Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So, Undimensional and Unseen from the Dunwich Legacy, I've seen people say it's their least favourite scenario in the whole game and so far, I have to agree or at least I hope I don't dislike another scenario as much as I disliked that one. I was genuinely worried it was gonna turn my friends off the game entirely but when we finished they're still down to finish the campaign and were talking about characters they want to play for the next one (Carcosa is what we're doing) so it's at least not poisoned the well. Do they ever do anything like that again though, especially what I say below where they have you randomly pick locations and it seems like a combination of the selections could just gently caress you? I got advised to use the "return to" box locations for the ascending path and base of the hill in Where Doom Awaits because the base set ones similarly were apparently not the most well thought out for certain investigators which I will do, I bought the Return to boxes with each campaign for the storage and the player cards... and because I am a madman who goes all in on stuff when he gets into a new game.

After we "finished" U&U we looked at the locations we hadn't picked randomly and we'd managed to only get two that let you put clues on the broods at all and one of those was a single clue for one turn. One got all the buffs on before the second one spawned and we did such a good job killing the weeny enemies there were no abominations to put the card that gives an enemy contact sanity damage on other than the broods as well so they were just absolutely impossible at that point.

We're also playing with a Winnifred who only has 1 willpower so even with 3 clues on the brood she was still gonna have trouble hitting (she was good at the evades though at least). I'm playing as Will Yorick and had 2 allies giving me plus 1 willpower each but I kept getting the allies text box is blank treachery and the guy with naturally high willpower, best positioned to actually hit the broods, got frozen in fear and somehow pulled the -4 token 5 times in a row when trying to pass the test to get rid of it at the end of each turn so he was struggling to actually do anything. The latter thing is just crazy bad luck of course, could happen anywhere but the other aspects felt a bit overly punishing and stuff we couldn't reasonably have preplanned around really? Like if I ever play this scenario again with other folks or these people, we'll probably just pick the locations non randomly and that'd at least mean we're able to be strategic and put clues on them that we've gathered, then have a chance at hitting them.

Edit: We could also just be poo poo at the game of course.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Someone remade that scenario and the museum, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/px32o8/how_to_make_not_so_well_designed_scenarios_better/

They haven’t made another scenario as bad as U&U because it can be defeated in a few rounds as long as you draw mind blank.

I can’t imagine someone worse to go through Dunwich with than Winnifred. With Yorick, he can use Survivor tech to get rid of/negate the most damaging treacheries at least.
—-
Had a wonderful run through the witch house and then an abominable one in the graveyard, playing Daniela paired with Trish. I just didn’t get my soak out and that scenario really really really likes to damage you.

—-
Doing Winnie and Stella in Innsmouth with a new player, on normal. Double flex is tricky, especially with our best clue acceleration being from look what I found. First time getting none of the keys in Devil’s, but I’ve never been able to beat it completely without magic portal. I don’t know how this is balanced in one player where moving the boat can be your entire turn.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 20, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yeah Dunwich was the first campaign and it shows its age now.

To the credit of the designers, they have learned. Similar to how before Forgotten Age agility was just such an obviously less important stat. And then they did that again in Circle Undone. At least recently there's a good mixing in of agility testing treachery cards. This in turn makes willpower less important, which is good.

The game can get real miserable when a core scenario mechanic is all about one stat. Even if that stst is intellect, as Dunwich also proves.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 20, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been working my way through Return to Carcosa. The changes are very minor compared to Return to The Forgotten Age. The biggest and best change was to Last King, which makes it more challenging by removing that design flaw where the main roadblock would often get stuck in a place that's out of your way. It also balances the XP rewards between paths in Unspeakable Oath and makes it so a treachery in The Pallid Mask can't pop a certain boss enemy (but I think I assumed it worked that way anyway and could just have easily been an errata). The majority of the changes are just extra locations you get a 50/50 shot at replacing one of the core Carcosa places with. Unless you find it on sale or are a completionist I can't recommend paying full price for Return to Carcosa. It does make The Last King one of the great scenarios and has this amazing art on one of the encounter cards, but it makes me want a Return to Return to Carcosa (and NotZ and Dunwich) to bring them in line with Return to TFA and Return to TCU by really mixing things up instead of just a Version 1.1.

I got tired of Cyclopean Hammer, and figured it'd be at least different on a non-Guardian. I was wrong; Dexter is slamming even the tankiest Carcosa enemies around. If I don't draw an autofail, everything's dead in one or two smacks. Carcosa is combat-heavy with very tanky enemies though and I don't think Minh would have survived if Dexter was trying to zap things with Shriveling 5s though.

Minh is fun. Her weakness isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, because I usually have enough cards in hand to commit three skills, or else I just bring back my Glimmer of Hopes. I'm Scavenging a Necronomicon, but it was much more interesting running 2x Ice Pick and 2x Eon Chart and deciding which one to Scavenge back, when to use them, etc.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
That card art rules, I wish they would branch out like that a little more often. There’s a cool Romare Bearden style piece on one of the TCU player cards, as well.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 22, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My MPC order of a bunch of the print-and-play stuff came in today, so I took some pictures of them to compare with the regular print stuff as well as the print-on-demand stuff from Gamezenter: https://imgur.com/a/8awok4B

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Repackaged Path to Carcosa has been officially announced. I'm hoping I can find the Dunwich investigator box in an LGS this weekend, we're starting our first campaign, Forgotten Age.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is there a list somewhere that details how many cards, across all content, need clear sleeves and how many can use sleeves with opaque backs (player cards, for example)?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Any idea what the deal is with the extra divider tabs in the Return boxes? I've got the ones for carcosa, forgotten age and tcu because I like them for storage and they come with midnight masks, ancient evils, etc tabs each so I have three of those but only one devourer below and no the gathering tabs. I understand ancient evils and chilling cold because those sets get used a lot but why do all of them have midnight masks? Not a huge deal but very weird. I still have RtNoZ and dunwich to get at some point, but I just found it odd.

We started forgotten age this weekend, our first actual campaign with constructed decks. Ursula, Jacqueline, and a surprise Agnes when another friend looked through my binder and decided to join us. I had to build a second mystic deck fast. She was fairly happy with it and the game aside from being bothered that attacks of opportunity didn't exhaust the enemy. She picked the best supplies and the other player and I chose poorly and got wrecked between missions. We did the first two scenarios and had fun. I'm hoping they'll both be down to finish the run next times I visit.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bagrada posted:

Any idea what the deal is with the extra divider tabs in the Return boxes? I've got the ones for carcosa, forgotten age and tcu because I like them for storage and they come with midnight masks, ancient evils, etc tabs each so I have three of those but only one devourer below and no the gathering tabs. I understand ancient evils and chilling cold because those sets get used a lot but why do all of them have midnight masks? Not a huge deal but very weird. I still have RtNoZ and dunwich to get at some point, but I just found it odd.

We started forgotten age this weekend, our first actual campaign with constructed decks. Ursula, Jacqueline, and a surprise Agnes when another friend looked through my binder and decided to join us. I had to build a second mystic deck fast. She was fairly happy with it and the game aside from being bothered that attacks of opportunity didn't exhaust the enemy. She picked the best supplies and the other player and I chose poorly and got wrecked between missions. We did the first two scenarios and had fun. I'm hoping they'll both be down to finish the run next times I visit.

A few campaigns use the treacheries from Midnight Masks. They'll tell you to just grab the treacheries and not the location cards. This storage made a lot more sense when buying 2x core set was necessary, because people who were in the market for a Return To also had at least one spare copy of each core set encounter card.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There aren’t many bad supplies in TFA. Some aren’t useful till the middle or the end of the campaign.
The problem with double mystic is there aren’t a lot of xp allies, especially if you don’t have edge of the earth. At least Agnes can take some survivor ones, and have fun with leveled up Peter S. And it would be possible for Ursula to take the level three hallowed mirror to heal all that horror damage.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Gotcha. I understood why the mini-sets were in there but was surprised each Return had a tab for Midnight Masks is all. Would have made sense to have all three of them, or put one in each Return.

Hallowed Mirror 0 was useful so the upgrade is on my list, and I also want to upgrade into Charisma next to run both Dr Elli and Dr Milan. I haven't gotten to try Jake yet. Our group has a love of allies from Marvel Champions and if we make it to another campaign I'll probably give one of them a sled dog deck which is looking fun in Team Covenant's current EotE run on youtube.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Is there such a thing as a storage box completely size-matched with the Return To boxes?
There are enough official standalone scenarios and of course fan-created sets to fill one or more. I'd like to be able to store it all together nicely.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lmao we just tanked For The Greater Good so hard that we decided to start over. First time we’ve ever contested the results of a scenario.

There is an enemy in the encounter deck, Knight of the Inner Circle (or maybe it’s the other “knight” enemy,) who can have either 1 or 2 doom on him, your choice. You can parley with wit or intellect to convert his doom into clues, suffering his attack on failure. There is also a treachery card that places two doom on the nearest cultist enemy. We drew both of those on the same turn, and then I don’t exactly remember how, but he ended up getting a fifth doom on him, also. Five of eight doom on round one.

I was game for it, given that he presented the unique opportunity to offer us five easy clues if I focused some actions on him. I went down to where he was at and spent a full turn on parley. Three cultist tokens (-X, where X is the highest number of doom in play on a cultist enemy) in a row.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 28, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Handcuffs are extremely useful for cultist scenarios and TCU has a lot of cultist scenarios. It was a difference between our repeated failed Trish/Daniella runs our cakewalk Rita/Joe run. (One thing we noticed this time that made a huge difference: not every cultist has the silver twilight trait, which means many of them can be killed with impunity.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So dunwich expansion is the one to get if you're just starting out, according to the reddit?

Does anyone have any suggestions for dividers (that can fit in the Revised Core set I already own) or playmats?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So dunwich expansion is the one to get if you're just starting out, according to the reddit?

Dunwich was the first cycle of expansions they released after the game launched, and as a result it has a lot of cards that are now considered to be fundamental to deck building. It's also the first existing cycle to be reprinted in the two box format.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for dividers (that can fit in the Revised Core set I already own) or playmats?

These playmats look sweet:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/862781564/player-mat-for-arkham-horror-lcg-arkham

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/981576337/table-mat-for-arkham-horror-lcg

I think the shipping to the US was reasonable the last time I checked.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll pick those up, I primarily am only going to end up playing with myself so they're fairly cheap and while I don't usually like playmats, it does help me with remembering where stuff is when I've taken a long break from it.

There's also this which is just :psyduck: check out the video!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/866612106/arkham-horror-lcg-player-board-cognac

Omnicrom posted:

Dunwich was the first cycle of expansions they released after the game launched, and as a result it has a lot of cards that are now considered to be fundamental to deck building. It's also the first existing cycle to be reprinted in the two box format.

Yeah, I read the reddit buying guide and it suggests waiting for that, looks like it'll be $100 or so for both, and it sounds like you want both.

Do you have to do these in order? Like, will I ruin anything by doing the core set > Dunwich > EotE > then the other "packs" as they come out? I imagine by the time I feel like I'm done with EotE or Dunwich the rest will have come out in a re-release format.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, I read the reddit buying guide and it suggests waiting for that, looks like it'll be $100 or so for both, and it sounds like you want both.

Do you have to do these in order? Like, will I ruin anything by doing the core set > Dunwich > EotE > then the other "packs" as they come out?

To the first, the new model is that all the player cards come in one box and all of the scenarios come in another. In other words, you don't actually need the box for the Dunwich campaign if you don't want to play it. On the other hand I still recommend it, its design is a little bit archaic compared to the more recent campaigns but it is still quite good. You just might want to give yourself a few extra XP after every scenario since Dunwich is notoriously stingy on that front.

The second, there is no inter-campaign continuity in Arkham.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm replaying Dunwich, without Return, after a long way away from it. And drat if it doesn't remind me how far the game has come. There's still the DNA from Dunwich scenarios in every campaign, for example Essex Express is one design they've constantly iterated on, but there's a bunch of design decisions they've learned from:

- The decision-warping Beyond the Veil
- What if players want to change their decks? (i.e. expansions actually giving out XP after Dunwich)
- Maybe we shouldn't hide XP enemies in the encounter deck from the start (later expansions tend to spawn VP-awarding enemies at set milestones in a scenario, also so players have at least a few turns to set up before getting ambushed by a tanky monster)
- Give everyone something to do (Museum much, fighters?)
- Don't limit how cluevers can cluever (many times in Dunwich it's not about how many clues you can get, it's how well you can pass an investigate check, if you get what I'm saying)

The one thing Dunwich does better than most campaigns is keep the locations fresh. Most scenarios have two copies of a location, but you'll only see one of those copies during the campaign, which keeps you guessing. It's likely printing costs that keep them from going back to this, but it's nice not knowing exactly what's going to come up when you reveal a location. I'm thinking about how replayable the first scenario of EotE would be if I didn't know which location had the best shelter value, for instance.
-

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How does Stella Clark compare to a lot of the other Survivors? I like the look of her gimmick and hope she's not overshadowed by someone mechanically similar but entirely better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

How does Stella Clark compare to a lot of the other Survivors? I like the look of her gimmick and hope she's not overshadowed by someone mechanically similar but entirely better.

More like how does every other Survivor compare to her? You build her to "fail" at least one action a turn, but thanks to the Survivor suite she gets to actually benefit from it. Then you get to recover that action plus your regular actions to do whatever else you want, and she gets three copies of her amazing signature card that blanks most treachery cards in the game.

The only reason I don't play her anymore is that she's a boring unkillable ball of efficiency that ignores the encounter deck. I didn't enjoy the campaign I first played her in because I didn't get to experience any consequences of my decisions.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stella is extremely powerful and easily one of the best Survivors in the game. She's definitely one of the best solo investigators and is arguably the single most durable character in the entire game. Stella flat out it does not care what the game does to her, she can walk it off no problem. Even putting aside that her ability is incredible (it's not the original reason it's there, but it will probably single-handedly keep Drawing Thin on the taboo list forever), Neither Rain nor Snow is an unbelievably powerful card, made even more so because you can recur it with Resourceful and grab them all back with True Survivor.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The other question I have is, which one of these characters is worse than others to True Solo with? I hear that some aren't suited to soloing at all, vs others. Is that just really dependent on what expansions you end up having?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Generalists are always going to be the best True Solo investigators. Any solo investigator needs to be able to get clues, survive treacheries, and deal with enemies efficiently, in that order. As a general rule, Rogues and Survivors tend to be good Solo investigators, with a few exceptions. Mystics can solo but generally need set up so tend to do better with someone who can help early game, and Guardians and Seekers tend to be specialized, but the Seeker card pool is very, very strong.

With just Core and Dunwich, Ashcan Pete and Jenny Barnes are both strong at Solo, particularly Pete. Daisy and Agnes are both passable, but could struggle if they don't see the right spells. Wendy is good too, but you need to rely on Survivor weirdness and accept you need to Evade monsters rather than fight them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There are enough cards released at this point that you can probably beat any campaign with any investigator on easy, as long as you have a perfect prepared deck.

There are characters that are more fun to play with others, like Carolyn, Sister Mary, Bob and Harvey. Getting to use their power on other people is a lot of fun.

Generally, solo people should be able to fight and clue, which points towards Joe Diamond & Roland. I’ve had fun with Rita & Sefina. Ashcan is another good one.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any of the Parallel/Novella investigators any good?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In general yes. They all provide really good options. I think there’s five books & five parallel investigators though so your results may vary.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Generally, solo people should be able to fight and clue, which points towards Joe Diamond & Roland. I’ve had fun with Rita & Sefina. Ashcan is another good one.

Roland is a dodgy solo recommend for 3 reasons:

1. 5 sanity is really not a lot
2. his weakness is brutal, especially because 5 sanity is not a lot
3. guardian cards continue to be very fair, whereas you really want to include some broken poo poo into your deck when playing solo

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Man, Ariadne's Twine and Pnakotic Manuscripts is fuckin broken.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Not ready to pull the trigger on this just yet because one of them is out of stock right now in any case but would any of you fine folks in the US be willing to receive the five parallel card sets from gamezenter and then send them to me in the UK for non insane postage prices + a little extra for the hassle? They want someting like $70 just for the postage and packing which is slightly more than I think is fair. Like I get pretty big parcels from the US for $30ish quite a lot. I'd order out of the void as well potentially but someone is selling that in the UK for a somewhat reasonable price so might grab that now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any of the Parallel/Novella investigators any good?

Parallel? Basically all of them but Daisy are good.

Novella? The only investigator who remains purely a novella character is Gloria and she's pretty good. She's generally better at lower player counts, but she has a niche and can do things in it pretty well. Speaking to the alternate signature cards, Roland and Jenny have cards that are arguably better than their base stuff, Norman's are arguably worse, it's a tossup for Carolyn, and Silas and Dexter are probably willing to use both.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Roland is a dodgy solo recommend for 3 reasons:

1. 5 sanity is really not a lot
2. his weakness is brutal, especially because 5 sanity is not a lot
3. guardian cards continue to be very fair, whereas you really want to include some broken poo poo into your deck when playing solo

Parallel Roland can get a huge sanity buff.

The weakness is a bit naff, agreed. But it’s fun to turn On the Hunt into a cancel & clue card.

I almost always play duo or trio so my advice is limited.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Man, Ariadne's Twine and Pnakotic Manuscripts is fuckin broken.

More broken than Eon Chart?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Orange Devil posted:

More broken than Eon Chart?

I mean, pass every skill check vs. get two extra actions per turn. idk, it's a bit of a tossup. But also, I didn't notice Eon Chart used secrets, holy poo poo. I guess I missed an opportunity to be even more broken.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Eh, costs actions to use Pnakotic Manuscripts though, unless you're using it just for encounter card protection. Maybe I'm undervalueing it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Eh, costs actions to use Pnakotic Manuscripts though, unless you're using it just for encounter card protection. Maybe I'm undervalueing it.

Ah, well, it helps to be Daisy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sleeved up the revised core set, five investigator decks, and the print-on-demand Carnevale of Horrors, Curse of the Rougarou, and novella investigators. Player cards in "Petrol", campaign cards in "Jet". Unfortunately, I no longer have room for the chaos token bag and the other tokens.

E:

Anyone got any cool deck lists for when you've got a limited amount of content? I've got Revised Core, the five investigator packs, and have purchased the newly released (released?) Dunwich Investigator Expansion and ArkhamDB is coming up a little dry on decklists with that small of a card pool.

E2:

Looks like it was an issue with giving the website an empty query. Searching by investigator name brings up several decks.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I picked up Return to Dunwich, because I was fixing to get a long box to pack it all up anyhow, so why not get the nice bonus stuff too?

I appreciate the alternate sets for core encounter card sets, though it’s a little funny that they offered an alternative set for all of them but Rats. “It’s rats. What do you want.”