Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Ground Floor. This game is loving amazing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just a note on something in the video (even if people have mentioned it before):

The Ace difficulty in 7 doesn't actually have 1 hit kills. In fact, if you have a tough plane and the right equipment, you can soak fire all day.

It actually can come up in the dialogue, too.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

chiasaur11 posted:

Just a note on something in the video (even if people have mentioned it before):

The Ace difficulty in 7 doesn't actually have 1 hit kills. In fact, if you have a tough plane and the right equipment, you can soak fire all day.

It actually can come up in the dialogue, too.

NON-CRITICAL AREA

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

can't believe they added regenerating health to my ace combat, smdh

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Psycho Landlord posted:

can't believe they added regenerating health to my ace combat, smdh

I'm not a huge fan of regenerating health in general but some of these missions I would never do without it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm not a huge fan of regenerating health in general but some of these missions I would never do without it.

Who needs the fire extinguisher when the DLC planes exist?

I get my Ace S ranks by simply buying victory

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Duck posted:

Thanks for the shoutout on the OP! Sorry we sniped you, but I LOVE the AC series (except Assault Horizon, 'cause gently caress that noise) saw that 7 was coming, and told Dewgy we were absolutely doing it.

Excited to see someone who most likely is a better pilot than me take the helm here!

EDIT: I also can't say enough about how FANTASTIC the soundtrack is on this.

Thank you kindly for that. You guys did a drat good job and were a blast to listen to. Sorry about not posting in your thread, as I was kind of checked out on LPs in general at that time what with being a mod and various other things going on in my life at the time, but I really should have stopped in and shown my support. If you and Dewgy want to join me for some bonus videos or whatever, I'm sure I can find the space to fit you guys in with... something. It seems only fair at this point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Psycho Landlord posted:

Who needs the fire extinguisher when the DLC planes exist?

I get my Ace S ranks by simply buying victory

it's true, the ADMM is just an S-rank printing machine.

it worked in AC6 and it works here!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Charge The Enemy

Mission 2: Operation Eastern Wind – May 17th, 2019 | NO COMM

Overview: Mage and Golem Squadrons attack an Erusean-captured IUN airbase on Scofields Plateau as part of the IUN-PKF’s bid to secure air dominance over eastern Usea.

Guest Commentator: Kicking off the remainder of Ace Combat 7 is our inaugural guest, Shinjobi. He doesn’t do any LP work himself, but has long been a faithful fan of both Ace Combat and the various LP bullshit that Blind Sally and myself get up to all way the back to Shadows of the Empire. I wish this could have been a more interesting mission for him to comment over, but such is the way of things. Skies Unknown starts out subdued and then gets crazy very quickly, but right now we’re at the flat end of that logarithmic curve.

AIRCRAFT TREE

A remnant of Infinity.

Clearing Mission 1 in a new game of Ace Combat 7 unlocks the Aircraft Tree at the start of Mission 2.

The Aircraft Tree is Skies Unknown’s unique iteration of the hangar shop from prior Ace Combats, the original version of which first appearing in Ace Combat Infinity. As you can glimpse in the image above, the Aircraft Tree is laid out in a sprawling family tree-type branching path based on various real world aircraft service and design lineages, radiating outward from the F-16C Fighting Falcon, and ultimately converging at a single “final” unlockable plane: the X-02S Strike Wyvern. Every new plane and part purchased will unlock the next item (or items) on the path, and each entry on the Aircraft Tree must be purchased one at a time. Sometimes certain items are not unlocked until every prerequisite on the path has been purchased first. Others can be reached faster via “shortcuts” along the Aircraft Tree path, though at the risk of skipping over other parts and planes.

The F-16C and its 4AAM SP weapon are unlocked by default, and with it are unlocked the paths to the ACCEL+ engine part, the other two SP weapons for the F-16C, and the paths to the F-2A Viper Zero, the F-14D Super Tomcat, Mirage 2000-5, and the MiG-29A Fulcrum, and each of their three special weapon options. The first SP weapon of every plane purchased on the Aircraft Tree is free and unlocked by default, the subsequent two weapons need to be purchased separately. A fifth path out from the starting point of the Aircraft Tree, the Multiplayer Parts branch, is unlocked after loading the Multiplayer game mode for the first time.

To purchase planes, parts, and weaponry, you need to accumulate and spend MRP. MRP stands for “military resource points” and function similarly to the credits earned in prior games. MRP is earned by completing missions and competing in multiplayer matches, with higher MRP bonus amounts paid out for better performance in each mode. You can also earn MRP by replaying missions in Free Mission mode once you complete them in the campaign. Later missions in the game pay out more MRP, but the fastest way to earn large sums is by playing (and doing well in) multiplayer games. This is how the game incentivizes players to experiment in Multiplayer mode, however multiplayer is kind of broken and systemically unfair towards newer players—but that’s an issue we’ll discuss later.

The MRP system in Ace Combat 7 is unique compared to previous games in that once MRP is spent, there is no getting it back. Items on the Aircraft Tree cannot be sold to recoup MRP. Once they are purchased, you own it forever, so the game heavily implores you to consider your options before committing to a purchase, because if you make a mistake anywhere—you own it. The upshot is, this is a risk that diminishing over time, as the more you play through the game and the more of the Aircraft Tree you unlock, the less room for making “errors” you’ll have, and eventually, if you put the time in, you will unlock the entire drat tree, so it ultimately won’t matter in the long run. But in the early parts of a brand new game, these choices can be make-or-break.

The opposite side of this problem arises much later in the game once you DO unlock the entire Aircraft Tree. You’re eventually left with an ever-increasing MRP cache, and nothing to spend it on. Though this is eventually true of every Ace Combat game if you keep replaying through it enough times.

That said, there are three trophies/achievements that do incentivize continued MRP accumulation long after the use for it has expired. The “Need A Bigger Wallet” cheevo unlocks at 5,000,000 total MPR, the “Need A Bigger Bank Account” one unlocks at 25,000,000 total MPR, and the “MRP Aplenty” one unlocks at 40,000,000 MRP total. Only 1.4% of people who’ve played Ace Combat 7 on the PlayStation 4 have unlocked the “MRP Aplenty” trophy, yours truly among them. That number rises to 5% on PC (also among that club, but I cheated to get there because I did it once legit and gently caress that noise doing it twice), and a solid 1% even on the Xbox One.

Every item on the Aircraft Tree is colour coded for easy identification in addition to the detailed readouts the game provides for them. Fighter aircraft and air-to-air SP weapons are blue, Attacker aircraft and air-to-ground SP weapons are red, Multi-Role aircraft are purple, weapon-enhancing parts are orange, aircraft body parts are yellow, electronics are green, and miscellaneous or hard to categorize SP weapons like the EML railgun, pulse lasers, or TLS or ESM weaponry is coloured gray.

Any DLC purchased for the game appears on the extreme upper left-hand corner of the Aircraft Tree on an unconnected sequestered grid. This includes pre-order and Deluxe Edition content like the F-4E and both versions of the F-104C (including Avril’s stainless steel F-104C -AV-), and planes purchased through various content packs like the ADFX-01 Morgan, ADF-01 FALKEN, CFA-44 Nosferatu, XFA-27 Scarface, and the so on and so forth.

There are a total of five DLC packs which add additional planes to the Aircraft Tree: the Season Pass (ADF-11F RAVEN, ADFX-01 Morgan, ADF-01 FALKEN (as well as the Music Player and all three SP Missions)), the Original Aircraft Series Set (CFA-44 Nosferatu, ASF-X Shinden II, XFA-27 Scarface), the Experimental Aircraft Series Set (F-16XL, F-15S/MTD, F-B22 Strike Raptor), the Cutting-edge Aircraft Series Set (F/A-18F Super Hornet Block III, F-2A -Super Kai-, MiG-35D Super Fulcrum), and the TOP GUN: Maverick Aircraft Set (DarkStar, F-14A Tomcat, F-14A Tomcat | TGM, F/A-18E Super Hornet, F/A-18E Super Hornet | TGM, 5th Gen Fighter | TGM). Planes from the first four sets can be purchased in bulk or individually à la carte at a reduced price if you only want specific aircraft. There is no à la carte version of the TOP GUN: Maverick set.

All DLC planes are unlocked for use immediately after purchase from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, or Steam Store, even on a brand new first time game. This includes all of their SP weapons and paint skins as well.

For those curious about how much it takes to unlock the full Aircraft Tree, I did the math once. The single player Aircraft Tree requires a total of 18,574,000 MRP to unlock every plane, part and weapon on it. This total increases to 32,074,000 MRP to unlock the both halves of the Aircraft Tree, single and multiplayer alike. That means even if you purchase everything the in-game economy has to sell you, you will still be 7,926,000 MRP away from earning the “MRP Aplenty” trophy.

You’re gonna be here for a while.

SCOFIELDS PLATEAU

Also known as Scofield Plateau. A vast stretch of flat farmland and forest areas in south-eastern Usea, just north of the Seals Bridge peninsula. The plateau lies at the southern foothills of the mountain range that forms the spine of the Usean continent where the Usean and Cascade tectonic plates collide.

The area is home to both a large weapons production facility, and an IUN-PKF air base, however both facilities have fallen under control of the Erusean army since Erusea’s blitz attack on Osean and IUN interests on Usea.

444TH AIR BASE

Unlike the Fort Grays Island Air Base, the 444th Air Base in Zapland, on the east coast of Usea is operated explicitly by the Osean Air Defense Force rather than the International Union, and is one of Osea’s many overseas bases on foreign soil.

The 444th Air Base is not an official or “regular” OADF base but is in fact a penal facility for soldiers, sailors, and pilots convicted in Osean military courts and tribunals, or for civilians tried under military jurisdiction under Osea’s controversial wartime emergency powers legislation. This is the flimsy reasoning the OADF used to charge and convict Arvil Mead. Claiming her presence in an OADF air engagement zone made her an “enemy combatant,” she was promptly sentenced to a military prison and sent to Zapland with a fresh slate of new convicts, military and civilian alike.

The base’s commander, an OADF colonel of little actual renown or military prowess, doubles as the warden of the prison. 444th also doubles as an aircraft boneyard. Surplus or damaged aircraft from both Osea and around the FCU were sent to Zapland for decommissioning and disassembly, but have now begun to factor into the OADF’s battle doctrine against Erusea.

With the outbreak of the war, the Osean Army Corp. of Engineers has begun a massive “expansion” project on the Zapland base’s breakers yard. However, it is all a grand diversion tactic. The desert has been coated with tar and white paint to mimic the appearance of a runway from the air, and the derelict planes are slowly being superficially repaired to resemble complete air frames in order to trick the Eruseans into thinking the bulk of the OADF forces on Usea are stationed at Zapland.

The deception appears to be working, as Erusean Bear and Blackjack squadrons bombard the 444th boneyard on a near-daily basis, blowing up aircraft that would never fly again anyway. As the Eruseans waste time, ordnance and resources and bog themselves down at Zapland, it has allowed for the IUN to launch effective airstrikes against Erusean interests across Usea from regular air bases like Fort Grays.

“CLEAN WAR”

So the reason why Charge The Enemy is such a quiet* mission compared to its successors later in the game is because it’s the one that introduces a few of the central themes that Ace Combat 7 would like to spend time talking about. And it can’t really do that while insane lasers are firing everywhere or you can’t hear yourself think because some rear end in a top hat is screaming about bedsheets.

The first of these themes is the debate on the nature of a “clean war” and whether one can even exist. In the preceding cutscene, Avril’s narration tells us that Erusea’s first strike against Osea was effectively as clean as clean could be. They utilized a fleet of drones to strike military targets only in Osea and Usea, sunk virtually all of Osea’s aircraft carriers and did crippling damage to air and naval bases, put none of their own people at risk, and incurred zero civilian casualties doing so. Contrast that with Osea’s blundering retaliatory strike on Farbanti from the Kestrel II, which resulted in massive Erusean civilian casualties and has quickly turned into a PR nightmare for Osea and has allowed Erusea to garner massive amounts of international sympathy by playing the victim, using Princess Cossette as their mouthpiece.

And yet nobody seems to be questioning Erusea’s culpability here, either. They broke international laws and possibly committed some war crimes by smuggling their container launched UAVs into Osea in the first place as disguised surprise-attack weapons. And we saw firsthand from their attack on Fort Grays that nothing about these strikes was exactly “clean”. While no civilians were among the dead, the military personnel who were were still people. And a lot of people died when the Albatross was sunk in her berth. How many more also died around Osea as a result of Erusea’s attack?

This is probably about as close as the game comes that patented Guerrilla Games/Killzone style straight-faced cynicism about the real cost of warfare. Both Osea and Erusea are massive pieces of poo poo, and we’re not invited to root for either of them, though they have found their fans on either side. A lot of the time it’s ironic, but there’s more than a few out there who completely miss the point, and for a game series that lays subtly’s head gently against the curb and then crushes the poo poo out of it with a size 38 white velvet steeltoed DayGlo boot, that’s amazing.

This first part about the clean war is emphasized with the early mission dialog between Brownie, Clown, and Knocker. We’re supposed to side with Brownie here when she asked “Hey, if we shoot down planes and launch missiles at ground targets in civilian areas… that’s a bad thing, right?” and not with Knocker and Clown who are like “Yeah, no, it’s cool. This is how wars are fought.” Knocker and Clown are able to compartmentalize and rationalize the uncomfortable realities away, and when Knocker celebrates “no casualties” at the end of the mission, Brownie’s quick to chime in with “yeah, no friendly MILITARY casualties, but what about the people on the ground?” and then game goes DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT and cuts to the debriefing. And this will be roughly the last time the game brings this up, or at least brings up this clear-cut.

Without saying it, the game is fully on the side of the idea of a modernized, sanitized, automated war being complete bullshit that people make up to try and delude themselves and escape culpability.

And what is the singular crystallizing embodiment of that attempt to escape culpability? Why we meet them here in the back half of this mission. It’s...

DRONES

I bet you didn’t think we’d be back talking about this buzzword again so soon, didn’t you? Well, here we are.

The MQ-99s which make their debut in this mission are the cornerstone of Erusea’s “clean war” battle doctrine. Their argument is that since they don’t have the raw manpower to stand up to a massive hegemony like Osea in a straight fight, they’ve turned to machinery and automation to make up the difference. This puts fewer Erusean lives in danger on the front lines, and drives down the material cost of “defending Erusean national sovereignty” by placing bulk orders from a company that is effectively just a chain of automated factories now where machines build other machines in perpetuity.

...Seriously, we’re SURE Jorhan Stahl’s dead now right? how many of you even bothered to watch Killzone: Shadow Fall, anyway?

The Eruseans are teetering on a knife’s edge here playing with a very dangerous force. They’ve decided to effectively let an algorithm fight a war for them. To push a button and let the drones fly and score kills for them and then sit back and high five about how cool and morally superior they are because the drones did their jobs and killed the people they were programmed to kill, and they are all cool and good and responsible people who are blameless here.

Luckily, we’re at the early point in this whole debacle where the algorithm the Eruseans pray to is still a pile of poo poo and the drones that it guides aren’t much better, but these things have a way of slipping out of people’s control very quickly. See Facebook and YouTube here in the real world coming out and all but admitting they lost control of the algorithms they put in charge of moderating and managing content, and those broken, corrupted algorithms turning around and bringing the worst aspects of humanity out in their respective user bases, which then floods out to corrupt the rest of the Internet and eventually into real life as well.

I said that one of the core themes of this game is “Man vs. Machine” and this is our first real brush with it in Mission 2. So far, Man and Machine are even at 1-1 a piece, but don’t expect that score to stay even for very long. There is a genie desperately knocking at the cork on the bottle it’s trapped inside, and it gets looser with every bump. And when that cork is finally dislodged and that genie gets out, nothing good will follow in its wake.

CUT CONTENT

“There is no truth in the discarded data.” - Kazutoki Kono

But what the gently caress does he know? :v:

As it turns out, there is a LOT of cut or at the very least provisional content from prior versions of the game hidden within Ace Combat 7’s data. This includes audio files of alternate line reads, dialog that was cut completely, a few unused and dummied out models, even data files pertaining to at least three additional unmade VR missions beyond the three that are in the game already.

The yeoman’s work being done to unearth and catalog all of this “discarded data” in the game’s code is being done by a gentleman by the handle of Spare 6 “Keynote”, aka @KeystoneWolf on Twitter. Since at least August of 2019, he’s been waging a one-man war on Skies Unknown’s labyrinthine code to find every last scrap of material that does not actually appear in the game itself and catalog it in a workbook he’s currently compiling. You can see the results of his handiwork on his Twitter timeline, on his YouTube page found here, and in Cut Combat 7: Content Unknown available for viewing and downloading here.

Just :siren::siren:BE AWARE:siren::siren: a lot of the content covered on both of these pages contains spoilers for basically the entirety of the rest of the game. So if you’re going through this LP blind and don’t want to be spoiled on the various twists and turns this game takes, then hold off until after we’re on the other side of Mission 20.

Relevant to our immediate interests, however, is this: an alternate version of the cutscenes “This Is War” and “444th Air Base” that contain different versions of Arvil’s narration on her personal history and the conflicts she recaps. This alternate take is far more explicit and clearly differentiates the Continental War of Ace Combat 04 from the Circum-Pacific War of Ace Combat 5, whereas in the version that’s in the final game, she describes them in far more ambiguous and confusing terms. This is fairly important for helping to understand Avril’s history and her family timeline because her “canon” narration makes it sound like her father died during Ace Combat 04 and that Osea was somehow involved in that war, when he actually died during Ace Combat 5, most likely fighting in Yuktobania.

The Intro to Ace Combat 7 also has alternate lines that tell a slightly altered story as well. In previous versions of Avril’s narration, her grandfather factors far more prominently, and instead of a whole crew of old pilots working together to build the Starfighter, it’s just one other guy who’s an old military buddy of Grandpa Mead. She also mentions she has prior flight training and that the drone she spots in the desert that day was actually sighted at the airfield where she was renting her trainer plane from. None of this is particularly important, but it offers an interesting alternate take on Avril’s history and characterization that helps supplement what we see in the game itself.

This is all just emblematic of Ace Comabt 7’s notorious somewhat troubled development cycle. The game was substantially re-written at some point, and the decision to include a VR mode utilizing the PSVR infrastructure facilitated a number of fundamental changes to the game that added close to a year onto its already lengthy (for an Ace Combat) development cycle. Even after years of datamining and reverse-engineering by multiple people, the true picture of “What Could Have Been” for Ace Combat 7 remains a murky phantom image at best. The staff at Project ACES tend to be notoriously tight-lipped about this sort of thing, see Kono’s “discarded data” quote, only opening up about the deep secrets of each game’s development—and development tangents—on their terms, and incredibly rarely.

And for a game about people struggling to do their best at the impossible task of inferring a complete picture from incomplete data, I’d say that’s actually highly appropriate in a way.

MQ-99
Manufacturer: North Osea Gründer Industries GmbH
Role: Unmanned Aerial Combat Vehicle
Manufactured: ????-2019
Primary Operators: Erusea
Quick Facts:
  • One of the latest models of combat-capable UAV on the market today.
  • Its sleek design resembles that of a standard jet fighter.
  • Capable of pulling 9g combat maneuvers, just at the upper limit of what a human pilot can withstand.
  • Sacrifices armor for speed and maneuverability. Just one missile can destroy an MQ-99.
  • Its small size and sharp angles reduce its radar cross-section and allow it a limited degree of stealth at long range.
  • Can be remote piloted or operate autonomously on basic combat algorithms.
  • Can be deployed from covertly converted cargo containers, allowing for infiltration of enemy territory via sea and land ports.
  • The Osean government claims the container-launch capabilities are a violation of international laws.
  • The Erusean government insists the drones are a clean-kill system and have caused zero civilian casualties so far.

Jester
    Joe Barker
    39, Male, Major, Erusea
    Erusean Air Force 148th Air Division, 21st Reconnaissance Squadron
  • Plane: MiG-29A Fulcrum
  • Mission 2
  • Spawn conditions: Destroy the TGT Control Tower at the air base after destroying all TGT Radar Vehicles, but before the MQ-99 drones deploy. Spawns on the base’s taxiway after the UAVs launch and will take off and engage the player if not destroyed on the ground.

quote:

Major Joe Barker

Callsign: Jester

Unit: Erusean Air Force, 18th Fighter Wing, 128th Fighter Squadron

May 17, 2019 - Operation Eastern Wind (Killed in Action)

He was deployed to the captured Scofield Air Force Base in order to defend a line of early-warning radar vehicles. His craft had engine problems on the morning of May 17, and his aircraft was destroyed on the runway by an Osean fighter, killing him.

Tracks featured in Mission 2:

DISC 1

The Complete (Single Player) Aircraft Tree, compiled with help from LP Friend SlyCooperFan1:

Non-Spoiler Version | Spoiler Version

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 4, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Aeromancia posted:

I'm sure everything will go perfectly fine in this new war, no war crimes for sure!

That OBC segment mentioned hiding drones in shipping containers, and I'm pretty sure disguising military forces as civilians is a war crime. Not a great start.

EDIT: as mentioned in the post above, which wasn't there when I posted this

Deep Dish Fuckfest fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 3, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It also probably gave Larry Bond a weird feeling he hasn't felt since World In Conflict came out back in 2007!

(for those of you who don't know, he co-wrote Red Storm Rising and has a thing for container-ship or similar cargo-based trojan horses)

Multiplayer is a whole lot of "wow I wish they'd had time to actually finish this" but I do recall grinding some early on to grab the F-15C/PLSL and it's just raw TDM or FFA, the worst modes this franchise has to offer. Considering they've done better MP in 6 (sort of), and absolutely better in AH and Infinity, it was kind of a hard blow to see just how miserable it was here when they'd clearly demonstrated the ability to do it right at least twice before.

I chalk it up to being a casualty of the devcycle hell, as I can easily see it slipping below a lot of other higher priority items, but we'll probably never really know.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 3, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

MQ-99
Manufacturer: North Osea Gründer Industries GmbH

This will never not be hilarious to me. Osea was A-Ok selling war-crimes-in-a-box to Erusea, until it got turned against them. It's not like they didn't know about Gründer selling stuff to other countries this time; the loving shipping containers the drones get launched from have the Gründer logo and everything on them in the cutscenes.

Also unlocking everything in the aircraft tree didn't seem that long to me, and that's despite my save file mysteriously vanishing at some point after I did that, so I had to do it a second time. I guess I just like this game a lot; I'm not usually the kind of person that 100% games, but in this case I actually S ranked everything on Ace.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The second I saw those fruit trucks I got the Dahir Inshaat (?) flashbacks too. At least the drones inside of them aren't as ridiculous as the Quad Murdercopter or their deadly heart surgery technology.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Psion posted:

Multiplayer is a whole lot of "wow I wish they'd had time to actually finish this" but I do recall grinding some early on to grab the F-15C/PLSL and it's just raw TDM or FFA, the worst modes this franchise has to offer. Considering they've done better MP in 6 (sort of), and absolutely better in AH and Infinity, it was kind of a hard blow to see just how miserable it was here when they'd clearly demonstrated the ability to do it right at least twice before.

I played it for a little bit and found a sweet spot with low to mid-tier planes where it was actually enjoyable.
I even managed to get first place on my second match too. With the F-16C with SASM going by the screens I took just so I could remember the rare times of me being good at games.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

This will never not be hilarious to me. Osea was A-Ok selling war-crimes-in-a-box to Erusea, until it got turned against them. It's not like they didn't know about Gründer selling stuff to other countries this time; the loving shipping containers the drones get launched from have the Gründer logo and everything on them in the cutscenes.

Also unlocking everything in the aircraft tree didn't seem that long to me, and that's despite my save file mysteriously vanishing at some point after I did that, so I had to do it a second time. I guess I just like this game a lot; I'm not usually the kind of person that 100% games, but in this case I actually S ranked everything on Ace.

Gründer is like the prime example strongest possible case for some kind of corporate death penalty existing and it is loving hilarious that they are still not only existing but apparently thriving after the Circum-Pacific War. It's like they used it as some kind of sizzle reel to attract new clients instead of some kind of mywarcrimes.mp4 thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's especially funny when you boot up the game and see the logos of the real life defense companies they licensed the planes from who probably also have done a war crimes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And now I'm imagining some Gründer lobbyist showing video after video of insane Dahir Insaat-style presentations to defense officials the world over going "No we don't have that yet, but we can totally make it happen if you want!". And it's actually true.

In fact, I'm going to assume they just have world class lobbyists in Oured and that's why no one in Osea gives a poo poo if they're exporting arms all over the place, as long as the bribes campaign contributions and cushy post-retirement jobs keep coming in. It's a defense contractor tradition, after all.

edit: ^also this

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Gründer is like the prime example strongest possible case for some kind of corporate death penalty existing and it is loving hilarious that they are still not only existing but apparently thriving after the Circum-Pacific War. It's like they used it as some kind of sizzle reel to attract new clients instead of some kind of mywarcrimes.mp4 thing.

The whole Grey Man conspiracy was classified, so they presumably slipped through the cracks. But yeah, I imagine getting away with that has left Grunder to assume it can get away with anything.

It cannot.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

It's especially funny when you boot up the game and see the logos of the real life defense companies they licensed the planes from who probably also have done a war crimes.

considering Lockheed's track record to date with bribery scandals alone, yeah, this is a pretty safe bet to make

and they're far from alone in that list, to be clear

In fact, I'm going to assume they just have world class lobbyists in Oured and that's why no one in Osea gives a poo poo

hey crow is there any canonical information on how good Belka's cocaine is? because I'm just saying here, Grunder's marketing arm really seems to be suspiciously effective...

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 3, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At this point, I just assume that most parties involved in the institution of war have violated the Geneva Convention at least once.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

AIRCRAFT TREE

A remnant of Infinity.

Clearing Mission 1 in a new game of Ace Combat 7 unlocks the Aircraft Tree at the start of Mission 2.

The Aircraft Tree is Skies Unknown’s unique iteration of the hangar shop from prior Ace Combats, the original version of which first appearing in Ace Combat Infinity. As you can glimpse in the image above, the Aircraft Tree is laid out in a sprawling family tree-type branching path based on various real world aircraft service and design lineages, radiating outward from the F-16C Fighting Falcon, and ultimately converging at a single “final” unlockable plane: the X-02S Strike Wyvern. Every new plane and part purchased will unlock the next item (or items) on the path, and each entry on the Aircraft Tree must be purchased one at a time. Sometimes certain items are not unlocked until every prerequisite on the path has been purchased first. Others can be reached faster via “shortcuts” along the Aircraft Tree path, though at the risk of skipping over other parts and planes.

The F-16C and its 4AAM SP weapon are unlocked by default, and with it are unlocked the paths to the ACCEL+ engine part, the other two SP weapons for the F-16C, and the paths to the F-2A Viper Zero, the F-14D Super Tomcat, Mirage 2000-5, and the MiG-29A Fulcrum, and each of their three special weapon options. The first SP weapon of every plane purchased on the Aircraft Tree is free and unlocked by default, the subsequent two weapons need to be purchased separately. A fifth path out from the starting point of the Aircraft Tree, the Multiplayer Parts branch, is unlocked after loading the Multiplayer game mode for the first time.

To purchase planes, parts, and weaponry, you need to accumulate and spend MRP. MRP stands for “military resource points” and function similarly to the credits earned in prior games. MRP is earned by completing missions and competing in multiplayer matches, with higher MRP bonus amounts paid out for better performance in each mode. You can also earn MRP by replaying missions in Free Mission mode once you complete them in the campaign. Later missions in the game pay out more MRP, but the fastest way to earn large sums is by playing (and doing well in) multiplayer games. This is how the game incentivizes players to experiment in Multiplayer mode, however multiplayer is kind of broken and systemically unfair towards newer players—but that’s an issue we’ll discuss later.

The MRP system in Ace Combat 7 is unique compared to previous games in that once MRP is spent, there is no getting it back. Items on the Aircraft Tree cannot be sold to recoup MRP. Once they are purchased, you own it forever, so the game heavily implores you to consider your options before committing to a purchase, because if you make a mistake anywhere—you own it. The upshot is, this is a risk with diminishing returns, as the more you play through the game and the more of the Aircraft Tree you unlock, the less room for making “errors” you’ll have, and eventually, if you put the time in, you will unlock the entire drat tree, so it ultimately won’t matter in the long run. But in the early parts of a brand new game, these choices can be make-or-break.

The opposite side of this problem arises much later in the game once you DO unlock the entire Aircraft Tree. You’re eventually left with an ever-increasing MRP cache, and nothing to spend it on. Though this is eventually true of every Ace Combat game if you keep replaying through it enough times.

That said, there at three trophies/achievements that do incentivize continued MRP accumulation long after the use for it has expired. The “Need A Bigger Wallet” cheevo unlocks at 5,000,000 total MPR, the “Need A Bigger Bank Account” one unlocks at 25,000,000 total MPR, and the “MRP Aplenty” one unlocks at 40,000,000 MRP total. Only 1.4% of people who’ve played Ace Combat 7 on the PlayStation 4 have unlocked the “MRP Aplenty” trophy, yours truly among them. That number rises to 5% on PC (also among that club, but I cheated to get there because I did it once legit and gently caress that noise doing it twice), and a solid 1% even on the Xbox One.

Every item on the Aircraft Tree is colour coded for easy identification in addition to the detailed readouts the game provides for them. Fighter aircraft and air-to-air SP weapons are blue, Attacker aircraft and air-to-ground SP weapons are red, Multi-Role aircraft are purple, weapon-enhancing parts are orange, aircraft body parts are yellow, electronics are green, and miscellaneous or hard to categorize SP weapons like the EML railgun, pulse lasers, or TLS or ESM weaponry is coloured gray.

Any DLC purchased for the game appears on the extreme upper left-hand corner of the Aircraft Tree on an unconnected sequestered grid. This includes pre-order and Deluxe Edition content like the F-4E and both versions of the F-104C (including Avril’s stainless steel F-104C -AV-), and planes purchased through various content packs like the ADFX-01 Morgan, ADF-01 FALKEN, CFA-44 Nosferatu, XFA-27 Scarface, and the so on and so forth.

All DLC planes are unlocked for use immediately after purchase from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, or Steam Store, even on a brand new first time game. This includes all of their SP weapons and paint skins as well.

For those curious about how much it takes to unlock the full Aircraft Tree, I did the math once. The single player Aircraft Tree requires a total of 18,574,000 MRP to unlock every plane, part and weapon on it. This total increases to 32,074,000 MRP to unlock the both halves of the Aircraft Tree, single and multiplayer alike. That means even if you purchase everything the in-game economy has to sell you, you will still be 7,926,000 MRP away from earning the “MRP Aplenty” trophy.

You’re gonna be here for a while.

One important thing to note is the very first time you complete a mission you get a large bonus to the amount of MRP you receive, so as long as you stay mostly with a family of aircraft you should easily be able to buy midgame and even lategame aircraft as they become useful to have.
As an example I stayed mostly at the top of the tree so I had the F 15's and the F-18 as my work horses for most of my first playthough and by the last few missions I had the F22 Raptor.

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 3, 2022

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mr.Flibble posted:

One important thing to note is the very first time you complete a mission you get a large bonus to the amount of MRP you receive, so as long as you stay mostly with a family of aircraft you should easily be able to buy midgame and even lategame aircraft as they become useful to have.

One thing I remember from my own playthrough was that you aren't at such a big handicap without the lategame planes. I'm pretty sure I settled into the Saab from SPOILER around mission 10 or so until the end of the game.

Then I used some superplane or other to go for some aces

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 3, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

poo poo, I should do an all Gripen run of the campaign. That could be interesting.
Even if I have a hunch it might be a bit annoying after some point.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

crow on the small chance that you still have bonus footage to capture, i request just seeing the prettiest plane (yf-23) flying around whatever you think is the prettiest landscape

Waffleman_ posted:

At this point, I just assume that most parties involved in the institution of war have violated the Geneva Convention at least once.

what the hell is a "Geneva"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I always mean to get around to replaying seven but lord drones are obnoxious

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

biosterous posted:

They meant Nevage, a city in Ustio.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

"Geneva? What planet do you think you're on!?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sally posted:

The one with Italian food

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Going against the grain here, but I actually prefer the versions of the cutscenes we got in the game rather than the deleted footage, if only because they flow much better and make much more sense narratively.

In any case, I’m quite pleased that the Viper Zero is being given time to shine. It’s so overlooked in the franchise! But it shouldn’t be, because it’s a good early-mid tier plane.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Glad you got to it first before I did.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

That OBC segment mentioned hiding drones in shipping containers, and I'm pretty sure disguising military forces as civilians is a war crime. Not a great start.

EDIT: as mentioned in the post above, which wasn't there when I posted this

Nope, legitimate ruse de guerre, provided they dropped the disguise first, and had already declared war. See, fighting under false colors is a warcrime, but driving up to the German frontline in a captured tank before popping up a British flag and firing is perfectly OK.

Containers full of drones are basically a modern-day interpretation of Q-ships.

edit: I was trying to think of examples of civilian shipping firing upon military vessels and was struck by the unpleasant realization that Han Solo is a warcrimer. The Millennium Falcon counts as a civilian ship, right? Did he paint a Rebel flag on it, or loudly declare his affiliation before shooting Darth Vader's TIE fighter?

sandorius fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 4, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

sandorius posted:

Nope, legitimate ruse de guerre, provided they dropped the disguise first, and had already declared war.

Pretty sure they didn't. Avril certainly had no idea there was a war on, and the defenders of Fort Grays Airbase likewise had no idea who their attackers were. The evidence seems to strongly suggest that Erusea launched a massive and debilitating attack against Osea and the FCU completely unprompted, which is typically regarded as a dick move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure they didn't. Avril certainly had no idea there was a war on, and the defenders of Fort Grays Airbase likewise had no idea who their attackers were. The evidence seems to strongly suggest that Erusea launched a massive and debilitating attack against Osea and the FCU completely unprompted, which is typically regarded as a dick move.

Yeah, Erusea struck first then announced to the world "We declare war on Osea...'s smouldering wreckage which we just obliterated." Avril and the IUN only managed to identify the aggressors as Erusean while in the sky and spotting the Erusean rose on their wingtips.

Also god help the Eruseans if there was a Fall 2021-style shipping backlog clogging up all of Osea's ports at the time so that when the brass pushed the button to launch the attack, half their drone fleet was buried under hundreds of other containers at Port St. Hewlett so the launch rigs couldn't spring open and they all just exploded trying to take off.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 4, 2022

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I wonder whether this series is also commentary on nuclear deterrent as well. I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy, but it seems like someone is trying to say that in this world where nuking someone is utterly unthinkable, everyone knows that MAD is an empty threat so all these continent-spanning conventional wars between major powers keep popping up like mushrooms.

Or I'm just reading too much into the need for a new major conventional war whenever project ACES wants to make a new game...

At any rate, it is really good to see someone pointing out the incongruity of all the celebration of fighter planes and the glory of being an ace pilot as an art form, with the not-so-subtle anti-war messaging. The silence of the gap between these two things says a lot. For example the cutscene before the first mission where the narrator's getting all poetic about her grandpa and his buddies being fighter jocks, while she ignores the reality that a soldier's job, defender or aggressor, is still to fight and kill on command.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I wonder whether this series is also commentary on nuclear deterrent as well. I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy, but it seems like someone is trying to say that in this world where nuking someone is utterly unthinkable, everyone knows that MAD is an empty threat so all these continent-spanning conventional wars between major powers keep popping up like mushrooms.

Or I'm just reading too much into the need for a new major conventional war whenever project ACES wants to make a new game...

At any rate, it is really good to see someone pointing out the incongruity of all the celebration of fighter planes and the glory of being an ace pilot as an art form, with the not-so-subtle anti-war messaging. The silence of the gap between these two things says a lot. For example the cutscene before the first mission where the narrator's getting all poetic about her grandpa and his buddies being fighter jocks, while she ignores the reality that a soldier's job, defender or aggressor, is still to fight and kill on command.

We touched on this a bit all the way back in Zero. The lampshade that's being hung on everything is that the Seven Pillars strike by Belka on itself terrified the world into dismantling a lot of their nukes, and the climax of 5 involves nukes being deployed as an absolute last resort. Really, the reason why there are no nukes in Ace Combat is because the series knows full well that fighter planes are an obsolete entity just barely hanging on to a justification for their existence by their fingernails, and the reason for that obsolescence is nuclear weaponry. Take away nukes, and suddenly fighter jets have a raison d'etre again.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I was reading through the Wikipedia page about arguments for and against the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki the other night. One of the arguments concerns whether the two cities constituted military targets or not. What complicates the matter is that because of how dispersed Japanese industry was just about every household was involved in the production of war materials so they could (arguably) be considered military targets. Similarly since large segments of the population were being given militia training, or were just told they were now in a militia formation, they could (arguably) be considered military personnel. I don't know much about military law so I don't know how those arguments would hold up, either then or now, but if they're true then it seems you could consider just about any war a "clean war".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Not enough Ace Combat footage being observed from within a cockpit. How hard could it be? Crow's been getting a little stiff lately. Be careful not to eject, rejects like you won't have a normal discharge.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I guess you could say that anyone that you kill in this game was.... Triggered :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The only clean war we have to worry about is me not spilling my mcdonalds bbq sauce all over the controls when I loop this sumbitch