Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Happy New Year, Thread! I'm wishing all of us a good, or at least acceptable, 2022! Let's start the year off wrong with some Luann!

Luann tells the story of terminally boring 19-year-old college student Luann and all her horrible friends! It was created by Greg Evans. Several years ago his daughter Karen, upon whom Luann was originally based, joined in as co-writer of the strip. Neither Greg nor Karen have interacted with an actual 19-year-old in decades. While the characters are insufferable and the storylines are infuriating, the art and writing are quite readable and the punchlines are snappy (not to be confused with funny). This perfect balance of competence and incompetence make Luann a Grade-A Hate Read.

This week's storyline has dealt with a rare time of self-reflection for the strip's characters as Luann begins to realize that her goal of becoming a schoolteacher might not actually be right for her. She loves working with kids, you see, but she hates boring garbage like teaching them stuff. Her housemate, best friend, and mean judgmental busybody Bernice is helping her navigate this important realization:

For years it's been clear to anybody who cares to notice that Bernice would make a terrible psychologist, but this is the first indication I've seen that Team Evans might be aware of this. Dare I hope that something good might actually happen in Luann? (I've hoped for good things in bad strips before. One of the gifts these threads have given me is the knowledge that life is made of disappointment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Junk Drawer is a pretty good single panel strip by Ellis Rosen. It is published every whenever Ellis feels like it, usually once a week these days.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Every story has at least one panel of lovingly drawn food. It always looks so good. You can get hungry reading this strip.

I vote we take Bernice on a cruise and push her over the rail.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Knowing the structure MW generally follows, it is strange that we got the Mary Worth Victory Lap last week and now instead of moving on we seem to be starting a new arc with the same characters facing the same issues. We should be getting introduced to the next one, or seeing one of the short intermission ones that are resolved in a week or two.

It was a decoy Victory Lap to fool you into thinking the arc was finished. A real Mary Worth Victory Lap is never over so quickly.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

If I was in charge of the comics, I think I'd find Curtis a new writer, it needs a fresh voice. I'd say Tauhid, and he'd be good because he can write realistic children voices, but also I'd worry I'm just saying Tauhid because he's like the only young black person on the comics page right now.

Probably. But also Tauhid would absolutely kill it with a Kwanzaa story.

Cobalt-60 posted:

My big change would be: no zombie strips. If the creator isn't doing any actual work besides signing their name, let the actual workers start a successor strip. Keeps profits and control in the hands of actual creatives, and ensures there's turnover, instead of

I don't know how effective any changes would be, because I don't know who reads the strips in the paper and online. If it's just old people, keeping reruns going is better; if there's an actual audience that cares, you need some kind of turnover.

Mine would be mostly the same, with one addition. The new creator the strip goes over to would have to be a real person or a duo who can sign their name. No strips made by committee or ghost writers, like we get with Beetle Bailey and the like.

That Luann has a future in Fast Food?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Hell World has a Christian religion? Was there an animal Jesus Christ who was crucified for that world's sins? Was there an animal John the Baptist to act as Animal Jesus's hype man? Was he beheaded by an animal Herod? Do they have a 10 Commandments? Is one of those commandments Thou Shalt Not Kill?

This strip is so phobic about sex and then on the rare occasions it brings it up in a positive way it's so gross

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I know the big news is the Mary Worth thing ("Oh, Wilbur! When you were missing and I thought you were dead, I realized how much I care for you! Please forgive me for arguing with you earlier! Yes, I will marry you!"), I gotta comment on this

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

It's bad enough that the baby's babbling in an actual baby language that the dad can understand, but if the mom can understand it too, THEN WHAT IS THE loving POINT OF THIS STRIP.

He might as well be the Rose Is Rose baby at this point.

Kennel posted:

I hope Wilbur is saved drowned by a mermaid and she becomes a regular character.

FTFY

Everything old is new again

Love it

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Awww, RIP Lupin. You were a good kitty.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

They're going to blow through a lot of paper if they insist on having a separate page for each question.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure the deal with Harry Dinkle is the same deal with St. Lisa of Cancerbean. Character creep. Lisa started out as a normal person with normal problems who, unfortunately, got cancer. Things were rough for a while, but she beat it. Yay! But her cancer arc got some attention and Batiuk needs attention so he can keep selling his strip to papers, so... Lisa's cancer came back! And this time she went to CONGRESS! And this time there was medical fuckupery! And she DIED!!! Oh no! And a strip called "Funky Winekerbean" doing a serious cancer arc ending in the death of a main character also generated a lot of attention. So! We need the attention and can't leave that there, Les has to mourn Lisa! And write books about Lisa! And go on tours talking about Lisa! And does charity walks for Lisa! And sometimes Lisa comes back as a ghost to save Les from death or watch him gently caress his new wife or whatever! Les generally gives the impression that he thinks he is the only person on earth whose loved one died of cancer not because we are supposed to think he is a smug self-absorbed dick, but because Batiuk is still chasing that dragon and can't let it go.

Same thing happened to Harry Dinkle. Started out as a regular band leader with foibles. Band leaders IRL identified with his bandleader shenanigans like leading a band in bad weather or having to fundraise or dealing with students. They cut out Dinkle strips and put them on their walls and bought Dinkle coffee cups or whatever. But oh no! It's attention! So now Harry Dinkle gets ironic hearing loss! And, um, I don't know! All the IRL band leaders agree that he's the best band leader, right? Or why would they cut out his strips? So now he's the undisputed God King of musical pursuits, as all high school band leaders rightfully should be! Right??? YOU IDENTIFY WITH AND LOVE THIS poo poo, RIGHT??? BUY THE MERCH PLEASE NEWSPAPER COMICS DON'T PAY WHAT THEY USED TO OH GOD OH PLEAS

Anyhoo

Why go to a special workshop just to fill out a test and add up my own score and read my own results? I can take a Buzzfeed quiz and get the same thing and they'll even add up the score for me and I might even get to be a faerie queen or something.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

No I'm pretty sure he started out a a comically ridiculous band teacher when the strip was a wacky gag strip set in high school.

He was as normal as people get in a gag strip. The point is he was just a band teacher, not the All-Knowing World-Famous Emperor of Symphony

Do not, under any circumstances, discuss your results with the lady running the workshop, whose job it is to give career advice, who works in a school and might have some idea of how big a deal your misgivings about being a school teacher are.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Just kiiiissss. KIIIIISSSSSSSS!!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Even from beyond the grave, Wilbur finds ways to make everything worse for Estelle than they have to be, convincing her he died by suicide because she turned him down.

No, but really, what value did this "workshop" provide that staying home and taking an online quiz would not? Even at the beginning when it looked like Luann might get some personalized guidance, it just came down to giving her a self-test anyway. And even telling someone, "You would make a good Teacher/Lawyer/Ballerina" isn't helping them find work.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 15, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Did Sassy get rebooted as a cat? I'm just about certain that she was a dog, back in the days of the jackelrod.

I was thinking the same. Rusty's dog Sassy used to be, well, a dog. Not an especially attractive dog, but a dog all the same. (Anybody still have that panel of Sassy and it just says "SASSY!" at the bottom? It was beautiful.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I was far too busy this week with work to even think of trying to keep up with this thread while it was in the grasp of Wilburmania. I have today off, though, and am caught up. I know you guys missed Luann. Here's the catch-up:

"Emotional labor isn't real labor,"
- The brain trust in the GC Commentariat

Nice

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Okay, Greg, WE can't see what lies beyond the border of the middle panel, but Tiff CAN. Tiff can see Stef that whole time. She knows they're both there.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

while i'm uncertain why anyone would send hatemail to a child to begin with, doubly why the hell aren't her parents throwing it out before it gets to her

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ask Wil Wheaton.

Or that kid that played Baby Darth Vader

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Has this Mary Worth plot turned stupid as hell? Yes. Has it also been riveting? Yes. To me, anyway. As far as I'm concerned, if Moy wants to veer this strip hard into balls-out crazy, that's fine with me. Just don't expect Mary to ever give good advice or for the "happy endings" to actually be happy to anyone who isn't a meddling old bag.

Anyways, today Estelle and Wilbur Jr are bawling their eyes out, but Mary's eyes are dry as the desert. She lives for this poo poo.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Clearly a man who does not believe that (college level!) Cheer is a real sport writing what he thinks a cheerleader would say about why Cheer is a real sport.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

That's almost good advice. This Mary Worth advised a person to stay with their borderline abusive alcoholic boyfriend who threatened to murder her beloved cat.

When a little old man's beloved dog died, Mary bullied him relentlessly into immediately replacing it with a new dog, even though he wasn't ready and didn't want to.

Les would bum Mary out with his constant moping, so she'd push him into getting a new wife to replace Lisa ASAP, regardless of where he was in his grieving process. (Mary, Les, and Batiuk will all have forgotten that Les already has a replacement wife.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

this mary worth storyline has swung around to kicking rear end, actually. embrace madness

This is where I am. It's stupid as gently caress. It never passes up the chance to do something infuriating. Mary will never give good advice. This is Moy's design. Lean in

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

gently caress yeah, Loretta.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

I'm just going to leave this here:

In case someone wants it.

...kind of

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

why does Savarna want to murder the Walkers again

She heard Phantom yelling about how worried he is about his kid and reasoned he won't have to feel bad about the kid if there is no kid

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

What is that he's playing?

I have a vague memory of trying that game as a kid and eventually rejecting it because it has too much math. And now that I have remembered that I will look up the rules and see how much math child me considered to be too much.

Jesus Christ, Kid. :ughh:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 15, 1952

I don't understand what's happening here.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days July 31, 1958

Shut the gently caress up, Beeman.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ha ha, gently caress yeah, Gary

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mordok ships Tiffany with Gunther. Not that you need to have an alternate ship in mind to hate this poo poo.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

Someone must find them amusing, They just totally confuse me.

It helps A LOT that Charles Boyce appears to be a really sweet dude. So there's that morbid curiosity/WTF factor of "What am I even looking at right now," but also unironically pulling for a nice man who's trying to live his dream, or at the very least do a hobby he seems to like.

Murdstone posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but yes, it seems this would be easily beaten in court based almost entirely on the fact that he's a confirmed con artist and has no real evidence that it was his idea that was stolen.

I know civil has different standards than criminal but I still think there's not much standing here. Apparently he hasn't even filed anything so I think the point is he's trying to get a free payday.

Of course, this whole situations should not have happened because Vidpa should never have read the drat story in the first place, much less published it.

The only evidence he's even given is the picture of the two dogs in the story next to a picture of two dogs he says he drew, but they obviously weren't two dogs he drew way back when because they were on the same poster board as Sarah's two dogs. He hasn't even shown any of the pictures he allegedly had around the studio back then.

So what I'm saying is can I go to the Rex Morgan syndicate and tell them I was a little girl drawing two dogs way back in the 80's and hold up a picture of me as a little girl in the 80's and win some kind of settlement?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Here's your weekly Mary Worth recap.

Life's too short to continue putting your precious energy into a friendship (or romantic relationship) with someone who thinks his wants and desires are the only ones that matter.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess Team Evans got jealous of Sally Forth. We're looking back on olden times this week.

The art is pretty ugly, but at least it looks like it was actually drawn and not just copy and pasted from a Luann asset library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

He did have a stroke a few years back if I remember right. He got better though.

And while Brooke was always a horndog, I'm convinced that the stroke is what flipped his switch to Eternal Turbo-Pervert.