Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i wont update this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the second quest is stupid

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

castlevania 2 is okay. doesn't hold a candle to real bad games like 900 out of 905 official nes games, or truely awful games such as halo infinite, dark souls 3, sony game xyz, open world 3rd person aaa games, etc.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Lode Runner
this was a pretty cool puzzle game in the vein of Wrecking Crew. gold is scattered throughout the level, as are enemy guards. you can move, climb ladders, climb horizontally along ropes, and eliminate a brick block that is immediately underneath you; they reappear after a few seconds. you can fall as far as you want. you lose if the guards get you, if your brick reappears in a space that you're inside, or if you get stuck in an area that you can't escape from (this is easy to do, on purpose). sometimes there are invisible holes that both you and guards will fall through if you try to walk on them (this is surprisingly not as annoying as it sounds most of the time). if the guards end up in a brick as its reappearing, they respawn, but they can also easily get stuck. there's a lot to do with those basic concepts! personally, i don't think there is 150 levels of it, though, so i'm glad i played the NES port, which only has 50 levels. that felt just about right. when you beat the game, it just loops back to the beginning - no ending. i was curious if there was supposed to be a story, so i read the instruction booklet - apparently you are supposed to be a galactic rebel stealing unfair food taxes back from the vaults of an evil empire, lol.

interestingly, there's a level editor, which i think would have been pretty revolutionary at the time. it feels pretty clunky now, and the main game feels like it explored most of the interesting things that you can do with the mechanics, with more screen room than the level editor has. still, it's a very early example of letting players make their own content, and probably the most impressive thing about the game.

some complaints: often the puzzle aspect is figuring out how to dig into a set of bricks to get some gold without locking yourself in, which is fine, but on a few levels, the solution for getting out is falling through an invisible hole. that sucks. the difficulty curve on this is also weird. there are levels in the teens and 20s that are middle-of-wrecking-crew hard, but most of the levels after 40 just involve moving quickly to capture the guards, and the puzzles sort of start to fizzle out. also, in wrecking crew, you could pause and pan over the screen to plan. while it's not as necessary in lode runner, there are levels where it would have helped (i believe this is unique to the NES port, as you can see the full screen on the apple 2 version).

next up: Raid on Bungeling Bay, which sounds like it was designed purely to give imps an opportunity to make fun of its name.

raid on bungling bay was the first famicom game to do hoizontal and vertical scrolling at the same time in 1984 or w/e. for some reason they hadn't thot of it yet. also will wright designed it and him dicking around with the map editor toolset maxis made was what inspired simcity. farewell

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

afterb you play 2 do not play 3, its a rockstar cover shooter with unskippable cutscenes

an actual goodgame from the greatest story tellers in any medium working today and really at any point in human history you mean?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

To be fair diabolical now on tim epics epic game stire is all you need. Plus a.smattering of halo or overwatcj now and then if you want to subject yourselfnto this toxic nuboomer commumities

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Kongming posted:

It makes sense if you side with Dagda as you're trying to create a new world so you need to dethrone God. But yeah it makes no sense if you get the "power of friendship" ending.

dagda is a mincing queen and doesn't even have big tits like my various in game gfs, maya, nekomata, etc. oh poo poo and mfin cleopatra

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

i wish i had played this version. even the normal song is catchy though, lol.

Spelunker
while this metroidvania was designed for the previous generation of consoles, it was at the tail end during the crash, so the NES version is perhaps the most well-known. apparently this is infamous for its poor controls, and don't get me wrong, they're bad, but i think it's just the game's complicated development cycle make it a second generation game on a third generation console. more than anything else, this feels like playing Pitfall, and it controls about how Pitfall did. that just feels terrible because it's on a console with games that control more like Super Mario Bros. you can only fall a couple of pixels, and the slightest tap when you're climbing a rope makes your guy climb off of it into thin air. areas like this make you break out into a cold sweat:

that's basically the major problem: the jumping requires very precise inputs. it's intentional that it's hard, but it's naturally pretty frustrating. but it's cool! you have a limited power supply that ticks down as you explore, and there are batteries that recover it at set points in the cave. other things you can collect are treasures, keys, bombs and flares. treasures give you points. keys (there are blue and red) unlock doors of their color, and bombs can blow up boulders that block your path. there are only two enemies in the game: a bat and a ghost. you can temporarily scare the bat away with a flare, and you can bust the ghost at the cost of some of your power supply. they're not nearly as much of a threat as falling off a ladder or missing your jump by a pixel. the game has checkpoints where you recover your power. it's a pretty good game if you think of it as an atari game with upscaled graphics rather than a nintendo game.

full disclosure, the game puts you back in the same cave but ups the difficulty something like six times, but i only played through the first cycle. that felt like enough, i got a victory screen:

spelunker had an arcade port done by irem in 1985 during the weird post loderunner borderbund game boom in japan. its still pretty popular in japan and square released a lovely updated on switch in like 2018. goodbye.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://ggapp.io/dinosaurjerk add me

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

spelunker party on switch is very good

i haven't actually played it and called it lovely because square expects me to pay 30 dollars. die!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i liked the robot club. i hated the motorcycle game tho.

just set the difficulty to easy and u can win easy :D :D i guess youll still need to do a couple grind battles for parts tho

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i beat coryoon: child of dragon. its a cutsey pc engine stg where you are a dragon who has to collect fruit. its really easy and takes like an hour to beat. a pair of evil hands has turned the sexy anime princess into a chibi version of herself. can coryoon save the princess form the worst anime trend of the early 90s and return her to normal size, so he can go back to nestling himself between her anime boobs? gird your yourself in giant giant pineapples, bust out your moms credit card, head to ebay, spend 600+ dollars on a hucard and see if you have what it takes to win today.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/coryoon/ check it out its cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mycophobia posted:

this game is cool

Yeah i played it and air zonk a long time ago on a pirated version of magic engine before there were good free pce emus. The cd air zonk i never liked as much and since it goes on eBay for a lowly 200 dollars instead of 900 dollars lile coryoon and thenoriginal air zonk i guess im not the only person whom felts that way

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

darius gaiden is a lot better than every gradius game

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

instead of playing gradius play the gradius - like game form the guy who mad maldita castilla. hydorah or super hydorah or w/e

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

instead of playing gradius play the sexy gradius - like game from the creators of gradius: otomedius excellent

excuse me. otomedius is a distinct series fromgradius

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ikarugas okay but its the game that people who never play shumps say is the best shmup ever alongnwoth radiant silvergun. These arent even treasures vest shumps (gradius v). AndIf these people had ANYBbrains at all and branched out even the TINIEST bit in the stg genre theyd easily discover the "holy tromity" of shmups: jets n guns, raptor.call of the shadows and tyrian 2000 which EASILY surpass ikaruga

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

One thingikaruga got right was making the hole game an ugly brown mess 5 years before ps3 and 360 games were invented. Triple edit: should be a holy quadronity since un sqadron (snes ver only) is easily the equal of jets n guns but not raptor

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Unsighted was good. I wasnt paying attention and let the fairy doe adter a cutscenes roght toward the end. Oh well.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

DUSK
Death Wish 1.7 (Blood: Fresh Supply)

Maybe ill play Seth wish finally since it works in fresh supply

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

English Country Tune (100%): i first "finished" this like 6 years ago, but i had 2 puzzles left to truly complete the game. I would try them randomly every now and then over the years, and early this year i completed one of them, but the final one, from the HALF PLANTED world, has stumped me over and over no matter how many times ive tried. today i finally, *finally*, got this motherfucker done.

absolutely fantastic puzzle game, and no wonder the guy would eventually go on to make stephens sausage roll

that game got to hard for me much like stephens sausage roll

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Winter games is an epyx joint before they released everyines favorites summer games and california games. I never like kinamis track and field game but at least those games you can intuitively slap your famicom or arcade buttons and get somewhere. The eppx games all have like 20 page manuals that are more dense than computer flightsims from the same time

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lunar pool is pretty chill to play for 20 minutes or w/e

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

blaster master zero 2. really good game except for the long eve section at the end, i'll need to get 3 when it goes on sale

i only played the first one which was pretty good. i saw demonius x stream the 3rd one and he said he could fap to several of the female characters so maybe ill get around to 2 and 3 to see what all the hubub is about

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

welcome posted:

Wizards & Warriors (NES)

I think I used four continues? I wish I'd known about the feather in level 2 back in the day so I could've beat it then, instead of dying 300 times in level 3 waiting for a blue potion to spawn. Now I want to try Ironsword again but I know I won't beat it.

Iribswird is stilll miserable

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

So does the tin follin intro to wheel of fortune or w/e but that diesnt mean u should play that either

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

the snes wheel of fortune theme always cracked me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-52QjeZdag

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

seasonal affective disorder wheel of fortune theme song

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

someone bought me katana zero in steam in december so i played it on normal AND hard mode. fun game. i haad already beaten it on switch 2 or 3 years ago but it was way easier useing the power of the xbox one z elite 4 gamepad instead of nintendos poo poo. thanks.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Zanac is cool. Compile is like the only good console / pc shmup dev alomg with technosoft who did the thunderforce games. Eat poo poo raptor/tyrain, trasure, etc tards

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Axelay. Easy, 6 continues. I don't want to hear it.

good job. the game is terrible so really making it as painless as possible is the way to go.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Tembo the Badass Elephant - 5 hours

This game is a lovely platformer that you die from it being so tedious. Avoid at all costs.

I think I got it from a free humble bundle bit havent played it. A million ywars ago

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

They should rebrand him as the based/cusp stumping elephamt

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

They put in a bunch of movement tech that a grown man could enjoy but every level and boss is keep the kid quiet tier tedious trash that makes you impatient.

i'm imaging the top nep hat speedrunner and gotta be meat lovers crew playing plimpis the badass elephant in an alternate timeline cool gdq in my mind palace and its frickin g EPIC for the win

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

absolutely anything posted:

drill dozer was cool they should make another onea those

they should make more stupid looking pokemon that look like digimon rejects forever

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

I hate the term nintendo hard so much cause its an excuse for very retarded bullshit in old games lol and most modern games that market themselves as "RELIVE THE DIFFICULTY OF OLD GAMES" do things a lot differently ie: super meat boy had very short levels so itd be like having checkpoints everywhere and infinite lives

it should be either dark souls hard or mike matteis cock hard

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i beat sifu the NUMBER one game of the year so far as rated by darksydephil. i give SeaFood a 4 out of 5.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

absolutely anything posted:

i had to save before talking to any npc because it was basically a 50/50 on whether or not it would crash. there were a couple of times i forgot and lost like an hour of progress for daring to check the shop. if i was extra lucky the only thing it would do is this

like honestly i think the switch version should be actually illegal to sell. the nicest thing you can say about it is that it's technically beatable

Seethe as we like to say on the over-50.qanon and freedom convoy supporters of ranchp cucamonga facebook grou

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

“Finished” inside of John Romero’s of age, alive, consentual mom’s of age pussy last night.

Nice