Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God bless this thread and especially God bless our dedicated posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I also do not buy for a second that this sticks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If my wife got up without a word and went to straight to bed, I'd assume we were getting a divorce.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why have I been on the edge of my seat for each day's Mary Worth post for days in a row now? I know in my heart that Wilbur is unlikely to be dead, but I have to know.

Everyone's excited to see how they write their way into Wilbur not being dead.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

In a year, the strip will be called Mary Worth and Wilbur.

Like Blondie, it'll be 95% about Wilbur eating sandwiches.

I remember cutting my great grandma's grass growing up, and afterward I'd go sit with her. She always had me a diet sprite and we always watched Days of our Lives together, to the point that I scheduled my entire day around finishing up the grass around the time Days came on. She would sit and endlessly complain about how stupid the characters and the stories were, but she also spent the commercials filling me in on what I'd missed since the last time I was over.

Anyway, when I woke up this morning I was prepared to support a thread death penalty for Mary Worth for bringing this stupid into my life, but ... upon reflection I guess being mad about it is at least half the fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

(For those who don't recognize the name, Art Frahm was a pin-up artist who, decades after his death, gained a bit of Internet fame for his slightly odd fetish. Namely, his favorite subject was a woman carrying grocery bags exactly like Daddy is here, so she don't have a free hand to pull up her underwear which has somehow fallen to her ankles. As far as I know, this link is what first brought Frahm to the Internet's attention -- it's very tame stuff by modern standards but I'm going to tag it :nws: just to be safe: https://www.lileks.com/institute/frahm/index.html)

lol

quote:

This one comes from Frahm's Hopper period.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Forget '80s Flash Gordon, how many folks in this thread have any idea who Dobie Gillis was, or could recognize Maynard G. Krebs by sight?

(Had a rush this morning, so no comics, alas.)

They were names I recall having heard in passing. If you'd asked me yesterday who Maynard G Krebs was, there's a 75% chance I would have said "Old TV character" and a 25% chance I would have guessed, "an under secretary of state from the 60s who did war crimes."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Love Jucika, thanks for posting it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

And now I'm in that weird spot of being sad to hear that someone has died, even though it happened many years before I was even born. (Is there a word for that?)

Thank you for posting Jucika, it's a delight.

It goes in that same category of discovering from their obit a new artist or writer you end up loving.

Like, "I'm glad we're both here now. I wish I had arrived sooner, and under different circumstances."

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 19, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I realized until now what a brilliant style choice it was for Jucika not to have nipples.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We absolutely are getting a, "Wilbur drunk partying without a care while everyone back home grieves for him," diptych.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

The trick is to not be better than anyone, then you only need "people who are better than me" and everyone is in it.

It's worked for me!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if Ballard Street was capable of soaring to the same heights as "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal" or "Midvale School for the Gifted"

But by god, I think the average Ballard Street might be just as good as the average Far Side.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

If there was any question of, "Does Family Circus just reuse the same jokes word for word?" my piano teacher wife says she has, "seen that one a bunch of times."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dad's got to have mom's back there, though. You can't be the parent swooping in to save the day once the other has made the call. Disagree all you want, but you have to take it up backstage and talk about how to handle it next time.

You're much better off with a united front. One overblown (safe, normal) punishment isn't going to affect anything long-term, but showing the kid they can run to one parent for help when the other lays down the law is going to get really messy really quickly.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 8, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Presto posted:

The dad made this exact argument just the other day when they punished Michael for missing his exit off the highway.

Yeah, heh, I had already forgotten how that story ended. Having gone back, I now assume the comic is making my point ahead of me not just being pointlessly contradictory.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

When did subways stop using physical tokens? A couple of decades ago?

It's interesting to see how the intersection of "has used a subway token," "could even begin to explain Bitcoin at the most basic level," overlaps with "the right age to have been posting on SA for 10+ years."

e: Computoon is an arrow pointed directly at our hearts. Undisputed voice of the millennial generation.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, my elementary-age girls tell absolute horror stories about the bathrooms at their school.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

gently caress, i extremely want to make this tho

don't let your dreams be dreams

(it was really really good, even with my 3/4-assed homemade curry powder)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's an all-you-can-eat conveyor belt sushi place near us that not only survived the pandemic but expanded twice. I have absolutely no clue how. Maybe they're a secret mafia front like Long John Silvers/Mattress Firm.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm not usually an "I'm in this and I don't like it" guy but yeesh.

I am horrible about being 2 minutes into small talk with a person I'll never see again and deciding to start divulging embarrassing information or going on long tangents by myself about like, Mary Worth or something.

Reminds me of a tweet I read once along the lines of, "They haven't thought twice about the thing you said that you thought was awkward. They're thinking about the awkward thing you said that you didn't even clock."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Tiny bit of credit where it's due. Team Evans actually tried something with the art today.

Yeah, that's a nice panel.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One-arm newspaper guy?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
jeremy jesus christ there are so many ways to ditch an adult at the beach on vacation

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

And I do like that this Batman is a bit '66-esque.

Maybe that's his plan for not getting C&Ded, hoping Batman being silly is somehow in the public domain now.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is the correct way to post a comic from GoComics?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cool! I don't want to jump anyone's claim or anything, but A+J is the best comic here and we are midway through a ~lore~ storyline so I figured I'd pick it up a bit unless there's objections.

Arlo and Janis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
$400 in 1975 is roughly $2100 in 2022.

In-state tuition at Auburn this year is $12 grand.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Literally dancing to their own music.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Backstory continues! I'm gone this week, will catch back up Friday.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The big post-vacation Arlo and Janis catchup:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's easy to forget how wondrous and magical so much of the early internet was before Facebook/Google etc came along and decided what it was actually going to be. Your first time with a search engine, or a chat program, or RealPlayer really was like magic, probably a lot like what it felt like to see a light bulb for the first time as a teenager.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

You've got so many reasons for not being with someone. But Janis, you haven't got one good reason for being alone.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 7, 2022