Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Kellies nomination: worst label

-most especially for the double label of maralago but it's all a rich tapestry of bad labels

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Lol, Zyklon Ben is one of the last riders on the Trump train. Everyone else is hopping on with DeSantis - "Fascism that wins"

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I just can't get over the polar bear in the corner with "We're Fine".

They are very not fine and in fact going extinct.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I dont know posted:

Stantis may be the single most obnoxious cartoonist in the thread just for the way he smugly treats being incapable of forming an opinion as clear proof of maturity and moral sophistication. I don't think he will ever top this one for misplaced, self-satisfied pride.

I would almost say he was purestrain centrism, like the living embodiment, except that his only problem with Conservatism is when they say the quiet parts out loud.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol, Zyklon Ben is one of the last riders on the Trump train. Everyone else is hopping on with DeSantis - "Fascism that wins"

The worst part is that he'll end up being proven correct.
The party belongs to Trump until he decides he's done with it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Alhazred posted:

Has there been year that wasn't genuinely awful? I'm legit asking since time has lost all meaning to me.
Honestly, 2022 hasn't been as bad as any of the 5 or so years before it, in my opinion.

Syfe posted:

That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

And if you correct him that this is caused by Covid, he’ll certainly say, that our treatment of covid is indicative of the decline of our society. Ted Rall will never say that capitalism is bad because that take is no longer hot enough for him.

gently caress both of you and the podcast you ride out on.

The decline in life expectancy precedes covid due to the opioid epidemic, although most of the drop since 2020 has been the pandemic. Also, the US is unique among developed countries for declining life expectancy even though the covid pandemic affected everyone.

So both of those points would indeed be correct: the drop is due to the decline of the US empire and even the large portion of the drop that is actually due to covid is worsened by the cruelty with which the US regime treats its people.

Source: U.S. Life Expectancy Is in Decline. Why Aren’t Other Countries Suffering the Same Problem?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

“War <- NO!” and Unity right beside declaring a southern White House are my favorite things besides the feelin’ fine polar bear

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

The decline in life expectancy precedes covid due to the opioid epidemic, although most of the drop since 2020 has been the pandemic. Also, the US is unique among developed countries for declining life expectancy even though the covid pandemic affected everyone.

So both of those points would indeed be correct: the drop is due to the decline of the US empire and even the large portion of the drop that is actually due to covid is worsened by the cruelty with which the US regime treats its people.

Source: U.S. Life Expectancy Is in Decline. Why Aren’t Other Countries Suffering the Same Problem?

The question I have to ask about America is: would the US have ever implemented public health measures to protect people during a pandemic at any point in its history? I know there was a mass vaccination campaign to stop polio.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The question I have to ask about America is: would the US have ever implemented public health measures to protect people during a pandemic at any point in its history? I know there was a mass vaccination campaign to stop polio.

The US did enact public health measures during the covid pandemic, and has done so during several previous epidemics as well. As with past pandemics (and worse than some of them), actors seeking to benefit, politically or financially, undermined or sabotaged those public health measures. In this case, the prior alt-med industry, flush with cash and know-how from dietary supplement marketing, found itself in alignment with large segments of the Republican party. The politicization of vaccination and resulting alignment of outcomes was a big factor diminishing the efficacy of vaccination efforts.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 31, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were a certain amount of measures taken during the 1919 flu pandemic, although they weren't on a federal level IIRC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Different transmission factors and a generally less mobile population shifted a lot of activity to city governments. A lot of the public health apparatus, including things like greater federal quarantine authority, emerged in response to the 1919 pandemic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Syfe posted:

"Dude, it's alright! Circle of life, man. We've made peace with it." *trembling, emaciated polar bear thumbs-up* "Namaste."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies nomination: most cope

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"we're fine!!!" insists polar bear while floating away into the open ocean on a piece of ice barely big enough for it to stand on

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

That's me!
He did a comic of me!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I dont know posted:

Stantis may be the single most obnoxious cartoonist in the thread just for the way he smugly treats being incapable of forming an opinion as clear proof of maturity and moral sophistication. I don't think he will ever top this one for misplaced, self-satisfied pride.

Boy that 4th panel is especially uncomfortable to look at.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Ben Garrison posted:

Ukraine will be revealed as the most corrupt country in the world and Zelensky will be exposed as just a puppet playing his role as a begger for the money laundering globalist tyrants.
Are rants eligible for Kellies? Because this is definitely Least Concealed Bigotry (Anti-Semitism)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The US did enact public health measures during the covid pandemic, and has done so during several previous epidemics as well. As with past pandemics (and worse than some of them), actors seeking to benefit, politically or financially, undermined or sabotaged those public health measures. In this case, the prior alt-med industry, flush with cash and know-how from dietary supplement marketing, found itself in alignment with large segments of the Republican party. The politicization of vaccination and resulting alignment of outcomes was a big factor diminishing the efficacy of vaccination efforts.

Yea this is a major contributor for sure.

A functional state would crack down on an industry that profits by undermining public health efforts, but the US government has been mostly captured by big business and is apparently mostly incapable of regulating predatory industries and protecting the population.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Syfe posted:

Uh, no, maybe you didn't read the comic? They're fine.
What a perfect, succinct encapsulation of every conservative response to their criticisms: "nuh uh, don't worry about it".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Vib Rib posted:

Uh, no, maybe you didn't read the comic? They're fine.
What a perfect, succinct encapsulation of every conservative response to their criticisms: "nuh uh, don't worry about it".

Relax and enjoy the show! ;-*

(I don't know what Tulsi has been up to recently other than she's on Fox News and apparently Ben is still horney for her)

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 31, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Having the “We’re fine!” polar bear right beside the oil geyser is something you’d expect in a Captain Planet cartoon as obvious propaganda from the bad guys to show kids they’re evil but Zyklon Ben is here being 100% serious with it

Nenonen posted:

(I don't know what Tulsi has been up to recently other than she's on Fox News and apparently Ben is still horney for her)

Tulsi has been part of an insane LBGTQ+ hating and Muslim hating cult in Hawaii since she was born and was basically groomed from childhood to get into politics by its leader. Because she was in Hawaii she adopted a liberal facade and the democrats loved her because she was a minority woman but as she started to lose favor with the them she instantly spun on a switch and is currently a Q-Anon alt-right anti-trans and anti-gay person now because that’s now the obvious path for her to get back into power. QAnon Anonymous just did two episodes about her and it’s insane how very clearly fash she was even while the democrats were holding her up as the ideal leftist

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 31, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I'm the immeciated and worn out polar bear saying "We're fine" when clearly I'm not...

Holy gently caress Ben, please retire soon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lots of attention being drawn to extinction acceptance polar bear and not as much as i’d expect from montana “rough riding cowboy” ben garrison simping for rich wet floridan daddy trump declaring mar a lago the new center of government

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

lots of attention being drawn to extinction acceptance polar bear and not as much as i’d expect from montana “rough riding cowboy” ben garrison simping for rich wet floridan daddy trump declaring mar a lago the new center of government

He's done that one before and there's no real point in repeating ourselves.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Yea this is a major contributor for sure.

A functional state would crack down on an industry that profits by undermining public health efforts, but the US government has been mostly captured by big business and is apparently mostly incapable of regulating predatory industries and protecting the population.

Again, because I know we've had this conversation many times, "the government" is a simplification, and "mostly captured by big business" sure as poo poo is. FDA has been actively pushing to implement new regs on dietary supplements for years; they just got through the biggest restraint on homeopathic products in about a century.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Happy New Year Politoon thread.

Knight:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

fool of sound posted:

Tbf I would accept the half assed divide response as evidence of societal failure too.

So the autocorrect has finally decided that Covid is over. That's good to know.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trapezium Dave posted:

Happy New Year Politoon thread.

Knight:

Well, they have, given the year is actually 1444 AH (or 1401 SH, using the calendar in place before the Taliban changed it)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Ah, yes, the free market will definitely hold the air travel industry accountable... Hang on, I'm getting something now... Are we sure? Well okay.

"lol"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gee, I wonder why this is happening and if anything can be done about it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Gee, I wonder why this is happening and if anything can be done about it?

No doing things is when we do the wrong thing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1609241693689155585?s=20&t=DyoZOHG_cVYZmU6DqQgR0A

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Wasn't Benedict the pope overseeing the sexual abuse scandals? And by overseeing I mean making sure they are swept under the rug.

Makes the last panel hit better

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xarn posted:

Wasn't Benedict the pope overseeing the sexual abuse scandals? And by overseeing I mean making sure they are swept under the rug.

Makes the last panel hit better

That's all of the popes basically.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
I assume the 2022 thread will go on forever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, because I know we've had this conversation many times, "the government" is a simplification, and "mostly captured by big business" sure as poo poo is. FDA has been actively pushing to implement new regs on dietary supplements for years; they just got through the biggest restraint on homeopathic products in about a century.

I said "mostly" incapable. Yes there's agencies staffed by people who are trying to do what they can, it takes them years even during then worst pandemic in a century, there are plenty of ways regulations get overturned (courts, congressional review act), and even if these stick it won't solve the problem. It would take new laws which congress seems to be unwilling/incapable of passing, hence the US government is mostly incapable of addressing the gap in life expectancy.

E: do you have a link to something about the new regs though, it does sound like a good thing

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 1, 2023

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Kellie's nomination: best edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Welcome to 2023. Feeling confident? – Rishi Sunak’s sunlit uplands await us. Just beware the austerity detour"

Sunday Telegraph:

Sunday Times: