Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

lite_sleepr posted:

Can anyone imagine still being in?

Lol I'm still waiting to get on the reserve scroll because I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Has it ever been good? Everytime I've seen it, it's always just posts complaining about PT tests or some a1c asking a stupid question that could easily be answered by any supervisor.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
My old CC was on track for a star. Well either that or burn out magnificently. Last I saw him was as an AOC/CC. But yeah he told me he lost control of his career long ago, basically at the whim of GOs above him to pave his career. Wonder where he landed now 🤔

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Guess the Osan scooter gangs finally expanded.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/sky-warden-longsword-for-usaf

So yeah...which one of you brave boys wants to be the air force's first Air Tractor pilot?

Well this seems like 15 years too late

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Congrats! Civilian life definitely takes some adjusting too, but its very nice

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Sacrist65 posted:

I just don't know if 40k a year pension is worth this bullshit. 10 years ago that was a life changing amoun of money. Now it's less than the difference in what my spouse could make if we focus on her career.

Edit-
https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/us-air-force-gen-mike-minihan-predicts-china-war-in-2025/amp/

lol and this doesn't help in the risk reward calculus.

Typical AF fear mongering for job security. Saw tons of it when I was in.

Also no I don't regret getting out. I've been out for almost 2 years in May. My job starts at 9 am and is mostly remote. I haven't set an alarm clock for a single work thing since I've been out and it's glorious

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
A lot of salty E4s on my feed. lol if you're still in

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Yeah I doubt they'll do WO. All I saw was an AU plan about it, which doesn't mean anything. Even if it did, it'd probably be as successful as the enlisted rpa pilot thing they did a few years ago, then abandoned.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Jimmy Smuts posted:

This WO move seems to be serious going off unofficial sources, latest I've read is about some AF leadership visiting the Army's WO course, but I'm not seeing anything via official sources. That being said, I get actual and factual USAF news far quicker off unofficial sources (eg. Reddit, the ops floor, etc.) compared to big blue's outlets.
Just lol that staffing in some AFSCs is so hosed that big blue is finally considering bringing back warrants; something that's a sign that hell has frozen over and pigs have discovered how to fly.

WO won't solve any staffing issues when they have to cannibalize from the officer corps to do so. There's maybe a handful of careers that would even actually benefit from WO, but I haven't even seen any good arguement for them beyond vague "we need experts." Like Army WOs actually serve a purpose on a commanders G/S staff, which is not how the AF operates. So I basically just see the AF mismanaging them anyway.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Still not convinced we needed a space force, especially not before a cyber force. But a cyber command is a good step I guess. A lot of the rest of that reads like peace time air force with more annoying wing ORIs.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Knives Amilli posted:

question: one of my commanders and I were talking about the possible changes with cyber, and we talked about whether the stan/eval program will stay or go. My initial thought was if Air Force cyber will report directly to USCC, then what do we need Stan/Eval for as it is a ACC directed program.

He replied that stan/eval is a necessary evil in order to have a designated weapon system and receive Air Force program funding. Is this true? Also how does Stan eval work for platforms that don’t fall under ACC? Does say AMC have to direct Stan/eval for hercs?

Stan/Eval is not an ACC program, it is an AF wide flying operations program. Why non flying units would have stan/eval is beyond me.
More info at AFI 11-200 Flying Operations and AFMAN 11-202v2 Aircrew Standardization & Evaluation Program. Every MAJCOM probably has a supp as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Arc Light posted:

Because it's a CYBER WEAPON SYSTEM, duh. Just like an F-16, there's no difference really. That's why we give our computers tail numbers. And why, when we push out a targeted patch to outdated operating systems, we call it a cyber sortie and plan out the patching using PBED and pretend as if we can't step back and undo a change, because you can't move back to an earlier stage of an aerial refueling mission and this is the US Air Force god drat it, we are flying cyber planes in the cyber defense of our cyber infrastructure.

Absolutely none of that was a joke and what I just described is factually true USAF cyber operation doctrine, even though in a sane world it absolutely should be a joke, and indeed is a joke to anyone with half a brain forced to play along until they qualify for the GI Bill.

Edit: It's not science fiction. It's what we do every day.

This made me chuckle because I absolutely believe it. AF constantly trying to emulate flying ops & culture in every unit is some of the most ridiculous thing ever. Don't get me started on every space operator telling me they "fly a satellite" as I roll my eyes. I think this stunts the natural culture of other non-flying communities.

hannibal posted:

We had stan/eval in comm squadrons back in the day, because we followed a lot of the MX processes and had packages that we kept ready to go out the door (mind you, I was in a combat comm squadron so this made a lot more sense). I think you need something that says "we need a list of tasks you are trained to do, and then we need to check and make sure you know how to do those tasks" - doesn't seem like an aircrew only thing to me.

The concept is definitely not I suppose, but Stan/Eval is a very rigid and formal program to evaluate primarily the safe operation of aircraft. The whole checkrides, form 8s, qualifications, potential loss of qualifications etc. are all centered around this. I guess it just seems like overkill for non flying units. My brief stint as an ALO, we didn't have this at all unless you were JTAC qualed. Everyone else just relied on a training program & certifications.