Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

HolePisser1982 posted:

i will play Elden Ring to completion, repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Wizards and Warriors. The combat's unfair sometimes, it's got insanely repetitive music and a lame final boss like Arrhythmia said, and the third level has a part where you need to have picked up the right item earlier or it's practically impossible to continue. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really need to play every NES game or something

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Pocky & Rocky 2

Seemed like it had a lower budget than the original. The art, especially the background art, didn't have as much depth, variety and theming. The addition of partners was kind of cool, but they traded that for the slide move which added a lot more to combat than having a high damage attack on cooldown does. There are some light RPG elements now with shops, partner unlocks and branching paths, but I only noticed one branching path in the whole game. It's not bad but if you were only gonna play one I'd recommend the first

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Code Name: Viper. This game is full of unfair deaths. After each one you have to traverse up to half of the level to get back to where you were. On the way, most hazards can kill you in one hit and require you to wait to get past them, when you're in a hurry because all you want to do is try the part you had trouble with again. It's like one of those romhacks designed to frustrate you. I love hard, punishing games but I wouldn't recommend this.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Super Mario RPG. I always wanted to play this because it's the first Mario RPG and it's got the cool art style with the weird 3D prerendered sprites. The combat is simplistic but the game stays engaging with all the minigames it throws in. The characters are funny and lovable, especially Mario, who's a silent protagonist but expresses himself through all these endearing animations. I'd recommend it

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

ArfJason posted:

Ninja gaiden 3

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom

US Version. :dukedog:

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Cuphead DLC. It was just as good as the base game, I liked the mystery of the relic side quest, and the relic and Ms. Chalice added some replayability. The only bad part is it reminds me of how much I hate the cartoon

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Metal Gear MSX. It was a huge slog. The keycard juggling, the backtracking, the wall-punching, the bosses that have one specific thing you have to do 20 times. It's probably intentionally designed that way but it's really aggravating, especially on a deadline

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

I enjoyed this a lot more than the first one. It felt like a MGS game in 2D and I finally understand where a bunch of motifs in the series started. Would recommend to anyone who likes MGS and still hasn't played it

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Bassin's Black Bass with Hank Parker

Really hard game, partially because of how obscure everything is. Even after reading the manual and doing the tutorial I would've had no chance without a guide. The feedback compresses so many factors into success or failure that it's hard to tell what you're doing right and wrong. Especially since there are 16 lures and no apparent use for more than half of them. I was so desperate for info I watched a guy play Sūpā Burakku Basu 2 on Japanese Youtube

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
I don't think this should have had limited continues. Too much of the gameplay is trial and error learning boss patterns or how to avoid hazards, so it shouldn't punish experimentation with the prospect of having to play the entire game over again. But maybe it wouldn't have been as big of a deal without RetroArch lag

Quackshot
More relaxed experience, in part because they got rid of limited continues. Although that does sometimes incentivize you to get a game over so you can start a stage with more lives

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Deep Fear

It sucks that the game wasn't very good because being trapped in a claustrophobic underwater base where you might asphyxiate and monsters get stronger in hypoxic conditions is a cool horror idea. Most of its problems would be fixed by default if it were made today, like the long loading times, bad controls and fixed camera

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Nightshade Part 1: The Claws of Sutekh

Cool idea with goofy 90s writing but it needed infinite continues and better controls

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Resident Evil: Dead Aim

Cool concept of mixing survival horror with light gun shooting. But there's some tension between them in the awkward controls and the fact that your limited ammo and health incentivize you to run past enemies instead of experiencing the shooting gameplay. The dodge mechanic also felt off, like there wasn't enough indication of when to push the button and it was harder to dodge regular zombies than special enemies

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gracious/Glorious are really annoying

For a second I thought you meant as words to type in TotD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Fungah! posted:

wario land 4, normal. all cds, all treasures, kissed by a short haired princess.