Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

stryth posted:

Why is Osea still working with them?!?

I think Wes Scantlin is somehow to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EricFate posted:

You know what's something Wes Scantlin can be blamed for? This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilu2afX3SLc

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thinking about this mission, one thing I find interesting about it compared to the "You're hosed, run" missions in some of the earlier games?

There's no retreat line. The mission just switches from "Take down Arsenal Bird" to "Arsenal Bird is invincible. Kill everything else."

It's only mission 3, and Trigger is already showing that he's a complete lunatic.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Thinking about this mission, one thing I find interesting about it compared to the "You're hosed, run" missions in some of the earlier games?

There's no retreat line. The mission just switches from "Take down Arsenal Bird" to "Arsenal Bird is invincible. Kill everything else."

It's only mission 3, and Trigger is already showing that he's a complete lunatic.

If he wasn’t, a whole lot more people would’ve died to either the drones or to Mr. X.

He might be an aggressive, over-eager, half-cocked firework waiting for an errant spark to set him off, but he’s the IUN’s and later, Osea’s and Strangereal’s writ large aggressive, over-eager, half-cocked firework waiting for an errant spark to set him off. Still dangerous, but the damage can be directed at someone other than his superiors.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

To me, it felt more like covering the retreat in general, and it was their way of putting that to game terms. Like, if they'd all turned and ran to the return line or some other point, I imagine they'd have drones on their six in no time, but this was their way of kind of setting up a rear guard of sorts.

As to Mr. X, I kinda see him as "What if the other side had a protagonist too" sometimes. "[Trigger/Galm 1/Insert Callsign Here], do NOT let Golem Squadron escape" could easily be an objective, although the toying is definitely a dick move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

The Fort Grays Hanger music is probably the best piece of menu music I've ever heard in a game.

Also, if you fly over to where Brownie is you can actually see the entire dogfight. Unfortunately no amount of shooting at Mr. X can do anything to save her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBZvpIRb3gQ

So here's a bonus video showing this off.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Serperoth posted:

To me, it felt more like covering the retreat in general, and it was their way of putting that to game terms. Like, if they'd all turned and ran to the return line or some other point, I imagine they'd have drones on their six in no time, but this was their way of kind of setting up a rear guard of sorts.

As to Mr. X, I kinda see him as "What if the other side had a protagonist too" sometimes. "[Trigger/Galm 1/Insert Callsign Here], do NOT let Golem Squadron escape" could easily be an objective, although the toying is definitely a dick move.

For the first bit, it's more a game presentation thing. Past games had Cipher, Blaze, and Mobius 1 get into situations like this and have a "retreat" objective, even when you could optionally just kill everything instead. Trigger, by contrast, doesn't even have retreat as a possibility.

It's similar to the lines about Trigger jumping the gun in the first mission. There's a constant effort in 7 to give an idea of what Trigger is like (or at least, how he's perceived) in a way that we don't get for past protagonists. He's not a particularly deep character, but he is a character, not just a (heh) Cipher.

That said, it feels a bit early to go into detail for that argument. He's got some growing to do, after all. (At this point in 4, you still had to run from Yellow. Whatever Trigger's going to be, he's not there yet.)

And yeah. Mr. X is clearly meant to be the Enemy Ace, the greatest pilot of a past generation. He's old enough that he was flying before Cipher and Pixy got their wings, and he's still the deadliest thing in the skies. Him felling like he had his own game in the past feels like designer intent.

Aces at War even says that he only had one defeat in mock battles when training students to his best pupil.

Yellow 13.

He then resumed kicking Yellow 13's rear end every time they fought, but it was a good attempt on 13's part.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

EricFate posted:

The Belkans invented post-grunge.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. X turning up and wasting a bunch of enemy planes in seconds is precisely what the player character does every single mission, so from what I've seen so far the biggest thing that makes him more of an rear end in a top hat in my eyes compared to trigger is that he's apparently willingly being a key part of a mass killer drone program.

However, for me the morally grey bit is that, as hinted by the Amazon DroneHubTM promo video and the comment in the debriefing about the kestrel bombing a bunch of civilians, Osea isn't squeaky clean. As I see it, both Trigger and Mihaly are pretty ruthless killers, and it's what they fight for that either condemns or redeems them to any degree. On one hand, Erusea has no problems with drone-striking military targets in otherwise peaceful neighbouring countries and then rolling troops out in what looks like a land grab. On the other hand, Osea's been building military bases with insane superweapons in random countries all over the place. Note how the promo video only states that they're for defending Usea, but in the same shot they have Erusea highlighted in red and show very prominently that everything there is in easy kill-range of the Birds. A bloody masterful piece of satire.
Of course this doesn't morally justify the bullshit pre-emptive war that Erusea's embarked on, but it does do a good job of showing where some of their motivation is coming from.

Gameplay-wise, when there are these massive swarms of drones about is defense important much? I haven't actually played these games before (although I own an ageing but still working PS2 so should probably try it out), but it looks like most of the strategy is all-out aggression, trying to kill everything as quickly as possible and hoping that the same crazy manoeuvres that you have to pull off to get in a good firing spot for the next target will also jink most missiles coming at you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Chalk me up as another person who thinks Mr. X is a good character. I'm not gonna go into details why just yet because most of what he is hasn't come up, but it's gonna be fun watching the conversation develop as he gets more screentime.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Gameplay-wise, when there are these massive swarms of drones about is defense important much? I haven't actually played these games before (although I own an ageing but still working PS2 so should probably try it out), but it looks like most of the strategy is all-out aggression, trying to kill everything as quickly as possible and hoping that the same crazy manoeuvres that you have to pull off to get in a good firing spot for the next target will also jink most missiles coming at you.

Pretty much, yeah. It's why drones were touted as such a gamechanger - they fly like the player does and normally come in giant groups. You can't afford to play it super safe with them because if you do you will never, ever make any progress clearing them out, which is one of the reasons I think AC7 Ace is respectably difficult even in light of the fact that you can take two or three missile hits and live versus the one and done of older games.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

For the first bit, it's more a game presentation thing. Past games had Cipher, Blaze, and Mobius 1 get into situations like this and have a "retreat" objective, even when you could optionally just kill everything instead. Trigger, by contrast, doesn't even have retreat as a possibility.

It's similar to the lines about Trigger jumping the gun in the first mission. There's a constant effort in 7 to give an idea of what Trigger is like (or at least, how he's perceived) in a way that we don't get for past protagonists. He's not a particularly deep character, but he is a character, not just a (heh) Cipher.

That said, it feels a bit early to go into detail for that argument. He's got some growing to do, after all. (At this point in 4, you still had to run from Yellow. Whatever Trigger's going to be, he's not there yet.)

Without spoiling too much, I was happy with the dialogue they added in the DLC to expand on this.

"Too late, Trigger's already started"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AC7's main soundtrack leitmotif is so goddamn good, and they use it so well

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Something which Project Wingman seemingly noticed and did the same, with great effect.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
The shape would, I believe, be geometrically classified as a kite (a quadrilateral with two pairs of equal-length sides that meet at the same angle), and specifically a non-convex or concave kite (non-convex being a shape with one or more interior angles that are greater than 180°, or, more broadly, a shape which has any points where if you were to draw a straight line between them it would not lie within or on the shape).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm waiting for Mission 6 because this was my first AC game and doing that mission with a starter plane was an experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pretty sure I found the plane this new superweapon is based on.

An experimental solar-powered aircraft built by NASA for research.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 7, 2022

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Crazy Achmed posted:

I actually kinda work on the opposite- you go full defensive, keep jinking and notching against the drones, and snap-shot anyone who gets in front. The one bit of good news is drones go down to a single missile, so you only need to get lucky once. Also the classic 'run away then turn around and joust with them' still works. You ever take down a drone swarm using a Warthogs rocket pods?

Against singles or small groups, you stagger the missiles by a second or two- often they'll avoid the first one, but afterwards they'll fly straight to unload and let the second kill them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Makrond posted:

The shape would, I believe, be geometrically classified as a kite (a quadrilateral with two pairs of equal-length sides that meet at the same angle), and specifically a non-convex or concave kite (non-convex being a shape with one or more interior angles that are greater than 180°, or, more broadly, a shape which has any points where if you were to draw a straight line between them it would not lie within or on the shape).

Don't we call those flying wings?

Or it would be a glider, powered.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Also a bit of Northrop in it's DNA

'Flying wing' is a simple enough descriptor

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

so far my take on mr x is that he is an interesting character that i dislike and want to see more of

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Arsenal Bird Liberty launching from the Tyler Island mass driver, ACES AT WAR 2019: A History, pg 86-87.

Man this picture hurts my brain a bit. I can see the wings are lifting but intuitively I feel like it ought to be tacoing around the track.

Also I suspect the support superstructure as modeled isn't strong enough to take the reaction force of a mass-driven super-airplane making that hard vertical turn, but that's an issue endemic to mecha anime and videogames.

I can't remember, do any of the Ace Combats have an on-screen g-meter? I know they would never model having your wings rip off if you exceed the plane's max loading, because that's less fun (although it would finally give the Viper a reason to exist) but it'd be interesting to see how hard the game thinks you're turning

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Phy posted:

I can't remember, do any of the Ace Combats have an on-screen g-meter? I know they would never model having your wings rip off if you exceed the plane's max loading, because that's less fun (although it would finally give the Viper a reason to exist) but it'd be interesting to see how hard the game thinks you're turning

Not really, aside from the gas attack mission in ACX, where pulling too many G's makes the anti-gas bombs (and you) explode. However Ace7 is the first game I can think of that as least acknowledges how insane the player is at flying. You'll know when you see it.

Meanwhile Project Wingman has a lore entry that says the main reason Prez is your RIO (aside from the money) is she's the only one who can handle Monarch's G's until she doesn't

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Phy posted:

Man this picture hurts my brain a bit. I can see the wings are lifting but intuitively I feel like it ought to be tacoing around the track.

Also I suspect the support superstructure as modeled isn't strong enough to take the reaction force of a mass-driven super-airplane making that hard vertical turn, but that's an issue endemic to mecha anime and videogames.

Its made out of the same bullshit composite that made the Hresvelgr and Aigaion work, though I don't think that's ever mentioned in AC7 proper.

It's still anime space magic but it's anime space magic that's acknowledged.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paingod556 posted:

You'll know when you see it.

Oh, I remember, I've been through the main campaign. Still never got around to the DLC after bouncing off the first mission a few times.

I should try to get that done before Crow finishes the LP!

E: and Prez is the best

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Mr. X is just doing a mercenary run.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

also hi i'm the dumbass that took this many LPs to finally recognize northern canada + greenland on the strangereal map

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

also this track is lowkey really good and it's a shame a skilled player only hears it for about 90 seconds because it's super easy to blitz those F-4s at the start

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, definitely one of my major favourites from the soundtrack. Used it as a background track for a video. Just wish the guitar part was longer.
But then again, "I wish it was longer" can be said for a lot of the tracks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Crazy Achmed posted:

"Defense" in AC games mostly just boils down to "wiggle slightly when a missile is approaching from directly in front or behind you to avoid it." It's super easy to avoid individual missiles because you're so outnumbered you'll need to do it dozens of times over the course of each mission.

Like you saw in this video NGC only got hit because he was flying perfectly straight and slow to unload his guns into the AB's engines.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
What? There's a new Ace Combat LP by Crow? :bravo:

Even if it's your last, I'm glad I'll be around for the ride. Godspeed Crow :patriot:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Mr. X turning up and wasting a bunch of enemy planes in seconds is precisely what the player character does every single mission, so from what I've seen so far the biggest thing that makes him more of an rear end in a top hat in my eyes compared to trigger is that he's apparently willingly being a key part of a mass killer drone program.

However, for me the morally grey bit is that, as hinted by the Amazon DroneHubTM promo video and the comment in the debriefing about the kestrel bombing a bunch of civilians, Osea isn't squeaky clean. As I see it, both Trigger and Mihaly are pretty ruthless killers, and it's what they fight for that either condemns or redeems them to any degree. On one hand, Erusea has no problems with drone-striking military targets in otherwise peaceful neighbouring countries and then rolling troops out in what looks like a land grab. On the other hand, Osea's been building military bases with insane superweapons in random countries all over the place. Note how the promo video only states that they're for defending Usea, but in the same shot they have Erusea highlighted in red and show very prominently that everything there is in easy kill-range of the Birds. A bloody masterful piece of satire.
Of course this doesn't morally justify the bullshit pre-emptive war that Erusea's embarked on, but it does do a good job of showing where some of their motivation is coming from.

We also know that last time Osea did anything like this it was basically an economic power play to isolate any nations who didn't want to play ball. The actual actions from Osea on the global stage so far this time haven't been so bad, but the implications are more than sufficient to get most of the world on Erusea's side for the moment.

Of course, the late game reveals show that Osea actually meant what it said this time, but, well... hard not to see why people had doubts. In a nice touch, the narrative moves more towards Osea being the "good guys" rather than just "your side" as you move from Spare to Strider.

While we're talking about the story, 7 marks the return of Sunao Katabuchi, the writer for 5 and the director of the animated cutscenes in 4, after his absence for 0 and 6. (In his time away, he won the first ever Blue Ribbon award for an animation director and the Kinema Junpo best ten for Japanese film directors.) So, if you see more callbacks to 4 and 5 than to 0 and 6... well, that's part of why.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
What I'm getting from all the discussion so far is that Osea are kind of a bunch of dicks. And most importantly, Erusea did nothing wrong, oui?

I mean let's be real Osea's the one who built those flying death carriers and then parked them in Usea; Erusea just happened to be smart enough to login to the unsecured telnet server running on each of them and go "yoink" when they (righteously) declared war.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

What I'm getting from all the discussion so far is that Osea are kind of a bunch of dicks. And most importantly, Erusea did nothing wrong, oui?

I mean let's be real Osea's the one who built those flying death carriers and then parked them in Usea; Erusea just happened to be smart enough to login to the unsecured telnet server running on each of them and go "yoink" when they (righteously) declared war.

That is a reasonable impression at this point in the game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
drat it Crow you're gonna have me replaying this game again.

Best problem to have, but still!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Shinjobi posted:

drat it Crow you're gonna have me replaying this game again.

Best problem to have, but still!

It certainly has me going back to it! Never did get around to the DLC stuff the first time since I got it at launch, so that's in the cards this time 'round

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Duck posted:

It certainly has me going back to it! Never did get around to the DLC stuff the first time since I got it at launch, so that's in the cards this time 'round

Like I said earlier, if you thought 7 itself was insane, the DLC kicks it up to a whole other level. AND they're three of the best designed missions since like Heavy Command Cruiser and Liberation of Gracemeria, maybe.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The AC7 dlc is basically all of the best AC distilled into three missions, it owns.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

quote:

Major Rosie Lucas

Callsign: Bayonet

Unit: Erusean Air Force, 15th Fighter Wing, 22nd Fighter Squadron

May 30, 2019 - Operation Dual Wielder (Shot Down)

Ordered to escort the Arsenal Bird while her squadron went on ahead and engaged the enemy. Upon arrival, she was shot down, though she ejected. After the war, she became a wildlife conservationist due to how beautiful she found Chopinburg to be during her experiences.

This is a Studio Ghibli Film.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said earlier, if you thought 7 itself was insane, the DLC kicks it up to a whole other level. AND they're three of the best designed missions since like Heavy Command Cruiser and Liberation of Gracemeria, maybe.

While I want to stay quiet for the first few missions so that I don't inadvertently spoil things with my Opinions, I'm prepared to go on the record and say that when Crow told me he was doing the AC7 LP, I insisted on getting one of the DLC missions to comment over for those exact reasons.

But mostly the insanity part.

Actually who am I kidding, entirely because of the insanity part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I belatedly realized that the plot of 05 can be condensed into

"Belka would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those nuggets and their dog."