Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Happy new year, thread! I feel like my comics were already pretty well described, but I'll add some more inf here and there.

Also re: Boondocks, I'd like to reiterate my point that part of what makes this strip age poorly is that it claims to have revolution in mind, but at least 60% of the output is complaining about a celebrity doing an annoying thing. In this regard, it is the perfect leftist strip.

Breaking Cat News

BCN is one of my favorited but it also overthinks its own premise a ton, and never really got over being a webcomic. By that I mean, the concept is funny on its own, but the strip insists on doing ~*worldbuilding*~ storylines and constantly adding new characters that the art style is too simple to handle. (There are two unrelated orange cats that look exactly alike, there's an in-universe soap opera with one character that looks just like Puck, etc.)

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

On the other hand, Phoebe's world-building and new characters are almost always fun and interesting, and the daily gag strips are the ones that can get lazy.

Wallace the Brave

Everyone loves Wallace the Brave and I think with the introduction of Rose "the smart one" rounding out the cast, it's really hit its stride. Visit Will Henry's wine and chesses shop if you're ever in Newport, RI.

Curtis

Curtis is Curtis. Cartooning is usually good, writing is almost always terrible, frequently forgets to tell jokes and/or resolve stories. Regularly drops into reruns lately, causing some (me) to speculate about the artists' health.

Right now the daily strips are in the middle of the annual Kwanzaa storyline, which is an original out-of-canon story that has nothing to do with the rest of Curtis (and probably should not be the example Curtis strip in the OP, but I don't think anyone really cares.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

LvK posted:

afaik it got optioned, which could turn out as nothing but does mean that it's on the table for getting a cartoon.

Personally, if it happens, I kind of hope it goes back to the "Heavenly Nostrils" name because that was some pretty distinctive stuff.

Nickelodeon bought the rights and as far as I know, debut is set for fall of this year

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Doesn't this dude hate Mark? Is he the guy Mark stole the laptop from? Or the guy that put him in a livestream boxing match? Or both?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Estelle: Run.

I still think Moy and Brigman are playing the long game but it's too goddamn long at this point. Damage is well done. Whoever it was that said just because Moy/Brigman know exactly what they're doing doesn't mean we'll get any narrative satisfaction was exactly right.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This is a civil suit at best! Why would this have a major press conference? Why does anyone give a poo poo?!

Alhazred posted:

Zofie's World

I wasn't sold on Zofie's World at first but this one got me.
Do you have any more of The Good Invader? I really liked that strip.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I didn't vote in the thread poll because the answer is E: All of the Above.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Calaveron posted:

Plus he's hanging out with that child because he's in the Big Brother program, it's literally volunteer work

Was this ever actually confirmed as an official, in-canon thing, or was it just an excuse that we all made up that got colloquially adopted? And if it is the in-universe explanation, is it "like" a Big Brother, or was Dustin actually assigned this kid by the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization?

As far as I know, there's no official agency relationship or even like, babysitting money. He just hangs out with this kid.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Honestly it feels like the Mary Worth team has backed themselves into a corner. They get a lot of attention from Wilbur being lovely, they know everyone loves to hate Wilbur, but if they show Wilbur getting his comeuppance or facing permanent consequences, that well dries up. (And "a lot of attention" is relative here - we're still talking about Mary Worth.)

Come to think of it, it really feels like the last storyline was heading for a different ending, and then abruptly changed so it could be extended into this one. Seems like it wasn't planned.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Wait.... what?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Still just mind-boggled at how dumb that Billingsley story is, I'm not sure why he insists on doing these stories every year with the arbitrary time limit of "must fit into Kwanzaa" and then just sort of... gets bored and wanders off halfway through.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis is I guess just lying about copyright dates now.

If I was in charge of the comics, I think I'd find Curtis a new writer, it needs a fresh voice. I'd say Tauhid, and he'd be good because he can write realistic children voices, but also I'd worry I'm just saying Tauhid because he's like the only young black person on the comics page right now.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

coronatae posted:

This strip ran til 1983. I cannot wait for Beeman in the late 1960s

I was wondering the other day if it was still new strips until the 80s or if it went into reruns at some point. Slammy, any idea?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I keep getting 404 errors every time I try to access any page on Comics Kingdom, I can only assume that all the extra traffic from goons trying to see if Wilbur really fell overboard is crashing the site.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Just sitting here crying over a cat I did not know who inspired a newspaper comic they I post on these dead gay forums.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Lupin is a good kitten

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Comics Kingdom now has an RIP WILBUR section in their store where you can buy Wilbur merch and framed copies of the death strips:

https://shop.comicskingdom.com/collections/rip-wilbur-weston?s=09

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Honestly, Billingsley's thing against horror movies makes even less sense than his thing against rap.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Comic Kingdom is borked again so no Curtis right now

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

https://twitter.com/iamsteranko/status/1482937594451312643
https://twitter.com/iamsteranko/status/1482938892047335428

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hidden somewhere in that Twitter thread between Jules, Teaberry, and David Willis is something close to an admission that I really was Dr Camel

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

"lack of long-term focus" is a real glass-houses situation here, Billingsley

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Tinkersons and A&J both made me laugh really drat hard today

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

For people who use Powered Descent's imgur upload script, have you noticed that it isn't working for Comics Kingdom lately (starting from when CK had all that downtime)?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

yeah i've been using it the whole time just fine

Powered Descent posted:

That's odd, it's been working just fine for me.

Okay, maybe I should just rest the parameters for Curtis and see if it works again

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MariusLecter posted:

Oh, it's like the difference between 'flirting and sexual harassment' comic.

Seeing "Modern Jucika" has made me appreciate even more just what a perfect line the original Jucika walked between cute/lewd but never (okay rarely) outright misogynistic.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

There's a good 30-40 years between the popularity of either of those groups, but whatever.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

readingatwork posted:

OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!

(No I won't ever shut up about this. Weird Peanuts lore too fun to not bring up when given an opportunity.)

I thought Death Ray was banned?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MariusLecter posted:

I think you guys are overthinking the Pearls Before Swine.
Polarization drives engagement in all forms of media and it does in fact drive people apart even if there are irreconcilable differences between people in the lower class it definitely behooves the wealthy to keep us all at our own throats.

Hate watching the news, youtube videos, tiktok, doomscrolling, etc all drives ad revenue. Delicious delicious ad revenue.

e;
Of course there's a lot more things going on but Pastis just has the space of a newspaper comic to work with.

Pastis has been slowly turning more and more conservative over the years as he gets older, in the sense of "everyone is so offended, why can't I say things I wanna say?" so I'm not really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says "far left is just like far right." He's exactly the kind of dipshit who would believe in horseshoe theory and swear he's a liberal.

FBI-mily Circus was funny though

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I really do not understand what happened in Mark Trail at all.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Curtis has been even more nonsense than normal this week

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Yeah, it's important to recognize that Dr Foobdad is less mad about Michael driving around as much as he is mad that Michael went driving in his precious midlife crisis mobile, the one everyone told him was a stupid and irresponsible purchase. Michael hasn't yet earned the right to be as dumb and careless as his dad (according to his dad).

Breaking Cat News is in reruns this week while Georgia Dunn takes some time off.
She posted on Twitter that her editor decided this week would be a "Lupin's Greatest Hits" week instead of the normal straight-through week of reruns we normally would get.
So enjoy this RIP Lupin week!

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Are we still loving doing this? And didn't Curtis basically poo poo all over Michelle for being a "likes addict" in this strip like six months ago?