Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

Newspaper Spiderman is about the world's stupidest superhero and the even dumber situations he finds himself in. It ended in March 2019, but reruns keep the magic going. I've slowly been posting old strips starting from 1999, and it's taken me a couple years(with posting a week's worth of comics at a time for A While, but I keep it to one comic a post now) to get to 2018. He's currently returning from the GRONNK arc in Florida and being just barely smarter than a TSA agent.

1979 comics - I post a variety of comics from the St Petersburg Evening Independent. Why that paper? Honestly it's because I was searching for vintage Newspaper Spiderman a couple years ago and it's what came up. The scans I have don't have Sundays, which confuses people occasionally.

Encyclopedia Brown is about the son of a cop who supposedly memorized the entre encyclopedia and uses that knowledge to accuse people of crimes. His logic varies from plausible to really stupid, but nobody's ever going to call him on it or question why he's being brought in to solve crimes, because he's the son of a cop. Each case only lasts a week, so at least it doesn't overstay its welcome. Congrats to whatever goon called flag code as being the answer to this one.
70s NSM is like modern NSM, but in black and white and with an angrier Peter and a wilder MJ. Carole also existed as a "will Peter go after her or MJ???" element but as of last arc she appears to have been written out of the strip.
70s Rex Morgan is better than modern Rex Morgan because things actually happen in it, even if they still take typical soap strip lengths to resolve. We're currently this close to it finally owning this abusive fuckhead, after it's been teasing us about it for months.
70s Mary Worth is like modern MW, except it features a rotating cast of assholes instead of Wilbur being the only rear end in a top hat(I don't think Wilbur even exists yet in the 70s strip).
It's Nancy. You know the drill.

Sometimes I post interesting things I notice elsewhere in the paper. Right now it's a lot of articles about the oil crisis so have a Dear Abby.

Locher Tracy

Locher-Era Dick Tracy is boring at worst, charmingly batshit at best. It's copaganda, of course, but with the tiniest arms you've ever seen.

I don't post it, but in the interest of completeness: Modern Dick Tracy is boring and mostly involves the artists going 'hey, look how many references we can make!', with the stories ending in wet farts. Also sometimes it's about this weird creepy old guy who's married to someone ~50 years his junior. For some weird reason, nobody cared enough to pick up posting it after I stopped a couple years ago. :v:

Apparently someone called Shelly Pleger took over the strip-drawing job from Joe Staton last October? There was an entire Sunday about his retirement and everything.

To top it off, a low-effort edit I couldn't resist:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Origins is a curated selection of Sunday comics posted to Gocomics, usually with commentary. Sometimes there's repeats of stuff it's done before, or overlap with stuff posted by other people here, but I doubt anyone minds.

Footrot Flats

Footrot Flats is mostly focused on the life of Dog on his master's farm in either New Zealand or Australia(I'm not sure if it's meant to be somewhere specific or just vaguely evocative of both). The strip is charming and funny, and also not afraid to show Dog eating the half-rotten corpse of a sheep.

The Lockhorns

The Lockhorns is far funnier than a strip about a bickering boomer couple has any right to be. And considering the artist/writer is a 90 year old woman, it's somehow better at showing how people use(both generally and also specifically holding/interacting with) phones and tablets than a lot of other comics.

Mandrake

Modern Mandrake is an incoherent mess I rarely read. Vintage Mandrake(CK's currently running comics from 1949 or so) is a nicely drawn coherent usually-not-a-mess. Shame about the old-timey racism and sexism, though. Lothar's not in the current arc, but when he pops up, oof.

Johnny Hazard

Johnny Hazard is about a...spy? I'm not actually sure what Johnny's job is. Anyway, it's about the titular Johnny getting into all sorts of high-stakes drama involving a revolving door of ethnic stereotypes(mostly European ethnic stereotypes for once, like Wee Dorrie The Most Scottish Scotsman On Earth and the current arc's "germans just say Herr a lot right"). It's generally pretty good.

90s Overboard

Generally funnier than modern Overboard, and a lot less twee. It does still like to overdo certain jokes, but at least they're jokes. Note the focus on humans and the abscence of talking animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

"you're okay with micromanaging the life of a balding abusive alcoholic so he never faces any consequences, right?"

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: I'll never get tired of 70s fashion ads.

There's also some nothing of a film that I'm sure people forgot by the mid-80s.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Who needs Mark Trail?

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:discourse:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I AM GRANDO posted:

I feel like Wilbur has been there since the 70s.
The real reason whatsherface wants to offload the condos to Mary so badly in the 79 timeline.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CommonShore posted:

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

Elsewhere: drat that's a weird car drawing.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Careful, Narda...it's windy.

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Aww, Lupin. :smith: Good cats always go too soon.

RE: night shift, I did night shift first thing out of school and it was doable for a weird loner like me, but still hard. Biggest problem in my case was that I was in an apartment with paper thin walls and noisy neighbors, and by the end of it I was going lowkey insane any time I got woken up in the middle of sleep. (white noise only does so much, and there's basically no recourse to assholes refusing to keep it down and let you sleep when your sleeping hours are during the day)

I work evenings now(3-11pm) and it's probably my ideal shift, since I can basically wake up and go to bed whenever the gently caress I want & I'm out of the apartment when people are stomping around making the most noise. :v:

RoboRodent posted:

Graveyard shifts are hell and I blame no one for having that be a firm line.

But also i 100% would expect Dustin's family to not let him sleep during the day. He has to share to a bedroom with his grandfather, for chrissakes.
I've heard stories of people who've done night shifts for years and had family who were either incapable of understanding that or were so boomer-brained that they couldn't break the "if you're not up by 7am you're a lazy sack of poo poo who's wasting the day" mentality, resulting in repeated wakeups an hour or two after the night shift worker went to bed. (not coincidentally, these stories usually involve people with families that are either abusive or deeply-toxic-but-not-straight-up-abusive)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

readingatwork posted:

Wait, is that the girl from Cul De Sac in the upper-right corner there?
It sure is! :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Overboard's artist has never been good at noticing when a joke's getting overdone, has he?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

How dare my terrible son offer to take his sister to skating practice? He might enjoy having the freedom of driving for a bit and we can't have that. Also it's his fault that we're a two-car household where we don't want him driving the fun car and made no contingency plans for if one of us was incapacitated.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard is currently unavailable due to CK making GBS threads itself. I'm pretty sure Mandrake only loaded by luck.

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

The main Comics Kingdom site is still having major issues, but https://v7.comicskingdom.net/ is up and running. The only difference seems to be that for strips that are available in both square and horizontal-strip aspect ratios, this version of the site will provide the horizontal ones, which explains why Bizarro is longer and skinnier than normal today.
:toot:

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

(other comics later because I'm lazy)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: Chrysler is begging for money because "it's just so hard to comply with regulations and we're making so little money now and consumers are only buying small cars in response to the gas crisis can you believe that", and they took out a full page ad trying to convince people that this is normal and good(and not them grifting because they want to make money while still making lovely cars nobody wants).

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake/Johnny Hazard aren't on Sundays.

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Click here for cursed wilbur content.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

So that's 100% a sales pitch she uses in multiple places. I'm onto how you work by now, comic.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: Disco is starting to get some backlash for reasons that definitely have nothing to do with racism or homophobia, nope

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
The solution was so stupid that nobody called it! (having clothes button on different sides depending on their nominal gender is also stupid)

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Comic Strips 2022: Ride the Wild Daddy

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

As someone from the midwest, I'm pretty sure nobody actually gets fascinated by hearing someone's from the midwest.

Elsewhere: I finally solved the mystery of why this paper has no sunday scans available. It never had Sunday editions at all!

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Considering how many lovely dudes thinks that a service worker smiling at them means they're flirting, I'm not surprised at how many people don't realize that waitstaff have to be nice because it's their job.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Curtis

There's a good 30-40 years between the popularity of either of those groups, but whatever.
:ssh: You posted the same Curtis twice.

PainterofCrap posted:

He's an inexperienced driver. He may know his town on foot, and by bike, and ridden around with his parents in cars...but he wasn't paying attention. Few kids do.

I was shocked to learn this when my son started driving. He needed directions everywhere. Eventually, the car-map figured itself out in his head.
Yup, I remember when I was first starting to drive and my mom realized that she actually needed to point out the main streets and what their names are, because when you've only ever been a passenger you had no reason to pay attention to that stuff. Imagine that! Yes, you know the general layout of your town, but that doesn't help when you're driving a car and need to know which streets specifically connect to which other streets. (that goes double if you live somewhere where the roads are laid out like spaghetti because god forbid someone go through a residential area when they don't live there; this covers a lot of american(and presumably canadian) suburbia)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Predicting the solution to the mystery is "wait, we're cops, of course we're going to detain a random person based on looks!"

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake/Johnny Hazard doesn't update on Sundays.

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Curtis seems to have gotten stuck in a loop. :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Another strip where it's glaringly obvious this isn't the present day. No cell phones, but there is a pay phone?

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

So that's what happened to Snoopy. :ms:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Do not adjust your television set.
Everything is correct.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard really needs to find another joke for its repertoire.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

JethroMcB posted:

Something that always strikes me about cigarette ads is that they often talk around "Hey, isn't smoking deeply unpleasant? Don't you hate the sensation of inhaling smoke? Try our brand, it's slightly less abrasive than other cigarettes!"
The 79 paper I use has a full page cigarette ad in a surprising number of issues along with some smaller ads. My favorite is all the ads talking about "low tar". I assume people were starting to push back against how unhealthy smoking is and the low tar stuff was companies trying to pretend their product is healthy and fine.

"It's only 8mg! Totally safe and won't give you cancer!"

Powered Descent posted:

Encyclopedia Brown has now taught me never to tell the cops if I've spent hours going south on Interstate 94. (Talking to cops at all would be my first mistake, of course.)
:hmmyes:

(for the unaware, I94 has a bend where it goes north/south to get around Lake Michigan. Pretty much the entire section in Illinois is that way.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

It's depressing, but not terribly surprising, how long it took for those kinds of bans actually to happen.
And even today you still see occasional smoker mad that they can't stink up any space they want to. :bahgawd:

I feel like this is gonna be one of those things where kids will start assuming it was banned in like the 50s and be shocked when they find out otherwise.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

Also, y'know, HIPAA?

1979 comics

"You know, why are we repeatedly and intentionally leaving an abuse victim alone with an abuser suspected of murdering another woman?"

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Calling this as a 'the broken glass is on the wrong side of the window!' mystery.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 10, 1949)

Being able to swim was actually pretty dang rare in the middle ages, so panicking over seeing someone in the middle of the water isn't as goofy as it seems. :eng101:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: It's tangentially comics related so why not.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

I assume "long distance" is somehow about the outhouse since there's no other reason for it to be there but beyond that I have no idea what joke he's getting at.

I wonder if Compu-Toon was always incomprehensible.
Nope, and it actually made me a little sad to see the first time I looked it up, because it gives me strong "Boyce's current work is baffling because of dementia" vibes. :smith:

90s Overboard is wearing out its welcome for me, so maybe I'll start posting 2001 Computoon instead.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

OK, so the ad producer guy is obviously supposed to be the villain(he works in advertising, so I won't argue with that), but is it really supposed to be shocking that an ad agency is going for looks over reality?

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Wouldn't it be on scammer guy to prove he made the dogs first? Does anyone really think he's going to spend the money on an actual lawsuit? Why am I thinking this much about a half baked Rex Morgan plot?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Twelve by Pies posted:

90s Overboard, while I still think it's better than the current version, is running a lot of jokes into the ground, so I can see how it'd get a little tiresome. The biggest thing I'd miss if it stopped getting posted is that I'm curious when all the talking animals came into the strip.
Just for you: 90s Overboard Time Travel. I picked a couple strips at random from each year until I started seeing talking animals.

1997:

1999: Louie spotted! But no other animals yet.

2000: OK that first one was actually pretty funny

2001: Now in color! And with a demonstration of why almost nothing in this strip is drawn from a head-on perspective.

2002: Still just Louie. Lots and lots of Louie. I think the artist must have gotten a dog in 1999 and quickly became a dog fanatic.

2003...does not exist in gocomic's archive. strange.

2004: Raymond!

Skipping a year to go to 2006 and: Mice!

So basically overboard's spent a lot more time in talking animal hell than as a comic about pirate gags and pirates failing to hit on women. :ms:

Normal comics post later because I technically posted Thursday's comics right after midnight here. Also gonna swap out Overboard for OG Computoon. :getin:

e: Also loving lol at the Larson thing. :allears: It was fun seeing it posted here while it lasted(now it's one more click to read them every day, the horror)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins Going all the way back to 2001.