Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Even the USAF Reddit quality is down lately. Too many “What’s the craziest thing you’ve heard of” threads.

To add to discussion: That rapey Public Affairs E-9(s) getting a TSgt retirement is pretty horrible. Shoulda got das boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Well that's a first. I just got sent home 1.5 hours early from a phase 2 exercise because a contractor had to go home so the building had to be locked up. :v:
Nothing can stop the US Air Force!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Once you get that first star it’s 2yr promotion gaps for fast burners. It’s zany.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I hear the BAH is too low for those ALL areas, not sure how true that is.

Have you ever seen the formula for BAH? It's loving zany.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/BAH-Primer.pdf

You don't get a single family home in the eyes of the all-knowing DoD until W-3 w/ dependents...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Honestly, is it fair that mil-to-mil folks make so much more money than mil folks married to civilians?

If you have children yes, if you are dual income no kids, not as much.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Considering the amount lost on our budget I’m not gonna be surprised if we lose contractors sometime. Really sad because we are drowning even with them.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ugh, UAV seems awful to me. Gotta go back to the family and act normal when you just pulled a trigger on someone. Sorry Goon, hope you live well in separation life.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Knives Amilli posted:

any patches in here? Is WIC worth it? I just pinned on captain and am thinking of trying to in the next few years

I’d do it if my career field had it. It should keep you closer to ops vs administrative as you climb the ranks.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My mid-career Reserve time saved my sanity for sure. Spent 8yrs as 95% civilian before coming back AD.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

RIP your sanity

The good days still outweigh the bad days :cheers: I accept the clock is ticking though…

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What rank/paygrade are ya? Life was alright until I somehow drunkenly stumbled into making E-7 & then PCS'd from a det to a big unit

18yr TIS O-3E Nurse. My nurse job on the outside was killing me. This one the AF gave me has bankers hrs most days.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Is he aware being a pilot involves being fit as hell? I hate to say most people aren’t cut out for it unless they’ve been prepping. Also height requirements, although I can’t speak to those.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

17 years, 2 AFSC’s, 5 duty stations, 5 deployments, lurkers be lurkin’

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Godholio posted:

When I was a Lt I met a guy that made chief in 14. He looked my age.

I knew a 16yr Chief and that was crazy enough, he hit everything his first time trying, retired as a MAJCOM CCC, thought he might make CMSAF. 14 is nuts.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Overpaid enlisted!? What?

I have been beating the drum on how flat pay raises across the board are kinda bogus for a while. Lower enlisted need a higher percentage than O’s. Can’t find the data, but I remember reading somewhere the last time we had different cost of living raise was the 80’s.

As we ask our military to do more and more with less, they should be compensated appropriately at all levels, but especially at the lower ranks where a percentage raise equals less money than at the top.

My flight chief, NCOICs, and team leads are out there putting in just as much, if not more effort than me. I just have more buck stops here responsibility. Does that mean I should make twice as much? Nope, not in my brain.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I can’t imagine having to pick between Soace Force bases. You are really pigeon-holed into high cost of living areas for most assignments right?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hey AF goons, I'm a DAF civilian now and going to be at Maxwell AFB for training at the end of the month. Any good food recommendations or places to see while in Birmingham?

I never thought I would live in Delaware or have to goto Alabama for training but life finds a way to be interesting

Check out Volcano Hot Pot & Korean BBQ https://yelp.to/N0mlQgI6DJ

Best place we ate by a mile

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I’m giving my lovely DHA laptop a tail number now.