Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
My only experience with the Cars series is this clip from the Mcelroys and it made me want to avoid the series entirely.

On a more serious note, I went into AC7 mostly blind, with this mission entirely blind. Mihay in this mission managed to break my suspension of disbelief extremely hard, enough so that the intended emotional beats at the end failed to land entirely. I couldn't take Wiseman's death seriously because during the chase sequence I took a moment to look at what was going on and could suddenly see pretty much exactly the 'rails' they were on. At that point, why bother to chase Mihay when I know he's got full plot armor and nothing I could do would matter. So I spent the last quarter or so of the chase just watching from a distance instead of actually engaging.

My reaction to Wiseman's death wasn't anger or disbelief, I wasn't thinking something like 'I couldn't save him' or 'drat that guy'. It was 'meh, nothing I could have done' and 'has he lost his plot armor yet?'. Not great for keeping me invested.

I have other things to say about Mihay, in comparison to another boss from Joint Assault, but that's for later, once we see the end of Mihay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Looked up Slaughterbots on Wikipedia, neat that it was shown at the UN to get across things that just aren't conveyed with words like 'armed quadcopter'

Also there was a naysayer who seems to be the exact stereotype of the dumbass touting their invincibility in a horror flick, and surprise surprise he's with the Center for a New American Security, saying:

quote:

"Every military technology has a countermeasure, and countermeasures against small drones aren't even hypothetical. The U.S. government is actively working on ways to shoot down, jam, fry, hack, ensnare, or otherwise defeat small drones. The microdrones in the video could be defeated by something as simple as chicken wire. The video shows heavier-payload drones blasting holes through walls so that other drones can get inside, but the solution is simply layered defenses."

Clearly proving they missed all of the points
  • Evolving autonomous weapons can find ways around your countermeasures
  • These sort of things could be turned on civilians who don't have an anti-drone 'defense in depth' strategy
  • not all countermeasures work 100% of the time
  • etc.

They were also against signing a law against developing autonomous weapons since terrorists could still make them anyways, with the very clear implication that he wants them for America first.

Just amazing how much he seems to be trying to be the real life version of Dr.Warcrimes and the young Ereusian warhawks.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, I had a whole big wall of text here, but ultimately it comes down to my view that Mihay's fights feel bad and frustrating because he draws attention to his bullshit, making it more clear rather than hiding it. Just big neon letters saying 'I've got plot armor, motherfuckers'. Just watch as Crow hits him with like four missiles at once, doesn't land a hit for a long time due to scripting, then smash cut to cutscene with a single bullet. Playing against him just feels bad.

Yeah, that is pretty normal, boring opinion on Mihay, but the other part is that I find Sulejmani, the final boss of Joint Assault, who notably has plot armor as he spouts off his entire backstory mid-mission, is a better feeling fight than Mihay. Partly because of the clunky, obvious way they tried to disguise it through giving him a (single) bullshit dodge move to keep you from hitting him during it, and how obvious it is in retrospect that this was what they were trying to do there. To be fair to Project Aces, it really is hard to hide your bullshit when the player squadron can be up to four Player Characters in super planes, so the whole thing being obvious was inevitable for that game.

On the other hand you've got Pixy, where they draw massive attention to his invincibility in a cutscene just to make sure you get your thematic awesome final boss fight, and that works really well.

Mihay is just really a fumble on the gameplay side of it, to the point of a meme about his invulnerability is going to be what people remember about him years from now.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Cheats on, kill as many MQ-101s as you can in mission 3. See if you can kill more drones than the Arsenal Bird actually carries. Bonus points for using a Raven with your own UAVs and becoming The Cooler Arsenal Bird.