Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

There's a tournament starting on February 4th and running for 16 days if anyone wants to participate.

You can play on any server, so you don't need to deal with SSH key generation bullshit. Setting up a team is as simple as designating a captain, and figuring out a team name. Teams can be up to 6 players.

There's usually a fun slew of challenges to get you to try weird, not necessarily optimal things. You get bonus points for things like killing player ghosts or playing uncommon race/class combinations.

The full slew of bonus challenges haven't been announced yet, but here's an example from last year: https://crawl.develz.org/tournament/0.27/

Vadun fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 29, 2022

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Vadun posted:

There's a tournament starting on February 4th and running for 16 days if anyone wants to participate.

You can play on any server, so you don't need to deal with SSH key generation bullshit. Setting up a team is as simple as designating a captain, and figuring out a team name. Teams can be up to 5 players.

There's usually a fun slew of challenges to get you to try weird, not necessarily optimal things. You get bonus points for things like killing player ghosts or playing uncommon race/class combinations.

The full slew of bonus challenges haven't been announced yet, but here's an example from last year: https://crawl.develz.org/tournament/0.27/

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
doing well with my first ever TeCj walked into swamp:1 and there was a hydra literally next to the entrance stair and one of the witches that paralyse you so i just straight up died without being able to do anything lol. dunno why i keep playing this poo poo GAME

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
ok time to play some more

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
have they buffed Demigods at all? been wanting to give the game another shot after last stopping like five years ago lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lady Radia posted:

have they buffed Demigods at all? been wanting to give the game another shot after last stopping like five years ago lol

I had a decent run with a demigod recently. You can hybrid with them. Just kinda boring.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
trying new races lately. i keep forcing every guy into a minotaur shaped hole but if it works? it works. also won my first 0.28 run but it was a pathetic 3 runer (as a MiFi no less!!!!) so i'm not posting it. the extended endgame is waaay harder in .28, like the hell force can irresistably drain you for 75 hp if it feels like it, each branch has a nasty constant effect (-8 corr, will/2, rC-, or rF-) and all the trash mobs are replaced with new branch specific elites. i think loot generation is worse also, you get a lot more artefacts with downsides compared to .27. i'm annoyed by how strong each hell branch is now, but i guess it pretty much was a victory lap for most of my endgame characters before so it had to change.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
there's a lot of fun new enemies in .28, like these books that cast living spells at you so you can get shot by 5 crystal spears at once or these dudes in tartarus that mesermerize you and always spawn with guys that fear you, so you can be stuck in place lol (and tartarus puts a constant will/2 penalty on you so they pretty much will always get their casts off)

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Muscle Wizard posted:

there's a lot of fun new enemies in .28, like these books that cast living spells at you so you can get shot by 5 crystal spears at once or these dudes in tartarus that mesermerize you and always spawn with guys that fear you, so you can be stuck in place lol (and tartarus puts a constant will/2 penalty on you so they pretty much will always get their casts off)

Sounds extremely un-fun.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Mordekai posted:

Sounds extremely un-fun.

it is INTENSELY annoying but i think .27 is probably too easy overall so they gotta spice it up. as it is now its pretty easy to go for 15 runes but in .28 youll have to consider your gear and capabilities more.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
.28 is out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s the ultimate D:2 ring

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

lol

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
never made the phish fan/orc connection before but now I see it. a proud tribe with low standards of hygiene, slavishly devoted to gods with little appeal outside of their crude, animalistic society...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i guess those phish fans have a problem with their grooming, if you see what i mean!!!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I keep losing promising characters to getting paralysed like an idiot.

I tried the Delver background as a change of pace and it's pretty funny - you start on D:5 but have some extra consumables to help you, so it's a kind of mad dash back up to the surface, trying to avoid all the enemies that you're horribly underlevelled for. I'm guessing that it probably ends up with you splatting a lot, but it wasn't as bad as I thought, I've managed to get back up two out of the three times I tried it. If you're really lucky you could end up getting your god really early as well, although I haven't done that yet.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BigFactory posted:

That’s the ultimate D:2 ring

Thankfully I managed to ascend still wearing it. Gozag's cool, but I felt like I should have been more aggressive with his powers. I ended up bribing zot 5 three different times.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
They hosed with the level curve and removed another level from depths. Didn't even get to hit the level cap.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I've been playing this game for 10 years and a win still gets my heart pounding.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Thankfully I managed to ascend still wearing it. Gozag's cool, but I felt like I should have been more aggressive with his powers. I ended up bribing zot 5 three different times.

gozag is absolutely a homie

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

I've been playing this game for 10 years and a win still gets my heart pounding.

lol yeah

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

First win since 2019!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Finally got 15 runes (on .27). Deep Dwarf fighter of Makhleb. Figured out that the key to victory in Tomb is Necromutation + Scroll of Immolation + Polar Vortex. It just wipes everything.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I’m playing this stupid loving game again

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
And they made the game 100x harder since I last played

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

crawl rules. The new attack of opportunity rules are awful

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I couldn’t even reach lair with my octocel transmuter so I’m gonna go back to my roots with Minotaur Berserker and maybe go for 15 rune for the first time ever

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Also been playing OpTm, got a decent run into mid-Lair last night. Now just gotta not gently caress it up. Hepliaklqana is op for bad characters

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Arch Nemesis posted:

crawl rules. The new attack of opportunity rules are awful

how does it work? I looked up the release notes and it just says the monsters can "launch opportunistic attacks on fleeing players" which is a bit vague.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Aston posted:

how does it work? I looked up the release notes and it just says the monsters can "launch opportunistic attacks on fleeing players" which is a bit vague.

They attack when you move back and around them now, like DND

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Aston posted:

there's a 33% chance that an adjacent jerk will get a free attack on you if you move away from them, but only if your movement speed isn't faster than theirs. potions of haste and poo poo like that help you get clean getaways from anything that's not, like, a swarm of angry bees or Donald or something

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

They get the free attack but also keep up with you. Basically running once you're engaged in melee is a very bad idea which makes things like early ogres or even a misjudged orc warrior awful. It also means that if you're fighting something that's tough but not dangerous on its own and something else wanders up, you're in trouble if you want to retreat to a choke point. So you gotta retreat proactively which is boring. Tramplers suck a lot more too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

They attack when you move back and around them now, like DND

thats an insanely bad decision

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

drat thats stupid. thats up there with nethack nerfing elbereth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i keep thinkin of new ways that's insanely stupid. whoops i turned th corner into a hydra in lair, guess i'm fuckin dead. whoops somethin walked up while i'm fightin a tough monster, now i cant retreat and its down to rng. whoops i got swarmed and now if i take a step i take likfe five hits. i'm like actually pissed off irl about that lol