Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Don't change anything about the thread, imo. This is one of three threads that got me to finally buy an account back in 2017 and it's become my online comics page. I enjoy hate-reading/laughing at some of the more infuriating (Dustin) or ridiculous (Mary Worth) strips, and there's a good mix of vintage and new stuff. I just skip the stuff I don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

comic strip megathread is one of the best threads on the forum, change nothing

(well, post more/different comics if you want to)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I do miss edits though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do miss edits though.

Be the change edit you want to see.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Can we make sure Gary Larson can't click on the next thread?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

don Jaime posted:

Couldn’t you guys post something good?

No.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The last few weeks of Mary Worth has basically been those two beaming at each other talking about how much they love being in love; it's almost transcendent in its banality and I kind of love/hate it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mary Worth is at its very best when someone does something incredibly cringeworthy at a restaurant, dinner party or similar, and doesn't realize it. (Drunkenness optional.)

That someone is often, but not always, Wilbur.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Last Scary Gary strips of 2022 (anyone cheering gets their own jar next to Travis)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thread good, don't change it

Well, yeah, more edits would be good, but I'm not creative enough to do that

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sundae posted:

Be the change edit you want to see.

I'm not that skilled and I've noticed that the few people who still do edits usually get passed by with no comment. It just doesn't seem to be what most people are reading for these days.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Annoying Sunglasses Dog Gets hosed By Capitalism

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not that skilled and I've noticed that the few people who still do edits usually get passed by with no comment. It just doesn't seem to be what most people are reading for these days.
I think it's just part of the thread culture changing over time, with more focus on appreciating comics instead of purely making fun of them.

Although for whatever it's worth, I appreciate edits, I just don't usually have much to respond with. (emptyquote more? :v:)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
This thread is the best, and anything I don't care to read I just scroll past.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Another short payload for tonight.

Our Boarding House (April 12-14, 1923)

Little Lefty, featuring a carcinogenic ladies' garment. (October 14-16, 1937)

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Definitely keep on posting what you post. If there's something I really don't like I can just keep scrolling, and sometimes stuff that I ignored will catch my eye and I'll become a loyal follower of it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

(R_ubbish)

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I'm just glad this all ended with emphasis on the main character of Funky Winkerbean: Les Moore

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there no final sunday strip? Just a final ad for the store on the official winkerbean site, where you too can purchase Lisa’s Story?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

He said on his website a few days ago that last Sunday's strip was the last Sunday strip.

Very on brand for the epilogue to just sputter out in the most anticlimactic way possible.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
"It's time to retire, young lady." *sound of hammer on revolver being cocked*

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 16, 1955)

:china:

(I love the idea that the Varangian Guard don't care about profit)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 31, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Thanks for another year of comics, friends. There's no place quite like this anywhere else on the internet. :toot:

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 27, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

"It's time to retire, young lady." *sound of hammer on revolver being cocked*

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 16, 1955)

(I love the idea that the Varangian Guard don't care about profit)
I appreciate that this strip lets literally everyone get owned a little eventually, even chessmaster-queen Aleta.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Strips this old don't get comments on GC very often, but when they do it's always something pretty...this.

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

A great example of how the Lockhorns is lowkey a really good comic, imo. It made a participation trophy joke funny!

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

e: my dumb rear end posted the comments image twice for Tracy

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 31, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

as far as i'm aware, arranged marriages were common practice in korea well into the latter half of last century so the mom might well have forced her hand

Nothing so literal unless you were living way out in the boonies. Maggie's just...uh...24 I want to guess? She was getting a little old to be unmarried, and it's already been mentioned that her father is dead, so the family has no means of financial support and are too respectably middle class to entertain the idea of the surviving women having to work. Maggie's younger sister might or might not have been in college at the time. I don't remember and I haven't gotten that far ahead in the translation yet.

Now if you want a pedantic answer rather than a helpful one, technically the story is taking place in the aughts, because it was the eighties when we started, and we've flashed forward into the future. That's going to be in an upcoming panel. Whether that was true in the original comic or if this is a foob style lazy update I'm honestly not sure. All of the monetary figures I've been giving only really make sense in terms of what money was worth when the comic was originally written. It's equally plausible that the author didn't know that inflation existed, or that whoever added the date 200x just didn't bother to fix the financial references because it was too much work.

I'm leaning to the second one because the Korean Baseball League was formed about a year before the comic first started being published. This is roughly contemporaneous with the first appearance of the adult versions of the characters, where it's mentioned that the Korean Baseball League was only formed recently and didn't exist at all when Planck first met Director Sohn as a kid. It would be very odd to act as if the formation of a Korean Baseball League was something that was only going to happen in the distant future when it had, in fact, already happened in the real world.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

For a comic strip that likes to stick it to the boomers and has been outspoken about the dangers of climate change Mark Trail sure puts a lot of stock into believing in nonscientific anecdotal cryptid stuff

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
This thread is best thread. I read strips I like and ones I hate and it's all good.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

My Lovely Horse posted:

For a comic strip that likes to stick it to the boomers and has been outspoken about the dangers of climate change Mark Trail sure puts a lot of stock into believing in nonscientific anecdotal cryptid stuff
I think it's just an artifact of Jules being Very Online. A lot of people on twitter/etc are fairly into cryptids whether or not they actually believe in the things, wouldn't be surprised if that leaked into Mark Trail to try to make Rusty's part of the strip more "current"(or just as a seemingly-cute quirk for a kid).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

I can't wait for the fat one to find a dog costume and then be revealed that the comic was a stealth Lasagna Cat prequel the whole time.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

I think it's just part of the thread culture changing over time, with more focus on appreciating comics instead of purely making fun of them.

Although for whatever it's worth, I appreciate edits, I just don't usually have much to respond with. (emptyquote more? :v:)

I liked that one edit someone did of Blueberry with the don't tread on me snake...

Oh Christ, that was last year's thread...

Also, don't doxx me, Tinkersons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was working on a final post to wrap up Brenda, and I stumbled over Mark Carlson-Ghost's thoroughly exhaustive summary of the strip. Long story short, reading all that has rekindled my interest in the strip, so I plan to continue running it. So you won't be left hanging with whatever's up with Queen Vallorie.

As for the other strips I proposed, I will be adding some of them in the new thread. Which ones? Keep reading and find out!

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/30/02

I remember being a kid and amazing myself when I worked out that I was going to be alive to see the year 2000. (I told my dad, and he said, "Yeah, I'll be dead." My dad is strange sometimes. And just had his 79th birthday this year.)

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 2/12/50

Smokey Stover 1/27/52

Retail 1935 12/12/35

"Before this lady asked you if that ribbon could be washed, I asked you how much this one was, but this other lady asked you before me if the color would fade and I want to know if it doesn't match my dress can I change it?"

Bonus Comic! Private Lives proves that the popular appetite for insipid factoids about celebrities will never die. Raw spinach!

Private Lives 8/5/40

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 31, 2022

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Alt

And thus, Billy's long career in protection rackets began.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man