Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/powerlanguish/status/1488263944309731329

New York Times bought Wordle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It was nice while it lasted. :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who knew Bungie would be the second most significant gaming acquisition today

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

first activision and now this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh well that was fun while it lasted

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As long as they don’t run ads it’ll be ok

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well they're gonna monetize it somehow

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you created worldle how much do you sell for

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

The highest one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

The reported sum is said to be in the low seven figures, so a pretty decent payday for something you did in your spare time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arzaac posted:

Well they're gonna monetize it somehow

It'll be the same hard paywall system as their other daily puzzle apps like the NYT Crossword which I think is $80 a year.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d be able to live in comfort with three million so just over that is what’s I’d sell for

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
that was fast

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

"The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Im glad I never figured out what wordle was

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Jay Rust posted:

As long as they don’t run ads it’ll be ok

Before you enjoy our free wordle of the day, would you take a moment to consider subscribing to save independent journalism?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I love Mastermind, probably my favorite boardgame as a child

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm not entirely convinced they'll get their money back from it, Wordle seems more like a passing fad imo, and of course corporations are great at running things into the ground

Good for Josh though, he's getting a hell of a payday for a pretty minimal investment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arzaac posted:

I'm not entirely convinced they'll get their money back from it, Wordle seems more like a passing fad imo, and of course corporations are great at running things into the ground

They'll add it to their stable of subscriber brain games, they seem to have the audience for it

quote:

Good for Josh though, he's getting a hell of a payday for a pretty minimal investment

Yeah, wordle is probably a lot to deal with mentally now and he gets to escape all that and get paid a lot to do it. If only we could all be so lucky

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i figure this is just going to go along with the NYT's daily puzzles like their crosswords or whatever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

They'll add it to their stable of subscriber brain games, they seem to have the audience for it

Yeah, wordle is probably a lot to deal with mentally now and he gets to escape all that and get paid a lot to do it. If only we could all be so lucky

not to like downplay this but man wasnt it mostly automated? like i guess maybe if his account got dogpiled because the solution one day was "OZONE"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
there's an absolute shitload of bootleg wordle apps on the play store, if they gate it off people will just go there

also, I think I read that while that guy did name it wordle, that kind of word puzzle has actually existed for a long time. anyone know if that is true?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Once they add a paywall to Wordle, it'll plummet. The main thing that made Wordle so popular was that it was free and easy to share your results.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Play posted:

there's an absolute shitload of bootleg wordle apps on the play store, if they gate it off people will just go there

also, I think I read that while that guy did name it wordle, that kind of word puzzle has actually existed for a long time. anyone know if that is true?

It was literally a game show in the 80s and the basic idea existed a while before that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was literally a game show in the 80s and the basic idea existed a while before that

well there you go. pretty sweet payday for a guy who just copied an old word puzzle format and gave it a new name

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rarity posted:

Oh well that was fun while it lasted

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

not to like downplay this but man wasnt it mostly automated? like i guess maybe if his account got dogpiled because the solution one day was "OZONE"

It was but it was a huge part of the Discourse and it's gotta be weird seeing your little project everywhere. Especially if he had any kind of social media presence, he doesn't seem to have ever wanted to be The Wordle Guy permanently and forever

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah RIP wordle. no interesting in visiting the new york times. i dont give a gently caress that they make picante sauce or whatever up there.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i heard one of them had like a really big wheel you could spin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know what wordle is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kerrzhe posted:

i heard one of them had like a really big wheel you could spin

specifically it was Lingo, there were a few revivals since the 80s one, but yeah lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3mqsyOTnk

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Play posted:

the game is just mastermind but with letters and the restriction that those letters form real words. Actual mastermind uses four colors as the code, and there's no restriction on possible codes. Mastermind dates back to 1970

Wikipedia suggests that mastermind itself is based on an older game called Bulls and Cows which is around a century old

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://mobile.twitter.com/chris_dring/status/1488219307188363264

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sony acquires Something Awful!! 😳😳😳

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maybe they could acquire a game ha ha ha

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Sony acquires From Software solely to make Echo Night 4

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

the game is just mastermind but with letters and the restriction that those letters form real words. Actual mastermind uses four colors as the code, and there's no restriction on possible codes. Mastermind dates back to 1970

Wikipedia suggests that mastermind itself is based on an older game called Bulls and Cows which is around a century old

Interesting!

ngl I like the sound of Bulls and Cows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulls_and_Cows

Actually it is very similar to mastermind, it's a numeric code though and has nothing to do with vocabulary at all. So I guess the 'innovation' that led to wordly was making all of your entries and all of your answers have to be real words. Also while it does tell you how many number are right and in correct and how many right but in incorrect position, it doesn't tell you which numbers those are so you have to trial and error your way to finding it.

Would be kind of a fun, simple game actually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hold on guys, I'm going to make Wordly here and we'll be good and oop got bought by USA Today, sorry folks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Microsoft owns Crash Bandicoot
Sony owns Bungie

Something's fucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Not a big fan of all these companies owned by only two studios. Man I wish Nintendo would have bought Rare back in the 90's, at least they were only working on stuff for Nintendo