Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I have just picked up this game and gotten pretty obsessed with it over the last few weeks.

My friend and I are going to take on Carcosa with Jenny Barnes and Akachi - we're both relatively new to this game, but good at card games. Us both being flex looking for a lot of set up has me kind of nervous - and I'm skeptical about Jenny in general, but hopefully we can make it work.

If you were playing with those two two-handed, which would you assume leaned more towards fighting and which towards clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks, that all makes sense. Yeah, we're playing with a limited "cards through Carcosa" pool. We're aware of the taboo list but we're ignoring it given that we're new and not having access to everything.

Given the advice, I'm thinking something along the lines of this, then, for Jenny: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2665918

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Nephthys posted:

With Jenny, I would consider switching Machete for Fire Axe. I have some fond memories of Axe Murderer Preston.

Would you consider Dark Horse if your plan was Fire Axe?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks everyone for their help. Only half-related hypothetical: If I gave Akachi my Liquid Courage with Teamwork, and she used Spirit-Speaker on it, whose hand would it go to?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks, yeah, I was reading something else last night that made me realize in retrospect. I was reading "charges" as a generic term that encompassed all of the various terms used for limited use items, but it's just another one of them. Too bad! Using the Spirit-Speaker for endless slugs of bourbon would be pretty cool.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Curtain Call came out okay, with 5 vp and no lasting harm to either Jenny or Akachi. It was a close thing, though. We had a rough string of -3+s, and Jenny was forced to discard her Physical Training, which made all of the 4-fight monsters in the scenario difficult to get up for and caused her to end up with a pile of resources she had no way to spend. Ended up using every charge of Liquid Courage, which I was not expecting to happen. The comment that I had too many hand items was correct. I thought the scenario was pitched much higher than the intro scenarios to Dunwich - very few low shroud or fight target numbers, aside from the stray rats.

Took Adaptable and Streetwise, so I should be able to at least consistently Clue a little next time.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah! I like on balance that they take so many very different swings with scenario designs, but that's definitely one of the biggest misses I've seen so far. There's the big time pressure up front that it's definitely possible to not be able to control - but if you do, it *is* easy - but to make things worse, it's also not close to finished. What makes it easy is that without an actual clock you've got no reason to not play it as carefully and tediously as possible.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yes, you can exhaust it. I think you can still use non-exhaust abilities on exhausted cards, but I don't have a great source for a specific ruling.

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 9, 2023

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah I think I had a wrong ruling that I tried to get rid of right away but wasn't fast enough.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Even if his ability isn't strong, 0-5 Blessed and Cursed sounds like it might lead to interesting builds.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I want to play Holy Spear with him.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I really disagree with this consensus about Doomed! But not in the sense that I'm against people taking it out of their pools if they think it sucks.

For me, though, it's cool that the range of random weaknesses is so wide and unmanageable. Building so that I cycle my deck less where possible, or invest in ways to not draw my weakness, or in the worst case accepting the challenge of having to do the last bit of a campaign with no-to-low xp, are all cool challenges that I'm glad are available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I've been really surprised by how little I'm enjoying the Scarlet Keys on my first time through. I've made my piece with the guessing game that a blind play-through entails, but whether scenarios have been weirdly hard or laughably easy they all feel so untested that I don't think I ever want to come back to them.