Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

djfooboo posted:

Even the USAF Reddit quality is down lately. Too many “What’s the craziest thing you’ve heard of” threads.

To add to discussion: That rapey Public Affairs E-9(s) getting a TSgt retirement is pretty horrible. Shoulda got das boot.

Whoah, I hadn't heard of this one? Not too long after I left WPAFB the command chief of AFMC got in trouble for inappropriate sexytimes. (story is from 2011... I left in 2010) https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna41239826

C'mon chiefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

lite_sleepr posted:

A full bird no doubt

:synpa:

He was a Major back in the day right? Hell he might be a BGen at this point (!)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I mean, there are non-pilot GOs in the Air Force, just not that many of course. I figured there were probably a few MX GO billets out there, maybe at SAF or Air Staff and some Maintenance Center of Excellence somewhere. Back in the day comm had a few 1, 2 and even 3 star billets. There's probably more now that cyber is a thing.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Oh yeah, A4/J4 billets make sense for mx.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Also: I never once met a prior enlisted officer that was worth a good goddamn in the USAF. The utter loving epitome of FYGM and pulling the ladder up behind themselves. I feel like enlisting should be a bar to commissioning based on my lived experience. But I’m old bitter and jaded.

In fact? Ignore me. And this post.

I choose not to! Take that.

All anecdotal of course but I attended OTS so knew plenty of prior enlisted folks from there, and met a few in my time in. I would call it an even mix, and I knew several who were top notch officers. YMMV.

I actually had a conversation with a retired Navy colleague of mine who was a Navy mustang; the difference in cultural handling of prior enlisted officers is interesting. (e.g. Navy Limited Duty Officers, vs basically nothing on the AF side)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Speaking of bases, I’m out at Vandenberg this week and it seems pretty chill. I don’t know if that would be true of an assignment but, I’d have gone for it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

pkells posted:

Hell, we’ve got to be getting close to having goons who asked questions about joining in the original A/T thread getting ready to retire, right? I think I was asking questions about it when GiP was first created, and I’m closing in on 15 years already.

I don’t remember specifically but I went to OTS in 2004 and I have been active here since 2001 or so. So I probably at least talked about it back then. (I got out in 2010 so no retirement for me)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Hotel Kpro posted:

It’s something else every few years. Was it 2014 they almost couldn’t pay everyone and furloughed the government side? Surely they’ll be better prepared in the future

Yes, the famous "sequestration." It hit a lot of contractors hard too since the money wasn't flowing. The contract I was on at the time was funded so we kept working but I had a lot of coworkers who did "training" for a month while stuff got unscrewed.

When I was in, late 2000's we had PCS extensions because they were trying to save money by having people move less. What's old is new again I guess.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
USAF 2023: Push the button before I get sent to Scott or some poo poo

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Definitely go the officer route if you already have a degree.

I work with the cyber folks in Space Force (Delta 6), they certainly have a lot of challenges. I would have liked it when I was in, because I like Colorado, Vandenberg, etc. and I like the space mission. But there’s a lot more variety of work in the regular Air Force cyber world.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
You’ll all just get transferred to the new Cyber Force anyway.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

will they wear tron guy suits as uniforms

also wtf is this

what does this have to do with configuring firewalls and trawling through SIEM logs to try and figure out if you've been popped by the PLA or not

There are people working on virtual ship bridge sims and this appears to be one of them. The screen thing is weird though. Given that's an OG Oculus Rift that picture is pretty old. Of course, not a cyber thing at all (unless your source claims it to be, which would be weird).

Knives Amilli posted:

i personally dont think we will ever see one. i think the various branches/agencies wont budge on it due to the additional manning that having Cyber assets brings.

There's more support than you think, I am seeing a lot of lobbying for it. Originally just from places like MCPA (who of course would support it) but I've seen more articles coming out about it and now SASC is talking about a study.

https://defensescoop.com/2023/06/23/senate-armed-services-committee-directs-independent-assessment-for-creating-a-cyber-force/

This all came up back when Cyber Command was originally created - the Services were able to prevent it back then (although the Air Force made their play for "ALL of cyber" and lost, of course). Now I'm not so sure if they'll keep it from happening, much like Space Force. Personally I'm not entirely convinced of the utility - maybe if they just split off CNMF and the CPTs, but splitting off all cyber personnel seems shortsighted.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I spent 4 months combined at Maxwell. (3 for OTS, 1 for ASBC). I’m also sorry. It’s been nearly 20 years so I can’t help on the visit front, except to say you’ll be in Montgomery, not Birmingham. Maybe drive down to Mobile? Or visit the naval air museum at Pensacola? I think there is some sort of museum over at Gunter Annex too.

The air park is nice. I think the street is OODA Loop because the AF’s doctrine center is on it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

There was a place called Blue Burrito that was good, but it might be because we'd been eating chow hall for 3 months. That was also 19 years ago, almost to the day.

You were a few classes after me as I recall. (I commissioned in August. Maxwell in the summer is.. not fun.). 19 years ago right now I was back in Germany for a few weeks after attending ASBC (in Nov/Dec) and then turning right around to go to comm officer training at Keesler in Jan/Feb.

We used to go to this place called El Rey Burrito Lounge, it was sort of a dive but was very chill.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Knives Amilli posted:

just got off the AFA symposium all call. Allvin is saying WOs are only for cyber and that they will be very hesitant to expand the program to other career fields.

Which reads to me as: "we need to attract SPERGY NERDS to program AI for advanced targeting and battlefield management and migration to cloud services.... and we know our best pilots would never commission again if they could go Warrant"

I haven't seen any details yet but this makes sense to me; it helps with several things bad about cyber - people get out early so they're understaffed, they can stay in a lot longer doing basically the same kind of work, I'm guessing the WO pay scale is a little higher so they can at least pay people more and they can keep them in specialized units (e.g. CPTs) vs having to spread them out to the rest of the force.

Maybe if it's successful they'll expand it to other technical fields e.g. aircraft mx.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Having finally read some news, well, lots of big changes afoot.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-warrant-officer-cyber-it/ - no surprsie there.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/big-changes-air-force-space-force/ whoah all sorts of renaming/new commands/what have you. I guess we didn't have enough 3-star generals.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
We had stan/eval in comm squadrons back in the day, because we followed a lot of the MX processes and had packages that we kept ready to go out the door (mind you, I was in a combat comm squadron so this made a lot more sense). I think you need something that says "we need a list of tasks you are trained to do, and then we need to check and make sure you know how to do those tasks" - doesn't seem like an aircrew only thing to me.

Now, whether the current cyber training plans are good or not, is a different question. (I'm going to say probably not because as Arc Light points out it's hard to fit cyber into a sortie/generation based paradigm)

I also don't think there's enough support for a separate DoD cyber force and I think the DoD currently agrees with me because even though a lot of cyber folks are pushing for it, they've only funded a study so far. There is already a cyber force of the style people want, it's called CNMF. Just like there was a "space force" in all but name before, it was called AF Space Command. In my opinion splitting off cyber makes it harder to do what is really needed, which is integrate it with mission systems and other types of warfighting, not pull it further away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Late Middle of this year would've been 20.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that noise.