Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

1. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Rank: B) - 1/2
2. Kirby's Adventure - 1/17
3. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (final team: Empoleon, Machamp, Alakazam, Togekiss, Houndoom, Roserade) - 1/18
4. Warioware: Get It Together! - 2/7
5. Yume Nikki - 2/23
6. Deus Ex (merge with Helios ending) - 5/8
7. Ace Attorney: Justice for All (Good ending) - 5/18
8. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - 5/29
9. Neon White (100%, all Ace medals earned, all gifts collected) - 6/30
10. Carrion - 7/4
11. Superliminal - 7/5
12. The Looker - 7/11
13. Crash Bandicoot 1 (66% completion) - 8/28
14. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - 9/1
15. Quackshot Starring Donald Duck - 9/3
16. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (59% completion) - 9/5
17. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (32% completion) - 9/8
18. Deep Fear - 9/18
19. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (100% completion/true ending) - 10/16
20. Resident Evil: Dead Aim - 10/19
21. Timesplitters: Future Perfect - 10/26
22. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - 11/5
23. Warioland 4 (Normal mode, all CDs) - 11/13
24. Dragon Quest - 11/21
25. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Normal, all treasures) - 11/25
26. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (All slimes) - 12/12
27. F-Zero (all leagues) - 12/14
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 (warpless) - 12/16
29. Warioworld (all spritelings) - 12/19
30. Metal Slug 3 - 12/20
31. Super Mario World - 12/22
32. Super Mario Bros. - 12/27
33. Tokimeki Memorial (Nozomi Kiyokawa ending) - 12/31
34. Metal: Hellsinger - 12/31

symbolic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

1. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Rank: B)

overall, pretty drat great. none of the new gadgets or maneuvers felt wasted and it was cool how the Poltergust could interact with basically everything in the mansion/hotel. lot more focus on puzzle-solving and exploring the environment than the original, too. only a couple of gripes, mostly about the Boiler Room thanks to being stuck on a raft for a good portion of it, and i wasn't a fan of how catching Boos felt in this one. i don't think you even needed to catch a single one to beat the game but idk

also John Romero is even more of a massive bitch forever for spending hours struggling to aim on the final boss when the game gently locks onto the target you need to hit once you're over it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

BTW https://ggapp.io/ is a cool site to keep track of your games. I like it more than backloggery since it's easy to make custom lists like "Games Beat" etc. I've been using it the past few years since it was unsure whether this site would fall into the grasp of satan himself but I continue to use it because I like it

https://ggapp.io/synthy add me from here, i think

i've used Backloggd for some time now but i'm likin how streamlined this looks. gonna give it a whirl for my 2022 goals, thanks synthy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

here's mine, gonna be adding stuff throughout the day

https://ggapp.io/Fungah

i'll prolly be doing the same later tonight, my backlog is massive since i didn't really start tackling it until the pandemic hit: https://ggapp.io/symbolic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops entering hour five of adding every NES game to "Want to Play":

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I got the tude now posted:

I’m worried if I wrote down how many games I’ve beaten it would be like 30 and I would never truly be accepted as a gamer.

let that serve not as a deterrent but as encouragement

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

2. Kirby's Adventure

pretty solid, still holds up imo. makes me want to replay Kirby 64 sometime soon, i played it a lot on the Wii VC back in middle school but i don't think i ever actually beat it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

3. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (final team: Empoleon, Machamp, Alakazam, Togekiss, Houndoom, Roserade)

this is a weird one to talk about since i haven't played a main series Pokemon game since OG Diamond over a decade ago, and even then i didn't play far enough at all for it to leave an impression (probably why it took me longer than it should've to figure out how to reach the summit of Mount Coronet lol). on its own, pretty good and pretty fun. the Grand Underground owns, and the E4/Cynthia were a good challenge. i can see why some people weren't crazy about the style, but i thought the devs did a fine job with translating the original style to 3D. not sure how i feel about changes to streamline stuff like shared EXP and getting told outright which moves would be effective against a Pokemon, but those could've been introduced years ago for all i know. i know there's a lot in terms of post-game, but i think i'm going to opt for unlocking the national dex and saving the rest for the future.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

That Little Demon posted:

i looked at how to edit text in an nes rom for 20 seconds and realized its way more work than its worth

activating the UaN bat signal overnight and waking up to the entire Windows font library installed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FF7 Remake. What the heck happened

they remade FF7

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

4. Warioware: Get It Together!

felt myself burning out with Persona 4 so i'm taking a bit of a break from it and beat something short in the interim. wasn't the biggest fan of the party member mechanic since there's only so much you could do to diversify everyone's playstyles and as a result most were extremely similar to one another, it was still a fun time and scratched a Warioware itch i had ever since i last played one of them back in high school. gonna try out the Wario Cup for a bit and maybe some co-op in the near future.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

5. Yume Nikki

likely i wouldn't have even considered playng YM were it not one of my bf's favorite games ever, nor would i have finished it without him helping me through most of it lol. more of an experience than a game, but it won me over by the end with how surreal and bizarre it is.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HROT

don't think i'll count it in my list since it's being released level by level, but over half of it is out now and i intend to finish it when it's complete so might as well post about it. very solid Quake clone, bosses were usually piss-easy but that's a minor gripe. neat stuff that most/all of the locations are modeled after real places. looking forward to the rest

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Person 2.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

Not allowing myself to eat this ice cream sundae until I bash my dick repeatedly with a claw hammer for 400 hours.

trying to jack off posted:

decided to play sidequest: the game but im far too busy to do any sidequests so i just pumped through the story mode. honestly the game felt a little thin, they really could have built a deeper world there but i guess they buried it under optional lore
7/10

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i got curious about the SML3 commercial and looked it up and lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFczADqrGU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

6. Deus Ex (merge with Helios ending)

still phenomenal. definitely shows its age at times but it absolutely still holds up twenty years later. i'm already thinking about what i want to spec into and what ending i want to get for another run.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

7. Ace Attorney: Justice for All (Good ending)

good-rear end game, definitely holds up as a sequel. can completely understand why Turnabout Big Top is so infamous, and inversely, can understand why Farewell My Turnabout is so revered. onto Trials and Tribulations

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Farewell my turnabout is so unbelievably good.
when he busts out the wine glass is one of the best moments in the series

it's extremely win. i have a hard time deciding between it and Turnabout Goodbyes as my favorite case so far

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

8. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

definitively my favorite out of the OG trilogy. no real weak points from start to finish, and the last case has to be my favorite i've experienced so far, even with the bizarre body pendulum aspect. Godot ftw forever

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you kill Hitler in wolfenstein 2 you get a game over.

in fairness, that happened to the guy who killed him irl

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

heehee posted:

super mario 64 - 0 stars

god drat this game is good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

9. Neon White (100%, all Ace medals earned, all gifts collected)

everything i had hoped for when it got announced like a year and a half ago. extremely fluid parkour-FPS hybrid action, and it became an addiction trying to figure out the best ways to cheese a level and get my time down low enough to earn an Ace medal. i thought the spellcard system was going to be more complex than it was, but it being more straightforward worked in the game's favor so you could really focus on speeding through levels and slaying demons without stopping. only major drawback is that the writing is awful monkeycheese garbage most of the time but unless you're a psychopath attempting to 100% it like me you can skip a good chunk of the dialogue by avoiding doing anything with the gifts or the Free Time segments. overall, i recommend it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

10. Carrion

i mentioned in the Friday Night thread that it seemed like a game where the main draw could wear thin quickly. thankfully that wasn't the case, partly because it's a pretty drat short game (took me about five hours), and partly because the upgrades you accumulate let you strategize to take down enemies in different ways. being a bloodthirsty abomination and tearing through a research facility and its various outposts was pretty fun. it did get a bit annoying toward the end having to backtrack to "deposit biomass," i.e. shed a layer of yourself so you could use certain abilities exclusive to that form. was also weird to never have a map as far as i'm aware? the game's pretty linear though and i got lost or stuck maybe three times max. i don't think i'd spend $20 for it but i was gifted it and had a good time, so i can't complain.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

11. Superliminal

it got trippy by the end and the puzzles were mind-bendy, but it felt a lot more like a tech demo than a $20 game when i beat it in one sitting, and the narrative ending with (paraphrasing) "we can tackle many of our problems by just thinking outside the box" felt like it came right from a kid's cartoon. there's several other modes you unlock once you beat the main game but i don't really feel an urge to check them out.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Congratulations Mamkute *looks at username* what the

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

the looker. lmfao everyone play this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

i keep thinkin about the ship nd deepak chopra audio logs and losing my poo poo lmao

mbt posted:

that and when you enter the library, see the vtmb ghost walk by, then the shotgun comes up

those both made me lol hard, as did getting an achievement for frying my sight through the telescope pointed at the sun

and inversely, had a patented extremely calm freakout during Snek before i realized there was a pattern, when i was meticulously clicking pixel by pixel and only traveling along the edge of the puzzle, only for like the second-to-last E to spawn inside part of the border i made

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mamkute posted:

24. Super Mario Land 2
:)

Mamkute posted:

(No Easy Mode)
:monocle:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

13. Crash Bandicoot 1 (66% completion)

i picked the N-Sane Trilogy back up on a whim and discovered that i left off on like the fourth-to-last level of CB1 for some reason so i just blitzed through the remainder to lay it to rest. can't remember much about the levels before, but what i played was fine, a bit too precise sometimes and led to a few calm gamer freakouts. also doesn't hold any nostalgic value since i only played 2 and 3 as a kid. feel like i should go through wherever i left off on those now just to have the entire trilogy done and dusted.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

14. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

reiterating my IZGC thoughts here but it was alright, frustrating at several points but it had its charm

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

15. Quackshot

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

16. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (59% completion)

the game out of the original trilogy that i have the most nostalgia for by far, and i'm glad to finally beat it after almost like twenty years since i played the original last, albeit in the N-Sane Trilogy this time. preferred it over the first, even with the annoying jetpack levels. bosses were either piss-easy or annoying to hit for no real reason. overall tho, a fun time. onto Warped.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

warped is such a step down... it could have been so good

see compared to 2 i have a weirdly different sense of nostalgia for Warped where i played it so infrequently as a kid that it kind of stands out in my mind as more special than 2, if that makes sense? i doubt i'll like it better now but i am definitely eager to beat it and complete the trifecta.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tmfc posted:

telling on myself here but i've actually never played a single KH game

my family went to Disney World around the time KH2 was getting hyped up and the Innovations Plaza or w/e at EPCOT had a playable demo that i tried, but my 7 year old brain couldn't really grasp a game that wasn't a straight-ahead Mario platformer and i think that planted some kind of subconscious seed since i've never had the urge to check it or any of the other KH games out since

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

17. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (32% completion)

uncertain if it's because i had already beaten Crash 1 & 2 beforehand, but Warped felt way easier, and less nostalgic than i thought it would be. probably the weakest out of the original trio imo, even if the final Cortex battle felt like the best among all three. the time travel gimmick could've been neat if every single one of the non-traditional stages wasn't either a cakewalk or noticeably tedious. oh, well

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

French Accent posted:

Metal: Hellsinger

A bit on the short side but it was intense and had me on the edge of my seat at times. Story was forgettable but I was there for the gameplay and the music, which were pretty good.

i forgot this was coming out until yesterday and i'm fully prepared for the game i would've dreamed up at 16 to whip an insane amount of rear end

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

18. Deep Fear

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

Whoa, I've never heard of this game, it looks badass!

yeah same. ambitious as hell for 1987

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mamkute posted:

32. The Princess and the Frog for the Nintendo Wii (Hard, All Ingredients)

dude