Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

maruhkati posted:

Here, at the end of this LP series, I present to you the only proper way to assess the Ace Combat games.

Counterargument: 7, unlike 5, does not have the player's squadmates talk at length about the evils of war and how they hate shooting people down, despite being fighter pilots. It also, unlike 5, does not have the player defect to create a third faction of good guys, and the cute dog dies instead of talking on the radio.

I think the jury will find that, as anime as 7 is, 5 is even more anime.

(Also, Zero ends with Cipher and his best-friend-turned-archnemesis in a duel to the death where Pixy goes on at length about his philosophy of war. It's one of the most anime scenes in the whole series.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: 7, unlike 5, does not have the player's squadmates talk at length about the evils of war and how they hate shooting people down, despite being fighter pilots. It also, unlike 5, does not have the player defect to create a third faction of good guys, and the cute dog dies instead of talking on the radio.

I think the jury will find that, as anime as 7 is, 5 is even more anime.

(Also, 5 ends with Cipher and his best-friend-turned-archnemesis in a duel to the death where Pixy goes on at length about his philosophy of war. It's one of the most anime scenes in the whole series.)

I can see the arguments going that way for Zero, though I feel it's one of the least anime entries in terms of its aesthetic even if its writing is anime as gently caress. TBH you're probably just flat-out right about 5. Could've just been recency bias on my part, though in my defense 7 has a literal princess in it while 5 has Puddle of Mudd.

My hottest take is definitely having Electrosphere as only the third-most anime entry despite the fact that its story is told through literal anime FMVs, but the power of anime in the rest of the series is just too strong. Electrosphere's issue is less "too anime" and more "wrong genre of anime."

Bear in mind, this axis is based on "too much" and "not enough." The proper amount of anime for an Ace Combat game is definitely not zero.

Overall I'm definitely open to criticism of my placement of specific games, but I firmly believe I'm on to something with my Cartesian System of Ace Combat Quality.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 5, 2022

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

5 also has a Princess, in a literal fairytale that is an allegory for the main story :colbert:

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
We don't encounter that princess in the game itself except through the book's title. The story needs to be read elsewhere.

Still, you've more or less convinced me already, though I think it's a lot closer if we include the DLC missions. Those missions may be the most densely anime-packed in the series. Whole lotta weeb-per-minute in those bad boys.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

maruhkati posted:

We don't encounter that princess in the game itself except through the book's title. The story needs to be read elsewhere.

Still, you've more or less convinced me already, though I think it's a lot closer if we include the DLC missions. Those missions may be the most densely anime-packed in the series. Whole lotta weeb-per-minute in those bad boys.

Of course, this leads us back to the whole "right amount of anime" question.

I think it's a mistake to think of anime as a single axis, although it may be necessary for convenient charting. There are multiple ways for something to be Extremely Anime, after all. (And Code Geass is all of them.) In the literal sense, Ace Combat 3, 4, X, and 7 have their cutscenes produced by anime studios, with Production I.G. covering 3, Studio 4C creating cutscenes for 4 and X, and Evangelion's famed Studio Khara handling Ace Combat 7. In a less literal sense, you have things like the over-the-top rivalry in Zero, the speeches on the nature of war, and the involvement of random civilians.

Some anime things, like big rival speeches, work great for Ace Combat, enhancing its nature as a heir to classical war poems, with champions shaping the fates of whole wars by their natures and their rage against fate. On the other hand, girls running to school with toast in their mouths, while anime, would kind of hurt the tone.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Following the basketball offseason, it occurs to me that pretty much every line of dialogue from David North could be accompanied by that Brian Windhorst image macro.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So now that the LP's over and I've had about a week to decompress, it's time, for anyone still milling around this thread, to start thinking about BONUS CONTENT!

:siren::siren::siren:What stuff that I haven't shown off yet would you like to see done in Ace Combat 7?:siren::siren::siren:

Please mark your requests in bold so that I won't skip over them while scrolling back through the thread.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Do ridiculous stuff with the Darkstar.

I got nothing else tbh. v:v:v

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

So now that the LP's over and I've had about a week to decompress, it's time, for anyone still milling around this thread, to start thinking about BONUS CONTENT!

:siren::siren::siren:What stuff that I haven't shown off yet would you like to see done in Ace Combat 7?:siren::siren::siren:

Please mark your requests in bold so that I won't skip over them while scrolling back through the thread.

MiG-21+ MGP on Pipeline Destruction. Or kill the Arsenal Bird with it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gunpod down an oilrig airport thing sounds like fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gervasius posted:

MiG-21+ MGP on Pipeline Destruction. Or kill the Arsenal Bird with it.
Any MiG-21 shenanigans.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Blast the Arsenal Bird's radar dome out with a railgun. The first died to one, it's only poetic justice the second does, too.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Cheats on, kill as many MQ-101s as you can in mission 3. See if you can kill more drones than the Arsenal Bird actually carries. Bonus points for using a Raven with your own UAVs and becoming The Cooler Arsenal Bird.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lynneth posted:

Blast the Arsenal Bird's radar dome out with a railgun. The first died to one, it's only poetic justice the second does, too.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Then fly through the hole before it explodes

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
PSM montage set to Eurobeat music.

Because there aren't enough of those in the AC7 community.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

nine-gear crow posted:

Do a comparison video with the TLS and MPBM vs their older incarnation :smith:

Lynneth posted:

This is also a good one with the caveat that you have to do an insane PSM flip when you do it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do a flip!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Destroy every available target during the first phase of pipeline destruction as fast as you can.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SyndieKat/status/1545188865740312577

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

CRISP RED MEATS

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 10, 2022

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
On a related note, there've been a lot of memes putting Jordan Peterson into various video game cutscenes and they're all good, but none of them put him into the one genre that captures his energy most perfectly: early 90s Sierra adventure games from the "we had the developers voice the characters themselves" era. I wanna see this dweeb up against King Graham.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Play "Ten Million Relief Plan" with either the most overpowered plane for that mission, or the absolute worst plane for the mission.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I just want to see how ridiculous you can be in this game with cheats on. "Behold, true magic! INFINITY MISSILE SWARM!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
so right before crow and I started recording the audio for Dark Blue, CJacobs crashed our Discord call. it all wound up recorded and everyone gave me their audio because I guess they trusted me not to cut it up and edit it into a bad joke?

but i did.

and i forgot to post it until now. enjoy!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sally posted:

so right before crow and I started recording the audio for Dark Blue, CJacobs crashed our Discord call. it all wound up recorded and everyone gave me their audio because I guess they trusted me not to cut it up and edit it into a bad joke?

but i did.

and i forgot to post it until now. enjoy!

:allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
sally: hi i'm blind sall--
cjacobs: hey friends what's going on, i like steak n shake [editor's note: cjacobs is correct]
crow: LP done, get the gently caress out, NERD

very rude

this is of course 100% what happened in reality because there's no way sally would ever misrepresent anything to us

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So for the record, if people are still reading the thread or expecting anything new, I am working on a Mod Showcase video hopefully coming up relatively soon, but I'm kind of waiting on two things in particular to finish up before I can really get started on it, specifically

https://twitter.com/Knight_Valfodr/status/1540534768579878912

https://twitter.com/ApriliaBelka/status/1550330865963610112

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

poo poo I didn't think anything as ambitious as full new superplanes was being tried. Hope those turn out good, especially the Fenrir.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/502500/view/3385036356186119100

speaking of updates I didn't expect to see, here's an official one (new skins, emblems -- alas, no new missions. Namco I'd buy those! I know you like money!)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I will admit I love the splinter camo on the Gripen. :swoon:

Also the Project ACES Youtube channel is doing quick summaries of the Strangereal World, using their mascot Nugget.
While it is in Japanese they have added proper english subtitles so you don't have to try rely on YT's shoddy auto translate function.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnTFCyMaPNU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/502500/view/3385036356186119100

speaking of updates I didn't expect to see, here's an official one (new skins, emblems -- alas, no new missions. Namco I'd buy those! I know you like money!)

I don't imagine we'll ever get any new missions or aircraft at this point, but it IS surprising to see the game still being supported with skin DLCs even 3 years after its release.

Also for those who are interested, Ace Combat 7 is currently 80% off on Steam right now if you were looking for the right time to pick it up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh I very much doubt we'll ever get anything other than skins and emblems at this point, same as you, but I'm all too familiar with tilting at this windmill. I had AC6 when it was new, you see, and same problem there :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/KeystoneWolf/status/1565215499046514688

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:stonk:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone needs a hobby.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ONLY 56.22 mb? Pfff, what could they have cut? Two skins? :smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also please stop posting my sockpuppet account's tweets

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's a fairly interesting read if you're into this sort of stuff. I'm on the Mission 4 section right now and there's a lot of interesting trivia there, like how the rocket that destroys Sea Goblin's CH-44 and kills the team is actually rendered in-game and can be seen being fired from a nearby rooftop, and the "drone" F-18 that shoots down Mother Goose One is actually a copy of Knocker's plane and not some generic Hornet. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Could we see multiplayer shenanigans?

Also, has somebody linked Maxor's incorrect summary of this yet? (Sorry Just found this thread and haven't browsed every page)