Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, goons of Couch Chat, I'm trying to get through really good tv of 2022 before the year ends and I'm on break. What should I watch next on this list:
-Let the Right One In
-Girls5Eva
-The Peripheral
-High School
-Reboot
-Kindred
-Pam and Tommy

Granted, in 2022, I've already watched these series in their entirety:
-Abbott Elementary
-RuPaul’s Drag Race S14
-American Auto
-The Book of Boba Fett
-Peacemaker
-Bridgerton S2
-Severance
-Top Chef
-Moon Knight
-Ms. Marvel
-Stranger Things
-Sandman
-American Horror Stories
-House of the Dragon
-She-Hulk
-Dragula: Titans
-RPDR Canada S3
-RPDR UK S4
-RPDR Down Under S2
-RPDR Canada: Canada vs the World
-Making the Cut S3
-Welcome to Chippendales
-Wednesday
-Heartstopper
-Our Flag Means Death
-Blockbuster
-The Flatshare
-Reginald the Vampire
-Rings of Power
-The Wheel of Time
-Interview with the Vampire
-A League of Their Own
-Yellowjackets
-The Bear

Oh, and in case you all recommend stuff specifically aired in 2022 that isn't on either list, just know I hate cringe-comedy, cop drama, have never seen Breaking Bad, much less want to start Better Call Saul, and have promised to watch these series solely with my husband when he gets days off, so I can't knock these off my list:
-The Boys
-From
-Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Andor
-What We Do In The Shadows

I'd watch Andor or WWDITS. Your next list has shows that kinda pale compared to some of the TV that has happened this year, with the exception of High School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Qmass posted:

after growing up in the first decade of the 2000s its loving sad watching people try to categorize this a really good year for tv

Come on we all watched the first decade of the aughts and there might be The Wire and The Sopranos but they were far and fee between, at least drama wise. You might have something for comedies tho.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rome, Carnivale, and Deadwood also come to mind.

Outside HBO… Lost, The Shield, and BSG, maybe? Life on Mars is something I would have added but I feel like it’s kind of lost some cultural staying power, and is also maybe more of a dramedy.

Maybe some individual seasons also like Dexter S1, but I guess that’s also more of a dramedy.

There’s stuff life Mad Men and Breaking Bad that technically started in the decade but feel more of the ‘10s.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember being riveted by the first two seasons of 24 but it's embarassing watching them now. I think Six Feet Under still holds up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that people who complain about there not being enough good TV coming out at the moment probably watch too much TV. There's tons of great stuff coming out right now, but yeah of course you're going to hit a wall if you binge like 3 shows every week.

I mean, I know I'm posting in the TVIV and I watch too much stuff too, but you've gotta keep your expectations in check.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Witcher 3 PS5 hit so my show watching has dropped significantly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How is the new Witcher prequel season

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Remember how bad the final season of GoT was? It was a masterpiece compared to this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

feedmyleg posted:

I think that people who complain about there not being enough good TV coming out at the moment probably watch too much TV. There's tons of great stuff coming out right now, but yeah of course you're going to hit a wall if you binge like 3 shows every week.

I mean, I know I'm posting in the TVIV and I watch too much stuff too, but you've gotta keep your expectations in check.

Yeah. That and people just consume TV differently now. I imagine a lot of people who complain about the lack of good TV are reacting to like a lack of weekly anticipation for the big shows you have to wait for. Binging all these shows in a matter of days or a week makes them all feel like something else entirely and gets viewers very spoiled and losing perspective.

I don't know what anyone's saying when they complain there's not enough stuff out there. It feels like I can never find the time to watch half the stuff I should or mean to.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

"Woke", apparently. :rolleyes: ...AKA: Gay characters exist, and at least one woman kills at least one man.

Shageletic posted:

Here's a vote for Gaslit. Finally going thru it in my insane drive to see as much TV as possible before he New Year and it's a great find. Dan Stevens, Shea Wigham, Julia Roberts and a cavalcade of character actors absolutely killed it. Really funny and riveting dialogue and photography. It's great

:cheers:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaslit! Can't stop talking about it!!!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pan Dulce posted:

Oh, and in case you all recommend stuff specifically aired in 2022 that isn't on either list, just know I hate cringe-comedy, cop drama, have never seen Breaking Bad, much less want to start Better Call Saul, and have promised to watch these series solely with my husband when he gets days off, so I can't knock these off my list:

What do you qualify as cop drama? Like, if it's a show about cops hanging around, stopping some crime, having a good time and being buddies, but there are a couple of sad points, is that out? Because if not then you should watch We Own This City.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like how Southside takes the piss off the main cop character. Another unappreciated show.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So, around 10 years ago or thereabouts, there was this DnD fantasy movie series done by Asylum (Syfy channel guys) or someone like that. Special effects were terrible, makeup and creature design were fairly bad, dialogue ran from meh to outright bad and both the characters and overall plot was pretty generic but… I watched like all six or seven of those movies. As they went along there were some more interesting touches yet never really good per se, but somehow, I was engaged. The actors were all local and unknowns but they really tried to varying degrees of success and I put some of the enjoyment I got solely from them. The Witcher show felt about the same.

LOVED Meldof the Dwarf and want to see her do that more. Francesca Mills was seriously good and charismatic as FUQ. Michelle Yeoh is great but it’s Michelle Yeoh so yeah… she brings it. The other guys range but there are some nice quiet character moments I think they do better with. I will say using the unreliable narrator device of Jaskier the Bard trying to hurriedly take dictation post battle in the rain from some scary powerful and mysterious magical creature was a cute way to head off inconsistencies and flaws and yet… not really a GOOD show. Better than Obi Won, which was soulless garbage. Nobody should watch Obi Won.

Also backing up Reservation Dogs. Love this show as much as I did Wayne or Patriot.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 30, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just checked HBO Max to see if there was an entry up for Andrew Callaghans ‘This Place Rules’ which airs tonight, and can see they’ve solved the problem of dropping half of their shows by adding such quality items as Call Me Kat and Bob <3 Abishola. That’ll retain subscribers for sure!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Among the many things I couldn’t post because of dumbass Jeffrey’s idiot meltdown I think the one I wanted to the most is that liking Fleishman up to the finale but then not liking the finale is utterly baffling

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ooh did I miss a meltdown? I checked QCS and saw that it was closed, which is no real loss to anyone.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

qcs is temporarily closed and like 130 posters got probed and some posters got permabanned and it was all very humorous

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Among the many things I couldn’t post because of dumbass Jeffrey’s idiot meltdown I think the one I wanted to the most is that liking Fleishman up to the finale but then not liking the finale is utterly baffling

Yeah it did have a weird sort of narrative shift there at the end. Like it was trying to recontextualize the theme of the whole series with that last episode. The last two episodes felt a little tacked on even though I did like them. I would have been satisfied if it ended with Dr. Fleishmen and his kids walking into the Vantablack, roll credits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda amazing QCS lasted as long as it did really, I don’t think anyone replying in there has ever acted in good faith and no admin or mod ever seemed to notice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ooh did I miss a meltdown? I checked QCS and saw that it was closed, which is no real loss to anyone.

Yeah Jeffrey probed an entire thread for a week for the crime of posting on Boxing Day because he is A loving Moron and they only just got around to undoing it

It wasn’t even a meltdown it was a bunch of people saying a rule was bad and like some of the usual suspect weirdos doing their thing but nothing for anyone on the admin team to poo poo themselves over, but he managed to react in literally the worst possible way hahah

But it’s over now and I will be writing my shows of the year post tomorrow :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kinda amazing QCS lasted as long as it did really, I don’t think anyone replying in there has ever acted in good faith and no admin or mod ever seemed to notice.

This is what I used to think until this most recent thread which was full of good faith posters all of whom got completely ignored and probed along with anyone else

Would have been hilarious if it was a day but a week is like full admin tantrum level lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some mod was randomly probing people in the watches thread as well. It was just a bunch of people talking about Rolex or Seiko and then the whole page of people were probed. Though this was funnier because it was just for 6 hours.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SA leadership be wildin out recently. Thankfully these days our mods are either cool or just don’t do anything anyway. Far cry from the olden days.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember being riveted by the first two seasons of 24 but it's embarassing watching them now. I think Six Feet Under still holds up.

Rewatching :twentyfour: is especially upsetting because of the very clear revelation that many of the original viewers could not separate fiction from reality and built their entire world view and politics around the axiom of “24 is real, Jack Bauer works for the actual US government, and this is how anti-terrorism should be performed.”

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
adult swim yule log:

:stare:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Watched Fleishman over the last three nights and loved it. I wasn't as enamoured with episode 7 as everyone else; probably partly because the posts here had kinda given it away but mostly because I do not need to see Claire Danes crying and having a breakdown AGAIN. Overall though, top 5 of the year material, definitely.

That and High School made for excellent late night Xmas binges with some wanky beers in front of my parents' fire.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Escobarbarian posted:

Would have been hilarious if it was a day but a week is like full admin tantrum level lol

Oh! Is this why I kept seeing people "can't post for ___ days" for the past few days, but checking their rapsheets showed nothing recent (you were one of em)? I assumed it was some weird forums glitch, but this might explain it. :ohdear:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just checked HBO Max to see if there was an entry up for Andrew Callaghans ‘This Place Rules’ which airs tonight

I can't wait to watch this, that dude is one of my heroes. :kiddo:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Read After Burning posted:

Oh! Is this why I kept seeing people "can't post for ___ days" for the past few days, but checking their rapsheets showed nothing recent (you were one of em)? I assumed it was some weird forums glitch, but this might explain it. :ohdear:

I can't wait to watch this, that dude is one of my heroes. :kiddo:

Yeah, I saw Esco’s 7 day and checked the rap sheet and finally had to ask in discord before I found the QCS thread. It was funny because it didn’t happen to me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Some mod was randomly probing people in the watches thread as well. It was just a bunch of people talking about Rolex or Seiko and then the whole page of people were probed. Though this was funnier because it was just for 6 hours.

It’s not the first time Woozy has trolled the watch thread…it’s always seemed good natured in the past. :shrug:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Finding this out on Discord instead of the forums, I do not like this future:
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1609018818797473792?cxt=HHwWgMC8teeFsdQsAAAA

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What kind of tree will she become?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roy Cohn: Will I be able to see my old friend again? :shobon:
Satan: :laugh:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

All of the recommendations were swell; I've added and removed some shows from my meagre list to watch throughout the weekend 'til the ball drops, so to speak, but as for watching right now? I took this goon's advice:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not seen Kindred (yet!) but based on what you like I think these fit.

"Girls5Eva, High School, and Pam and Tommy"

You might want to check out Ghosts as well, either the US version or the original.

I started and finished Girls5Eva S2. It's better than S1 and the music is so good and funny. The Tina Fey writing crew really knows their poo poo. Then I went on to High School on Amazon Freevee. Holy crap, the MUSIC. The angsty high school experience. One episode down and I'm hooked.

You know, producers/directors/writers all know the millennial crowd is just at the ripening point to buy a ton of merch and invest time in interesting tv that appeals to their demographic. It's why shows like Yellowjackets, High School, and even the Bear hit the same musical highs/tones to me. I love them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bear had a lot of music from Chicago artists about Chicago. That was pretty cool.

E: I was one of the folks here raving about Pam and Tommy. But it loses something by the end of the series, like it ran out of gas. I dunno you just get tired of Pam getting poo poo on all the time

The first few eps were great but there are shows that combine spectacle and substance. Like Physical.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Finding this out on Discord instead of the forums, I do not like this future:
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1609018818797473792?cxt=HHwWgMC8teeFsdQsAAAA

RIP Barbara Wawa

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Shageletic posted:

The Bear had a lot of music from Chicago artists about Chicago. That was pretty cool.

E: I was one of the folks here raving about Pam and Tommy. But it loses something by the end of the series, like it ran out of gas. I dunno you just get tired of Pam getting poo poo on all the time

The first few eps were great but there are shows that combine spectacle and substance. Like Physical.

I learned how to pronounce Sufjan Stevens because of The Bear!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
The new Witcher show isn't even Kirkland brand Witcher, it's Hydrox Witcher.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
High School is really great. The show, not the educational facility. It’ll be on my top 10.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'd highly recommend Shoresy if you liked Letterkenny but felt it's gotten stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Episode five of High School and CHRIST, Sara sucks. She is the living embodiment of that Harry Potter puppet pals gif where Harry's banging his head against the wall saying, "Angst, angst, angst."

EDIT: Just finished High School and UGH. That ending. gently caress Sara, man. Tegan is such a good sister for dealing with her melodrama.

2ND EDIT: Started Tommy and Pam. Finished the first episode and drat. Pam doesn't deserve what's coming up, but Tommy certainly deserves divine punishment. I can't stand rich assholes that take advantage of the common blue-collar workers.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 31, 2022