Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Godholio posted:

Everything between Denver and the Mississippi is hot garbage.

Omaha is legit okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

It is, but thats further north. And once you leave it, its also pretty barren. Nebraska State Highways are some of the worst I've ever driven on.

It's still between Denver and the Mississippi, but I get it. Your other points are wholly valid.

Godholio posted:

I'll agree with that. They had a cool bar and a candy store that sells candy cigarettes.

As long as that cool bar wasn't The Hive then I think we're okay. Harney Street Tavern was my spot. And I'm sure that anyone who has spent time in downtown Omaha knows exactly which candy store you're talking about.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

I loved that Omaha has this near the highway

Union Pacific 4023, a Big Boy. Super cool to see and a very interesting piece of engineering and technology. I suggest anyone in the area go and check it out. One of the most powerful steam locomotives ever produced.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Godholio posted:

Those names don't ring a bell. I bought a growler, but I'm a couple time zones away from being able to look.

It's neither of those place then. If you get back to Omaha check out HST. Especially on a live music night. Or not if you're an introvert. You do you.

Also HoH SkillBridge program wants a resume I didn't want to write. I have lots of EPRs and no resume. Any good and quick suggestions?

antimatt fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 13, 2022

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
All this makes me so grateful I've got a rapidly approaching confirmed retirement date.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
And after 20 years and a bit I'm done.

Okay, well, I'm on terminal leave but it's close enough.

The lack of work stressors made it WAY easier to decide to stop drinking. Five days sober.

I guess this is tangential to the thread but whatever. I needed to tell some of you all.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Thanks everyone.

Godholio posted:

Hell yes, congrats on making it to the finish line.

I think you're probably loving insane for doing it, but it's sure as hell an accomplishment.

Oh yeah, I've never really been sane, and I'm less sane than before I joined.

Wrr posted:

Thats good as hell man. Congrats on the retirement and even more congrats on sobriety. Now go get that sweet sweet disability money and some VA funded therapy.

The VA claim is already in the works through DAV. It's amazing how many pages of medical records you accrue in 20 years of service. No work stressors have definitely curbed the desire. Day 6!

And yeah, to sum everything up I'd say years 14-18 were the toughest, 19 sucked, 20 kinda just flew by. I've got some sympathy for my rank-peer group, especially as lots of them made the rank far earlier in their career than I did and are looking at 6-8 years as a SNCO to make it to 20.

Now it's time to learn how to dress like a human. And to figure out where I'm going to live. I don't have much family, so in a few months I'm just gonna pick somewhere I think I want to be and go.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What made years 14-18 the toughest?

Rotating shift work, apathetic leadership, MQ-9 support.

I know it's probably how they compartmentalize and deal with things, but god drat it's not a loving video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

BadOptics posted:

This is actually why I got out at 15; at best I was looking at 5 more years of being a manager (especially as I'd probably my MSgt before 20) holding 5+ additional hats, being stressed the hell out, and basically hating my job as I wasn't actually doing what I like (IT). The retirement would have been nice (though my wife retires herself in the next few months so we still have that), but I figured knocking out my IT degree in a year through my Post-9/11 and then actually starting on building my career in a field I actually liked, and has good pay at that, during those 5 years was the better pay off financially and for my mental wellbeing.

Yeah, I can definitely see how that would be a great choice in your situation. I may have made a similar situation but I felt I was so close to the end that I could just stick it out. I ended up putting on E7 at 16 years and 10 months, so perfect timing for that high-3 pay.

A lot of the work I have done has been very IT adjacent so that may be the path that I continue into after I get bored enough to want to work again, or if I decide I want more money.