Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[1] Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (PC) 1/6/22
[2] Mass Effect - Legendary Edition (XSX) 1/14/22
[3] Wizards & Warriors (NES) 1/19/22
[4] Space Invaders: Infinity Gene (XSX) 1/21/22
[5] Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition (XSX) 1/23/22
[6] Windjammers 2 - Arcade Mode (XSX) 1/24/22
[7] Axelay (SNES) 1/27/22
[8] Pocky & Rocky 2 (SNES) 2/4/22
[9] Pokémon Legends: Arecus (Switch) 2/8/22
[10] Codename: Viper (NES) 2/13/22
[11] Metroid (NES) 2/14/22
[12] Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB) 2/15/22
[13] Ninja Gaiden 3: The Ancient Ship of Doom (NES) (JP Version) 2/17/22
[14] Tokimeki Memorial (SNES) 3/16/22
[15] Elden Ring (XSX) 3/22/22
[16] Deus Ex (PC) 3/26/22
[17] Kings Field 2 (Kings Field in USA) (PSX) 3/31/22
[18] Bomberman 64 (N64) 4/18/22
[19] Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (GCN) 4/22/22
[20] Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (GCN) 4/23/22
[21] Luigi's Mansion (GCN) 4/25/22
[22] Vampire Survivors (PC) 5/4/22
[23] Dark Cloud (PS2) 5/24/22
[24] Wario World (GCN) 5/31/22
[25] Dwarf Fortress (PC) 6/5/22
[26] Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA) 6/18/22
[27] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shedder's Revenge (PC) 6/18/22
[28] Metal Warriors (SNES) 6/23/22
[29] The Looker (PC) 6/25/22
[30] Snatcher (Sega CD) 6/27/22
[31] Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (XSX) 7/1/22
[32] Metal Gear (NES) 7/2/22
[33] Snake's Revenge (NES) 7/4/22
[34] Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX) 7/7/22
[35] Metal Gear Solid (PSX) 7/7/22
[36] Stuntman: Ignition (XB360) 8/28/22
[37] Sega Ages I Love Mickey Mouse: Fushigi no Oshiro Daibouken (SAT) 9/5/22

That Little Demon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
and reserving this spot, as a backup.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

trying to jack off posted:

smart, you can never have too many

very true

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[1]Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (PC) 1/6/22

one of the absolute best games ever made, and it's free. It's literally a perfect game. 10/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’m trying to decide between just going on numerically and doing 8 or starting the pixel remasters with 1

I'm gonna suggest something a little different and say play FFT if you haven't, it counts

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Nutmeg posted:

never played chrono trigger as well and am debating if i should play that or FF4 next, i think i remember hearing the version released on steam though is AIDS

you should play CT, and you should emulate the snes version

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

trying to jack off posted:

i think it should be played on original hardware through a crt fursonally

there are like... 2 of us on this forum who would do that lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm seeing double, 4 of us!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i hurt my back moving my CRT last time lol :corsair:

think I told this story but we moved over the pandemic and when we got to our house i searched facebook market and found a 32 inch sony wega CRT and when picking it up I caused like... thousands of dollars of damage to my girlfriends car trying to get it in the backseat. She got so pissed off lmfao. I bent the door, scratched the car and the seats got all hosed up, and the guy helping me carry it got a hernia. Overall it was worth it lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

I got the tude now posted:

I’m worried if I wrote down how many games I’ve beaten it would be like 30 and I would never truly be accepted as a gamer.

good news, all the good games still exist

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[2] Mass Effect - Legendary Edition (XSX) 1/14/22

Review:
I beat this game 3 times now over the last 15 years and I still really like it. It's really ambitious for a 2007 game and a reminder for those who liked old Bioware games what we lost. I love the setting of this game, the detailed lore, the little details like descriptions of each planet. I don't mind a lot of the things people hate about this game, like the Mako sections. It's fun landing on random planets and seeing different slices of biome, just driving around. Another thing about this game I love is the music, which fits perfectly to each scene. The characters are mostly boring outside of a few like Wrex, but it's forgivable since you only spend time with them on your ship as you see fit. I also hosed the blue alien, which was awesome in glorious HD.
The problem with this game is the combat, and it leaves a lot to be desired. Frankly, it's terrible. The items you get from drops and chests are all very pointless outside of watching number go up (and even then its hard to tell because I'm pretty sure there is level scaling). Also, the animations in combat are all loving terrible as well. One other thing that really annoyed me is that the sprint makes your military guy tired after 4 seconds.
The negatives don't weigh down how fun it is to be a psychopath in this game, threatening everyone, killing people for the slightest grief they give you, and generally being an insane rear end in a top hat, which more games need to let you do.

8/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Plebian Parasite posted:

ME1 combat is really boring to me right up until you hit endgame and start getting the really stupid weapon mods that give bullets +10000% weapon force and you make a shotgun that hits enemies so hard they clip into the wall

I don't even bother witha ny of that lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
G.Darious ftw also

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[3] Wizards & Warriors (NES) 1/19/22

Review:

I thought I might have rose tinted glasses towards this game because I played it (and it's sequel) a lot as a kid, but it turns out I just think its a great game. The music is loving awesome, the graphics are really nice, especially the animations on Kuros the main character, and I really like exploring the levels. It's nice to have an old game that is difficult but still has unlimited continues and you can challenge yourself to beat levels without dying (good luck). The bosses are okay for this era, and my only serious gripe is it has two stages where you climb up a tower on disappearing platforms and can fall the entire way down to the bottom, which I loving hate lol. Overall I would say this is still worth playing and can be beaten in less than 2 hours. Good game

8/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[4] Space Invaders: Infinity Gene (XSX) 1/21/22

Review:

A Space Invaders game with an evolution premise. This game is really strange and I will explain it using the pros and cons system

+ Amazing art style. It has really unique and fun ways of playing with perspective and as you and your ship evolve the stages do as well, including going from the basic rear end original Space Invaders into a sort of 3D perspective like looking down a fast moving tunnel. The visuals are trippy and there are lots of flashing lights to gently caress with my stupid brain

+ Incredible music

+ Lots of unlockables like weapons/ships and bonus levels and new music

+ The weapons all feel unique and learning them all and their quirks with powerups takes time

+ The evolution theme fits very well. Every stage is evolving as you grow new powers so do the enemies. Eventually enemies start acting like viruses and stealing powerups and mutating on the screen if they get them before you. It's very cool to see in action.

Cons:

- This is a big one. The game would have been a classic BBG 9/10 before this. The game RUINS the loving flow of the game by stopping you after one stage to calculate a score on a black screen and it takes FOREVER. There is no "Continuous" mode where each stage flows into the next. It absolutely ruins what could have been a near masterpiece in its genre. I have no idea why they did this, but it sucks absolute loving rear end. Christ.

7/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Plebian Parasite posted:

Wizards and Warriors

good poo poo

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

a Loving Dog posted:

Mass effect 1

nice

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[5] Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition (XSX) 1/23/22

Review:

A superior sequel in nearly every way. The game has much better combat, is faster paced, and has a ton of content (the DLC is for the most part awesome as well). I did 100% of this game and I loved every minute of it.

Pros:
+ Much better combat than ME1
+ Loved all the character backgrounds and loyalty quests
+ The game (and series) feels really ambitous for the 360 era, you don't see that much anymore
+ The new cast is for the most part, great, outside of the two DLC characters who really only have a flavor mission each and then don't speak the rest of the game
+ The ending is awesome, it reminds me heavily of FF6
+ As a fan of the expanse, you can tell the authors of those books and show were influenced by this game
+ Miranda Big Boobs Huge rear end

Cons:
- Loses some of the mystery from ME1, including the small moments of being alone on a planet driving around
- The minigames get very annoying after awhile
- While I appreciaited visiting old places from ME1, it felt small in scope (The citadel)

9/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Wormskull posted:

It’s well-textured, sure,

It fills up the entire screen for any conversation with her

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

EmmyOk posted:

I only played 2 and tried to gently caress Miranda but right on the cusp of it I disagreed with her in an argument with Jack and she wouldn’t forgive me. I eventually got max paragon points which lets you convince her to forgive you. But then in the loving section my Shepard just went to his bedroom and sadly pawed a picture of blue girl from 1

lmfao sorry dude, I hosed the blue alien, and had to put her photo face down while I buttfucked miranda in 2, and yep, you guessed it, I'm likely to gently caress the blue alien in 3 again *need to put the photo back up like nothing happened*

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GorfZaplen posted:

Hell yeah. It's my favorite ME and I'd even say the best Bioware game

I think I agree, it's their last good game too lol (gently caress dragon age, and whatever that other game was)

Also I'm playing ME3 and instantly its like its made by a company that didn't make ME1 and 2 and ignores a ton of your choices for some reason?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Kongming posted:

I played through ME1 and 2 as Renegade and I ended up doing most of ME3 Paragon just because Renegade gets too psycho in 3 for me. In the first two games being a Renegade meant punching news reporters or pushing a merc out of a window or shooting a monologuing bad guy instead of listening to his bullshit, but in ME3 being a Renegade means you kill your friends. Like if you do the Renegade option in 3 for the Krogan planet, you kill two former squadmates and essentially genocide the Krogan. It was too much of a shift.

Oh and the space samurai guy was incredibly stupid and they tried to make him your nemesis.

in ME2 as renegade you genocide half a million Boterians because you thought spending 5 seconds to warn them you are blowing up a Relay was too much time to waste

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I also said gently caress the krogan since ME1, no cure for genophage, helped Moridon gently caress them up even more lol...

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I actually liked how janky and broken the combat was in the first ME. The Gears-lite shooting system in 2/3 was kinda bland and made soldier and infiltrator boring.

I can understand that, but, as a soldier the combat from 1 to 2 is such an improvement

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
posting this here, since I just beat ME2 and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcl8jkbLXM

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[6] Windjammers 2 - Arcade Mode (XSX) 1/24/22

Review:

A masterpiece. The modern day Virtua Tennis from Dreamcast. I only played the original Windjammers way back but never got into it the way I did with this one. It's an amazing game, albeit barebones (no lobbies, wtf?). However I kicked American McGay and Skeezys rear end (lumpy was actually challenging) and I beat arcade mode so I'm considering this one "beat" for now. I'm always going to be down to play this though. My one complaint that makes this not a 10/10 is the no lobbies, which is seriously bullshit. Disc Man FTW.

9/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
while seeing what games I beat in 2015 from the old threads, I found the video I was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVUsmCGwPU lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mysterious loyall X posted:

So does the tin follin intro to wheel of fortune or w/e but that diesnt mean u should play that either

Barry "God" Leitch did the music for that, thats why

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mycophobia posted:

you know what would be fun. like a twitch plays nes wheel of fortune where you can enter a raffle as a viewer to become a contestant and control the game via chat commands. and just leave it running for like 24 hours once a week. and the rom could be hacked to plug in new puzzles every week. i thought about all this in the shower just now

okay, you program it all to do that and i'll host it on twitch and make the website

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
i looked at how to edit text in an nes rom for 20 seconds and realized its way more work than its worth

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[7] Axelay (SNES) 1/27/22

Review:

This game is 50% good and 50% bad.

The Good:
- Music
- Spritework
- Neat weapons (some)

The Bad:
- Most weapons are worthless
- Bad mode 7 stages
- Bullets that are hard to see

One of the weaker Konami offerings from the 16bit era if I'm being honest. They were right to fire these dudes so they went on to make treasure, who are a 50/50 company themselves.

5/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

Axelay. Easy, 6 continues. I don't want to hear it.

too loving bad, you WILL hear it, although I guess you DO get a trophy, I'm not happy about it

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[8] Pocky & Rocky 2 (SNES) 2/4/22

Review:
I never played either of these games before and that is a shame. This game is made to be played 2P and sadly I only could play it by myself. I love the levels, the ramping up of difficulty and the music. It reminds me a lot of Gun.Smoke, which is one of my favorite games ever. The weak parts honestly are the shmup stages because it gets rid of the unique things like the shop and branching levels. gently caress the last boss.

8/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
that game looked really good on 360 at the time, I remember being impressed. I never revisted it

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[9] Pokémon Legends: Arecus (Switch) 2/8/22

Review:
I haven't enjoyed a Pokémon game on this level since I played the originals in 1998 as a kid, and I've played a lot of them. Switching to an openish (think big areas but still loaded into, you can't seamlessly go from area to area or from town to area) design was exactly what this series needed. I beat the game (Saw the true ending, full dex) at 84 hours, and its rare I put that much time into a game nowadays, the last one being DQ11. This game does share a lot of similarities to DQ11 such as when you see the credits the first time, the game is like half over. The music is fantastic, especially the subtle changes in the towns music as the game progresses. The graphics are whatever for switch, not super great, not terrible.
Seeing Pokémon running around in the world, the way combat seamlessly enacts instead of loading up a battle, and catching Pokémon has never been more fun. This game seriously got it perfect on the first try. I didn't put this game down at all once I started, it was that great.
The only thing I can say in the negative is I wish it had more than 1 town, even though it was fun seeing the town gradually get built up and add new shops and buildings as you use Pokémon more and more for work in town. To add to the first point, I wish it had a true open world feel ala BOTW or other games where you can go from area to area without loading or having to look at a map. These are the only two things I would change and I will play the next entry in this series of Pokémon as soon as it releases (I hope they do another one).
Overall, this is probably the most fun switch game I have played, although I need to play SMT5 which I expect to be as good or better than this since I'm a huge fan of that series. I recommend anyone who has even a vague interest in Pokémon play this game, it's the best one they have ever done since the OGs.

9.5/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[10] Codename: Viper (NES) 2/13/22

Review:
Not very good, but not the worst game I've ever played on the NES. I really don't have much to say. I'm glad I beat it for gameclub, but I would never play it again lol

5/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[11] Metroid (NES) 2/14/22

Review:
Started playing this coming off of Codename: Viper and just sat down and beat it in one sitting. Confession time, the only Metroid I ever beat was Zero Mission on GBA back in high school. I played most Metroid games but they never really grabbed me before. Not as a kid, and not when I tried as an adult. I decided "why not" here and used a map to complete the game because I wasn't going to do hand drawn maps myself, gently caress that. This game is actually really great and surprisingly not that long. Everything holds up surprisingly well for 1986. The best part of all is the music and sound effects, it works so well. The controls are tight (for NES) and I love all the power-ups. I beat mother brain with like 16 HP left and no E tanks left, and it was a rush. The downsides of this game are 1) No map in game, so you have to consult like Nintendo Power or whatever, and 2) Refilling your HP and missiles is a drag. I had to gently caress around in the last area because I was getting hosed by metroids constantly.

If you never beat this (like me) I recommend playing this and seeing where it all started.

8/10

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

there's a quality of life ROM hack called Metroid + Saving that replaces the PW system with save files (which i think were in the FDS version) and a mini-map that you can access by pressing select but that defeats some of the challenge imo

i grew up playing super metroid so that'll always be my favorite of the series.

also, this:

am2r is probably the most polished nintendo fangame i've ever played

I get the challenge aspect of not having a map, but gently caress trying to shoot and bomb every single block in every single room, I would have preferred the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[12] Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB) 2/15/22

Review:
Decided to play this one as well having never played it. It's literally better than the first Metroid in nearly every way. Samus has a good sprite now and doesn't look like, whatever the hell is going on there in Metroid 1. The game is super impressive for a gameboy game and I had a blast. I started playing it, and didn't stop until I finished it. The music is once again excellent and this time the game is broken up into stages or levels, more linear design where you are hunting down metroids until you get to the queen. The game controls really well, much better than the NES one. You can now duck and shoot which was a game changer. Honestly I am really impressed and sad I never played this as a kid, because I would have loved it.
The only flaws in my opinion are once again a map would have been nice instead of a pause screen, and going into the last area it would have been nice to know I would need an ice beam again lol. I only had to look at a map a few times but everything else I was able to find naturally by exploring. Another downside is not much variety in enemies. Every jobber enemy is just like 1 hit kill and they aren't really a threat, and every metroid is sort of a mini boss. The only real boss is the last boss, who is a pushover once you know how to stun her. The game is also pretty drat easy but I get that. Overall, it's a great game and worth playing today still.

8.5/10

That Little Demon fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 15, 2022