Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/all/products/arkham-horror-lcg-machinations-through-time-arkham-nights-edition

What is the significance of this being the "Arkham Nights" edition? Different art, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/all/products/arkham-horror-lcg-machinations-through-time-arkham-nights-edition

What is the significance of this being the "Arkham Nights" edition? Different art, or what?

The replies to this Reddit post say it's print on demand quality and has the scenario on cards instead of a booklet.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

According to another post I found there's also an Arkham Nights logo on each card. The retail release was scheduled for early 2022 but who knows what that means these days.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kalko posted:

According to another post I found there's also an Arkham Nights logo on each card. The retail release was scheduled for early 2022 but who knows what that means these days.

I just got charged for my preorder by the Asmodee store today, so it should be arriving sometime in the next couple weeks.

I really wish they'd reprint the novellas with more consistency. The only one I'm missing is The Blood of Baalshandor and I don't want to pay $12 for a pack of investigators only for Dexter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Return to Curtain Call is insanely difficult. I'm 0-3 against it with Minh + Diana. Minh has trouble because Seekers rely on burst damage through events to get themselves out of a jam at 0 XP, but certain treacheries make that unreliable; risky at best. Diana can't hold off the enemies enough, even built for only damage and cancelling. That encounter deck is just brutal, it's non-stop sanity pings.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean, you should probably have someone who can fight instead of someone who can flex and cancel.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

I mean, you should probably have someone who can fight instead of someone who can flex and cancel.

Yeah I thought the cancels would replace themselves and the fighting stuff would do the rest. Reliably doing 2 damage a hit isn't the problem, it's getting in place to be able to do it. Maybe Dexter, using the Rogue cards to get extra actions and Molly to tutor up what I want?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dexter can do some good fighting, although he’s likely still limited by uses and charges. If you’re going to have a mage-fighter, it should be Akachi or someone who can split the difference (Jacqueline and Joe Diamond are a good combo for this.) Akachi with a certain guardian necklace has the healing by killing that might be necessary.

I’m running through a campaign with Tommy and Minh and they are an excellent combo. Lesson learned always puts in work.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
You don't have to beat curtain call. The best ending is getting all the vp and being defeated. Makes the next scenario much easier so you can get more vp.

You can fail forward most scenarios and do fine so long as you keep getting vp.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Kalko posted:

[*] Actions on treacheries and weaknesses in a player's threat area can be activated by any player in the game. This means that another investigator can help you remove a weakness that costs actions to discard.

Oof, I just found this out after finishing an absolutely brutal run of The Secret Name as Joe Diamond.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ordered the Curse of the Rugarou and Carneval of Horrors standalone scenarios as well as the novella cards from Gamezenter. Also put in an order on MPC with:

- The 5 parallel investigator challenge scenarios
- Parallel investigators with revised core art
- 4 Advanced signatures with revised core art
- Mix & match OG & parallel fronts and backs
- Full art ("Play-and-Share promo) investigators

And in the future I'm planning on placing an order for:

- June 2021 Taboo cards
- 2020 AN Council beta cards (Flashlight (3), Guard Dog (2)).

I'll post pictures of the MPC order side-by-side with regular game cards as well as the Gamezenter PoD stuff once everything gets here.

E:

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 7, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This is US only right? Cus you got me salivating.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

This is US only right? Cus you got me salivating.

Is what US only? The Gamezenter stuff? I believe they ship US only. From what I've seen on the Discord channel, some people use forwarding services where you ship the stuff to some intermediary and they ship it out worldwide for you.

If you mean the MPC order, I believe they ship globally.

Gamezenter print on demand on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine).

Gamezenter print on demand on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine).

MPC on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine)

MPC on the left, regular FFG on the right (images aren't mine)

The print on demand stuff from Gamezenter was apparently about a millimeter wider than the regular stuff and the MPC stuff is printed on Magic: the Gathering sized cards, which makes them about two millimeters wider.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah I meant the Gamezenter stuff. Sounds like I'm going to have to look into that, thanks for sharing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/gpm620L

Not mine, but some size/color comparisons between the real deal and cards ordered from MPC.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm thinking of starting a new campaign, either TFA or TCU or Dream Eaters. Is there is any vague character advice someone can give about these campaigns? For example, if someone where going into Dunwich blind, I would tell them "bring at least one character with high willpower" and "don't bring Patrice Hathaway".

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new campaign, either TFA or TCU or Dream Eaters. Is there is any vague character advice someone can give about these campaigns? For example, if someone where going into Dunwich blind, I would tell them "bring at least one character with high willpower" and "don't bring Patrice Hathaway".

TFA: Have someone who can manage enemies without killing them, including non-humanoids. Archaeologist characters will be a good theme match. Pick characters with the expectation that they will get trauma.

TCU: Nothing super specific that I can think of? Silver Twilight characters will tie into the story somewhat, but aren't required.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Nebrilos posted:

In TCU, without the return to set, will is the most important stat by a whole lot and agility is kinda useless vs treacheries. Playing a mystic feels heavily rewarded and rogues kinda suck.

Last time we played it without the return to set I warned everyone ahead of time and the one guy who didn't listen complained the entire campaign, it really ruined the experience.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the advice

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

We are playing TCU currently, and because one player was making a support-focused Carolyn (who gains resources by healing horror,) I had the bright idea of making a character with the lowest willpower possible who would basically dump stat sanity. Don’t be like me!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s viable in return to TCU. (Someone online also made a parallel Carolyn, where instead of hypnotic therapy she can take horror to give people boosts on their failed WP checks.)

We are going through as Danielle and Trish and certainly all the evasion is helpful. So is hitting the recurring boss with a sledgehammer(4).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m not sure how our party will fare at this point. The other two players are a little less invested in figuring out crunchy game stuff than me and both made generalist characters, one Carolyn who focuses on healing horror and dealing lumps of fixed damage with event cards and allies that have damage reflect traits, and a Jim that is focused on mitigating negative chaos pulls to provide relatively even results across all kinds of tests.

I’m running Joe Diamond with a focus on being able to peel clues. It’s a fun deck that has several cards that combo into each other when the final clue is taken from a location, giving a burst of bonus clues and resources with a solid hand.

The real trouble, I think, is that Carolyn has a poor action economy. Her player spends lots of turns drawing cards, and her damage output is not that high either- especially considering that her damage relies on having a high rate of card draw.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

With mostly blue and very little yellow, Carolyn doesn’t have ‘good’ action economy. With solemn vow, Peter and the stones, she can do what she does best with zero actions a turn, but she doesn’t have a way to gain acceleration on investigation. She has some huge damage punches like dynamite and gang up, and can take the new guardian/mystic spells, but it’s not a linear “three actions of turn lead to two clues” kind of thing.

Everything is situational and often indirect. Enchant weapon, sword cane, call for back up, stick to the plan (with dynamite, teamwork, and ever vigilant), scientific theory(1), liquid courage, you could even go for spirit of humanity or cheat death.

(You can become direct but it takes a party wide effort; Dexter can give her things with black market and she can do fine with attack or clue spells. You can also give her the book of psalms to juice the bag, and fish for blessed tokens, with blessing of the sun being helpful.)

Sister Mary is similar but has better spell and weapon access. Both her and Dr. Fern can supercharge the efficiency and economy of other people, but it’s going to be indirect. (If you wanted to be extremely direct, pair with Agnes and a flexer like Joe or Winnie. Just Carolyn and Agnes together have a problem where they need spells to really get started on offense or defense.)

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 14, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Last time my group ran Carolyn she did real well and the player had a lot of fun. It was in a 4 player group where she was the secondary cluever (at times outperforming the seeker if the seeker had a lovely mulligan and took a while to set up though) and Skids was the secondary fighter (using the bow and Venturer for reloads) who could also grab some clues (lockpicks & some rogue events mainly). 4th player was Mark as primary fighter going for the sniper build with the Springfield (before the errata to make that easier/better). All in all the other decks were a bit on the expensive side and low on sanity so really appreciated Carolyn helping them out.

Pretty sure the list was close to this:
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/19724/carolyn-big-ma-am-on-campus-hard-mode-1.0

This was before Edge of Earth was released and before we had most of the Innsmouth cycle, so good chance you can optimize the deck. Also someone else was using Mr Rook so Carolyn ran Alice Luxley instead and that worked real well. We also cut the Painkillers for I think Scene of the Crime or something like that and she teched into Protective Incantation to use all that free cash to gently caress up the chaos bag later on. This was in a RtTFA campaign.

Pretty sure she wasn't running Self-Sacrifice either but not sure what we went with instead. Good other cards to consider are Crack the Case, Deny Existence, Logical Reasoning, Eureka and Safeguard (probably pick either this or Pathfinder rather than both).

Cool Carolyn tricks are:
1. Shrewd Analysis + Ancient Stone. Carolyn's only got 1 legal target for the upgraded Ancient Stone (and it's also the one you want!) so this just means you can upgrade into both cards for 5 XP total rather than 8.
2. Stick to the Plan + 1 copy of Astounding Revelation. SttP searches your whole deck, so you always find the AR, which means you get to start every game with 7 resources and a card less in your deck before you draw opening hand and mulligan. Combined with Ever Vigilant and 5 or 6 static Intellect boosters in the deck, you can almost always get fully set up and operational on turn 1. Everyone at the table noticed just how fast this deck was ready to go and grabbing clues every single scenario.
3. Solemn Vow + Peter & Ancient Stone(4) on it's own: get them horror heals and free money triggers without spending actions so you can spend actions on investigating.
4. Carolyn really doesn't mind a mental trauma or even two, it just means her elder sign ability is online from turn 1 action 1 onwards. This means in RtTFA she can spend all the XP she got in Threads of Fate to make sure the party is outfitted with all the poo poo you need rather than having to pay the hospital. Also works if at least 1 high sanity other investigator is in the group; just turns on the Solemn Vows faster.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 14, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Unfortunately, we went straight from Dunwich to TCU, so we don’t have many of the cards that people seem to consider key for Carolyn. We’re doing alright, considering.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

So I've felt that with deck builders like Legendary, where there's some scheme that you're trying to race while everyone is trying to get their decks sorted, the fewer the players the better. Two players that have had two turns a piece will have better decks than four players that have only had one, and a easier time dealing with the baddies.

Is Arkham similar in that regard? Do fewer players/investigators have an easier time since they can get their boards set up more quickly, or does the flow of the game balance out better with the number of players/investigators?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

So I've felt that with deck builders like Legendary, where there's some scheme that you're trying to race while everyone is trying to get their decks sorted, the fewer the players the better. Two players that have had two turns a piece will have better decks than four players that have only had one, and a easier time dealing with the baddies.

Is Arkham similar in that regard? Do fewer players/investigators have an easier time since they can get their boards set up more quickly, or does the flow of the game balance out better with the number of players/investigators?
Legendary is a market row deck builder, which means you have to build your deck as you play. Arkham you start with the 30 cards of your choice, signatures and weaknesses.

Arkham becomes easier with more players because it lowers the effective randomness. In solo, if you have a bad starting hand you can’t do much. In four player, if you have a bad draw other people can help you draw cards, possibly give you cash and assets, or cover for you as you draw your good stuff. People can specialize, with combat characters able to do a lot more combat and seekers having more time and deck focus to get clues.

Edge of the earth counters this with location wide effects. TCU does it by requiring more investigations and punishing you for going through the encounter deck, which will happen much faster the more players you have. In Innsmouth, certain cards affect all enemies and cause a deadly swarm affect.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I haven't played Legendary, but it sounds like they deal with player balance by having each player effectively get 1/N of the turns? Arkham isn't like that at all; instead each player gets all of the turns, and there is N times as much stuff to do in each scenario - the bad things you have to deal with, and the goals you have to accomplish, scale with player count. It plays well with 2 to 4 players/investigators. There are ways that smaller groups have an advantage*, but there is also value to be gained from a larger group with more diverse decks. (I wouldn't recommend 1 player just because of the high variance; if you want to play solo, play 2 investigators simultaneously.)

*gently caress Ancient Evils

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

I haven't played Legendary, but it sounds like they deal with player balance by having each player effectively get 1/N of the turns? Arkham isn't like that at all; instead each player gets all of the turns, and there is N times as much stuff to do in each scenario - the bad things you have to deal with, and the goals you have to accomplish, scale with player count. It plays well with 2 to 4 players/investigators. There are ways that smaller groups have an advantage*, but there is also value to be gained from a larger group with more diverse decks. (I wouldn't recommend 1 player just because of the high variance; if you want to play solo, play 2 investigators simultaneously.)

*gently caress Ancient Evils

Our group figures we paid our dues to Ancient Evils in Dunwich Legacy. On our blind run through Carcosa, I'm subbing in the Delusional Evils from Return to... Those give some agency and honestly feel like we just nuked a Tentacles token pull.
Unspeakable Oath is next. I'm gonna laugh my fool head off if my gaming buddy pushes his luck too far in this one, which I've heard might be a risk. He's so full of Conviction!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Legendary balances itself by having secondary editions of the game, where other players can help you during your turn. Normal legendary is not balanced for more players

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Me and my gaming group have been really enjoying this game, we started Dunwich a few weeks ago, did our second session on the Saturday just gone. It's not going amazingly (though I think the game seems to give you a bit of reprieve if you do really badly which we absolutely did in Essex County and Blood on the Altar) but we're still having fun.

I know/think we've messed up the rules for two scenarios and those were the only ones we thought we unambiguously won haha. In the casino, which we did first, I don't think we did the part with the pit boss walking around and attacking you if you gain clues in a location with him (I assume that overwrites his aloofness from the agenda right? It was awhile ago but I don't think we noticed that at the time) and then we really messed up the void wyrm in the museum, didn't add a resource every time so it remained a wimpy little thing. Not the worst but it meant we probably didn't really get the full experience of the Museum scenario for sure, the casino one probably wouldn't have been a huge deal if we did gently caress it up. For the second session I made sure to try and really keep track of everything cause I can only imagine it gets more complicated in the other campaigns and missing something like that again will probably really negatively affect a scenario or straight up make it not work/make sense.

In Blood on the Altar, we did really well up until our friend got the key to the hidden chamber. He got it with his first action, windmilled off and ran right down into the chamber cause we'd found it pretty early and it was under the next location (which was the one only one person can be in at a time, which stopped us being able to stack up outside and go in guns blazing), for some reason that was inexplicable to me and his girlfriend, he wasn't expecting a horrible monster to be in the secret basement in the hillbilly cult village. As he's the clue gatherer, he was less than well equipped to fight and he spawned a whippoorwill in the basement as well. He was insistent that we definitely couldn't get through it's health but for some reason thought we'd be able to grab the 15! clues in the basement despite him being the only clue gatherer generally. Then while we were trying to get over to the basement, many enemies spawned on us and sapped our resources. In the end we resigned and literally everyone got sacrificed, even poor old Madam LeBranche from my deck, rough times.

It's impressive the mileage they get out of the common card sets that appear multiple times, supplemented with the scenario specific ones to make an actual thematic feeling scenario that each feels distinct from the last. We're probably playing Carcosa next, after that we'll pick pretty randomly cause I went nuts and bought nearly everything except the Edge of the Earth campaign box.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 15, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I love hearing stories about new players enjoying this game because it's one of my favourite games of all time, and I would say don't worry too much about rules mistakes because they're bound to happen and we all make them.

The game really does have a huge amount of replay value and while there's nothing quite like running through a campaign for the first time, on subsequent playthroughs you'll still discover new things or find yourself in novel situations you couldn't have imagined, even when you know what's coming.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I wouldn’t worry too much about the casino or Essex. Casino is just an easy scenario, as you can generally control when things go loud and then get out shortly thereafter. As for Essex, in my limited experience I think there are some scenarios that are tilted against the players for narrative reasons. They’re winnable, but losing is the usual expectation. Essex is meant to be the true villains flexing their muscle for the first time, and it shows in the scenario design.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can leave the basement pretty easily, I don’t think that guy makes attacks of opportunity.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

You can leave the basement pretty easily, I don’t think that guy makes attacks of opportunity.

No he doesn't but you can't leave easily if you've used all your actions going into the place and then if the other people on the team want to move up as close as they can then they'll leave you unable to leave cause the connecting location can only have one person on it max. Just an unfortunate confluence of circumstances and our friend being a little too eager to advance the act. I reckon it would have been easy if we'd just all gone in at once, we have a Jim Culver, a Yorick and a Winnifred so the Winnifred could have just evaded him then shot him up while I also shot him.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the casino or Essex. Casino is just an easy scenario, as you can generally control when things go loud and then get out shortly thereafter. As for Essex, in my limited experience I think there are some scenarios that are tilted against the players for narrative reasons. They’re winnable, but losing is the usual expectation. Essex is meant to be the true villains flexing their muscle for the first time, and it shows in the scenario design.

Yeah I'm not overly annoyed about it, we're just gonna be a bit more careful reading everything from now on. We'd generally prefer to get the intended experience the first time since we're going in mostly blind for each campaign.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Invites in the OP are dead, can a some please post updated ones

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gamezenter added the fifth parallel investigator if you were waiting to grab them all together:
https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-horror-lcg-parallel-investigators

I dunno if I'm willing to spend that much on so little amount of cards, even though I am somewhat of a completionist.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Was surprised to find the retail pack for Machinations Through Time on the shelf of my LGS, and they also had the new core box for the LotR LCG. A bunch of LCG releases from the back half of last year like EotE and a few Marvel Champions packs are still missing with no ETA, but hopefully this means from now on FFG's supply chain issues down here have been resolved. :australia:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
What store did you find those at? Gameology pushed back their expected date for EotE to Q2 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Vault Games in Brisbane, but it looks like a few others have it, too:

https://www.boardgameoracle.com/en-AU/boardgame/price/PeQHMYKLpp/arkham-horror-the-card-game-machinations-through-time-scenario-pack