Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CommonShore posted:

drat hal foster sure doesn't like greeks

I love the panel with the Greek standing guard and his shadow facing the other way, doin thangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:ironicat:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

CommonShore posted:

drat hal foster sure doesn't like greeks

Evidently they must have given him too many gifts.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Take-Over

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Take-Over

I refuse to believe that this is proper corporate gangsterdom; these guys are giving too much basic dignity to the people they're murdering. Bezos wouldn't even have disposed of the bodies.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 31, 1975)

In case you missed it, FUNKY WINKERBEAN IS OVER. So straight on to Crankshaft.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 2, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 16-18, 1940)

Today's special guest star: the distant sound of drums.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If you have both Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin as opponents and you find yourself in a situation where you have them at your mercy, you kill them immediately--you don't muck about delaying things. This should be obvious to anyone who has any idea who they are.

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I don't know, maybe he doesn't want you to get into the death car?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

This has been a pretty boring storyline disaster-wise other but that Panel 4 really deserves a razzing. "What if my readers don't know what he means by an insurance payout joke? I'd better draw a cartoon sack of cash in a thought bubble. Oh oh, and I'd better draw it poorly, ain't nobody got time for second drafts."

Obligatory cryptid joke for that dude's beard mouth too. "What does it look like to talk with a heavy beard? gently caress it, Google is all the way in another tab." ... Hell, it's drawn right in panel 2. OK, beardshifting is definitely a cryptid thing.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 31, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Funky Winkerbean died as it lived.

Utterly forgettable.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I'm also glad that they're actually having fun with Shannon and not just bitching about what a horrible little poo poo she is just because she's a little kid.

Also I just found out that Barbara Walters passed away from the loving comments section of Luann and I'm a little bit pissed off about that.

Gil Thorp

Happy End of This Year, thread! I hope we all have a good Next Year!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hahaha, I had the same thought. :)

I made an animal friendly version to make your edit look even better:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Credit to Luann, for once they took the arc to a good place.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Also I just found out that Barbara Walters passed away from the loving comments section of Luann and I'm a little bit pissed off about that.
Man, I knew the comments were bad - never thought they were deadly, but here we are.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Some Guy TT posted:

Nothing so literal unless you were living way out in the boonies. Maggie's just...uh...24 I want to guess? She was getting a little old to be unmarried, and it's already been mentioned that her father is dead, so the family has no means of financial support and are too respectably middle class to entertain the idea of the surviving women having to work. Maggie's younger sister might or might not have been in college at the time. I don't remember and I haven't gotten that far ahead in the translation yet.

Now if you want a pedantic answer rather than a helpful one, technically the story is taking place in the aughts, because it was the eighties when we started, and we've flashed forward into the future. That's going to be in an upcoming panel. Whether that was true in the original comic or if this is a foob style lazy update I'm honestly not sure. All of the monetary figures I've been giving only really make sense in terms of what money was worth when the comic was originally written. It's equally plausible that the author didn't know that inflation existed, or that whoever added the date 200x just didn't bother to fix the financial references because it was too much work.

The fact that this started in the 80s and not like the 50s is absolutely throwing me yes

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

The fact that this started in the 80s and not like the 50s is absolutely throwing me yes

Like they say - the past is a foreign country.

A foreign country is also a foreign country.

And a foreign country in the past? Buddy...

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Hi, thread, I'm celebrating my birthday and the new year in Hawaii, have a couple Hawaiian Kliban cats!

The stuffed cat is tempting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in my luggage

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Powerful Katrinka posted:

The stuffed cat is tempting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in my luggage

Mail it to yourself

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Carry it on the plane with confident posture and expression. Use it as a pillow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Throw all your clothes away

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Compu-toon

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Happy New Year!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do miss edits though.

I never stopped!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Hi, thread, I'm celebrating my birthday and the new year in Hawaii, have a couple Hawaiian Kliban cats!

Throw out all the stuffing.
Re-stuff at home.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Oooo, just in time for the nightly payload. :)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

oh hell yeah

Happy New Year, thread! See you in the next iteration!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Happy new year! And notary sojac to you all.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's been a great ride, thanks to all of you who put in the time to curate, scan, upload and (sometimes) explain. I really appreciate the time and effort. And the history!

Even the strips I don't like still have decent and occasionally stunning art.

Welcome, 2023!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Hippocrass posted:

Throw out all the stuffing.
Re-stuff at home.

That's... That's actually kind of genius.

Hwurmp posted:

Throw all your clothes away

It'd probably be worth it. Think of all the souvenirs I could bring home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Thread's closed. Mostly unrelated, but I really liked this panel from the penultimate Demons of Baseball update. Pity it's not avatar-sized.