Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussiingFiIm/status/1607756949529194497

This is ithe only MCU movie I never saw, didn't it suck majorly and not do great at the BO

Disney will make a sequel just to have an oscar winning director in their stable. I didn't think it was terrible but mostly forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DiscussiingFilm

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Eternals was fine, the cast was just way way too large. It was refreshingly disconnected from the rest of the MCU for all but the first and last five minutes of the runtime.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I didn't think the Eternals was notably bad or anything. It was a just a whole lot of characters and new stuff and scope to establish in 2 hours and it feels rushed and doesn't have the emotional or character attachment you clearly want. It seems like something that would have been ideal for a Disney+ miniseries to set up a movie. But a sequel has that setup and a smaller cast so I'm curious to see if it works better. It could just become another Marvel movie or it could maybe use the head start it is to do some of the weird Kirby stuff. Dunno.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah I don’t get why it wasn’t made into a miniseries aside from the chosen director. You’d think a D+ series would have been lower risk and cheaper to market too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their tv shows aren't cheap. For whatever reason(s) Hawkeye cost $150 million for 8 episodes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't entirely know that I've picked up on the pattern of what is a MCU series and what is a film. Like some stuff like WandaVision or She Hulk obviously fits thematically better as TV. And some stuff like Ms Marvel or Hawkeye could be a means to soft introduce characters they aren't sure could carry a film. But they could have been films with some rewrites. And I'm not sure Marvel/Disney is actively thinking in a way that's like "Eternals feels more like a tv show." Or at least wasn't at the time. I dunno. It feels like growing pains in doing something new and different the same as in Phase 1/2.

Mu Zeta posted:

Their tv shows aren't cheap. For whatever reason(s) Hawkeye cost $150 million for 8 episodes.

I would guess Renner jacked the price up plus Steinfeld and maybe D'Onofrio plus like on location shooting in NYC? Hawkeye was originally conceived/contracted as a film I believe. But even if it was expensive to film the point that it would be cheaper to market is probably valid. You don't have to get people out to the movie theaters to see it, you just have to get them to go to their tvs and the DIsney+ app. I don't know what all that means in Hollywood financial voodoo math though.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 29, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussiingFiIm/status/1607756949529194497

This is ithe only MCU movie I never saw, didn't it suck majorly and not do great at the BO

You can't call your sequel Judgement Day. That name is already taken by the greatest sequel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Medullah posted:

One of my favorite endings of all time. What other shows have completely out of left field dark poo poo like that?

The BBC sitcom "One Foot in the Grave"

spoilers:

In the last ep the main character, Victor, is killed in a hit and run, and his widow Margaret later discovers that her new friend was the one responsible. In the end, it's left ambiguous to whether or not Margaret poisons her in retribution

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oh jay posted:

You can't call your sequel Judgement Day. That name is already taken by the greatest sequel.

It's a fake Twitter account.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, I was really enjoying Fleishman is in trouble. But that finale was really lame. They should have just stopped after the previous episode.

While I think the last episode was definitely the best of the season I was fully okay with the ending. The show was never really about Fleischman. The final episode focusing on her coming to terms with her choices and realizing she can't keep trying to go back to where she was made a lot of sense. Even if it wasn't a traditional happy ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Was that a "season finale that works like a series finale" deal and as I'm typing this I'm realizing I'm mistaking this for another Canadian time travel TV show with a dark/bittersweet ending

Yeah, Travelers ending was the main character undoing the entire series by going back to before everything happened and creating a new timeline. One thing I liked about that show was the slow reveal about how all their rules about time travel were actually just voluntary limitations from the controlling AI.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Azhais posted:

Honorable mention to Sledgehammer that thought it was getting cancelled

"The following season of Sledgehammer takes place several years before the previous...." :lol:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Davros1 posted:

The BBC sitcom "One Foot in the Grave"

spoilers:

In the last ep the main character, Victor, is killed in a hit and run, and his widow Margaret later discovers that her new friend was the one responsible. In the end, it's left ambiguous to whether or not Margaret poisons her in retribution

wtf

Cripes, never knew that. The last ep I recall seeing was a fake out one where it looked and was framed like he’d been killed off and Margaret was pootling about in a sad widow stylee, then he came in moaning as usual.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If we're talking big weird finales, Dinosaurs should definitely be up there, but there's also Byker Grove -- a very quotidian UK teen soap opera that ends with the mass realisation that the cast are characters on a doomed TV show, followed by a dinosaur attack, followed by very young children blowing up the surviving cast in a controlled explosion.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Blackadder has a pretty infamous, dark out of nowhere ending.

I guess Quantum Leap might qualify, with the final shot being the text telling you that Sam never returned home.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Life on Mars (both versions, really) have "WTF" endings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Extreme lol at Doom Patrol having a MCR song in this week's episode.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Man, I wish The Bear had Spanish audio or subtitles. My mom would love this show; she's worked every job one can have at a restaurant, from janitor, to cook, to manager and I think this would hit her right in the feels. On episode 4 right now and loving it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

If we're talking big weird finales, Dinosaurs should definitely be up there, but there's also Byker Grove -- a very quotidian UK teen soap opera that ends with the mass realisation that the cast are characters on a doomed TV show, followed by a dinosaur attack, followed by very young children blowing up the surviving cast in a controlled explosion.

And we can all blame Ant and Dec for not being able to watch as they control the library. I had no idea that’s how it ended. I bet Geoff was fuming!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

"The following season of Sledgehammer takes place several years before the previous...." :lol:

The second season of Millennium ends with Lance Henriksen failing to stop the release of a plague that implicitly kills every human, including Lance Henriksen, and collapses civilization. Then there was a third season where he works for the fbi and everything is fine except his wife is dead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pan Dulce posted:

Man, I wish The Bear had Spanish audio or subtitles. My mom would love this show; she's worked every job one can have at a restaurant, from janitor, to cook, to manager and I think this would hit her right in the feels. On episode 4 right now and loving it.

The second to last episode is downright incredible.
Too bad your mom probably doesn't live in Europe. The show is on Disney+ here and has the full set of Dubs and Subs. There is actually a Spanish and a Latin-american Spanish sub, which is honestly a bit impressive.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

The second to last episode is downright incredible.
Too bad your mom probably doesn't live in Europe. The show is on Disney+ here and has the full set of Dubs and Subs. There is actually a Spanish and a Latin-american Spanish sub, which is honestly a bit impressive.

Nope. Unless somehow Hulu isn't working properly, I triple-checked the audio and subs portion for the show on my laptop and no dice for anything except English.

I actually just finished The Bear and came to post about it. Amazing, epic, feel-good, teaches you something, and takes you through emotional highs and lows without having a romance subplot? This was everything I could want in a show. Have no idea if they're getting a season 2, but even if they didn't, that ending was great.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I would guess Renner jacked the price up plus Steinfeld and maybe D'Onofrio plus like on location shooting in NYC? Hawkeye was originally conceived/contracted as a film I believe. But even if it was expensive to film the point that it would be cheaper to market is probably valid. You don't have to get people out to the movie theaters to see it, you just have to get them to go to their tvs and the DIsney+ app. I don't know what all that means in Hollywood financial voodoo math though.

You can shoot in NYC on the cheap; the Netflix Marvel shows cost almost a tenth of that. Even shooting a Christmas show mid-summer can be done cheaply with the right shot planning (see Happy). $150 blows my mind considering how little CG the character actually requires. Big car chases are heinously expensive, Renner was heinously expensive (#1ing a tv show is way more of a time commitment than being #6 or whatever in an ensemble feature), and ofc Covid adds ~15% to the budget. As far as D'Onofrio goes, he #2s on Godfather of Harlem, which is on the much lower end of tv budgets.

With Hollywood accounting, I'm sure it was pitched as replacing a very expensive actor with a much cheaper one and amortizing the costs into future seasons to keep the schedule full to retain subs.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Also, goons of Couch Chat, I'm trying to get through really good tv of 2022 before the year ends and I'm on break. What should I watch next on this list:
-Let the Right One In
-Girls5Eva
-The Peripheral
-High School
-Reboot
-Kindred
-Pam and Tommy

Granted, in 2022, I've already watched these series in their entirety:
-Abbott Elementary
-RuPaul’s Drag Race S14
-American Auto
-The Book of Boba Fett
-Peacemaker
-Bridgerton S2
-Severance
-Top Chef
-Moon Knight
-Ms. Marvel
-Stranger Things
-Sandman
-American Horror Stories
-House of the Dragon
-She-Hulk
-Dragula: Titans
-RPDR Canada S3
-RPDR UK S4
-RPDR Down Under S2
-RPDR Canada: Canada vs the World
-Making the Cut S3
-Welcome to Chippendales
-Wednesday
-Heartstopper
-Our Flag Means Death
-Blockbuster
-The Flatshare
-Reginald the Vampire
-Rings of Power
-The Wheel of Time
-Interview with the Vampire
-A League of Their Own
-Yellowjackets
-The Bear

Oh, and in case you all recommend stuff specifically aired in 2022 that isn't on either list, just know I hate cringe-comedy, cop drama, have never seen Breaking Bad, much less want to start Better Call Saul, and have promised to watch these series solely with my husband when he gets days off, so I can't knock these off my list:
-The Boys
-From
-Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Andor
-What We Do In The Shadows

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pan Dulce posted:

-Girls5Eva
-Reboot
Those are good.

Pan Dulce posted:

-The Peripheral
This one really isn't. There are some nice effects, but the characters kind of suck.

Also, watch Welcome to Wrexham. Best sports doku I've seen in years.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Peripheral is a very pretty and entertaining popcorn show. It's not going to blow your mind, but it was a lot better than I expected, and I liked it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm halfway through The Peripheral and I'm enjoying it a lot, I almost didn't start it because of people's comments on here.

The story is compelling and there are a lot of really interesting sci-fi concepts in it. I can definitely tell it's a William Gibson novel that's for sure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, goons of Couch Chat, I'm trying to get through really good tv of 2022 before the year ends and I'm on break. What should I watch next on this list:
-Let the Right One In
-Girls5Eva
-The Peripheral
-High School
-Reboot
-Kindred
-Pam and Tommy

I've not seen Kindred (yet!) but based on what you like I think these fit.

You might want to check out Ghosts as well, either the US version or the original.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

There is actually a Spanish and a Latin-american Spanish sub, which is honestly a bit impressive.

Netflix also does this with some shows.

I do wonder if they take effort to make the Latin American version as broad as possible, or if the actors are audibly from one of the larger countries. There's still considerable differences between Mexican and Argentinian, for example. So do they use a mix of Mexican, Colombian and Argentinian actors all speaking their own version of Spanish for the subs? Or all actors from the same region in order to unify things at least within a piece of media?

A well done dub could of course use those regional differences to add depth that's not there in the source material (like Quebecois versions of The Simpsons famously do), with stereotypes being reinforced by the choice of regional Latin American accent being used for a character. The German dub for Austin powers also did this by making the German Dr Evil henchman speak in an East German accent. This takes effort and creativity, though, and if the quality of sub titles is any indication, I'm not sure they're investing this much in localization.

With versions of Spanish being as spread out as versions of Arabic, it makes sense for there to be something equivalent to MSA, but for Spanish. The interesting thing is that their version of Classical Arabic, Castilian Spanish, is still actually being spoken and of course also being influenced by linguistic developments from Latin America.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The Peripheral had some issues - in particular the over-the-top James Bond villain dialogue - but the world is interesting and it has a lot of great side characters. I thought they couldn't top Bob, the Geriatric Irish Hitman, but then they introduce Transgender Cyborg Hercule Poirot!

Definitely worth a watch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

-Let the Right One In
-Girls5Eva
-The Peripheral
-High School
-Reboot
-Kindred
-Pam and Tommy

I can't recommend Let the Right One In. It wasn't bad as "generic vampire show" but it wasn't great, and it had nothing to do with it's source material

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Drop all those other shows and watch Reservation Dogs

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't watch Obi Wan Kenobi

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

after growing up in the first decade of the 2000s its loving sad watching people try to categorize this a really good year for tv

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not everything was better 20 years ago.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the only thing worse than 'watchable' tv is the positivity about how much of it there is

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pan Dulce posted:

Are you watching This Fool on Hulu? It’s got a really fun and solid portrayal of a Mexican America family in East LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FrSTPxdzI

External Organs posted:

Drop all those other shows and watch Reservation Dogs

This is also a solid recommendation but it should come with a trigger warning since it deals with some heavy issues like suicide.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 30, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

My goal is to make it over halfway through Fleishman this weekend (personal stuff keeps getting in the way) like my two precocious kids and my bitch ex-wife.

My partner wants me to watch The Bear with him (he used to be a line cook) and I'm down, although a few minutes of kitchen footage made me incredibly stressed, ha. I accidentally saw what I presume is a big spoiler There's money in a can of food that gets tossed I think? and he doesn't know, so I gotta keep my mouth shut and hope it won't affect my watching too much.

Finally, I saw a trailer for Gaslit and it absolutely seemed like My Kinda Thing, but I don't think anyone here has mentioned it?

VVV I'm not a huge purist about plot-point spoilers, I mostly only feel it's ruined for like, mysteries/who-dunnits and other major twists, whatever you wanna call it. Like if I had "Who dies in White Lotus 1 or 2" spoiled for me I'd be so bummed, but something like "_____ and ____ have a drug-fueled orgy" isn't, if that makes sense.

Here's a vote for Gaslit. Finally going thru it in my insane drive to see as much TV as possible before he New Year and it's a great find. Dan Stevens, Shea Wigham, Julia Roberts and a cavalcade of character actors absolutely killed it. Really funny and riveting dialogue and photography. It's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Extreme lol at Doom Patrol having a MCR song in this week's episode.

Kinda losing my drive to watch the current season. After doing a big binge on the show you kinda notice the recurring pattern of bad things threaten the team---->everyone decides to split off to confront their own poo poo again------->deux ex machinations that had nothing to do with them solves it------->Jane wakes up after conking out due to her own poo poo after step one.