Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn is a strip from 1930s Germany about a father/son pair and their mostly extremely wholesome everyday adventures. It was originally published in a weekly Berlin paper, in the early years of the Nazi regime - well before the war, but well into the time period, too. For the most part, that's background information, as the strip itself is almost pointedly apolitical.

Actually, about that: I've been noticing gaps in my collection here and there, but I just now came across a tiny one-man publisher who sourced strips from the original papers for his own complete edition, and he claims to include some that have been traditionally omitted by publishers where the historical background comes through a little more clearly. His ebooks are very cheap, I'm probably going to look into this.

Goethe - respect! (28/1936)

Actually in this one you could probably draw some political conclusions on the featured books and how they're treated.

I'm not sure if I can assume everyone's familiar: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is the German writer, on par with Shakespeare in terms of their significance in literature, history etc. Interestingly enough, one whose writings and ideas the Nazis never quite managed to fit into their program of German cultural superiority.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The doctor told him: not too strong (29/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, a foob that is good

in part for resisting the temptation to spin it into MY KIDS ARE SO UNGRATEFUL like it usually does, but also just in general, who'd have thought.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The shot putter is an Olympics guest

1936 politics are showing through again. The Summer Olympics in Berlin were taken as a huge propaganda opportunity, and the Nazis were very keen on them, so much like the Winterhilfe in an earlier strip (you remember: the no-Jewish-recipients forced charity), Erich Ohser was made to advertise the Olympic games in the two weeks leading up to the event. I think he managed it quite well, though. It's much more Vater und Sohn with an Olympics background than an Olympics comic with Vater und Sohn shoved in.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a particular athlete. Berlin policeman Hans Woellke did win gold, breaking the record held by Jack Torrance (no relation, one presumes), but I don't know if he was handled as the clear favourite or what, and it might very well just be a generic athlete figure.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 3, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

So It Seems March 19, 1952
A short-lived strip from the early 1950s.

I've said this before about Those Were The Days, but this has even stronger MAD energy, and I'm slowly starting to suspect that MAD maybe wasn't so much unique as simply kept that style through the ages.

God forbid we introduce a new character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

For the people in this thread who are scanning old comic books: What do you use?

I've been advised that flatbed scanners are a poor tool for the job, and trying to find more information about the alternatives.
I have access to one of these:

They take fairly high-res photos of the pages from above with even lighting, and they usually do a decent job of straightening out any bends in the image from spine curvature, although it's a bit hit or miss. Some models have additional features like a glass plate that presses the pages flat. If you have a university or scientific library around you, they'll probably have one that you can use, and public libraries may as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

manero posted:

I currently use a flatbed but I've been contemplating cobbling one of these together: https://www.instructables.com/Bargain-Price-Book-Scanner-From-A-Cardboard-Box/
Hate to say it but while that looks simple in the pictures I bet it's really fiddly to adjust each part so it works right, and paradoxically you'd probably have an easier time of it if you already have experience setting up a more involved DIY one (like the one linked in the article, that looks decent at a glance). Particularly using a cheapo desk lamp strikes me as really not up to the job. Though, depends on the bulb, I suppose.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Fear gets you into gear (31/1936)

not pictured: Jesse Owens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah so how did he pull off the moustache thing then, James Randi?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Wasp handling (32/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Mark Trail is getting weird

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Esplanade posted:

What would you do with the power of the comics syndicate behind you?
Try and get a pulp adventure strip going. Editorial guidelines would mandate no character crossovers, no self-referential stuff, and no genre parody. Being a young webcomic creator would be actively detrimental to your chances of getting the job.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Not sure why you'd make this a requirement. Why wouldn't you want someone who practices and shows commitment in their youth?
To be honest it's almost entirely a dunk on Mark Trail, which sucks

but also I do think if your chosen format is irreverent gag-a-day, visual metaphor for your emotional state or pop culture reference, that doesn't exactly qualify you for the kind of basically serious, straight-faced, storyarc-based adventure strip I personally have in mind. I would strive to get all those on the comics page as well instead of the legacy strips in reruns, just the adventure strip would be my pet project. The only people who seem to want to write them are stodgy middle-aged to elderly men though so it is a bit of a dilemma. Like, James Allen sort of had the right basic idea about going to other countries and having dramatic adventures, he just really, really sucked at doing it in multiple separate ways.

I'd probably also try to get someone on Mandrake who has more interesting ideas about a crime-solving magician than "gestures hypnotically", both plotwise and visually. And going into fantasy or sci fi (Flash Gordon) is probably a safer bet than doing a real world based adventure strip anyway.

readingatwork posted:

and maybe even a reboot of Vater and Sohn
Definitely picturing a modern Berlin hipster dad and his son having everyday adventures in coffee and vinyl shops. Actually he's probably a lot like Phoebe's dad.

And speaking of the two

Vater und Sohn: Trying to skip school (34/1936)

I, uh. I guess it's a home remedy?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're really incapable of framing any situation in a context that isn't high school, are they.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Relapsed out of passion (35/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Extremely descriptive inner monologue is also just a huge thing in manga in general, food or not.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

My favorite anime trope is when aliens/creatures from other dimensions eat Japanese food and think it's the most delicious thing in the universe.
Speaking of which the burger and hot dog are one of those wild localization things, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Cador, you numbnuts, we have a routine for these things and it says we send Val!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The gift (36/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The new mirror (37/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alterian posted:

Thought people might be interested in this.
https://www.snufkin.game
I've got some pretty heavy philosophical objections against the idea of Snufkin starring in a video game. Very clever and pretty gimmick on the title image on the site, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: There are limits to gentleness (38/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I juſt flew inne from Pittſburgh / verily a miracle before the Lord

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

that famously stable medium, decades old newsprint

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welcome, stranger, on the island of the Cat God

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No you can't because it takes a specific diet for a few days and flushing the bowels over several hours and there is no way Ed isn't full of poo poo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: An ungrateful one (39/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wonder what World War II did to copper and share prices.

Actually scratch that, I'm now badly curious what Out Our Way was like during WWII :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The burglar (40/1936)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why the gently caress is it colonoscopy week

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus Christ there weren't even Blu-Rays when I was in high school

e: and neither was Donnie Darko out yet

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Merlin is gonna be thrilled that Val has Oom giving the whole game away.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen anything from the real world rendered quite as accurately in a comic strip as that scope.

e: was going to say "why isn't Ed wearing a mask" but remembered what Kelley probably thinks about masks, but if not for coronavirus there's not really any need for the doctor and nurse to be wearing one.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 20, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: It's not easy to be a father (42/1936)

I went with a loose translation of the title: the original is the first half of a famous rhyme by 19th century writer/artist Wilhelm Busch that became an idiom and that literally translates to "it's not hard to become a father, being one certainly is". Much more elegant in German, I assure you: Vater werden ist nicht schwer, Vater sein dagegen sehr.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Poil posted:

Tiff remembers that guy's name, knows his usual, has a nickname for him and even remembers the names of all of his grandchildren...
It's Sergio Aragones.

And they are taking if not his name then certainly his image in vain :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dismas posted:

the thing about this Foob is that (1) I completely buy he got lost in his hometown driving but (2) it just throws into sharp relief how loving dumb the weird half-updates-to-the-modern-day thing is (drawing in seatbelts, whatever, but changing year references to the 2020s like they did a few months back for a sports thing). Now, the kid would probably have a smart phone with GPS!
How likely do you think it is that Lynn would approve of her kids having a smart phone in real life or show it off in a positive way in the strip?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The captivating book (43/1936)

e: argh, missed panel 3 - it's tobacco :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JEFF NO

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Brains vs. brawn (44/1936)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Painful interlude (46/1936)

Staple characters of the traditional Kasperletheater, the German version of a puppet show that exists in many similar expressions across Europe, such as the English Punch and Judy show, include Kasper, the Policeman, the Devil, the Wizard and the Crocodile.