Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Look at all you rubes sleeping on Avenue 5. Season 2 is currently filming. I hope the airlock makes a return. I don't know how many times I rewatched that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Avenue 5 is great, and was shockingly prescient, but I do hope season 2 has a bit of a higher laugh-per-minute ratio. If Veep is like The Thick of It with the laugh dial cranked down a couple notches, Avenue 5 is down a couple additional notches. It's still incredibly charming and very funny when there are laugh lines, I just wish it it were a bit zippier with the comedy.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Servant kicks rear end

Agreed. I just hope they expand the world building some in season 3.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 3, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Avenue 5 is such a weird one for me because I expected one thing, got something completely different, and it was smattered with the kind of comedy that I usually hate: Dumb people making dumb decisions and the dumb consequences.

But I still watched every episode because the highs on that show were incredibly high. I hope the second season feels different because the vibe of the first still left me feeling more gross than entertained.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always believed in Armando, and it’s never steered me wrong.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just found out the "FX on Hulu" branding is going away, thank the lord. It was too much effort to tell people that no, it's not on FX, despite the name.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think calling the content just 'FX' is going to help that though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of rebranding, HBO Max has removed the "Crunchyroll" name but as far as I can tell they still have the same content. Really though the whole Crunchyroll on HBO Max thing was never very well implemented. I think the entire time it was running they added like 3-4 shows altogether.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They put Crunchyroll on HBO? When? Why?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They put a couple of shows on there and called it the "Crunchyroll Collection." I have no idea why.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

They put Crunchyroll on HBO? When? Why?

When HBO Max launched it was one of the hubs. It was mostly like first season of shows and then they did a couple of additions where they did weekly drops of the dubbed versions of JJK and To Your Eternity.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Either way, the hub is gone since Sony now owns Crunchyroll.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speaking of which, if Sony's gonna monopolize anime, they could at least hurry up with that combination Crunchyroll/Funimation service they've mentioned is in the works

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How To with John Wilson S2 is all up on Max now and I implore everyone to watch it. I love that weird little show so much :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve only ever seen the first episode of John Wilson, so everyone can be envious that I have 19 or whatever to watch still.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Avenue 5 was excellent -- I kind of love that it's a super plotty horror show, but one that did not advertise either of those facts anywhere. The slow, queasy realisation that the show was actually a completely different genre to what the trailers had suggested, and the constant tease of whether it was going to go there, and then just how far the show would be willing to push the horror of the scenario... Look, I really, really loved it.

Though all that teasing had the side effect of making it harder to advertise the show, and it seems like people who went to it looking for a sitcom walked away after one episode feeling weirdly uncomfortable (and the sci-fi fans who don't have a sense of humour couldn't just straight HATED the show). I'm not just keen for the second season, but I'm kinda interested in seeing how HBO chooses to advertise it.

loving love it, so eager for more show.

Hughmoris posted:

Look at all you rubes sleeping on Avenue 5. Season 2 is currently filming. I hope the airlock makes a return. I don't know how many times I rewatched that scene.

It's done filming!

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Avenue 5 is great, and was shockingly prescient, but I do hope season 2 has a bit of a higher laugh-per-minute ratio. If Veep is like The Thick of It with the laugh dial cranked down a couple notches, Avenue 5 is down a couple additional notches. It's still incredibly charming and very funny when there are laugh lines, I just wish it it were a bit zippier with the comedy.

I though Avenue 5 was way funnier than Veep. Like, orders of magnitude.

Different strokes, I guess.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

watching the new sex and the city since my gf watched the original and Lol. and Lmao. She just wants to see some gossiping ladies go shopping and instead getting episode after episode of deranged content. It’s like Milhouse waiting to get to the fireworks factory.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I'm looking forward to more Barry. I watched it for the first time back in October and absolutely loved it. Also looking forward to Mayans season 4, since it has been so much better since Sutter got canned, and if I remember right Chucky is also supposed to come back this year, so that's gonna be awesome too. What I'm looking forward to most at the moment is probably the final season of Animal Kingdom. Started this show just before the second season and have absolutely loved it ever since.

I'm also gonna make myself sit down and watch What We Do in the Shadows. I loved the movie when I first saw it back in 2015, but for whatever reason I just haven't felt like starting the show yet.

Oh, and if Warrior comes back, that would be a highlight too, but last I checked wasn't it supposed to be 2023? I'd be more than happy to be wrong about that though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

Maybe this will be good? A Netflix dark comedy starring Kristen Bell. Comes out this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vik0kdPIxF8

This better not be more than 6-8 episodes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve only ever seen the first episode of John Wilson, so everyone can be envious that I have 19 or whatever to watch still.

11, :cry:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of things to look forward to, unsure if it will be 2022 or 2023 but I'm look forward to the Park Chan Wook directed, Robert Downey Jr. starring, A24 produced, HBO adaptation of The Sympathizer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s an unbelievably brilliant show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

watching the new sex and the city since my gf watched the original and Lol. and Lmao. She just wants to see some gossiping ladies go shopping and instead getting episode after episode of deranged content. It’s like Milhouse waiting to get to the fireworks factory.

HBO should sell a Woke Moments button.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I though Avenue 5 was way funnier than Veep. Like, orders of magnitude.

Different strokes, I guess.

Veep and The Good Place are both shows I want to like due to the idea and people involved but don't actually find that funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I just remembered that we should be getting this year is a new season of Kids in the Hall which finished filming last fall.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Rumor is Sarah Jessica Parker blames herself for Chris Noth; because of that, the second season of the reboot is "in doubt."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Looten Plunder posted:

This better not be more than 6-8 episodes

Why?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Netflix bloat worry, probably

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm nearing the end of Midnight Mass. I really like the characters and the writing, but the Vampire plot is really not that interesting, seems like a waste to go with something so generic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Rumor is Sarah Jessica Parker blames herself for Chris Noth; because of that, the second season of the reboot is "in doubt."
Like she knew and brushed it off or she drugged him and used voodoo to force him to grope people?

That reboot is terrible and it's a convenient excuse to can all that terrible poo poo anyway and lock that loving series away in a nuclear waste dump.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I clicked some article years ago and as a consequence I now get occasional updates of people from Sex in the City making GBS threads on the mean main character from sex in the city. I can tell there's a new sex in the city whenever I get an uptick in articles ragging on sjp. I watched the original one and hate it but it was never meant for me so what do I know besides what not to do if I'm ever a horny single woman living in way too big of a city. Only got pushed one article about Noth so I guess ragging on sjp is more click-effective.

Brock Samson posted:

Joe Gatto announces he is leaving Impractical Jokers https://www.instagram.com/p/CYLBnVXgrmn/

Covid was the first nail in the coffin for Jokers, this may be the last.

Gonna be weird as hell if they do a season without him. They already got more than 6 seasons and a movie so I'm sure they'll be relieved to step away in a sense.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

That story should be a two hour movie. How many episodes are we going to have to watch her unravelling, seeing things and no one believing her?

I feel like Netflix bloat has increased a bunch lately with Apple TV making waves now. There are so many things I see interesting previews for only to find out they're going to be a full TV show which the premise/story doesn't deserve.

Recent examples: The Paul Rudd/Will Ferrell show and the "Joseph Gordon Levitt being a sad-sack" show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

the "Joseph Gordon Levitt being a sad-sack" show.

Mr Corman? That was really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Corman started off iffy but the last half of the season was great

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Oasx posted:

I'm nearing the end of Midnight Mass. I really like the characters and the writing, but the Vampire plot is really not that interesting, seems like a waste to go with something so generic.

I can see that concern, but I still think Midnight Mass is worth it. It sticks with fairly generic vampire mythology stuff to the end, so don't expect any twists there. But I still think the show's thematic approach to vampires feels novel, placing the "inverted Christianity" aspects of vampire lore front and center. The idea that a devout Christian would see a vampire and a Biblical angel as interchangeable really landed for me, because OF COURSE they would if "vampires" weren't already a thing in pop culture. I've always found Catholic imagery and mythology pretty ghoulish and occult to begin with, and this show really runs with the idea.

I viewed it as a great counterpoint to The Exorcist, as a horror-adjacent exploration of a crisis of faith among devout Catholics. Where Exorcist lands on the side of exalting Father Karras as a martyr, Midnight Mass does the exact opposite. It's the atheist character who martyrs himself, the secular and non-Christian people on the island who see the creature for what it is. The priest isn't redeemed for embracing his faith but, in a sense, for rejecting it. It's an irony to me that Exorcist is reviled by Catholics as heretical when the story falls pretty firmly in the camp of, "God is real and the priests are the good guys." But Midnight Mass really skewered religious zealotry in a way that I loved.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favourite part of Midnight Mass was this absolutely deranged monologue:

quote:

”I’m not the one that died today. She was never awake. When she came down into this little body, this just-forming little body, it was asleep. So all she ever knew was dreaming. She only ever dreamed. She didn’t even have a name. And then in her sleep, that perfect little spirit just lifted up. Because God didn’t send her to suffer through life on Earth. No. This one? This special little soul… God just sent her down here to sleep. Just a little nap. A quick dream. And then He called her back. He wanted her back. And so she went back. Same as she floated down, she rose up above the Earth. Past all the souls in the atmosphere and all the stars in the sky and then into a light so bright. And then, for the first time… She starts to wake up. She’s wrapped in a feeling of love. Just pure, amazing love. Of course she is. [laughing] She’s pure. She has never sinned. She never hurt a single living thing, not even an ant. And she’s not alone. She’s home. There are people there, she doesn’t know it, but they’re her family. Her grandfather and her great-grandfather, and they love her. And they name her. And then when God reaches down and kisses her head, and the second He says her name, she grows up. In a blink. And she’s perfect. Her body as it would have been on her best day on Earth. Her perfect age. The peak of herself. And they tell her about her mom down here on Earth, and how I’ll be there soon enough. [breathes deeply] And she’s happy. And nothing but joy for all eternity. And she’s loved. And she isn’t alone. And that’s what we mean when we say Heaven. No mansions, no rivers of diamonds, or fluffy clouds or angel wings. You are loved. And you aren’t alone. That is God. That is Heaven. That’s why we endure all that we endure on this… Big, blue, sad rock. I’ll be there soon enough. And I’ll see my father. And my grandmother. And I’ll see my little girl, and she will be happy and safe. And I will be so glad to meet her.”

And then whowhatwhere told me that This Is What Fundamentalist Christians Actually Believe and I almost wept right then and there. Religion is a disease

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean, getting to exist in the afterlife with the best version of your body isn't exactly unique to some christians. It would suck to live for eternity as a baby or with a nearly dying oldass body. The Bible itself is actually pretty mum on details for heaven so a lot of what people come to believe about heaven is cobbled together from interpretation of errant verses and a ton of fiction and art from over the years. Even in church you miight be told different things. One of the more common ones I was pitched as a kid was being in heaven wasn't really like "oh cool what a fun place to be with all the toys you'd ever want" kind of deal so much as a kind of eternal incomprehensible bliss existing in and with the glory of god, and like you wouldn't want or need to do anything because you'd just be more-than-max feeling good vibes straight from god forever. That's an abstract and possibly terrifying notion though and there are lines in the bible like

quote:

35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” 36 You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. 39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”;[e] the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall[f] also bear the image of the man of heaven.

50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

“Death is swallowed up in victory.”
55 “O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?”

56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Roundabout way to give the deets on resurrection cause I guess back then everyone was all "ew" thinking there'd be nasty zombies roamin' around like for the three days Jesus was dead and loving poo poo up in hell.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I interpret it as “God will say my baby’s name and she will immediately transform into a hottie with a smokin rack” because it’s funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched E2 of Station Eleven. Is... is it going to be all this theater stuff from now on?

Owling Howl posted:

Veep and The Good Place are both shows I want to like due to the idea and people involved but don't actually find that funny.

Veep is really, really good imo, but I never tried The Good Place. I see Ted Danson is in it so I'll be the first show I see him outside of Curb