Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

maybe the apocalypse didnt burn enough books

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

:china:

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Ajara

That's end of the chapter, and it loops right back around to the first page:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

-You have a long-haired cat for sale?
-A long, hairy cat

Works slightly better in Finnish as the only difference is the comma (I guess calling cat "haired" technically works in English, but it sounds awkward)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Demons of Baseball is good but the pacing seems royally screwed up. Plank has been gone for 3-4 years now? Copper has undeniably won in the game of life and baseball. It's like we're seeing an alt timeline where the Demons don't show up to derail the Meteors during Copper's 100 game streak.

:v: They've even got a kid now. It's like Plank is two years late to his own story.

Two gut laughs in one comic. I love Boarding House.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe it'll still turn out to be an elaborate daydream Copper Ma is having at the onset of his 100th game, right before he beefs it.

Can't believe that hussy couldn't be assed to go on pining for her MIA boyfriend for at least a couple more years.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

This is the last "plot" of 1947, but it bleeds into 1948, so we won't necessarily see the end of it. Should I double-post until the 3rd, alongside Nancy 1943 so we get closure?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

I actually did this when I was Calvin's age (although I didn't see the strip until years later). I have a scar on my scalp to prove it.

Were your socks a pretty teal color, too?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Turns out that sadistic training doesn't work and Planck and his buddies just hosed up their bodies beyond repair.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am also def enjoying Demons of Baseball and I hope my comments don't sound like I'm being too mean to the only real female character in the strip. Just feels like she is mainly just the prize to be won over anything and Planck is doing a bad job at this haha. Also I don't remember if we've seen this new guy and lady on the last page. Everyone has very similar haircuts and builds :nyoron:

Also I'm glad Futaba's concert is going well. Cthlhu idol comic is fun and I should say that more.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Francesco wrote a blog post about the REM poster: https://mediumlarge.wordpress.com/2022/12/29/sally-forth-the-r-e-m-poster/

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

I choose to believe that the poster in the background is extolling, rather than decrying, peer pressure.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 02, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/28/02

Brenda Starr 2/6-8/50

Smokey Stover 1/13/52

I was curious so I looked at some electric blanket ads from 1952, and they seem to have gone for about $25-50 back then. I also noticed several ads touting electric blankets not from the manufacturers, but from local electric companies eager to see you run up bigger bills.

Everyday Movies 12/10/35

"Christmas may not be so far off counting by weeks, but it's a long time when you count by minutes."

Two strips with unauthorized Mickey Mouse today!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Christ on a bike. Does he get this neurotic when a car needs replacing?

quote:

One Last OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU For The Road

"Ah, good, we needed toilet paper."

Good Listener posted:

I am also def enjoying Demons of Baseball and I hope my comments don't sound like I'm being too mean to the only real female character in the strip. Just feels like she is mainly just the prize to be won over anything and Planck is doing a bad job at this haha. Also I don't remember if we've seen this new guy and lady on the last page. Everyone has very similar haircuts and builds :nyoron:
It's not just you, Planck is definitely loving this up really hard. It was a nice change when the lady grew a spine and stood up to her mom for a while, that stretch where she burst into tears every time she was on scene was really grating.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Oh good looks like karen managed to lock Greg in the closet after the last strip so they get to have fun with their neice

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

For those of you who kept saying "TAKE THE POSTER ALREADY!"...

Mutts

Skippy (February 18, 1935)

Peanuts (January 6, 1976)

Fallout: Funky Winkerbean

Nicknaming the robot helper for one of the most ubiquitous costume characters in midcentury American science fiction films is simultaneously a logical fit for this retrofuture schtick and the laziest boomer choice our writer could've gone with, which makes it absolutely perfect for whatever the hell this is supposed to be. That the reference isn't even spelled right solidifies that this is the right choice for the Funkyverse.

Tom, I hate to break it to you, we're never getting those flying cars. The future is a exploding Tesla with a gaming console built into the dashboard.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 31, 1939)

Olive & Popeye, in which Randy gives us some step-sibling bonding.

Out Our Way (September 9-11, 1940, and for those of you who were wondering how OOW would deal with the war, the bombing campaign against London had been going on for awhile when that first one went to press.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 29, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

Fallout: Funky Winkerbean

Posthuman Cybershell: "Miss, I will ask you once not to use slurs like that in my store. I will not ask you twice."

And why can't Lisa II ask the robot directly?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Because only her mother has THE CHIP. :tinfoil:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"Just remember what I told you, Ellie, if those little fuckers give you any trouble, toss their asses out in the snow. Now bring me a brandy."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"In this world, is the destiny of a baseball team controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of the umpire hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own average. Man takes up the bat in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained in a far-off time beyond remembrance. Man swings for the fences so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception."

This started as a joke but the last two lines actually fit pretty well

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

well, this is pretty disappointing news to read, but unfortunately not surprising.

https://twitter.com/thecartoonnews/status/1608287653761253383

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Sarah is 10? I thought she was more like 7 or 8, unless the strip did one of those '90s family sitcoms miraculous age-ups.

someone awful. posted:

well, this is pretty disappointing news to read, but unfortunately not surprising.

Old suit-wearing men in boardrooms know exactly what The Kids want these days. :rolleyes: Sorry Phoebs didn't make it; that sucks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They can call off the cryptid hunt in Mark Trail. He's right there in panel 3.

Sad to hear that about Phoebe. Nickelodeon defending their reputation as having comically wrong and outdated takes as always. Say, what's the last popular show Nick put out? The one that isn't 20 years old. Oh, right, Loud House. Glad we don't have many girls in that one, would drive away the boys.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're more interested in the mid-20s male demographic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sarah is 10? I thought she was more like 7 or 8, unless the strip did one of those '90s family sitcoms miraculous age-ups.

They did skip a year at some point.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

"In this world, is the destiny of a baseball team controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of the umpire hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own average. Man takes up the bat in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained in a far-off time beyond remembrance. Man swings for the fences so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception."

This started as a joke but the last two lines actually fit pretty well

What is a man? A miserable pile of baseballs!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

someone awful. posted:

Doesn't help that every company seems to be cutting new shows after it turned out that streaming growth isn't infinite.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

But The Future Refused To Change

(I love how Gex is just here now.)

I Feel Like, While This Is Perhaps A Bad Analogy Or Simile, Owning A Collection Of Pelts Of Kills Would Be A Lot Like Owning A Box Full Of Scalps/Severed Ears/Severed Fingers And Just As Awful To Do But It's Okay Because Hee Hoo Hellworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

This is the last "plot" of 1947, but it bleeds into 1948, so we won't necessarily see the end of it. Should I double-post until the 3rd, alongside Nancy 1943 so we get closure?

pls do