Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Super Duper Metroid
Awesome Super Metroid romhack. The world is really well designed. There's some headscratchers here and there but there was always something to do. It has some cool optional quality of life features. Like, you can change the timer for bombs, speed up the speed booster acceleration. Then there's stuff that lets you improve the performance of the game or make it look slightly better in some specific aspects. my biggest complaint, I guess, is that the game's performance kinda tanks in parts of Brinstar.

The game also has a built in randomizer. Did one run and got bombs last because of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I beat Crosscode yesterday. Good game, really like it.
Some of the puzzles and enemy gimmicks can be a bit annoying but it's overall really great.

Doing the DLC next.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Aston posted:

24. CrossCode

This has taken me a long time to finish even though I really enjoyed it - I broke off my playthrough a bit over halfway through when Elden Ring came out, and only came back to it recently.

I found out about this from a Razbuten video about "indie games that you might not have tried", having never heard of it before, and I agree with his review that it's crazy this game isn't talked about in the same way as the other indie darlings like Undertale or Braid or whatever. It's a top-down sort of zelda/rpg hybrid but both the combat and the puzzles were pushed to their absolute limit - most of the enemies are sort of mini puzzles in that there's a certain way to break their defence and deal them a lot of damage, and some of them are incredibly inventive with this, and the puzzles (which were the highlight for me) are explorations of a particular mechanic and were mind-bending but never felt unfair.

I even liked the story, although your mileage may vary - there's a bunch of layers given the set up which is that you're trapped in a MMO, so you're playing through the story of the game you're in, there's a meta story of what's going on with your character, and then there's a sort of side story of the other players you meet along the way. For whatever reason, the experience of making real friendships online really struck a chord with me right after the pandemic, who would have thought. The actual writing was really good as well, I laughed out loud multiple times which is pretty rare for a game.

The only unfortunate part for me was the ending, as there's a "point of no return" which I went through severely underleveled and had to knock the difficulty down a bit to finish, which left a slightly bad taste in my mouth, but other than that I can't say enough positive things about this game. I loved it.
IT took me two attempts to beat this. Three years ago I quit right before the final boss because I didn't have the energy for the puzzle right before it. Kinda embarrassing.

Recently I started from the beginning again, did most of the quests and had tons of fun. Actually beat it too.

Now I'm playing through the DLC. It's a continuation of the story. Not done with it yet but I'd recommend it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Final Fantasy V (The remaster)

5 is definitely the one that aged the best in my opinion. Even with FF6 I'm more like, okay, I remember it being good but I don't really need to play it again.
But somehow I don't get tired of playing FF5 every couple of years. Maybe I'll finally do a fiesta run or something in summer too

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Haven't been able to finish as many games as I normally do this year but I did beat Elden Ring several times

Games Beat
1. Grim Dawn - drat, this game's good. It scratches that aRPG itch I ocassionally have perfectly.
2. Elden Ring - Beat this four or five times it's so loving good holy poo poo. Can't wait to get back into it some later time.
3. Tetris Effect - You never truly beat Tetris but y'know, I beat the journey mode of Tetris Effect.
4. 20 Minutes Till Dawn - Another one I'd say you can't truly beat, but I played through what was out of it at the time, good game.
5. Judgment - Firing this up was like coming home to Kamurocho, great game.
6. Lost Judgment - For a while I was like "wow this is better than Yakuza 0" but then I ran into some annoying stuff. Still top tier game. There's a cat on the title screen.
7. CrossCode - Fun charming game with some pacing problems, still gotta finish that DLC.
8. Final Fantasy V (Remaster) - It's always good, really. I have trouble going back to a lot of older games, even ones that I liked a lot but not this one.

Normally I beat Super Metroid once a year... haven't done that this year. Yet. There's still time. Maybe I will if I'm in the mood.

Games I started and am determined to finish, but not this year.
Monster Hunter Rise - Having a lot of fun so far.
Metal Hellsinger - I like FPS games and I like metal. Now if only I was good at timing my mouse clicks with the beat of the music....

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yakuza 3 (100%)

The Okinawa chapters where Kiryu is helping out kids at the orphanage are great, and it's nice to have some new scenery. Other than that, this was pretty rough since it's the oldest game in the series I've played. Most of the minigames were janky, and this had the most brutal completion list so far by a wide margin. Hopefully this one gets the Kiwami treatment someday.
This is where I'm at with Y3 too, love the vibes but it shows its age. A Kiwami remake would kick rear end.