Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to another year, and another re-up on 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1486729953966100495?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Important enough to be one of the first two or three assets sent to trouble spots, not important enough to fund or replace.

Gotta love it. The Gulf Stream proof of concept got cancelled iirc?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Having TMO show up and pack everything, including the engines in my garage was interesting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimmy Smuts posted:

gently caress PCSing, especially to/from overseas. Some people think it's romantic/fun/a-life-experience/whatever, but really it's a loving nightmare, and half your poo poo always gets broke, including stuff that can't be replaced due to sentimental value. I'm dealing with this poo poo right now and I practically have to be wasted to deal with it all. I've been back in the US for 6 months & haven't received my HHG poo poo yet; and my ex just received a lot of her HHG poo poo broken, and guess who has to file the claim due to bureaucracy.

As for the slow speed of this thread, I think everyone just migrated to the USAF subreddit now, especially since Slippery went MIA. He seemed to be the glue that held the SA USAF thread together.

Yes, but then I'd have to go to reddit, and I'm not doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1514233575549411328?s=20&t=pXYuV9JaH4Q9jUtEXImZoQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Everything between Denver and the Mississippi is hot garbage.

Pretty much. My only memories of driving home from FE Warren AFB through Denver across the vast nothingness of Kansas and Missouri was how bleak it all was.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hannibal posted:

Speaking of bases, I’m out at Vandenberg this week and it seems pretty chill. I don’t know if that would be true of an assignment but, I’d have gone for it.

I really enjoyed TDY'ing to Edwards AFB, wish I could've stayed. Its weird too because its out on the edge of Death Valley but its a pretty quick drive from there to LA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

Omaha is legit okay.

It is, but thats further north. And once you leave it, its also pretty barren. Nebraska State Highways are some of the worst I've ever driven on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

It's still between Denver and the Mississippi, but I get it. Your other points are wholly valid.

As long as that cool bar wasn't The Hive then I think we're okay. Harney Street Tavern was my spot. And I'm sure that anyone who has spent time in downtown Omaha knows exactly which candy store you're talking about.

I loved that Omaha has this near the highway

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

Union Pacific 4023, a Big Boy. Super cool to see and a very interesting piece of engineering and technology. I suggest anyone in the area go and check it out. One of the most powerful steam locomotives ever produced.

Cheyenne also has 2(?) I believe, one in a park and one that Union Pacific restored and run on a route to Colorado every now and again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The 2011 version was about 3 weeks before Christmas.

"Are there no prisons, no poor houses?" - US Air Force Chief of Staff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sacrist65 posted:

:nws: :nws:

Can this go in the coffee table book reprint?

:stare: This should be on a deployed Chapel ceiling somewhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1583516615173320705?s=20&t=4D_SC6n1lkQdPjl-3nYB7w

Finally getting those new engines I guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Congrats! Lucky duck making it the full 20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

A lot of the work I have done has been very IT adjacent so that may be the path that I continue into after I get bored enough to want to work again, or if I decide I want more money.

Welcome to the janitor's closet, friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

Hit my 1 year retired a little bit ago.

My worst day as a civilian was still better than my best day while in.

Hint: I never had a best day when I was in.

Gonna need you to complete your annual ex-USAF PT test. Please ensure your back and knees still work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sacrist65 posted:

For the people who ETS'd. Do you ever regret not sticking it out, even though you would likely have been be retired by now?

Sometimes but my health was suffering pretty badly and despite it being acknowledged as service related they refused to waiver my run, so it was out of my hands. I was also making plenty of money off-duty so kind of a no-brainer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
e;dp

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'd also be cautious, under Trump they were cutting back on programs that provided US Citizenship opportunities and they even kicked a few out and sent them home.

Among that, unless he goes in already with Pilot on his recruiting paperwork, then there's no guarantee he gets to be a pilot. If he goes in as Enlisted, he'd have to get a degree and enter the Officer Candidate program and then become a pilot. So there's some barriers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I'm watching Top Gun Maverick and I've never seen the original Top Gun before. I just have 2 random questions:

1. Do pilots really introduce themselves to each other at bars with their call sign or is that a movie thing so we don't have to remember two names for these people?

2. Does the call sign (eg Maverick) belong to the pilot themself or to the aircraft the pilot is sitting in? I mean like if 'Maverick' sits in "Hangman's" plane and flies it will he be addressed as Maverick or Hangman?

tia

Maybe in the fighter world? I wouldn't know that world, but heavies: Nobody cares about your callsign, most pilots know each other by their real name. The callsign is just a cute thing for your nametape. If they are joking around they might mention it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alright, was just wondering because in pretty much every media with scientists, they always make it a point to introduce each other like "this is Dr. Soandso, and this is Dr. Suchandsuch, and this is Prof. Blahblah". In the real world nobody is being so formal when introducing themselves to each other as peers lol. Everyone is just "hi I'm Bob and this is John" not "hi I'm Dr. Whatever."

Yeah, I went to a couple Nuclear Physics conferences, and everybody just introduced themselves as "This is David from Cambridge, this is Anna from MIT, etc." The guys who were sticklers about their title in casual conversations were always the weirdos at science conferences, so that tracks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn’t see the movie because the trailer had some cringe bar scene where they were all banging on about being the best of the best of the best, and also I hate Miles Teller and his dumb face. People tell me I’m missing out.

I really just can't stand Tom Cruise anymore. The guy is permanent cringe in my book.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Never go Open General

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Is it true that Security Forces won't accept folks who go open general? I figured that's where they got 90% of their folks from. That, and tech school washouts.

Nearly all the Security Forces people I knew either chose that career or were open general

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Top 3 picks: 1. Cheating (Testing), Cheating (Relationships), or Drugs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
At least you'll ETS after the Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

I still have maybe 11 sand brown shirts.

Good sleepwear and workin around the house shirts.

Yeah same, most of mine have been stained up by yard work and oil changes. Still love my military socks too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
B-1, B-2, B-52 all have ejection systems, among others. It's mostly the civilian based Cargo/Refueling/Combat Control(JSTARS/RC/AWACS/etc.) planes that dont.

Guess we'll find out if they ground the Fleet again

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If you have the time, drive to the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, its about 2 hours away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah the problem remains that doing cyber in the USAF just doesn't compare to the private sector income you can get doing the same.