Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba (lit. "Backstreet Pub," but that sounds dumb so I broke my usual rule of being sure to localize everything and kept the Japanese name) is an indy slice of life-ish comic about a bunch of barflies who are regulars at a little unnamed bar in a deep sub-level of a cyberpunk-ish megacity. It's self-published - web and self-printed zines essentially - and AFAIK I'm the only person translating it to English and this and the other webcomic thread are thus the only place to read it in English. People have described it as "Cyberpunk Cheers" and that's probably as on-the-nose as you can get. There's a lot of implied setting, but it's basically a romanticized mid- to late-20th-century working-class Japan with sci-fi trappings. The author, Maruoka Kuzo, really knows how to tell a tight little character-focused story in 4 pages and it's a god-drat shame he's not more popular than he is.

ChaCha Chako is the current Q-Rais long-form comic I'm sharing here. Q-Rais is probably most popular for his 4-panel Sad Bear, Fat Cat, and Brain-Damaged Bunny Muse comics, but in the last couple years he's started doing longer narrative comics, and this is the first. It's a spin-off of the extremely surreal Chako, which I shared in last year's thread. As with Sakaba, there's no official English translation I know of, so mine is all there is! Enjoy! (Apologies for the terrible quality of the cropping and text on these, BTW, I've slowly been getting better at that stuff but this was still relatively early in my fan-translation days.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

End Chapter 5!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: New chapter, back to the "present"!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Has someone tapped Studio Ghibli for a Chako adaptation yet
Q-Rais himself did some short animations of early Chako strips, but he's taken them all down. (Apparently, he'd like to do more animation - he went to film school and used to work in production and editing - but there's even less money in it than comics.) There is this, though.

More seriously, the Nausicaa influence on ChaCha’s design in particular is one of my favorite touches in the comic.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 6, 2022

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Emi knows the score.

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba: these dorks

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

davidspackage posted:

You've mentioned that few people in the strip ever get named, is the boss's name ever given?
Nope, she is only ever "the owner" (technically "the lady owner," since Japanese is often gendered that way). The only characters whose names ever really get used are Emi (who is likewise always and only the very familiar "Emi-chan") and the big regular with the scar, who's called Ganta. Everybody else is either their position / station (like "the antiques dealer" or "the record shop guy") or a nickname (the anal-retentive salaryman with the glasses is called basically "Specs"), or just never called anything at all, although one or two of the other regulars have names have been mentioned once or twice. There's actually a lot of cultural stuff about social standing and social distance tied up in how names are and aren't used in the comic.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: New chapter!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

"Reveling in the joy of cheap but delicious bar food" is definitely one of the central literary themes of Uramachi Sakaba - but that said, this chapter is about these two doofuses:

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Perfect!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba
One of the things I love about Maruoka is that he leans into the trope and has fun with it, but the thing about "will they or won't they" is that they never can.

Emi in those last two panels is my favorite Emi though.

ChaCha Chako: New chapter!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

ChaCha is around food people too, I assumed they were just very far away from each other on the same planet.

It's explicitly different "worlds" - the only way to travel between them is those portal things. That said, Q-Rais has often said that Chako at least was written in a very stream-of-consciousness way, so I think the most likely explanation for the question of "how did Chako get a Mr. Inari to ChaCha" is just that Q-Rais hadn't really worked out the setting yet when he did the first ChaCha comic.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Haifisch posted:

So that's 100% a sales pitch she uses in multiple places. I'm onto how you work by now, comic.
If there's one thing Uramachi Sakaba has shown us, it's that the owner is actually a pretty easy mark.

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako, including the horrifying "back of the Fancy House"

End chapter!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: New chapter, a short interlude of wordless surreality in Chako World

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba: We've gotten to the stage in the sharing where we're caught up with the online comics and move to the extra strips in the print editions. These include some short one-page comics and some fan-favorite recipe content!

ChaCha Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

And I don't usually share Q-Rais' dailies, but I felt compelled to translate yesterday's (it's from a series of "surreal night visits to Q-Rais' apartment"):

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Some Guy TT posted:

How do we bribe you into translating this comic every day?
This particular series is only updated weekly (most of his dailies are the fat cat or the cute mouse or things in that vein) and often pun-based and/or just very surreal, but I'll see what I can do!
Night Visitors

Snow rabbits are rabbit-shaped snow sculptures people make here, sort of more-adorable snowmen, with leaves for ears and berries for eyes.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

At bars like this that serve food, it's a bit of a breach of etiquette not to get anything, even if it's just pickles or whatever.

ChaCha Chako

End of chapter 9!

Night Visitors

Mirror rice cakes are a traditional decoration at new year's.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: Starting the chapter with a flashback

Night Visitors: Christmas mood

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Drakyn posted:

I can't believe Chako hadn't murdered and eaten the sun yet.
She was trying to make soup, and...

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Which is a good time to share this one-pager:

Which is an homage to a famous series of kids' books with images of kaiju:

ChaCha Chako

Chako knocking the sun into a lake is referring to one of the very first Chako strips, which wasn't tagged nicely on Q-Rais' site so I didn't share it here.

Night Visitors

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Medenmath posted:

I was actually just wondering how her being a cyborg worked, since most of the other characters with cyborg parts have bits that look obviously mechanical.
Well, when it comes down to it, it works "in whatever way serves the gag." There's a short comic where she catches cold later, which really "shouldn't" be possible for a full-conversion cyborg.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: Nested flashbacks!

Night Visitors

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

I like the background-setting her reaction gives. Myoga is the flower bud of a ginger variety - you could probably substitute regular ginger for it, but in smaller amounts, as it's pretty mild.

EBB posted:

So ChaCha's world was made for her too? That's interesting.
This is the chapter where things really do start coming together into a story in ChaCha Chako.

Night Visitors

I tell you what, I almost gave up on this one, and in the end (as you can probably guess from the way the jokes work) had to almost completely rework it.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

CommonShore posted:

For all of the translators:

It's ok if a comic descends into nonsense in translation. That's actually interesting in itself. Just explain what the joke is supposed to be if this happens. I for one will embrace it.

Well, if I translated the ginger one literally, it'd be:

Ginger: Good evening!
Q-Rais: Ah, it's ginger.
Ginger: Don't call me ginger, that's lame. Call me ginger!
Q-Rais: Ginger...
Q-Rais: Ginger!
Ginger: And don't say it like "Shin-chan"!

...which seems to lack a certain something. There are one or two coming up that are basically un-localizable, though.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

End of the chapter!

Night Visitors

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba: an unusual three-pager:

Spoiled for a lil' bit of horniness, just in case:

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

Is that suppose to be a black guy in that final frame?
He's a regular and turns up a lot. I'm honestly not sure - skin tone aside, he reads pretty ethnically ambiguous to me, and there's a strong tradition in manga of drawing Japanese people with lips like that too. :shrug: That might be me being an apologist, though.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

"Poppy" is a brand-name-avoiding reference to a drink called "Hoppy," which is a non-alcoholic beer-ish malt beverage that's served mixed with the cheapest alcohol available as an inexpensive beer substitute.

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

This one needs some explanation. Foxes, in Japanese mythology, are generally-malevolent trickster spirits with, among other things, the ability to possess people. Also, a fox's favorite food is fried tofu (the surest way to expose a fox is to let it smell fried tofu, so it loses its concentration and lets its tail show), and as a result noodles with fried tofu as a topping are called "fox-style noodles". So, today's comic is: Q-Rais sees what he thinks is an ordinary bowl of noodles, then notices it's topped with fried tofu and making fox sounds, and so realizes it's not an ordinary bowl of noodles, but is rather fox noodles, in this case not only just fox-style noodles, but literally noodles possessed by a fox.