Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Arc Light posted:

Stepped out to lunch to find four inches of snow atop my car in the two hours since I last cleared it.

Screw you, Maryland.

For all the GIs with brodozers around here, I'd think at least a handful would be able to drive in snow, but my commute to work this morning proved otherwise.
I got a snow day for the first time ever! It's like free leave. I feel sorry for the people who still have to go to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm still in, it'd be 2020 season 3 as gently caress if I end up fighting in WW3

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

gently caress PCSing, especially to/from overseas. Some people think it's romantic/fun/a-life-experience/whatever, but really it's a loving nightmare, and half your poo poo always gets broke, including stuff that can't be replaced due to sentimental value. I'm dealing with this poo poo right now and I practically have to be wasted to deal with it all. I've been back in the US for 6 months & haven't received my HHG poo poo yet; and my ex just received a lot of her HHG poo poo broken, and guess who has to file the claim due to bureaucracy.

As for the slow speed of this thread, I think everyone just migrated to the USAF subreddit now, especially since Slippery went MIA. He seemed to be the glue that held the SA USAF thread together.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The USAF subreddit can be good, if you filter out all the goddamn memes which plague it. I come to it for answers way too much , but it works.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I wonder if he's still as ultra-perky and always-happy as he used to be.
real edit: wtf am I saying, anyone in past 10-15 years is jaded as gently caress, i should know

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm a bit late to reply, but this is some wholesome news that came out of nowhere. I've always hated going to the states mentioned (FL/TX) for TDYs, or driving through them, or dealing with folks from there (with some exceptions). The people in or from them tend to love huffing their own propaganda farts about how great their state is. As an aside, I've noticed that the more proud a person is of the state they come from, the more likely that state is actually a shithole.
Good luck relying on EFMP to get you the gently caress out of a bad situation though if you really need it. That process is ssllooww. Going through the EFMP process ultimately screwed me out of $2K because it couldn't address a dependent emergency fast enough, so I have a bitter feeling about it.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I hear the BAH is too low for those areas, not sure how true that is.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The cheat code is to do married mil-to-mil, so you get double BAH. This apparently results in a hugeass house and plenty of $$$ left over, and folks doing this tend to like to flaunt it via USAF-approved parties hosted at their house, but I digress. Meanwhile, us divorced folks at the same rank are barely scraping by. Honestly, is it fair that mil-to-mil folks make so much more money than mil folks married to civilians?

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 29, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm halfassing my own epr because of the massive change in format that's coming. And just lol at how the USAF will handle these new EPRs

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I remember December 2013, that was fun. What was it, a day or two before Christmas the USAF announced they were giving 25,000 of us the boot. Merry Christmas

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Godholio posted:

The 2011 version was about 3 weeks before Christmas.
poo poo, I totally wasn't tracking that one as I was deployed at the time; just lol, I'm guessing Christmas is going to be ruined this year again with the personnel & promotion changes recently announced

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 14, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Sacrist65 posted:

:nws: :nws:

Can this go in the coffee table book reprint?
Beautiful. I wonder how old this is, as those look kinda like '80s-era fatigues

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It's ugly as hell, but at least switching to modern engines has a lot of advantages

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Congrats at passing the finish line! It seems to get more difficult the closer you get to it.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

What made years 14-18 the toughest?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Oh, yeah that sounds rough. Congrats!

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm 2.5 years away from retirement and honestly, retiring and getting out makes me nervous because I let myself become institutionalized.
Turning into a contractor is going to be one hell of a life lesson for me.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

You know what owns? Civvies as the Uniform of the Day. My previous unit was like that, and I can't wait for that again as a civilian

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

djfooboo posted:

before coming back AD.
RIP your sanity

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

djfooboo posted:

The good days still outweigh the bad days :cheers: I accept the clock is ticking though…
What rank/paygrade are ya? Life was alright until I somehow drunkenly stumbled into making E-7 & then PCS'd from a det to a big unit

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

djfooboo posted:

18yr TIS O-3E Nurse. My nurse job on the outside was killing me. This one the AF gave me has bankers hrs most days.
Oh, yeah I'd imagine life is way different as not only an O-3E, but being in the Medical side of things as well, compared to a typical enlisted job.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I really hope narrative EPRs make writing EPRs easier...but from what I've seen so far with the new narrative awards, the same petty nitpicking by SNCOs is still going to occur. Things such as using ampersands rather than the approved "and", & focus on pointless metrics in a job field in which everyone in it knows that metrics don't mean poo poo about a person's character. SSgt Dumbass who clicks a button so that a system can spam out thousands of automated reports & then goes back to BSing all shift, on paper looks better than SSgt Genius, who has special advanced training & slaved away for weeks or months on a single thing that is far more involved.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 11, 2023

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The Philippines still had a special thingy with the US government as of 2005 when it comes to entering the US military. (WARNING: Lame Basic Training story) My TI had to figure out how to track Filipino dollars when a Filipino dude was in our flight & had Filipino cash on him, and we all had to write out every single serial # of the cash that we had on hand & give it to the TI., so we could reclaim it after basic training

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 15, 2023

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Is it true that Security Forces won't accept folks who go open general? I figured that's where they got 90% of their folks from. That, and tech school washouts.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The enlisted force sure is sensitive about the whole beard thing

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

xaarman posted:

Not in the slightest. QoL and pay are superior in every way.
Does your job allow you to smoke the devil's lettuce, and if so, is it worth it compared to being in? I've pigeonholed myself in this job field so hard that even when I get out, I'll be stuck in a civilian equivalent job where that's a no-go forever. Kinda wish I went into something more normal, like medical, or CE, or MX (lol yeah no gently caress that).

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Shalhavet posted:

Lol my new ets date is 3888.
Guess you'll be in the USAF in your next life, and the next one, and the one after that, etc.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

That button must be so tempting at times. Get tasked to do a poo poo ton of EPRs and awards all at once, due yesterday? drat it would take some strength to not click it, I would be too weak.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Do socks breed? I still have an insane amount of black BDU socks, and this is after I threw out a lot of them in 2014. I guess I got my money's worth though, I still wear 'em to work.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hotel Kpro posted:

Up until a few months ago I still had some air force issued cold weather gear but I donated it to Ukraine. Pretty sure that was the last stuff I had
How did you donate it? I got a bunch of old gear I can't use anymore that's just eating up space.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

lite_sleepr posted:

Probably best to check the AF reddit (lol) page.
The USAF reddit is generally pretty good, though a bit oversaturated with memes. Leaked promotion results, info on how to make AI write EPRs & awards so that we don't have to, funny USAF-specific high-quality homebrew webcomics, it's all there. Admin poo poo like the new SNCO EPR form was posted there with details even before my Chief knew what it looked like & could tell us about it.
I do wish this thread wasn't hanging to dear life anymore, as getting a goon's view on stuff was useful. It seems once Slippery left, the USAF thread went very inactive.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

pkells posted:

Hell, we’ve got to be getting close to having goons who asked questions about joining in the original A/T thread getting ready to retire, right? I think I was asking questions about it when GiP was first created, and I’m closing in on 15 years already.
Hell, I remember reading that thread in 2005 in GBS when I was about to enlist; it saved me from doing some stupid poo poo & directed me instead to the chillest service of the DoD. Not that we don't have a lot of problems
edit: actually, the Coast Guard looks even more chill than the USAF, based on the few Coasties I've worked with

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2023

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

RIP your mental health, E-7 sucks if you're in admin-heavy unit & are terrible at admin stuff like me, and I'm not even an NCOIC or anything. Just LOL if I end up being Flight Chief, which I likely will before I can retire to dodge that bullet :shepicide:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Due to the high cost of housing everywhere, a lot of the lower enlisted are having to roomie it up a lot or live in an RV or whatever just to survive. I'm E-7 and even my BAH level doesn't fully cover my rent, it's not like the 2000s when I could easily find a decent apartment & still pocket a lot of BAH as a single SrA.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, as an E-7 I was paying out of pocket for a pretty mediocre rental at my last assignment. While at that same assignment, I got a job offer for a contractor job that started at $150K and great benefits, with a boost to 160 after the first year, regular raises, and COLA adjustments, to do essentially the same work I'd been doing in uniform but none of the admin nonsense. And the freedom to wear normal clothes to work. Would have been an absolutely massive boost to my paycheck compared against mil pay.

Instead, I extended my enlistment, because I'm either profoundly stupid or extremely committed to the Air Force.
What's up fellow dumbass? I just reenlisted rather than get out to work a nice contracting gig, so that I can retire out of the USAF in two years. I'm already having doubts that I'll make it without going insane, as being a SNCO in a big unit loving sucks. RIP my mental health when they make me a flight chief, which is just around the corner :shepicide:.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I don’t even know what the gently caress I spent my pay back then on. Like, I wasn’t a drinker, didn’t smoke, rarely left base, and I couldn’t tell you where one drat red cent of my E-1 money went. I didn’t have a cellphone as they weren’t cheap and ubiquitous yet, so I’m at a loving loss.

Was dialup internet more expensive than I remember it being?
The base Burger King.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Ugh, between this and my toxic flight leadership, I'm straight up :shepicide: until I hit 20 in 2 years....which might end up being 21 due to voluntary PCS due to said poo poo leadership.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I don't think I'd recommend the Space Force over the Air Force. After dealing with the Space Force directly and indirectly in the two units I've been in since it was created (in my prior unit as Senior Enlisted Leader), that service has proven to be very chaotic, probably because it's an answer in need of a question. One trend I've seen is that they'll make a decision about staffing, then switch their mind a few months later, without giving a drat about how it'll affect the USAF and the other services. I'm kind of glad that my current org no longer has USSF folks, as dealing with their leadership in general is like dealing with a bipolar person.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 1, 2023

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

And although the Space Force inherited slots at great locations, it also inherited some of the more infamously lovely isolated places too. One of them wasn't open to my job field until the Space Force got a hold of it; that made me nope out of crossing over after being in a similar assignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The Cyber Force would be so autistic that it would make Intel folks from the other services look like total jocks in comparison.