Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Why on Earth would any teacher want 100 notifications of a copy-pasted "I will not text in class" message to hit her phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I know I've seen this answer in an Encyclopedia Brown book, or a similar two-minute mystery: Guy who said it was caused by a cobweb fire is the liar. Cobwebs aren't very flammable.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mikl posted:

Happy birthday! :toot:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: growing up (May 16-22, 2005)

Hm, May 21st, 2005... Who else had the high ground that weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wLBOlCKPU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

...Why did they try to burn down the building from the inside? Is this a weird insurance scam, where they decided to turn on each other midway through the arson?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Why go to a special workshop just to fill out a test and add up my own score and read my own results? I can take a Buzzfeed quiz and get the same thing and they'll even add up the score for me and I might even get to be a faerie queen or something.

Dear god, what is this quiz where every career path is on a linear numeric scale?

"Well, if your score had been 3 less, we'd recommend 'Dance Instructor', 7 more and it would be 'Airline Pilot', but your score is solidly in 'Costumed Crimefighting Vigilante.'"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Gnoman posted:

That's a dated reference in the first strip!

Huh, apparently G4 made a return last year to Twitch and Youtube Streaming, and Adam Sessler is hosting X-Play on it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HZ1XdfvFw

Morgan Webb came back for the reunion special, but not for the regular show.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Hey did you hear the Last Chance Dude Ranch got robbed?"

"What the hell? Who just goes and gets robbed like that? Well they're not getting any of my money!"

"Mine either, I refuse to support crime victims."

Encyclopedia Brown: "If I solve this mystery, will you let me go?"
Waco Hawkins: "We'll see. There are a lot of crimes here, and I need you to help me solve them."
Encyclopedia Brown: "Kidnapping is also a crime, Mr. Hawkins."
Waco Hawkins: "Not one that the Idaville PD can solve without you."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Yes, I still have ..one... of his old helmets."

(Image from the final Bull Bushka storyline, spoilered in retrospect)

maltesh fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 16, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Uh-huh...you still think you got shortchanged by the suicide arc ending over a month before its announced length so we could do another couple months of Lisa misery strips? I...uhh, your signal's cutting out, I think I'm losing you, bye.

I thought it got cut short because the Pizza Box Monster had to return?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

goatface posted:

I hope he gets found by a hideous old crone who locks him in her seaside hut and holds him there until he agrees to marry her so she can get a visa.

Why would you wish him on the poor Sea Hag? She's been through enough as it is!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I guess I'll put my arcade token down on [Something odd and 1970's about women and safeguarding combs that is treated as Physical Law], Chuck's bald and hates all hair care products with a blinding passion, so the comb belongs to Tex.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

The jacket was visible in the previous day's strip, so by its own standards it's fair game as a clue complete open and shut case.

Yeah, the comb was a legit red herring, and this wasn't as obscure a solution as many others. The vest is prominently featured in almost all the week's strips, and, the upcoming answer is kind of lampshaded in the Wednesday strip:

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Probably a little more than half the people in the state are female.

Disrobing during a burglary is probably still a bad idea, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

This is the Thursday, so we're probably not at enough to convict in the Enyclopedia Brown Kangaroo Court of law, but...

In the U.S. interstate highway system, even-numbered routes generally run east-to-west, not north to south. This is the case in Florida's state route numbering system, as well, which is where I have been told the town of Idaville is located.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I've only ever really used one food delivery app, but my general impression is that by the time the delivery person is at your door, you've long since paid for the meal, and you'd need to directly contact the company to carry out a threat of "I'm not going to pay for this."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Apparently, there are a lot of birds. I've gone through several buckets of rat poison."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Based on the previous comic, this feels like Brightly lit room + Darkness outside window = Lying about random encounter with Floridian Swamp Murderer

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Green Intern posted:

Just hire a regular loving lab assistant, you creep!

If she wanted simple solutions, she'd just have used the successful youthening formula she demonstrated a week or so before this storyline started.

Besides, hiring someone from outside means that they might find out about all the genetic magic research they're hiding from the world and actively suppressing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm by no means a Rex Morgan or legal scholar, but let me see if I have this right: The con artist is alleging a child stole his idea, and is pursuing direct legal action against the child? This seems to be a nonstarter to my layman eyes, even if a 7 year old (or however old she is) saw your idea and took it, you can't expect to argue in any meaningful way the child was aware of what they were doing and their family owes you damages. It seems to me that you'd go after the publisher or at least gin up a story that the parents convinced the kid to take some of your personal drawings to give the suit some kind of legs.

Why did they sign this contract, anyway? Did the Morgans at least get a lawyer to look it over?

They basically had Vidpa over a barrel on this one, for precisely the thing the Art Teacher is suing them over, and he admitted to it. How did they wind up with a contract that drops the legal risk on the Morgans?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Kurash, what is your endgame here? Are you planning to vanish into the wind before this child is injured or killed trying to learn to fly with these broken wings?

If so, you should have left already. You've got $6 burning a hole in your pocket, that'll get you maybe 5 miles by cab in 1979?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Those pictures of the Doggo Twins are actually ones I commissioned him to produce of my Original Characters ten years ago. I paid him to produce it, and I have the receipt."

"So he has no right to sue us?"

"That's right. That said, I do. Consider yourself Served."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I don't know why Batiuk didn't just name them "The Elementals" or "Elemental Force", unless someone did a trademark search and found that both were already in active use by other companies.

Also, am I looking at things wrong, or is the Oceanaire's neck weirdly long?

Edit: Why would you put Doctor Atmos' arm in front of his face on the cover of the first issue of the team book?

I suppose you might if there was some plot reason that the Atmos in the book is actually someone who isn't the Doctor Atmos in the self-titled book, intended as a plot surprise.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 14, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Fudge, the movie is getting Oscar nominations, isn't it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

[

1979 comics

" Curses, Encyclopedia Brown! You have foiled my plan to make this child pay me six dollars to severely injure himself with my wings that don't work."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

How do you binge watch one episode you loving hack?

Okay let's assume that he's talking about from every Star Trek series ever. According to google, that brings the total number of episodes up to a whopping three, one from Voyager and one from Enterprise. Three episodes is still way too few for the term binge watch.

And from vague memories, and reading synopses, are they really all that romantic? More of a "We need to divert the biological impulses of these afflicted Vulcans before they do (or by allowing them to think they did) something they'll horribly regret" type of thing?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

It seems really odd to assume that the ivy near the top of a window would support the weight of a climbing human. I guess if she was climbing primarily the wall, and the ivy was a slight aid and possible impediment...

But how was the reader supposed to know that the ivy was pristine at ground-level?

Zerilan posted:

Seriously why the gently caress does that even exist or is just left sitting around?

It was the water bottle in the cage that makes transformations permanent.

Big-Eared Mouse Lab Assistant arranged this deliberately.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 22, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Using "old paper" would make sense if the plot were about a forged medieval manuscript or something, but the drawings in question would only be a few years old. Is there even a test that could tell the difference at that scale?

edit: It does occur to me that maybe they mean that Rene had old, partially used sketchbooks he could add the drawings to, which might make more sense?

Apparently the solvents in inks take up to two years to evaporate, and you can use a gas chromatograph to check if the ink is younger than that.

Not sure what you do if they were pencil sketches, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

I hate the ones where some elderly person makes a terrible joke and the youth don't get it and this is held up as evidence of the ignorance of the kids of today, oh how we hate them. Anyway, I'm old and I also didn't get the reference so I looked it up and I guess either he's talking about a fancy music hall or he's talking about a deceased black actor (oof, if so), but either way I still don't get it. I'm confident I'd find it horrifically unfunny even if I did get it, though.

Unsure why you'd need a name for a collective of black holes in a high school class anyway. If I'm not mistaken, almost all the black holes we know of are singletons, and we generally only find out about the binaries because LIGO picks up the gravitational waves that tell us they aren't binaries any more.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Feels like it would be a bit of an unfair pull, and we're not at J'accuseday yet, but I'm currently thinking the Lighting Technician in the Tuesday Strip., based on the assumption that he'd probably need LOS to aim the spotlight on the comedian, and would expect the glare to hide the muzzle-flash

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

You were right but for a stupider reason than anticipated:

What the hell? He brought two guns to do the shooting?

So his plan was:
1: Shoot the comedian with the first gun. Put it back in his pocket.
2. Throw the second gun on the floor using a napkin or something so fingerprints don't get on it, as a decoy.
3. Keep hand in pocket for no good reason, Idaville PD won't check for gun residue on your hands, or search you.
4. If all goes south, shoot Encyclopedia Brown. With him dead, they'll never solve the mystery and you can just walk out.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Just more evidence that the either Big-Eared Lab Assistant deliberately arranged everything that happened here, or is criminally incompetent.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

What is going on here? We never saw anything about the old lady, and she got away Scott free with $1,000. Are we getting a multi-week villain storyline in Encyclopedia Brown?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days June 4, 1959

And a reference I didn't know was a reference slots into place: The Rover Boys

maltesh
May 20, 2004

You're not paying to repair a new vacuum cleaner. This looks like a vacuum cleaner you've owned for years, and it's definitely been used.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

That is some crazy good penmanship for something presumably being written in the back of a moving school bus.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Did we ever find out why the painting wasn't stolen (or was stashed in the museum after being stolen), or was that lost in archives somewhere?

Unless there's a Sunday we aren't seeing, no. The presumed old lady thief (we never saw her in the comic) got away scot free with the ransom.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Nope. It's just an incredibly awkward story where I suspect they couldn't figure out how to condense it into a single week's story arc. (assuming it was adapted from a book, which I think most/all of these are?)

I haven't really been looking at the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia as of late, but the main reason I stopped was because most of the ones I was looking up were not showing up there (or at least, I couldn't find them). At this point, I think they're either sufficiently-modified to make searching for them difficult, coming out of Sobol's non-encyclopedia-brown mystery collections, or completely original.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hey, maybe you could hire a person, who like, wants to work in your field, and is knowledgeable about it, and you could loving pay them. Or I guess you could just grab a random animal and magic them into a person and force them into slavery like you did with your other assistants. gently caress you!

Look, if we hired actual scientists, they might find out about the magic DNA research that we are being paid to do but are refusing to publish or implement and are actively suppressing through sorcery, and we'd probably have to get rid of them by permanently turning them into animals or living decorations or some other kind of useful abomination.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I guess Doc? If Lee had turned on the gas, Joe would have smelled it. Also, as a comic chain-smoker, she might have set the gas on fire?

If Doc actually has a cold, he might not have. So I suspect he administered some sort of sedative while treating the victim, and turned on the gas, and is using his fake cold to claim that he wouldn't have smelled the gas a previous visitor supposedly activated, but I can't work out why. Possibly "A doctor would never visit a patient while he himself is sick?"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I'll go the other way and say it's Joe. He would have known that the victim couldn't smell gas with a freshly-broken nose, so he took the opportunity to turn it on before he left. And by chance, the Doc who came by a little later had a cold and couldn't smell the gas building up either.

I'd wonder: Why didn't Poole object to Joe coming into his house, after punching him in the nose, and fiddling in his kitchen? If he hung around long enough, he'd know that Poole was calling in a doctor, and would expect the Doc to be able to smell the fumes, wouldn't he?

Though, thinking about your solution leads me to another potential option that Enyclopedia's "J'accuse!" doesn't seem to be pointed at. Poole turned on the gas himself, possibly to cook something, and was unable to smell the pre-existing gas leak because of the nasal injury. Possibly before the Doctor with a cold arrived. Doc left before enough gas filled the house that he'd feel symptoms. Poole succumbed during the night.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Doesn't it take several Oz books before Toto reveals that he can talk in Oz, with a "Well, everything was all right up until now" type of comment?