Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Did anyone else's civilian jobs just get gutted? They fired most of them community-wise for us with 30-days notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Strike eagle

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I put in my sep paperwork today. It's been fun, but I need a sabbatical from work.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Good memory! No. Have been stateside for a few years now. First assignment really was the best through, with and without the rose-tinted glasses. People are more settled here.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I'm watching Top Gun Maverick and I've never seen the original Top Gun before. I just have 2 random questions:

1. Do pilots really introduce themselves to each other at bars with their call sign or is that a movie thing so we don't have to remember two names for these people?

2. Does the call sign (eg Maverick) belong to the pilot themself or to the aircraft the pilot is sitting in? I mean like if 'Maverick' sits in "Hangman's" plane and flies it will he be addressed as Maverick or Hangman?

tia

e: i just realized i posted in the wrong thread about top gun. my bad, no shade intended. im just a dumb person that sees planes and think airforce.

1) Yes.

2) Pilot. The pilot will also have a flying callsign, which everyone in the formation uses. For example, Maverick might fly with the *flying* callsign "Polaroid". Then his formation with all members in it would use that. So, Rooster might say "Polaroid 69, weapon away". This callsign would be for every formation Mav leads. The plane might also have a nickname, usually assigned by maintenance. It may or may not be painted somewhere on the jet. The least important of the 3 names here.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 17, 2023

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Of note re TP's post above: Navy tends to have... Less-flattering/more humorous callsigns than AF.

Given some of the less appropriate callsigns in the AF have gotten the axe over the past few years, I can't imagine Navy callsigns have faired well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's hilarious