Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Stuck out of state and away from my computer thanks to Covid wreaking havoc on the airlines but I'm still alive and planning to pick up posting Crabgrass, Blind Alley, etc later next week. Here are some comic summaries you can put on the OP if you want though:

Crabgrass:

A slice of life comic about two BFFs from the guy who made A Problem Like Jamal. A genuinely charming and funny thread favorite.

Old School Peanuts:

It's Peanuts but back when it was actually funny.

Calvin and Hobbes:

Do I really need to explain this one? Is there a single person on the planet who doesn't know what this comic is??

Blind Alley:

Birds aren't real you idiot. You absolute moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaaaaaand I'm back! I should have been back over a week ago but the Covid flight cancellations screwed me over pretty bad so I'm just now back home. I am so behind on so many things right now. :negative: Anywho, today it's just the current comics to get us back to the present. I'll start posting the old ones where I left off tomorrow to keep things manageable. Apologies in advance for how long this post may get

When we last left Crabgrass Miles had convinced Kevin that Santa was real and they are now working to get him back on the good list.

:same: but with people telling me about their dreams.

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 6, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
And now the remaining Blind Alley strips.

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 7, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 10-11, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Esplanade posted:

What would you do with the power of the comics syndicate behind you?

For one thing I'd leverage my backlog of old strips into a streaming service you can subscribe to for a monthly fee. I'm genuinely shocked that there's nothing like that out on the market at the moment. Then I'd use the new streaming service as a testing ground for new talent and slowly start pushing out the more tedious legacy strips in favor of fresher ideas. Like, I know you all love Heathcliff (and so do I honestly) but it's a classic example of a strip that only exists because newspapers are a particularly weird medium that lets bad comics ride on momentum for decades.

E: Also, cartoons made instantly for Wallace the Brave, Crabgrass, Peanuts (normal-dog Snoopy era), Dustin (now super gay and progressive just to make Kelley mad), and maybe even a reboot of Vater and Sohn.

Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 8, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 12-13, 1990)

Blind Alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 8, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Don't even follow Mary Worth regularly but YAAAY! :yaycat:

Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 9, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 14-15, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Also we have big Crabgrass news!

quote:

What does this mean to you?

Well, I'll tell you. First of all, yes, it does mean no new strips for a bit. Leading up to Crabgrass appearing in newspapers I've been hard at work preparing for a daily update schedule. However doing so, along with putting together a sales kits for the strip, and working on the first Crabgrass book has burned through a considerable chunk of my established buffer. And so in order to rebuild that buffer (and also to give myself a much needed break) I'll be taking the next couple of months off from updating properly on social media. I'll continue to post things like Teen Years (as I find the time) as well as the occasional Crabgrass preview or process video. But mostly I'll just be gearing up and getting everything ready for the big launch!

I realize many of you may decide to cancel your patronage during this time. I get it. No hard feelings if you do, and I hope you'll consider coming back again. My Patrons are the entire reason I'm able to even do this for a living and I hate to see any of you go. I'll always be grateful for the support you've given and I hope you know how integral you've been to making a real life-long dream come true.

And for those of you who choose to stick around, I want to thank you in advance and I'll try my best to make it worth it. You'll still get the strip a day before anyone once it launches and I'll keep you posted about anything important that happens with the strip in the mean time.

This is it, guys. It's time for Crabgrass to sink or swim. Whatever the outcome it's been an incredible privilege and a sincere pleasure to share my work with you.

P.S. please feel free to reply with any questions you have. I'll answer them in the comments.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 16-17, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aw man... :(

Crabgrass is on break for a while

Old School Peanuts (Apr 11, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 18-19, 1990)

Blind Alley

:suspense:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Old School Peanuts (Apr 12, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 22-21, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Wait, is that the girl from Cul De Sac in the upper-right corner there?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break for a while.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 13, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 22-23, 1990)

Solid visual gag. I approve.

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Old School Peanuts (Apr 14, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 24-25, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 14, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Old School Peanuts (Apr 15, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 26-27, 1990)

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 16, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 28-29, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Standard dunking on Dustin aside, the art is pretty good today. Also that’s an unusually good joke to the point where I thought it was an edit at first.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 17, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 30-31, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*man from local tribe walks out and slowly pushes him back into the sea*

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I love the VERY understated Christian iconography.

I love that the Christian iconography has gently caress all to do with the themes and story of NGE.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 18, 1953)

And so we take another major step away from what the comic started as and towards what it will eventually become.

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 1-2, 1990)

Blind Alley

A perfect example of how to deal with a bully that neither treats them like a monster nor excuses their behavior. I love Blind Alley so much.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 17, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on Break but check out the remake Tauhid did of his first strip:

Original:

Remake:

quote:

Sales Kit Strips

So when you get syndicated there’s a thing called a sales kit that you have to put together. It’s basically six weeks of strips that every paper runs when they pick up your comic. When you pick these comics it’s a good idea do redo any that come from early in the run so the art matches with the current style. It’s also a chance to punch up the writing a little bit. Above is the very first Crabgrass strip redone for syndication. You can see the difference in art style here more than any other strip.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 19, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 3-4, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break but I'm happy to announce that it will start appearing in newspaper starting March 28th. Tauhid has no idea which newspapers it will appear in though so grab a couple extra copies for goons if you see one in the wild.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 5-6, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is still on break but he released another revised comic from the upcoming run of newspaper strips:

Original:

Revised:

quote:

Here’s another early strip reworked. This time around I decided to I didn’t like the idea of Kevin dragging and bossing Miles around so much. Miles used to be much more of a follower but I think he keeps pace with Kevin more readily these days.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 21, 1953)

Snoopy's evolution continues.

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 7-8, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 22, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 9-10, 1990)

:owned:

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

We did not read Ethan Frome in my 11th grade American Literature class. We did, however, read The Scarlet Letter, which is an absolute turd of a book. The lesson here is that if you have to read any book about some dour New Englanders, brother, it's gonna suck!

Forget about his essay, Charlie Brown, you need to be asking Linus "I remember when you were a newborn baby; why are we in the same grade now? I remember Lucy was a baby too, and I was already me then. What's happening? Am I in Hell?"

Friendly reminder for people new to the thread that the Peanuts kids are all part of a government research program designed to breed eternally young supersoldiers (also other genetic abominations) and are living on a military base somewhere that functions as a fake town where their development (or lack thereof) can be monitored. The program was pretty lovely though and ultimately failed in it's intended purpose which is why the kids all stop aging around 9 years old and are kind of messed up.

Evidence:
-The kids clearly all age into the same age cohort but don't progress further including many who are introduced as literal babies.
-In addition to seeing the kids age in real time people will also occasionally comment on the year or current events which are always those happening at the time the strip was printed in. Which means time is passing normally and not being extended out for dramatic effect.
-Snoopy evolves over the course of the strip from a normal dog into something somewhat resembling a person. Eventually he is capable of sentient thought and writing books.
-There is at least one tree in town that is sentient, can move, and has a real beef with kites for some reason.
-Many of the kids posses unusual talents. Schroeder is a piano prodigy, Lucy is a shrewd manipulator, and Linus is shown later in the early strips to have superhuman intelligence.
-Many of the kids experience mental instability indicative of either bad genetics or just not coping well with being a 40 year old elementary student. For example CB is depressed, Lucy is a sociopath, and Linus has an inclination towards violence and conspiratorial thinking.
-Lucy at one point confirms that her grandmother worked with the military in some capacity during WWII. Which does... interesting things to the timeline but I won't get into that now. The important thing is that she has a family member with military connections which you'd expect if the strip takes place on a military facility of some kind.
-Lucy herself is confirmed in one strip to be taking monthly checks from the CIA for an undisclosed reason (my guess is doing some MK Ultra poo poo on CB)
-Some of the kids have literal numbers for names, 555 95472 being the most prominent.

OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!

(No I won't ever shut up about this. Weird Peanuts lore too fun to not bring up when given an opportunity.)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 22, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hey don't forget that the school building itself is sentient, and at one point dropped a brick from itself onto the head of someone who insulted Lucy, seeing as how it likes her.

I also forgot to mention that Linus has an identical twin brother born [redacted] years later who is literally named "Rerun". Methinks somebody was trying to make Linus again but do it right this time. :thunk:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Spud. My dude. Stop eating the demonic sandwiches.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 23, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 11-12, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 24, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 13-14, 1990)

No Blind Alley today but here's a cool illustration he did.

I for one am glad that hobo kid eventually finds his way into town.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure if it's already been posted but here's a pretty good video on the whole "Garfield as a Lovecraftian monstrosity" phenomenon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2C5R3FOWdE

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 15-16, 1990)

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

But... He recognizes that the position he writes about would be considered communism... Does he not think communism is leftist?! Is he... What is he saying?!

Most people, even fairly left-leaning ones, don't read theory or know what terms like "communism", "leftist" or "liberal" actually mean because most people just read the newspaper a bit in the morning or watch MSNBC over dinner.

That said, I think the author is commenting on the way the media avoids talking about class issues rather than actually commenting on communism. The "communism" comment is less about the actual political theory and more a commentary on the way the right will shut down any left wing idea under the pretext of it being communist regardless of it's actual content. Which is true so I don't think it's fair to call Pastis a centrist just yet (at least based on this strip alone).

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break but here's another revised strip:

Original:

Revised:

quote:

Here’s one that I really like the original. The art is just too far behind the curve to print as is.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 26, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 17-18, 1990)

No Blind Alley today but he has the next 6 or so pages on his Patreon here for those interested.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 27, 1953)

I think this is one of my favorite Peanuts strips based on that sad expression alone. :ohdear:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 19-20, 1990)

No Blind Alley today.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 28, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 21-22, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 29, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 23-24, 1990)

Blind Alley continues to be a mood.

Support Adam's Patreon here.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 30, 1953)

Can you though? You're really bad at flying things.

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 25-26, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (May 1, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 27-28, 1990)

No Blind Alley today.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 30, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 2, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 29-30, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

:crossarms:

I love how many deeply weird elements there are to this strip and how understated they all are.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 1, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Some gizmo

The finest comedy 1987 had to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork