Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Joan posted:

Even though it's not my thing, I decided to try this game yesterday and beat it on my first try. Don't see what the big deal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I just avoided stronger enemies until I'd leveled up enough from weak enemies. And kept doing that until I defeated the final boss. Oh and I made sure to equip any gear I found along the way that was better than my current gear. I recommend this strategy to anyone who's struggling

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Joan posted:

I just avoided stronger enemies until I'd leveled up enough from weak enemies. And kept doing that until I defeated the final boss. Oh and I made sure to equip any gear I found along the way that was better than my current gear. I recommend this strategy to anyone who's struggling

I just found a red chameleon ring and I'm about to equip it right now.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i have been playing this off and on for a decade and i need to finally kick its rear end or die trying

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

That Little Demon posted:

my set up is skills at 25% for fighting, axe, armor, and dodge

I die because I am a loving retard and get caught in stupid situations like 5 hydras rear end raping me from all directions and when I quaff a potion it turns me into a tree

try levelling just axe until you reach the minimum attack delay for your weapon, you should reach it somewhere in the lair. you really want to be able to attack as fast as possible asap. if hydras are a big problem also, consider blunt weapons. personally i always go maces&flails unless i find a godlike weapon before lair because i loving hate hydras.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

feels so sick when you kill a unique early on and gain 2-3 levels at once.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 92 days!

Muscle Wizard posted:

feels so sick when you kill a unique early on and gain 2-3 levels at once.

been getting this a lot with sigmund today, it kicks rear end

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Stuck at work. Can't stop thinking about casting shatter.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Muscle Wizard posted:

try levelling just axe until you reach the minimum attack delay for your weapon, you should reach it somewhere in the lair. you really want to be able to attack as fast as possible asap. if hydras are a big problem also, consider blunt weapons. personally i always go maces&flails unless i find a godlike weapon before lair because i loving hate hydras.

will try

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Got killed when I walked onto a beautiful looking pier and a bunch of loving freaks popped out of the water and shot 1000 blue orbs per second at me.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
lol

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Wormskull posted:

Got killed when I walked onto a beautiful looking pier and a bunch of loving freaks popped out of the water and shot 1000 blue orbs per second at me.

the essence of crawl

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
cool

OKAY USA
Jan 9, 2007
Good run
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718266&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That’s awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I’ve never seen those before they look fun

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
stats going into Lair

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
THIS FUCKER HAS RUINED 4 LAIR RUNS FOR ME, NOT TODAY YOU PIECE OF poo poo!!!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm going to stream.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

I splattered this fuckers brains all over the ground lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Wormskull posted:

I'm going to stream.

link, I'll watch

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
holy poo poo... I cleared lair 6

I think I'm gonna look for the orcish mines next before I tackle the lair sub routes

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
current skills and stats

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm on orc 2 right now and I think its the furthest I've been... very dangeous and I'm getting put in nets and hoping for the best

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
never even saw this before but going to skip for now because I'm doing well and don't want to die

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Audibly gasped

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

i cant wait until you start running into torment lol. basically, theres enemies that can cut ur hp in half at any time as long as they have los on you. the only way to avoid it is to be dead or a tree. its so nasty.

another run secured by insanely op drops (4 scrolls of acquirement in the lair alone, another hat of the alchemist (total op item)). i got a ring of rPois on like d:2 and i knew it was gonna be the run.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
look at this poo poo: plain busted.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

Audibly gasped

drat

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
streaming my best run I've had https://twitch.tv/ritoru_demon

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
look at this poo poo lol, not even loving going there

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
god loving drat it

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

[cracking my fingers at 8am, sunday] Okay, time to register and learn 6000 new words to play a 35 year old game but THIS time on the Goon Run Server (?) even though this is a 3mb offline program

code:
 Run Terminal
Sudo Retarded Goons Service Uptime

Mmmhmmm, but what about the 7 day?

code:
 Run Terminal
Sudo Retarded Goons Service Uptime 7 Days 

Wow... this is gonna take longer to get set up than I thought. Good thing I am not playing the regular program, which has been deemed annoying.

I guess it's time to dig into the metadata ..

Interesting... but is there more hidden deeper in the code?

I feel like I'm almost ready to play

Gooncrawl is just a fork of DCSS with cool mechanics. The devs on the main branch seems hell bent on removing stuff. I've had some 15 runers on main branch, then decided that archeologist class and fairy dragon is too cool to pass on.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mordekai posted:

Gooncrawl is just a fork of DCSS with cool mechanics. The devs on the main branch seems hell bent on removing stuff. I've had some 15 runers on main branch, then decided that archeologist class and fairy dragon is too cool to pass on.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

god loving drat it

Swamp has bullshit enemies. You had it right doing all of lair and all of orc before you did a lair branch. I usually clear a lot of the dungeon first too, sometimes all the way to the depths entrance

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bro why aren't you leveling fighting. Unless it's changed it gives you HP lol. It's more important than even your weapon skill, like Spellcasting for casters. Especially cuz you're playing zerker and they tend to really need as much HP as they can possibly get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

My first time winning both a Gargoyle and an Earth Elementalist, and they were both insanely good. I had 57 AC at the end of the game, and was casting Shatter and Lehudib's Crystal Spear with 1% fail rate. However, it was probably the scariest Lair I have done in a while, and Mennas was on Vaults:5 who was basically a hard counter to every trick I had.