Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any idea why the Dunwich Legacy Deluxe specifications say Maximum of 4 players, but the upcoming re-release and its associated investigator expansion both say Maximum of 2? Maybe a typo since the EotE specs say Maximum of 4 players as well?

I'm gonna go with typo. You can see in the images of the box it has a player count of 1-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
What store did you find those at? Gameology pushed back their expected date for EotE to Q2 :(

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
You should be all good. The mod is great, I'm pretty sure you can still get updated versions with all the new stuff you just have to find the link on certain discords and install it manually.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

CitizenKeen posted:

Just played The Gathering with the Roland and Wendy decks linked above. I was playing on Easy, and it was reasonably easy but fun.

I got some luck - I kept getting Obscuring Fogs in rooms I had cleared of Clue tokens but not yet vacated. Wendy just trounced around collecting Clues. Roland got the Machete, but I forgot about the conditional extra damage until the boss.

I thought I had been getting some rules wrong because it was so easy at first, but when the boss dropped, my blood pressure jumped a little. "10 health, how in the hell..." But then I had Wendy spend a turn to duck into the parlor, grab Lita, and duck back, and that was when I remembered the extra damage on Roland, so Roland thwacking away for 3 damage a strike at 2 over the target made short work of the boss.

Good fun. I can see why people like it. Looking forward to more.

The Gathering is definitely a tutorial mission so is designed to be very easy.

Without spoiling too much, the next mission is by far the best in the core set and teaches you that you won't necessarily be able to achieve every objective, sometimes you have to cut your losses.

The last mission is not good and teaches you that you will die. It can be hard for experienced players with the full card pool to get the best ending. Don't let it put you off, the full campaigns are significantly better.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Guardian might be okay if not amazing for things like well prepared to double down on all the stat bonuses as well as the extra ally support guardian has from cards like inspiring leadership and trusted.

Does seem a bit thin on the ground to dedicate a whole class to it though.

e: ever vigilant would be pretty nice too, even if you can't run stick to the plan. Considering the number of assets he wants to run it's a lot of action compression and money saving.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 24, 2022

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Dunwich was also the first campaign so there are definitely some rougher scenarios where if you don't have the right kind of investigators it can make it pretty rough.

I don't mind resets so long as you are having fun, but my blind playthroughs I just roll with the punches.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Definitely just play the standard campaigns first. I wouldn't buy any of the return to boxes until you've finished all of the campaign's unless you can find a full cycle and want something newish to play.

Return to boxes are good products but aren't as fun as a whole new campaign. They mix things up a bit but it is still the same scenarios and story. They definitely aren't necessary and you could argue not even needed until you've played each campaign through a couple of times. Nothing is 'broken' in any of the campaign boxes.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Dunwich cards and campaign are both good. The campaign is a little rough around the edges but only in comparison to the stuff that came after which imo has all pretty much been exceptional.

You can make perfectly good decks without the Dunwich investigator cards but you will find there are staple cards in a lot of decks you see online because the first cycle was full of simple but effective building blocks for a lot of archetypes.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I would also say that the first scenario in Carcosa can be particularly brutal solo and Mystics can be a bit slow to set up. They tend to have expensive assets and not a whole lot of economy.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I wish there were more player cards that had parley actions on them. It would be cool to build a deck around it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm glad something like that got printed because without it I don't think I'd want to play Amina. It's still 6xp, but it's also permanent which is amazing and it readying the asset is just gravy.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The card by itself seems pretty bad without building around it and the payoff doesn't seem that great.

Without extra slots you are trading a card, an action and a resource to draw two cards assuming you don't already have any spells out. So one of the draws is replacing itself and then it is effectively costing you a resource to take the draw action which you can already do for free. If you didn't have this card in your deck you would have a different, actually useful card in your hand and be up an action and a resource. If you do have your arcane slots filled then you are trading those 3 things for card cycling.

Without having extra arcane slots it feels very resource inefficient, and if you are investing multiple resources to get more arcane slots you'd better have more reason to do it than this card drawing you one or two extra cards.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 2, 2022

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I like it, fits well into the guardian protection role and means you can consistently help against the mythos when you aren't drawing enemies. Safeguard is a pretty common pick so you are likely to be on the same location as a friend and guardians often have decent willpower.

It's also another piece of armour so you can play it with bruiser and add extra pockets to it for illicit hand slot items.

3xp might be too much though seeing as guardians need to spend xp on big weapons.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Evolver is such a dumb card. For 6xp I can either get 2 copies of Shrivelling(3) or I can get two evolver rail guns with +2 to hit. Same bonus, same charges and same damage but Shrivelling has a chance of hurting me.

The only advantage to Shrivelling is that it can be upgraded again and potentially can combo with cards that refill or use charges. The upgrade isn't negligible because only doing +1 damaged power action can fall off a bit in the late game.

At first I thought it was a bad card because it was only slightly better than guardian level 0 weapons but it's a bit silly that it compares favourably with a class specific staple in mystic.

I still don't think you should take it on seekers unless you don't have any fighter backup.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Just picked up my copy of TSC, gonna start with a few friends on the weekend. Looking forward to it a lot! Built myself a weird Runic Axe Vincent Lee deck. Should be able to pump up the damage numbers pretty high while tanking a lot of damage through healing all while sniping a few clues during any downtime. Or it'll fail to do anything well because it's a bunch of jank that has spread itself really thin.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

sirtommygunn posted:

Finished The Scarlet Keys last night. The final scenario is overly complicated but other than that, it's great! Not sure if it beats out Edge of the Earth but its real close. The Keys let you build your deck in unique ways (well, some of them do, others are just kind of there). I built my Charlie Kane deck in a way that would normally be an absolute disaster, I'd regularly run out of resources even when I started with 3x Easy Mark in my opening hand. Looking forward to replaying the campaign with knowledge of which scenarios to hit early for the Good poo poo.

I've only played two scenarios so far but in the second scenario in Marrakesh I managed to pick up the flower key that just gives me free healing on the whole team super consistently which just seems like it is absolutely gonna be way overturned when paired with Vincent's healing ability. Haven't had a chance to play it so it's still theory. Everyone has trauma from in the thick of it so turn 1 I can heal everyone and give them a copy of on the mend. The flip side of healing enemies doesn't seem bad at all considering I'm running him as a fighter and how often will that matter anyway. Just an actionless heal every other turn with extra payoff just seems extremely strong in a deck that was already doing pretty good.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It also means your guardian has to use an action to engage it to attack because it is now aloof, whereas evading would mean they could attack it straight away. So in niche cases that could be a downside, you are probably not using it if that's your team dynamic though.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Token of faith seems great even at 3xp. Being able to save clutch tests from autofails is massive and the fact it works anywhere on the board for any of the other investigators too is incredible. It's also repeatable every single turn and as icing on the cake it adds bless tokens into the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Aloof doesn't stop you parleying right? Makes vamp useful for sniping cultists