's 100 short missions which might be fun or not, let's see. I'll keep playing it until I'm bored.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Deathloop

this game super ruled. Extremely tight design with the four areas that change with the time of day (so it's 16 areas, really) and tons of poo poo to discover. I got one ending but I want to immediately go through the loop again and do things better this time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lmao and also

ArfJason posted:

Time moves when you move in Fates of SUPERHORT
lmao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

pokemon shining pearl. awful. they stick so close to the original games that there's basically no reason for it to exist. just play platinum again instead
I sometimes get the opposite version to my buddy, so I was considering getting Pearl to his Diamond. But he told me that they made TMs one-use again so we agreed that only one of us should spend money on that POS

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sonic Unleashed (Wii)

this game was surprisingly good. I enjoyed it a lot. The controls sometimes are a little slippery which can lead to frustrating deaths especially as the werehog, but the respawn system is super generous and it has one of the most sensible lives system I've ever seen (you always start with your max, and you can increase that permanently), so it's nbd. Getting high ranks gives you medals that unlock small side areas that have interesting puzzles, where you can find said life upgrades. the day stages are imo a very solid attempt to make 2D-Sonic-style upper and lower paths in 3D, while having a good take on the modern boost gameplay. finally, I like that the game makes basic movement into a challenge - not because of the controls, but because the drift system for normal sonic and how werehog sonic turns while running make turning corners and hitting things while doing it surprisingly tough but rewarding to pull off.

I'll get the Xbox360 version in the mail tomorrow so that's gonna be a cool comparison!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah I'm playing DeS remake right now and always killing yourself after a boss is such a bizarre but necessary ritual if you want the Stuff. At least it's possible to work around it, but still...

Great game otherwise

Anyway, I'm here for

Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss

You might remember that I posted about playing this right in my Aria post. Well, it took me until now to beat this pos. The game is absolutely infuriating. Every screen seems to be designed to gently caress you over unless you intuit what the designers wanted. It could be a fun puzzle if it wasn't so mean-spirited about it, with one mistake often costing you a death or a loop around the stage as you fell somewhere. And Richter moves so slow and it feels so clunky that replaying stuff isn't fun.

I was stuck for many sessions at the sixth (penultimate) stage which has a truly stupid screen with falling platforms and infinitely spawning bats which you have to be, again, perfect at whipping out of the air or you die. You loop around the room to a higher platform and there's a dude protecting it I still have zero clue how they expected me to get past. I did it sometimes by sheer luck then died to some bullshit later.

The key to this was realizing you can skip the whole room by jumping up the first set of platforms quickly.

Anyway despite my misgivings, it felt great to conquer this, and I never used save states except at the start of each stage to save inputting the password each time. I even made sure to game over first so I started each stage blank.

Do I recommend checking this out? Hell no. It sucks. If you're into lolling at all the gotcha poo poo, it might be worth it, and you'll get some cool bossfights too. Not Dracula tho he was boring as poo poo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I just realized there's a good ending involving some bullshit and stages I missed so I didn't actually conquer poo poo. gently caress

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Demon's Souls Remake

I've played the original before but never quite finished it, because it's just not the same on emulator. Now I got the PS5 version and drat this game rules. I like how you really want to build up a collection of silver bullets, a stabbing weapon, a good shield, a ranged option, something that does magic damage etc. because stuff is just hilariously weak to one or the other and almost impossible to kill with anything else. Yeah, it's super unbalanced, some of the options are extremely bad, some enemies seem overtuned as hell while most bosses are a joke even if they're not meant to be pure puzzles, but overall it's still a really drat good game.

The remake makes it looks absolutely breathtaking. Some few things lose atmosphere (the skeletons are an obvious downgrade), but e.g. the upper part of Latria with the green fire is stunning. Was just walking through open-mouthed basically. I played this with my wife who usually hates Souls stuff, but she also wanted to see everything just because it looks so good.

Went for the evil ending because it fit how I ended the playthrough - showing off Black Character tendency stuff - and because it's just more interesting than the good one. I'll probably play this again soon with a broken magic build and/or NG+ with this character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tasering people in the butt to knock them out ftw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)