Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Happy new year, comic strip thread!

As forumsposter davidspackage mentioned, posting comics day after day can become a big effort. BUT, if the strips you're posting are being syndicated on the Comics Kingdom or GoComics websites, a little automation can save you a bunch of daily toil. Here are a couple of simple scripts I threw together one day, being used by several of this thread's regular posters, which can be run to do all of that for you: it fetches each comic you've listed, uploads it to imgur, and spits out the bbcode of a complete post, ready to copy-paste into a posting box here on the forums. These are bash scripts that will work natively on Linux or MacOS, and (less conveniently) will also work under WSL on Windows. On most systems, the only prerequisite you'll need is this imgur upload script, which you'll have to put in the same directory from which you're running these.

Automatic comic fetching-uploading labor saving scripts!
Comics Kingdom: https://pastebin.com/igsZqsrS
GoComics: https://pastebin.com/GsZqyNfy

Now, I know that unless you're a sysadmin or other technical type, getting these going can be a little... non-obvious. So if you're interested in using these, please feel free to PM me for assistance in getting set up. And if any techies in the thread want to take a stab at rewriting these to be more user friendly, please be my guest -- a nice cross-platform python app, say, or even just a Powershell version so Windows goons won't need to mess around with WSL anymore.

Bizarro is a gag-a-day strip, almost always single-panel, which relies heavily on puns and visual humor. Every strip has hidden symbols scattered somewhere around the drawing -- the number beside the artists' signatures tells you how many there are.

The Family Circus features the adorable adventures of a large family, based heavily on the real-life family of Bil Keane in the 1960s. Since Bil's death in 2011, his son Jeff has been riding his corpse carrying on the work. Many current strips are re-runs from decades ago, sometimes slightly modernized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Comics Kingdom is having issues, so here's the Sunday one I get from GoComics:

FoxTrot

FoxTrot is a sitcom strip about the Fox family, most frequently featuring nerdy young Jason. It's been around since the 1980s but went to Sundays-only in 2006.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Oh hey, Comics Kingdom unborked itself.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Now that's a seriously cool art style, and suddenly I'm wondering what other other strips that have been done in a medium other than ink on paper (or the modern digital equivalent).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slammy posted:

Up Front October 17, 1944
Set in WWII, “Up Front” features infantrymen Willie and Joe and first ran in “Stars and Stripes” in 1944 before being syndicated.

Cool, a car running on wood gas! With a little ingenuity and some hacked-together hardware, it's actually possible to run a vehicle engine on ordinary firewood. It sucks in a lot of ways compared to ordinary fuel, but it'll work, so it pops up in times of severe fuel supply problems (such as war zones). Wood gas cars were all over Europe during WWII, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the US military having to resort to it for their jeeps.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We have always been at war with Charterstone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Vargo posted:

Curtis

Wait.... what?

I mean, you have to admit this is the best "exchanging cheese with a haunted stump" story you've read lately.

Bizarro

Snow looks like she needs to cut down on the caffeine.

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

We ARE still in the story that Mozz is writing in the blank book, right? Because if so, this is getting kind of meta.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

tinaun posted:

kill all strips over 25 years old - can never be re-run or rebooted

syndicate val

:hmmyes:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I dunno if that many goons are actually young enough to need to hear this, but 30 is nothing. In the handful of years since I turned 30 I've grown and changed in ways that I never could've in my twenties, and I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been. So Mo, go sit on an egg.

Speaking as a 40-something, aging (so far) isn't quite as bad as this scene from a movie of my youth would suggest, but it's still something to keep in mind...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX6z6djbD4&t=82s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

He's too young to know about "employees must wash hands".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wilbur's coffin will be carved and painted to resemble a giant sandwich.

Bizarro

[The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Ces on Medium Large: "This may be one of my favorite Sally Forth Sundays of all time (and that may include when we had Godzilla whip a train full of the characters at King Ghidorah’s head)."

I agree with Ces, this one's amazing. (Be sure to click through to the Medium Large entry to see all the classic panels this was based on.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message "lol Wilbur Dead,"
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

Call the maker of big Dagwoods,
The muscular one, and bid him stack
On kitchen-plates meat between bread.

Drunk wanderings, meet the law of averages.
The only emperor is the emperor of sandwiches.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics
The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

But if they dropped something in there, they must have been there at least once before, when he might easily have seen that the curtains were AAAGH why am I arguing with a poorly-adapted children's story from 43 years ago

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

For context on this one, in January 2004, a new space policy (the "Vision for Space Exploration" had just been announced. It had plenty of vision (including a Mars mission and, yes, a Moon base) but it was short on funding. By 2010 or so, basically everything in it except for the Orion crew capsule had been cancelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_for_Space_Exploration

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth in "Ted of Two Worlds"

Is the "one word in a year" thing true? Did Ted get mostly-ignored for a while?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

Huh, I'd never heard of a Topping out ceremony before. Neat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

They did one of those for the International Space Station when they attached the module that brought the station to its full "height", during the STS-97 mission. Bringing along an actual tree wasn't feasible, so they made do with a picture. :3:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Huh. Code Oscar's a real thing.

This is making me wonder if there's some sort of falling-object sensor that can be mounted below ship's railings that would sound an alarm on the bridge. Maybe they could even trigger a live video view of the water below.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The main Comics Kingdom site is still having major issues, but https://v7.comicskingdom.net/ is up and running. The only difference seems to be that for strips that are available in both square and horizontal-strip aspect ratios, this version of the site will provide the horizontal ones, which explains why Bizarro is longer and skinnier than normal today.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I know thou art out there, mine ears hear the rush of thy breath!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Did Sassy get rebooted as a cat? I'm just about certain that she was a dog, back in the days of the jackelrod.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

goatface posted:

I hope he gets found by a hideous old crone who locks him in her seaside hut and holds him there until he agrees to marry her so she can get a visa.

After he is released from captivity and returns home, he finds a stack of suitors waiting for Estelle, so he defeats them all in competition by being the only one who can pierce an entire stack of sandwiches with one of those sandwich spike... things, I don't know what they're called but you know what I mean, the little spears that hold a sandwich together, and upon reflection, this whole Odysseus thing isn't as funny as it was in my head so I'm dropping it here and oh hey look out behind you here come some single-panel comics

Bizarro

The Family Circus

In this work, the artist challenges our expectations by re-creating a classic Art Frahm scene, but he deliberately omits the defining element of Frahmianist art. It's a provocative piece, even though the entire image is thoroughly mundane, and the off-color imagery exists only in the viewer's mind. Keane is truly the Warhol of our age. :wotwot:

(For those who don't recognize the name, Art Frahm was a pin-up artist who, decades after his death, gained a bit of Internet fame for his slightly odd fetish. Namely, his favorite subject was a woman carrying grocery bags exactly like Daddy is here, so she don't have a free hand to pull up her underwear which has somehow fallen to her ankles. As far as I know, this link is what first brought Frahm to the Internet's attention -- it's very tame stuff by modern standards but I'm going to tag it :nws: just to be safe: https://www.lileks.com/institute/frahm/index.html)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Great now we're starting over :mad:

Perhaps we'll get a total of three versions of the story.

Run Phantom Run.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Medenmath posted:

This is a very dumb gag but it got a good laugh out of me.

Vintage Valiant (May 01, 1949)

drat, that's a harsh slam on Oom out of nowhere by the narrator.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Doomykins posted:

"The editorial staff of this magazine informs with pain in our hearts that Pál Pusztai, cartoonist, died of heart failure on September 10th in Dubronik, Yugoslavia, at the age of 51."

And now I'm in that weird spot of being sad to hear that someone has died, even though it happened many years before I was even born. (Is there a word for that?)

Thank you for posting Jucika, it's a delight.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slammy posted:

And He Did! February 7, 1919

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Tinkersons does deadpan humor really well.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Vargo posted:

For people who use Powered Descent's imgur upload script, have you noticed that it isn't working for Comics Kingdom lately (starting from when CK had all that downtime)?

That's odd, it's been working just fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Somebody reboot Pickles, it's been stuck in a loop for two days now.