Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm currently posting some of the selected works off John Allison to the thread. I kind of missed out posting yesterday, though, but this way I can cover both my bases at once. Most of his work is set in the fictional northern English town of Tackleford, a magnet for weirdness of varying degrees. I'll also include his commentary on the comics where I can.

Bad Machinery is the third comic set in the Bobbinsverse, following the adventures of six schoolfriends who solve mysteries. We are in the middle of the 4th case, the Case of the Lonely One, where a new kid seems to have some sway over all of the school (at least his year), save Shauna and some of the school outcasts.

John Allison posted:

Now time has clouded my memory, but as far as I can recall, that's how you meet girls, in your head, when you have no chance otherwise of ever talking to That Girl You Like.

Bobbins.Horse is Allison's revisiting of Bobbins, the original strip that got everything started. Set more in less concurrently with the original stories, it revolves around the staff of City Limit, a local magazine, and their friend group in more slice of life stories.

John Allison posted:

See, loitering in window pane, the ominous bulk of DORADO RODRIGUEZ. A true nighthawk of the diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Ryan, Tim and Elliot’s band are called “Tin Star Troubadours” and they’re every bit as good as that name suggests.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Poor old Blossom. Shauna has rearranged her world beyond all recognition.
You'll always have dragons, Blossom. You'll always have dragons.

John Allison posted:

Shauna may seem a little cold in today's comic, but remember that her sincere entreat for help was met with an un-chivalrous demand for dates and hand-holds (and one pash). Summary requests for faux-romance do not quicken a lady's heart.

This was two 3=panel strips for the original webcomic run, hence two bits of commentary.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #147 (1992), by Alison Bechdel

Skimping on the notes today because I got home late and I'm tired, but I think Mo is full of poo poo here. I dunno if that many goons are actually young enough to need to hear this, but 30 is nothing. In the handful of years since I turned 30 I've grown and changed in ways that I never could've in my twenties, and I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been. So Mo, go sit on an egg.

The name of the bagel shop changes between pages but if there's a joke there I don't get it.

As someone who just turned 30, I appreciate this post.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Poor old Ryan doesn’t have an enormous sense of his self-worth. Fortunately, Amy has the robust confidence of those who have never felt compelled to try very hard.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I think these poor weak young men have every reason to fear Amy’s big teen energy.

Bobbins today because I accidentally got ahead of Bad Machinery by a strip.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Why is Amy stealing promo CDs by failed bands? Why does she need a tote when her trousers have those vast pockets? Don’t ask me questions about those trousers. I don’t know how they work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

A very traditional comic today, Shelley and Amy united. I’ve featured a lot of friendships in my comics, but this is my favourite.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, he could still be dead. They never said he was alive when he washed up.

JUST LET ME HAVE THIS.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

God help Mildred if she tries to eat her pudding before her meat.

Given she's Vegan, that means she'd eat pudding first by default.

:ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Have you seen Ljubjana before? If you have read everything – and I mean everything – I’ve ever published, she appears in one strip, and be warned, not a very good one, from 1998. There were two virtually unused character designs from Bobbins – Ljubjana, and Amy’s boyfriend Larry. I’d like to tell you that I’d worked out rich internal lives for them, but really I just drew them once then printed them out on my bubble jet, very small, as if to apologise.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Amy has just signed her friends’ death warrant. But, you know, in a nice way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

I managed to miss a day somewhere, hence the double feature.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

I'm not sure if the moon fact presented in the first panel is true, but it's certainly convincing. The mad song event that Mildred is referring to occurred in this comic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

The cellar incident! Summarised in this then-mystifying strip. We're going to solve these mysteries. Solve 'em all up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Tr...uce? Armistice dangles just out of reach! Will diplomacy win where half-hearted throttling has thus far failed?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

quote:

The guy with the moustache is Drew, a character who appeared a very few times, early on in the original Bobbins. His background is mysterious. He’s the babes only in the home man.

I only just realised that Drew's idea of a babe Elliot talks about in that linked issue is literally on a poster in Drew's wall. Got nothing to do with this strip, but it's a neat detail I missed the first time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I don’t know a lot about the city of Katowice besides the fact that it is in Poland. I don’t know what its association with electronic music is, but if there isn’t at least one person in that fair city dedicated to expanding sound in new directions, I’m going to give up on life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Something about these kids seems familiar...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

It’s the kind of night where someone would bring their lifelike sex doll and prop it up at the bar. Anything goes. Good luck Tim!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

The incorrigible S. Winters is up to her tricks, even at this trickiest of junctures.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days Foreshadowing perhaps?

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

I can't wait to see them meet the world's second-greatest detective.

He'd be the greatest, but Lottie exists.